PDA

View Full Version : Beastmen Lord builds

Lupercus
16-10-2010, 06:38
Hey there everyone. At this point I'm dreadfully new to Beastmen, and as such have a lot to learn in regards to building and playing them. It's completely new ground for me. I was wondering if it would possible for you all to give me some solid builds for a few of the characters available to a Beast player. I'm looking for thoughts on Beastlords, Great Bray-Shamans, and Doombulls. Builds on these three highly important characters to the Warherd would be very much appreciated, and very helpful. This includes the Lore that you'd suggest using with the Great Bray-Shaman as well.

I've essentially got a decent idea(thanks to the Beastmen tacita thread!) of what I want my BSB to look like, both if I was to use a Gorebull or a Wargor, and also the lesser Bray-Shamans as well. Mostly, I'm looking to make sure my precious Lord choices count, and I build them effectively, especially considering their importance to the whole army.

I'm in the process of building a 2000 point army at the moment, and definitely finding the learning curve for Beastmen to be quite something. Highly enjoyable, however, and such a refreshing army, in my opinion. I've been playing around with several different armies up until this point, and out of nowhere I started up on the Beasts. I must say, I'm entirely taken with them now, and am absolutely loving them. I've found my new army for 8th edition.

So, that said, if there's any general thoughts in advice in addition to the builds for the Lords I have mentioned above, by all means, I'd very much like to see it as well. So, first and foremost, builds for the three Lord choices I've mentioned, and if you feel like it, any general comments, thoughts, or suggestions on the Beastmen army for a burgeoning Beastlord. Thanks, and I look forward to seeing what you have to say on this.

Lupercus

sulla
16-10-2010, 21:59
I'm pretty happy with 4+ ward armour, crown of stubborn and mutations of armour piercing with extra hand weapons on my beastlord. He goes in the bestigors, racks up a few kills before they attack, and because he has no magic weapon, he benefits from their flaming banner. He's no superlord, but with 5 s5 rerollable (usually) -3as flaming attacks, he's ok. Plus, he makes his bestigors stubborn and gives Ld9 to all around him. You can build more killy beastlords or downright nasty doombulls but he does what I want; leads well, buffs his unit and is fairly survivable.

I also use a lvl4 great bray with a scroll and 4+ ward. He uses the lore of beasts, primarily so my lvl2 can guarantee knowing transformation to powerscroll at the right time. The great bray is basically there to buff/hex so I don't need the hagtree fetish.

I like doombulls, but I face so much artillery in my opponents armies that I couldn't field one without a big unit of minos to protect him, so he's out.

BTW, head over to herdstone to meet some other beast players. :)

decker_cky
17-10-2010, 03:17
My main beastlord is pretty close to sulla's one.

4+ ward talisman, crown of stubborn, and sword of might (plus heavy armour and shield).

The other build I've been enjoying is:

Sword of anti-heroes, glittering scales, 4+ ward talisman.

Second sulla's comment about coming to the Herdstone. :)

Lupercus
17-10-2010, 06:04
Awesome, thanks so much guys! I really dig the builds, and I think I'll do just that and head on over to the Herdstone...sounds about right;)

Lupercus

Chain
17-10-2010, 17:53
Just one I thought about on my Vacation

Beastlord

Gnarled hide, heavy Armor, shield, ramhorn helm, the other tricksters shard, sword of swift slaying and dawnstone

I haven't tried this one yet but just the thought of a 1+ rerollable armor save with a S5 hit against every attacker for each wound saved and them having to reroll successful ward saves though it's a bit of a point eater and a no armor save allowed beat the fun(perhaps drop ASf and get a stronger weapon for fighting knights)

Else what about this one

Doombull
ramhornhelm, gnarled hide, heavy armor, dawnstone
and possibly an Additional handweapon, and maybe potion of healing or potion of speed or possibly the weapon that grant never ending frenzy so your attacks will keep growing(though buting frenzy for a frenzied character sound a bit...)

havent tried em

"Ramhorn helm" and "Hagtree fetish" if a shaman i think are personal favorite beastmen Magic items

A question of my own to other beastmen players

anyone tried a gorbull/doombull in a regiment of bestigors?
if yes how was your experience? (mainly considering it for fear and frenzy)

sulla
18-10-2010, 00:08
Since it doesn't make the unit immune to fear, and since an extra attack for the front rank is about even with the boost from getting hatred rerolls on all ranks, and since he is war machine bait with no look out sir roll, you can play him there, but you're usually better off running him solo. Especilly if you give him the ramhorn helm, gnarled hide combo.

someone2040
18-10-2010, 02:52
I think the issue with the above 2 builds from Chain is the fact they both use Gnarled Hide mutation.
Usually, our BSB gets kitted out with the awesome Beast banner. So you can't spend points on magical armour, so need the Gnarled Hide mutation to keep our BSB's armour save high to save him from attacks.

decker_cky
18-10-2010, 05:01
I think the issue with the above 2 builds from Chain is the fact they both use Gnarled Hide mutation.
Usually, our BSB gets kitted out with the awesome Beast banner. So you can't spend points on magical armour, so need the Gnarled Hide mutation to keep our BSB's armour save high to save him from attacks.

Agreed. Gnarled hide looks great on any number of builds, but practically, you should be reserving it for your BSB.