PDA

View Full Version : What happened to The Tendeniser?

Marneus Calgar
15-10-2010, 22:40
After a long break of Warhammer Fantasy, I decided to get back into the swing of things. I decided to build up a nice Ogre Kingdom army and I remember one specific piece of wargear that no Ogre would ever want to eat, The Tendiniser. It appears that less Ogre Kingdom lists include The Tendiniser.

Is this because the meta game of 8th edition? It appears that this is still a great weapon to kill characters and other monstrous creatures.

Did the increase of troops and large formation make The Tendiniser a less formidable choice?

Ogre players, did you drop the famous Tendiniser and substitute it for a different weapon?

eyescrossed
15-10-2010, 23:03
I don't know why people dropped the Tenderizer, but it's probably because of all the new Common Magic Weapons.

SevenSins
16-10-2010, 16:14
most tyrant builds I've seen around here are more focused on beeing hard to kill, rather than hitting hard.

Personally I love the tenderizer and would never leave home without it :)

scarvet
16-10-2010, 16:24
Me neither. However I did use a hard to kill Tyrant back from 6th and now it is even better so I guess that's why people lean towards it.

I mean IIRC Tenderizer cost as much as WS10 blades.

Marneus Calgar
16-10-2010, 16:51
Is weapon skill 10 that useful in 8th edition? I realize that this would ensure that the Tyrant would be hitting most characters on 3+ and most characters would hit the Tyrant on a 4+, but the Str 7 D3 wounds is really tasty. Infantry would have a harder time killing the Tyrant because, unless they are greater than WS4, would be hitting the Tyrant on a 5+.

the_slosh
16-10-2010, 17:01
well the ws10 blades become so good when you mix it with the greyback pelt
nothing in the game (I belive) will hit you on better then 5+ in cc

scarvet
16-10-2010, 18:29
Actually if you go -2 to hit than even models with WS7+ are hitting your tyrant on 5+.

Advantage of WS10 includes hitting 99% of things on 3's, and striking before great weapons.

Korraz
16-10-2010, 19:34
The Fencer's Blade is bad and I don't know why people always go for it. If you play the Pelt and the Glittering scales, the Blade will do absolutely nothing for you. Nothing. Against stuff with WS7+ you are screwed anyway, since it will be A) A special Character or B) some kind of super-kitted monster Character, AKA Greater Demon, and then a Tenderiser would be a better investment.

If I play the Can't Touch This-Tyrant, then with a Cathayan Longsword and Giantbreaker. The perfect symbiosis between MC Hammer and MC-HAMMER.

As for the Tenderiser...Most of the time I still play it. It's still great to rack up some Overkill, to wreck Characters and pretty much anything else. At the moment it's most likely underplayed because everyone and his Orc plays Hordes, so the Thundermace is better. But once people start using monstrous Infantry...

Avian
16-10-2010, 20:28
The Fencer's Blade is bad and I don't know why people always go for it. If you play the Pelt and the Glittering scales, the Blade will do absolutely nothing for you. Nothing.
I've been trying to tell people that too, but they are all "Noooooooooo, people with WS7-9 must be hitting me on 6s too, otherwise my Tyrant is doooooooooomed!"
;)

Gooner
16-10-2010, 20:51
I understand why people would like the tenderizer but I feel like in 8th you need to do as much damage as you can,

I dont understand why more people dont take the thundermace, you will most infantry on a 3+ and cause a massive amount of str 4 hits. Also although you may hit less against a character at str 8 and d6 wounds you have a good chance to kill him.

I run mawseeker, and 5+ ward save on him to help him stay alive a bit better.

Korraz
16-10-2010, 21:33
I've been trying to tell people that too, but they are all "Noooooooooo, people with WS7-9 must be hitting me on 6s too, otherwise my Tyrant is doooooooooomed!"
;)

Same around here. Feels nice to have some backup.

The Thundermace is not bad, especially against those marauders. Still, if you miss that test, your tyrant will look kinda embarrassed. Maybe they don't want to risk that.
I'm not entirely sure. Does the TM have its own strength in the entry, or does it only use the stone thrower rules?

Sandals
16-10-2010, 21:55
;)

I agree too, though I can see the appeal of the Ninja Tyrant. I feel that 2 of those three are enough to create the effect that you are looking for. Personally I run Blades/Scales, Talisman of 5++, Mawseeker. A good all round combo, the only weakness is his lack of strength - but i can cure that with a buff. I use him to tie up units with a singel maneater behind him - this guy does have the strength though, equipped with a Great Weapon.

I do like the Tenderiser still, and if i take a GW it wil be that one. If you're going to stike last you better hit HARD!!!

eyescrossed
16-10-2010, 22:26
I'm not entirely sure. Does the TM have its own strength in the entry, or does it only use the stone thrower rules?

It's own. Str4(8). It's pretty damn awesome.

ftayl5
16-10-2010, 22:36
I used to take the Tenderiser but it was only ever any use in challenges and if you roll a 2 or a 1, you may as well just have bought a plain great weapon. '

When 8th ed came about I started always taking the thundermace, it's just too awesome

Da GoBBo
16-10-2010, 22:44
Against stuff with WS7+ you are screwed anyway, since it will be A) A special Character or B) some kind of super-kitted monster Character, AKA Greater Demon, and then a Tenderiser would be a better investment.

Yes, if we choose to ignore, black orc, dwarf, elven, chaos, vampire (and saurus?) characters that leaves greater deamons and special characters ;)

Personally I think a healing potion is as good a protection to a 5 wound Tyrant as any protective gear and a lot cheaper. Risky, aye, but ye only live ones. Throw in a Tenderizer and Mawseeker and ye should be fine.

Than again dancing circles around anything you meet and still dish out 6 attacks (which should be buffed) is pretty sweet and makes the Tyrant still more able than most lords out there.

eyescrossed
17-10-2010, 01:39
Nope. Oldbloods are only WS6 :p

Chris_
17-10-2010, 01:56
With the blades a WS5+ hits you on 4+, this becomes 5+ with either of the two items (one is enough to make WS4- hit on 6's). With both all stuff hits you on 6+ in CC (barring the ones that have stuff that gets them + to-hit)
Without the blades and both the items WS3-6 hits you on 6's and WS7-10 hits you on 5's. I think I'd rather spend the points for only the Greyback Pelt and Glittering Scales and be hit on 6's by 99% of the miniatures in the game rather than spending basically all the allowance on being hit on 6's by 99,5% of the miniatures in the game (warning, I have NOT counted all the mins in the game :p )

This was if I was playing Ogre Kingdoms, that is.

minionboy
17-10-2010, 06:26
With the blades a WS5+ hits you on 4+, this becomes 5+ with either of the two items (one is enough to make WS4- hit on 6's). With both all stuff hits you on 6+ in CC (barring the ones that have stuff that gets them + to-hit)
Without the blades and both the items WS3-6 hits you on 6's and WS7-10 hits you on 5's. I think I'd rather spend the points for only the Greyback Pelt and Glittering Scales and be hit on 6's by 99% of the miniatures in the game rather than spending basically all the allowance on being hit on 6's by 99,5% of the miniatures in the game (warning, I have NOT counted all the mins in the game :p )

This was if I was playing Ogre Kingdoms, that is.

That's why I give my tyrant a Cathayan Longsword as well as glittering scales and the greyback pelt, now you need WS8-10 to hit me on 5's!

scarvet
17-10-2010, 06:37
I thought the Tyrant need to "wield" the longsword to get stat bonus...

I personally dislike Thundermace because single 3+ to hit and S4 small blast have been underwhelming.

Chris_
17-10-2010, 06:48
That's why I give my tyrant a Cathayan Longsword as well as glittering scales and the greyback pelt, now you need WS8-10 to hit me on 5's!Sadly does not work like that according to the new BRB FAQ, you only get the bonus when attacking.

Avian
17-10-2010, 09:24
Sadly does not work like that according to the new BRB FAQ, you only get the bonus when attacking.
Which is what you are doing in combat. That answer is saying you don't get the bonus from a great weapon when you get hit by Dwellers Below, and don't get the bonus from a Longsword you have when rolling to hit with the Thundermace. Otherwise weapons that give a bonus to Initiative could never have that bonus come into play.

Chris_
17-10-2010, 09:31
Which is what you are doing in combat. That answer is saying you don't get the bonus from a great weapon when you get hit by Dwellers Below, and don't get the bonus from a Longsword you have when rolling to hit with the Thundermace. Otherwise weapons that give a bonus to Initiative could never have that bonus come into play.Hm... That is true, well I would rather go with that interpretation.

Korraz
17-10-2010, 10:31
Yes, if we choose to ignore, black orc, dwarf, elven, chaos, vampire (and saurus?) characters that leaves greater deamons and special characters ;)

I'll give you those. But when fighting them, the Tenderiser is still better.

rocdocta
18-10-2010, 02:41
what i give the tyrant is reliant on where he is going. i stick him with bulls so he needs GW goodness to dish out to monsters. he scares the hell out of vampires as 1 single D3 wound attack can win the game if it gets through. and they get through! 5 attacks, 4+ to hit, 2+ to wound...