PDA

View Full Version : 3 newbie questions

PadForce
16-10-2010, 20:15
Hi all,

Three more newbie questions I cant figure out for myself from the rulebook:

1) Can mage characters cast spells in the same turn as rallying?

2) Mixed model unites, ie rat ogres & master moulders, could someone please explain the basic rules because Im having trouble figuring out what to do - do you always roll vs the rat ogres and then assign would using the 1-4, 5-6 mechanism? If the rat ogres die does the master moulder immediately get removed?

3) Challenges, for example one enemy character vs 10 spearmen, if a challenge is accepted does that mean the rest of the spearmen cant attack the character?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lord_Elric
16-10-2010, 21:00
answer to 1) yes

answer to 3) yes the spearmen would not b able to attack the character

not having any foem of MI in dark elves army i dont know bout 2

AMWOOD co
17-10-2010, 02:22
2) Mixed model unites, ie rat ogres & master moulders, could someone please explain the basic rules because Im having trouble figuring out what to do - do you always roll vs the rat ogres and then assign would using the 1-4, 5-6 mechanism? If the rat ogres die does the master moulder immediately get removed?

I'm looking for some clarification, so just bear with me. The unit of rat ogres should already have rules for shooting (read their entry in the army book).

In combat, attacks may only be assigned to the models in the front. If your rat ogres are thus in combat at their front, only the rat ogres may be hit as they are the only models in the front rank (I think that's how their rules work).

If they are charged in the flank or rear, however, the enemy may attack with any models that are in base to base with the beastmasters (and supporting attacks from the models behind the attackers). Beastmasters may then be removed before rat ogres.

Now, I don't have a skaven book, but I do have squigs and played with the beastherds back in Beasts of Chaos and this is how it was done then, and as far as I can tell, allocating attacks is still done the same way.

Does this answer your question?

PadForce
17-10-2010, 07:29
Thanks for both replies.

Regarding 2: thank you I had seen the rules for allocating shooting 1-4 & 5-6, I had also seen a rule that if all monsters are removed the handlers are also removed so I was wondering if this also applied to monstrous infantry?

The question arose when 2 rat ogres (3 wounds each) and a master moulder received 8 wounds when all rolled vs the rat ogres stats, it didnt seem fair for only the rat ogres to die and the MM live on despite extra wounds..

Chris_
17-10-2010, 07:50
Yeah, I am not sure there is a clear cut ruling on this. You have to direct your attacks if you have models with different stats in b2b, so I guess this would mean only these kinds of troops can be removed as casualties. But a Master Moulder is a Champion in all regards and it says in the Champion rules that he has to be the last RnF to be removed if he is not targeted seperately, (an example where 3 wounds are caused and 3 models left which says the last wound overflows to the Champion) so in this specific case I think the Champion rules would take precedence and the 8 wounds caused in your example would kill the rat ogres and the Master Moulder.
In other cases you can only kill what you are directing your attacks at, anyway that is what makes the most sense to me.

PadForce
17-10-2010, 08:49
Ok, sounds reasonable, thanks.