PDA

View Full Version : boltgun question

bound for glory
15-10-2010, 18:12
are there differences in the boltguns? what i mean is:
are marine bolters and sisters bolters the same? is the marine bolter bigger? same caliber? i would think a bolt pistol fires the same bolts as a boltgun. just different mag capacity. i would also think the difference between a boltgun and a heavy bolter would be the heavy would have the same shells, but ahigher rof and belt feed.
a buddy of mine insists they have different cal. ammo. but i would'nt think this is so. i was a saw gunner. same cal ammo as the m4's the other men carried(5.56mm). same goes for storm bolters, i would think. logistics.

Lord Tyrannus
15-10-2010, 18:18
are marine bolters and sisters bolters the same? is the marine bolter bigger? same caliber? i would think a bolt pistol fires the same bolts as a boltgun. just different mag capacity. i would also think the difference between a boltgun and a heavy bolter would be the heavy would have the same shells, but ahigher rof and belt feed.
a buddy of mine insists they have different cal. ammo. but i would'nt think this is so. i was a saw gunner. same cal ammo as the m4's the other men carried(5.56mm). same goes for storm bolters, i would think. logistics.
im prety sure they use difrent calibers (think there is something about it in the rule book for the game inquisitor, free for DL at GW's site if im not mistaken), there you can find a lot of background on the difrent bolters as well IIRC

Karl MkVI
15-10-2010, 18:33
Havy Bolters have different calibre. bolt weapons have many different patterns, with variations on type, user, era, ammunition, etc. all the info you need should be below:

Bolt Weapon:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Bolt_weapon

Bolter:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Bolter

Heavy Bolter:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Heavy_bolter

Bolt Pistol:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Bolt_Pistol

Storm Bolter:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Storm_bolter

Should be all you need!! :) hope it helps

CasaHouse
15-10-2010, 18:35
According to the Deathwatch RPG, Bolters and Bolt Pistols use the same ammo, a Bolt Pistol just has a smaller clip and shorter barrel, and therefore has a smaller effective range. Heavy Bolters use larger bolts, though. For a more common-sense style argument, look at the size of the barrels on the models in comparison with the guy holding it. Bolters and Pistols are similar, Heavy Bolters are MUCH larger.

H.LaFever
15-10-2010, 19:07
"According to the Deathwatch RPG, Bolters and Bolt Pistols use the same ammo, a Bolt Pistol just has a smaller clip and shorter barrel, and therefore has a smaller effective range."

Hhmmm.... Bolter rounds are actually gyro-jets, ive never understood why there would be a reduction in range betwixt a bolt pistol and a regular bolter if they use the same ammo because the rocket propellant charge would be the same.
that being said it makes sense that they would be different calibers because of the differences in ranges.
but who cares really, with as basic as 40k rules are.... really only matters in rpg's and apoc house rules hero hammer games

Tethylis
15-10-2010, 19:09
From what I recall from the 2nd ed fluff. Boltguns, Storm Bolters & Bolt Pistols all used the same type of ammo, if you had a special ammo type upgrade it could be used in any of these weapons. Heavy Bolters however do use a different ammo type and are not interchangeable with the "standard" bolt type weapons.

CasaHouse
15-10-2010, 19:22
"According to the Deathwatch RPG, Bolters and Bolt Pistols use the same ammo, a Bolt Pistol just has a smaller clip and shorter barrel, and therefore has a smaller effective range."

Hhmmm.... Bolter rounds are actually gyro-jets, ive never understood why there would be a reduction in range betwixt a bolt pistol and a regular bolter if they use the same ammo because the rocket propellant charge would be the same.
that being said it makes sense that they would be different calibers because of the differences in ranges.
but who cares really, with as basic as 40k rules are.... really only matters in rpg's and apoc house rules hero hammer games

Could just be that without an internal guidance system, the bolts are just far less accurate when fired from so short a barrel.

So their effective range is severely hampered.

spetswalshe
15-10-2010, 19:48
'Normal' bolters (like those used by the IG and civilians) are pointed out in several sources as being smaller than Marine bolters, with smaller calibre ammunition. However, the background is hardly consistent on this; I think there's a bit in Dark Heresy that points out a Marine bolt pistol will break the wrist of a normal human, while I've also read of regular humans using Marine bolters without any problems whatsoever. Even the issue of recoil is a bit of a mess, so just go with what you feel like.

igotsmeakabob!!
15-10-2010, 20:00
There are big differences between the two.
Mainly that while both are Tearing, Astartes bolters do a full d10 more damage than human-scaled boltguns (the same ones Sisters use).
This only makes sense if you play the FFG's 40k RPG line.

Quetch
15-10-2010, 20:22
IIRC Heavy bolters use 1.0 cal, while boltguns use .75. I would have thought the sisters bolters would be the same as the SM ones, since they're also in power armour, but the guard ones would have to be significantly smaller or else they would break their arms.

AndrewGPaul
15-10-2010, 20:33
Looking at the miniatures, you can see there are several different models of boltgun - the Marines themselves use at least three, the Sisters of battle another, and then there's the ones the Guard use. Then there's the different magazines.

Heavy bolter fluff has been somewhat inconsistent - it appears the current idea is that they're larger-calibre, as well as being faster-firing (or at least having a higher sustained ROF due to the ammunition feeds). In some older material, their higher damage and range was due simply to the higher ROF and better accuracy - at least, that's how the old Confrontation rules portray it.

Mr_Rose
15-10-2010, 20:51

Except they're not gyrojets. At least, they don't use the designs created by MB Associates when they developed their Gyrojet system.
Boltguns actually a hybrid of conventional and gyrojet design; bolts are fired conventionally with a (comparatively) high muzzle velocity from a rifled barrel, and then ignite internal rockets to keep their trajectory level and velocity high.

If they were being developed as a concept today, I have little doubt they would eventually vastly exceed conventional firearms in terms of effective range, due in part to potentially correcting for bullet drop.

The table top version is, however, very limited in range for various reasons, and the 40KRPG versions are similarly limited for much the same reasons.

Kage2020
15-10-2010, 21:36
There are big differences between the two.
Mainly that while both are Tearing, Astartes bolters do a full d10 more damage than human-scaled boltguns (the same ones Sisters use).
This only makes sense if you play the FFG's 40k RPG line.
Indeed. And there's a point to be made in the last comment, methinks. :shifty:

:D

Kage

Eumerin
15-10-2010, 21:45
IIRC Heavy bolters use 1.0 cal, while boltguns use .75. I would have thought the sisters bolters would be the same as the SM ones, since they're also in power armour, but the guard ones would have to be significantly smaller or else they would break their arms.

It's not just power armor that allows marines to use bigger bolters. It's also the higher base strength of the marines themselves.

MarcoSkoll
15-10-2010, 22:03
Bolters and Bolt pistols, whatever the type, are 0.75" calibre.
My personal preference is to assume that Marine bolters fire bolts with a much more powerful "kicker" charge, giving the bolts a greater muzzle velocity - and thus greater recoil that makes them dangerous to normal humans. (This is entirely before the rocket motor cuts in).

a Bolt Pistol just has a smaller clip and shorter barrel, and therefore has a smaller effective range.
Argh. I've been reading various 40k RPG books recently, and being the firearms nerd I am, this is the most annoying thing in there. They're not clips, they're magazines! (http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/RagnarokEOTW/51840105.jpg)

(Of course, everyone here now thinks I'm a total pedant.)

Could just be that without an internal guidance system, the bolts are just far less accurate when fired from so short a barrel.
Sort of.
In reality, one of the main reasons pistols are less accurate is their shorter "sight radius", which makes them very hard to aim with the same precision as a rifle with a greater distance between the front and rear sights. (It's an issue related to parallax.)
Barrel length obviously has a bearing on sight radius, but of in itself, it's relatively less important.

Boltguns actually a hybrid of conventional and gyrojet design; bolts are fired conventionally with a (comparatively) high muzzle velocity from a rifled barrel, and then ignite internal rockets to keep their trajectory level and velocity high.
The common interpretation of bolters is that their rocket engines have a long burn, and use this to counter drag.
This is unlikely. If you look at many RPGs (that's Rocket Propelled Grenade, not Role Playing Game), the rocket motor is fully burnt even while the rocket is still in the launcher. Even Gyrojet rockets burnt out about 60 feet from the muzzle (reported burn times are in the range of 0.1 to 0.12 seconds).

More likely, bolts ignite, burn for a short time to get their projectiles up to very generous velocities (possibly in excess of 1000 m/s, very very nasty in a projectile of that size), then the projectile just follows a ballistic trajectory from there. It will still be a very good ballistic trajectory, as it's a fast projectile with a lot of mass (and is therefore slowed less by drag), but it'll still act like any other projectile.

A slow burn projectile designed to be used over long distances doesn't make a lot of sense for shock assault troopers. A higher initial velocity will still make it very good at range, but give it extra punch at short range.

The upshot of this as a design that you can get higher velocities without adding to recoil (which is what you'd get if you just made a more powerful "regular" firearm), but without the very low initial velocities of gyrojets.

Mr_Rose
15-10-2010, 22:22
A slow burn projectile designed to be used over long distances doesn't make a lot of sense for shock assault troopers. A higher initial velocity will still make it very good at range, but give it extra punch at short range.
I figure'd this is what marks the Kraken round out as different from the regular one; the explosive is replaced with more, and possibly slower burning, propellant, and the detonator circuit in the tip is replaced with a high density solid.
Possibly also the initial charge is removed completely in favour of even more propellant and also to enable sound suppression for stealth operations.
Which probably also explains the different barrels commonly found on Kraken-adapted bolters.

It would be a disturbingly effective sniper weapon in that case; almost silent when fired, accelerating to supersonic velocities at a few hundred yards with an audible crack, most people would place the firer hundreds of meters ahead of his actual position, especailly unnerving in an open field...

bound for glory
15-10-2010, 22:41
thanks, guys! i just "assumed" the boltgun "family" of weapons were used with some "real life" logistical sense...different caliber bolt ammo(at least in reguards to space marines) makes no sense. higher ROF, mag capacity, belts vs. mags. as a combat vet, i understand this. different calibers:confused:
but than again, its a game, so fun it is :)

Mr_Rose
15-10-2010, 23:04
thanks, guys! i just "assumed" the boltgun "family" of weapons were used with some "real life" logistical sense...different caliber bolt ammo(at least in reguards to space marines) makes no sense. higher ROF, mag capacity, belts vs. mags. as a combat vet, i understand this. different calibers:confused:
but than again, its a game, so fun it is :)
You gotta understand that, logistically, Space Marines are entirely independent of the Munitorum, which arms the rest of the Imperial war machine. They make their own vehicles, weapons and ammunition, or get them directly from the Forge World, rather than having it supplied by the Adeptus Terra. They don't need or even necessarily want their equipment to be too compatible with standard Guard issue gear for a number of reasons, not the least of which are basically religious in nature.

As for standardisation; Across the entire Imperium, that would be nearly impossible. I mean, consider that as one single world we here on Earth today manufacture and use hundreds of different calibres of ammunition, most of which have a number of variant propellant loads, bullet designs and even cartridge materials. Heck, even NATO's attempts to standardise a new common bullet design fell foul of politics in the end.... Even the humble lasgun comes in hundreds of varieties and marks, made from dozens of different materials, and at least two recorded battery sizes.

Kage2020
15-10-2010, 23:12
It would be a disturbingly effective sniper weapon in that case; almost silent when fired, accelerating to supersonic velocities at a few hundred yards with an audible crack, most people would place the firer hundreds of meters ahead of his actual position, especailly unnerving in an open field...
I think that you'll find the flaw to your logic is that, well, you're using it. This is going to get you in trouble on 40k hobbyist forums. With a small 2,000 posts on Warseer (;)) you might not realise this, and as a result of this you're going to run into the problem of people pointing out that the universe is fictional--because evidently you're not aware of this--and illustrate it with talking about "elves" etc. :shifty:

Just a friendly--and tongue so far in cheek that it looks like a scene from Top Secret--reminder.

:D

Kage

MarcoSkoll
15-10-2010, 23:27
I figured this is what marks the Kraken round out as different from the regular one
More propellant, yes - but slower burning propellant makes no more sense here. Kraken rounds have their uses at short range (they are, after all, primarily AP rounds, rather than long range rounds), so they need guts at any range.

I'd agree that Kraken rounds are focused more on kinetic damage than explosive damage, but I'd say they just use their extra propellant to get an initial velocity boost - that extra velocity adding extra effective range.

Unfortunately not. Anything that only accelerated to supersonic that far from the muzzle would have a very unfavourable trajectory, as well as an impractically long time to target.

FabricatorGeneralMike
16-10-2010, 03:11
Looking at the miniatures, you can see there are several different models of boltgun - the Marines themselves use at least three, the Sisters of battle another, and then there's the ones the Guard use. Then there's the different magazines.

Heavy bolter fluff has been somewhat inconsistent - it appears the current idea is that they're larger-calibre, as well as being faster-firing (or at least having a higher sustained ROF due to the ammunition feeds). In some older material, their higher damage and range was due simply to the higher ROF and better accuracy - at least, that's how the old Confrontation rules portray it.

Well, I believe that have been 3 different kinds of bolt-guns. There was the RT era ones with the magazine foward, then we had the 2nd edition one which the SM's of the era and Sob's had, then we have the Godwyn-Diaz patteren which came around in the 3rd ed plastic SM tac box. The Godwyn-diaz seems to be the 'one in use' now.

Personally I like the 2nd ed ones, they just got that retro feel to them. :)

Karl MkVI
16-10-2010, 11:24
Well, I believe that have been 3 different kinds of bolt-guns. There was the RT era ones with the magazine foward, then we had the 2nd edition one which the SM's of the era and Sob's had, then we have the Godwyn-Diaz patteren which came around in the 3rd ed plastic SM tac box. The Godwyn-diaz seems to be the 'one in use' now.

Personally I like the 2nd ed ones, they just got that retro feel to them. :)

but there are far, far more than 3 different types (patterns) of Boltguns fluffwise. or are you just referrring to the miniatures (even then, forgeworld have recently released a few new patterns of bolter)?

AndrewGPaul
16-10-2010, 12:10

Almost. The "Godwyn-Diaz pattern" is, IIRC, the gun used by the Sisters of Battle, while the one currently used by the Marines is the "Godwyn pattern". If you want to get really pedantic, the two new Forge World designs (the Umbra and Phobos) are different patterns again, albeit based on the RTB01 and 2nd edition boltguns respectively.

In addition, the various Imperial Armor books give various weapons different pattern designations - this could be as simple as one Chapter using the Godwyn pattern, but without the integrated round counter, or a different rifling pattern, or something equally insignificant.

MarcoSkoll, bolt rounds have always been described as being fired like a conventional bullet, then the rocket igniting after leaving the barrel - one ruleset even gave them penalties at short ranges because the round hadn't got up to full velocity.

- which isn't actually what you were arguing against, now that I re-read your post. Sorry. :)

Quetch
16-10-2010, 12:35
forgeworld have recently released a few new patterns of bolter

Those are just older variants on the Astartes bolters. Like the armour, they just look different, but function pretty much the same.

MagosHereticus
16-10-2010, 13:12
Those are just older variants on the Astartes bolters. Like the armour, they just look different, but function pretty much the same.

and bloody cool

Yresk
16-10-2010, 13:56
what i have read the storm bolter, boltgun and bolt pistol use the same ammo that is standardised. but its obvius that there are several designs and calibers. like previusly noted. the barrel length is a very important factor when range is considered. the bolt pistol is usualy fired one handed by all the models ive seen. good for clearing a room because you can keep your blade handy. but recoil and the fact that you have to aim using just one arm.

storm bolters are room clearers, effective as all when used and even if you fire at maximum range the sheer number of shots you get of give you a boost to your accuracy. and of corse their designed primaraly to be used by terminators that have so much recoil dampeners and scanners he could probably pull of a head shot at maximum range.

in the fluff its apperant that AS use different weapons than the AA but in the rules it does not come acroos. but remember that AS are still wearing power armour and that helpes alot to handle recoil and stay on target. the IG are a little worse for wear. but like plasma weapons they are to usefull not to use and some guards get boltweapons. i would like to see that in the normal guard squad. instead of a flamer they use a boltgun instead. but thats jsut wishfull thinking.

from what ive read. there are several types of bolts with different takes on range and AP value and the like. but it is noted they all have sensors to gain the ability to cause maximum target damage. krakens are heavy and powerfull, but dont do as much damage to flesh as there is very little left for explosives.
Metal storm frag shells explode before they hit the target and turns into hundreds of fragments.
i dont think they are sentient but i would not be suprised if a bolt can align to their targets in mid flight.

depending of the use of the rocket/misslie. they will use different amounts of fuel. rockets who are "dumb" munitions burn up just about everything in order to get high speeds but still have a little amount left to keep it steady but yes they have a ballistic trajectory like everything. some rockets that are designed for bunker busting will sometimes have a last piece of fuel remaining and just when they are close to their target. they burn of everything to get maximum speed and penetration.

missles, especialy smart ones like stingers and sidewinders keep fuel in order to stay on target. if we take the stinger missle as an example. the rocket is launched. they use about half of the fuel to get up to high speed and use the momentum to guide it.
when they are closer they will fire their rockets again to align themselves to the target, this requires thrust.
but its not like the movies where a heat seeker goes after a target time and time again is not real. if you manage to dogde a missle, they dont have the sensors to reaquire you and not enough fuel or wings to go in a huge circle and get at you again

MarcoSkoll
16-10-2010, 15:48
but its obvius that there are several designs and calibers.
Why? Designs, yes - but while I know I'm not fully read up on the Black Library stuff, but I can't think of any references that imply there are other (common) boltgun calibres. Custom models, maybe, but other than that, it's all listed as 0.75". (Except, of course, for 1" calibre Heavy bolters)
In fact, when I started talking about the possibility while in the process of developing my Armoury supplement for Inquisitor, people actually argued against it on the basis of no canonical support for it.

There are references to "Astartes Bolts", but these are again listed as 0.75" - meaning the difference is not related to calibre. Presumably, they're just loaded to a higher pressure and have a greater muzzle velocity.

I don't think they are sentient but i would not be suprised if a bolt can align to their targets in mid flight.
I don't remember where the reference is, but I know there are (rare) varieties of bolt which do have a guidance system.

However, emphasis on RARE.

FabricatorGeneralMike
16-10-2010, 20:10
I don't remember where the reference is, but I know there are (rare) varieties of bolt which do have a guidance system.

However, emphasis on RARE.

The only thing I have seen like that are the man-stopper or Executioner rounds that the Adeptus Arbites use in their shot guns. Maybe since some Arbites use bolt guns there is a bolt round that does the same thing.

Edit, sorry Inquisitor Thaddus also uses something simular in the second Soul Drinkers book. Even then I believe its stated that those shells are more valuable then Cyclonic Torpedo's, etc etc etc.

Karl MkVI
16-10-2010, 20:24

the OP was asking if there are differences in the bolters. those bolters are different. if they weren't, why would the Imperium have ever produced them in the first place?

the armour Mks don't just 'look different'. there are swathes of text and diagrams (on Bolter and Chainsword and Lexicanum, to name but two sources) detailing the exact differences between armour marks. which, btw, are significant (the differences, that is).

AndrewGPaul
17-10-2010, 16:16
Not that significant, since Marines can and do mix parts from different marks into one suit.

Mr_Rose
17-10-2010, 16:28
Not that significant, since Marines can and do mix parts from different marks into one suit.
From Marks VI through VIII, which were designed to be cross-compatible, sure.
Less so for suits of Marks IV and V and nearly impossible for Mks II and III.

And you can forget using Mk. I power armour parts; the full suit doesn't even cover the whole face! Or the backs of the legs...

Flame Boy
17-10-2010, 22:26
I've managed to dig out a quote from Helsreach, just to prove I'm not going mad/prematurely senile/both.

P.365

"The knights turned in the sunlit chamber, back to the entrance where a diminutive figure stood in contoured power armour. A bolter, cased in bronze with gold-leaf etchings, was mag-locked between her shoulders. The gun was a smaller calibre that Astartes weaponry, but still a rare firearm to see in the possession of a human"

The person described is a prioress of the Adeptus Sororitas, which suggests that non-Astartes boltguns are less powerful or at least quite different to marine weaponry. However, I would expect that marine bolt weapons would be standardised except for the heavy bolter, since that does seem to fire larger rounds, as quite a few people already suggested.

FabricatorGeneralMike
17-10-2010, 23:54
Almost. The "Godwyn-Diaz pattern" is, IIRC, the gun used by the Sisters of Battle, while the one currently used by the Marines is the "Godwyn pattern". If you want to get really pedantic, the two new Forge World designs (the Umbra and Phobos) are different patterns again, albeit based on the RTB01 and 2nd edition boltguns respectively.

In addition, the various Imperial Armor books give various weapons different pattern designations - this could be as simple as one Chapter using the Godwyn pattern, but without the integrated round counter, or a different rifling pattern, or something equally insignificant.

MarcoSkoll, bolt rounds have always been described as being fired like a conventional bullet, then the rocket igniting after leaving the barrel - one ruleset even gave them penalties at short ranges because the round hadn't got up to full velocity.

- which isn't actually what you were arguing against, now that I re-read your post. Sorry. :)

No worries :)

I always thought that the 2nd Ed ones where Godwyn patteren as these where made in 90,91 I believe the Space Marine Strike Force was the first time these patterens had been seen. OF course I might be totally nuts and be totally wrong -shrugs- these where the first time I saw them.

The SM Strike Force had 15 MKVII marines in it, they had seperate torso and legs and came with 3 sprews, one had the shoulder pads, one had the arms and one had the bolt-guns and backpacks on it. I don't think Mr Diaz was working with the company at that time.

In the Witchhunters codex it looks like a older bolt gun on p-19, but the name is the same as the one in the space marine codex, which is a newer bolt-gun ( current SM tac-squad box.) I guess GW just sucks in continunity.

Hellebore
18-10-2010, 00:44
afaik the origin of the 'different bolter sizes' is Dark Heresy. Before that it was simply stated that bolters were rare and marines had more than everyone else. Not that marines had different bolters. Except perhaps that a marine's bolter was armoured like he was.

There were different models, but they all fired the same 'calibre' of bolt. Humans didn't get crappy bolters just because they weren't marines, they just couldn't GET bolters because they were rare.

Now with the 40k RPGs marines carry bolters that are better anti tank weapons than plasma guns...

It doesn't make much sense that a bolter and pistol use the same ammo because they should still have the same range. The barrel length would have very little effect on a shot that carries its own internal propellant. Accuracy problems on the pistol maybe, but not range problems.

So either pistols need a round with a smaller propellant charge, or they need a longer range.

hellebore

Askil the Undecided
18-10-2010, 04:57
An Astartes bolter is different from a non-Astartes bolter for the same reason a combat shotgun is different from a ripper gun.

If an Astartes whacks a foe with his gun, the gun has to be able to hold up to that punishment. With a human that's not really a problem but an Astartes in full powered battle plate can tear tank armour with his hands on a good day (as seen in one of the early the space wolf novels.)

An Astartes-made weapon is bigger and tougher than a human-made weapon.

Polaria
18-10-2010, 05:33

Fluff is largely inconsistent in this.

Older (3rd edition) table-top fluff says Sister and Marine bolters are equal in pretty much every way. They are also both made to be used by Power Armor wielding troops, so they pretty much require the power-armour augmented strenght to wield. Which would mean the bolt pistols used by comissars are something of lesser weapons.

Newer (5th edition) table-top fluff says Marine weapons are "best-of-the-best". There is no newer than 3rd ed fluff on Sisters weapons.

In older RPG fluff (Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader) there was "civilian" bolt guns and "military" bolt guns. Both were usable without power armor but "military" issue used by Rogue Traders and Marines were more powerful. Sisters used the less powerfull "civilian" version.

Newest RPG fluff (Deathwatch) there are "Astartes" weapons which are unusable by anyone else than full-blown marine in Astartes power-armor and are equal to Imperial Guard autocannons in firepower. But then again in DW each and every weapon with "Astartes" in front of its name gets doble-helping of awesomeness and double damage which makes Imperial guard meltaguns look like popguns (an largely unable to hurt a marine) when compared to just a simpkle Astartes Bolt Pistol...

Yresk
18-10-2010, 09:47
from what ive gathered there are several types of boltguns. and in order to distingues between them ther are severl things to bring up. but i think the main worry about AA and AS boltguns is the ability to fire on full auto and still hit something.

an AS has power amour and years of training. an SM has powerarmour, probably a decade of training or more. and super genetic strengh.

Hellbore
ive only fired airsoft guns in my life but there is a magnificant change in range. my pistol fires at 110m/s but is only usefull under less than 15 meters because of the shoter barreln and even when firing with both hands its hard to focus on targets beyond that range with the small aimpoint on a pistol.
once i borrowed a M16 airsoft gun. noted for its long barrel, and fireing at only 90M/S but i can really target and place every shot i take because of the longer barrel providing support and the longer sights making it more possible to select your targets.

in guns in real life the lengh of the barrel, the bolt(not the round, the place that holds the round) and the rifeling in the barrel makes an enormus difference. a ak-47 can fire a 7.62 to a maximum range of 800 meters. but is not accurate at that long a range because of the barrel, bolt and rifeling. the same round goes into the SVD(also known as the Draugnov) and you can take out targets with accuracy at about 600 meters with little problems.

Polaria
18-10-2010, 10:09
Bolt is a rocket, yes, but if you fire a rocket (bolt) from longer tube (barrel) it actually accelerates faster than when fired from shorter tube (barrel). This is because while in tube (barrel) the pressure from the burning rocket-fuel does not escape to the sides but is actually quite well contained and pushing the rocket (bolt) forwards with more energy. So even with a rocket weapon the lenght of the barrel is only immaterial if the rocket is ignited AFTER it leaves the barrel.

Hellebore
18-10-2010, 11:26
Which according to 40k a bolter does. The bolt's propellant ignites after leaving the barrel.

It's range should thus not be much worse than a normal bolter if they use the same ammo.

Hellebore

Sai-Lauren
18-10-2010, 12:37
The Joke answer: Sororitas bolters are smaller and lighter than Marine ones, because they prefer to shoot their enemies with them, not hit their enemies over the head with them. ;)

The In-Universe answer: As Marines may have to operate away from base for extended periods, they could be packed with bulkier, more durable systems (or even redundant ones), whilst everyone else is more likely to operate from an HQ, so they'll be receiving more regular maintenance and don't need the weight (or cost) of those systems.

The Real answer - a Sororitas sized bolter would look daft held by a Marine, and a Marine one would make a Sister of Battle look like she's about to collapse under the weight of it.

MadDogMike
24-10-2010, 19:35
The Joke answer: Sororitas bolters are smaller and lighter than Marine ones, because they prefer to shoot their enemies with them, not hit their enemies over the head with them. ;)

Actually given the fact Soritas use Sarrissa attachments on a lot of their bolters, it's more they prefer to STAB the enemy with their gun instead of clubbing them over the head :D.

MEcorp
24-10-2010, 20:00
But that's also an in-universe answer.

Sai-Lauren
26-10-2010, 08:05
And at least they're still pointing the loud end of their gun at their enemy when they stab them.

Plus a Sarissa is only a bayonet by a different name.