PDA

View Full Version : 2250pts of High Elves (1st 8th Edition)

Gimp
16-10-2010, 12:29
The main idea for this list is to partake in the magic, shooting and combat phases. The 2 nobles boost the Spearmen units and the Pheonix Guard will hopefully hold the line. Then shooting and magic then do their bit.

340 = Archmage + Level 4 + Talisman of Saphery + Folariath’s Robe

165 = Mage + Level 2 + Seerstaff of Saphery

122 = Nobel + Battle Standard Bearer + Heavy Armour + Great Weapon + Shield

122 = Nobel + Heavy Armour + Great Weapon + Shield + Skeinsilver

110 = 10 Archers

110 = 10 Archers

349 = 36 Spearmen + Full Command

380 = 20 Phoenix Guard + Full Command + Banner of Sorcery

100 = Repeater Bolt Thrower

Marwynn
16-10-2010, 13:14
You may be slightly disappointed with Spearelves then. At 36 you're looking at them being clunky and being a target for warmachines and shooting in general, seeing that the only other combat unit they can whittle down has a 4+ Ward Save.

It is necessary for Spear blocks to have character support to break enemy units, but you're spending way too much on characters and not enough on Eagles--err I mean units.

Archmage - This fella needs the Silver Wand. 5/7 spells in a Lore ain't too shabby, and it's a bargain.
BSB - The classic BSB build is Armour of Caledor and Guardian Phoenix, giving you a 2+ AS and a 2+ Ward Save against flaming attacks, and a 5+ Ward Save. Your BSB has a 5+ AS in Combat, no Ward Save, and will die quite easily. Consider getting him a Ward at least.
Skeinsilver - I would lose this fella

Core - I would suggest dropping one block of Spears. Or getting two units of roughly 20 in each.

Specials - You need more specials. Either a second unit of PGs or White Lions or even Sword Masters.

Rare - RBTs are looked down on these days. They can still fill a vital role which due to the... straightforwardness of the High Elf book no other unit can fill. But you lack any real reach as you'll find the RBTs to be lackluster in shooting for their points cost.

I would suggest getting a few games under your belt, alternating between two Great Eagles (proxy them if you must) and 1 of the RBTs. You'll find that the Great Eagles give your list the flexibility it needs to succeed.

These days, most take 4 Great Eagles and no RBTs. But decide for yourself, you may have the luck to make the RBTs worth it.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
16-10-2010, 18:51
The main idea for this list is to partake in the magic, shooting and combat phases. The 2 nobles boost the Spearmen units and the Pheonix Guard will hopefully hold the line. Then shooting and magic then do their bit.

340 = Archmage + Level 4 + Talisman of Saphery + Folariath’s Robe

165 = Mage + Level 2 + Seerstaff of Saphery

122 = Nobel + Battle Standard Bearer + Heavy Armour + Great Weapon + Shield

122 = Nobel + Heavy Armour + Great Weapon + Shield + Skeinsilver

110 = 10 Archers

110 = 10 Archers

380 = 20 Phoenix Guard + Full Command + Banner of Sorcery

Your army list looks like a classic high elf list. However like Marwynn said I think you need some mobility in your force. Also I think you need to maximize your kit options for the characters to make the army a bit more playable (not to mention to make the nobles more survivable in hand to hand combat) so I took the liberty to make some changes to your army list that I hope that you find agreeable:

Archmage + Level 4 + Talisman of Saphery + Folariath’s Robe: 340 pts.
Mage + Level 2 + Seerstaff of Saphery: 165 pts.
BSB + heavy armor + great weapon, Temakador's Gauntlets + Obsidian Trinket + Dragonbane Gem: 172 pts.
Noble + great weapon + Armor of Caledor + Skeinsilver: 143 pts.
10 Archers: 110 pts.
25 Spearmen + Full Command: 250 pts.
22 Phoenix Guard + Full Command + Banner of Sorcery: 410 pts.
2x Repeater Bolt Thrower: 200 pts.
2x Great Eagles: 100 pts.

Army Total: 2250 pts.

The main changes I made was for the BSB and noble to give them an added edge in close combat with some protective magic items. I hope that helps.

Gimp
16-10-2010, 20:46
Archmage + Level 4 + Talisman of Saphery + Folariath’s Robe: 340 pts.
Mage + Level 2 + Seerstaff of Saphery: 165 pts.
BSB + heavy armor + great weapon, Temakador's Gauntlets + Obsidian Trinket + Dragonbane Gem: 172 pts.
Noble + great weapon + Armor of Caledor + Skeinsilver: 143 pts.
22 Phoenix Guard + Full Command + Banner of Sorcery: 410 pts.
2x Repeater Bolt Thrower: 200 pts.
2x Great Eagles: 100 pts.

Army Total: 2250 pts.

Great that list looks good. And the Archmage ? You think he is viable?

thesheriff
16-10-2010, 21:21
I think that mage is very vaible. I would make one change, add silver wand, for an extra spell. With life, and some good rollinbg and doubles, you should get a sound set of buffs, and maybe dwellers to boot.

I would keep the spearmen as 2x36, and drop the archers. I would also drop the noble, and just put the skeinsilver on the 'guardian of the flame', and use the 100-off-points to buy an extra bolt thrower.

And, armour of caelador, guardian phoiniex, gw would be the best option for him to keep him trucking and hit back hard.

thesheriff

puckus10
16-10-2010, 23:08
i dont know i like the list alot as is.