PDA

View Full Version : why no witch hunters?

Nemesis7884
17-10-2010, 14:50
why are there no witch hunters in the empire army? there are in war, there are in all the stories, even the 40k empire version got their demon and witch hunters... i think there should be added certain heroes troops for the next empire army book

templars - are a heavy infantry

and witch hunters as hero choice (maybe even a witch hunter lord as lord version)

what you think? this would allow for a whole "witch hunter" themed army...

Eetion
17-10-2010, 15:00
You could probably do that pretty well with the warrior priests, free company and flagellants.
Just need a little background blurb.
I just don't think a WH option would add much.

sigur
17-10-2010, 15:03
As Eetion said, no need for it, proxy it.

theJ
17-10-2010, 15:07
Well, if I were asked to implement one, I'd probably put it down as a glass cannon style hero choice, sorta like the assassins of the skaven and dark elves, but with most of his/her abilities tuned towards tackling casters. Possibly bonuses against daemons as well. Frankly though, I'm unsure how much use an empire player would have for them. I'm also having trouble picturing them on the front line. Ain't they suppose to be behind the lines, being part detective, part assassin, part tale to scare children into proper behavior with?

Leogun_91
17-10-2010, 15:16
The reason is mainly that they aren't meant to run around on a battlefield and kill people, they are ment to track down witches, mutants and chaos cults and kill them.

Korraz
17-10-2010, 15:18
Cause Witch Hunters have nothing to do on a battlefield. Just like Inquisitors. It's not their place.

Nemesis7884
17-10-2010, 15:18
you could argue in the same way for a lot of other hero types, such as assassins - theses are also not meant to fight on a battle field... besides, you also have the templar warriors which can absolutly fight on a battlefield and flagelants are not really a worthy alternative in a fluff sense

Korraz
17-10-2010, 15:24
Actually, assassinating the leaders of the enemy is not a bad move. Plus, you think of assassins as in "Single Target Killer", which is not exactly right, at least in the case of Dark Elf-Assassins. They are more like crazed fighters that have perfected the art of war, to ensure maximum slaughter. The whole murdering business is a nice addition.

Leogun_91
17-10-2010, 15:30
Actually, assassinating the leaders of the enemy is not a bad move. Plus, you think of assassins as in "Single Target Killer", which is not exactly right, at least in the case of Dark Elf-Assassins. They are more like crazed fighters that have perfected the art of war, to ensure maximum slaughter. The whole murdering business is a nice addition.
And skaven assasins are quite useful for preventing backstabs and therefore very useful on a battlefield.

Korraz
17-10-2010, 16:37
Yup. And they make quite competent bodyguards. At least better than those rat ogres.

Nemesis7884
17-10-2010, 18:33
fine okay i get it - my dreams shattered and burried you heartless hope destroyers

theJ
17-10-2010, 18:35
fine okay i get it - my dreams shattered and burried you heartless hope destroyers

purrrr..... :3

Nuggan
17-10-2010, 18:36
I can seem them being used for low point scenario skirmish games like "burn down the heretic village" type stuff.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
17-10-2010, 18:40
Anything wrong with taking a captain/warrior priest/general/whatever and call him a witch hunter. Its not as if witch hunters are supposed to have any special abilities beyond scaring little kids :)

Nemesis7884
17-10-2010, 19:21
Anything wrong with taking a captain/warrior priest/general/whatever and call him a witch hunter. Its not as if witch hunters are supposed to have any special abilities beyond scaring little kids :)

and pure awesomeness...

Kal Taron
17-10-2010, 20:45
There have been some witchhunter special characters a while ago. Some time during 6th I think. Now where to find their rules...
You could take these as inspiration and update them to 8th or just try to get the models and use them as captains/warrior priests.

Kulgur
17-10-2010, 21:51
There have been some witchhunter special characters a while ago. Some time during 6th I think. Now where to find their rules...

Warhammer Annual 2002, Johann van Hal special character with his priest henchman Wilhelm Hasburg. Usable for Empire, Dwarfs, High Elves, Wood Elves, Lizardmen and Dogs of War.

nagash66
17-10-2010, 22:18
Warhammer Annual 2002, Johann van Hal special character with his priest henchman Wilhelm Hasburg. Usable for Empire, Dwarfs, High Elves, Wood Elves, Lizardmen and Dogs of War.

Hey i remeber those guys, dint they have their own minis too? and dint Empire during 4-5 ed have Witch hunter minis? I remeber one in a old wd report with fat bloke playing Beastmen vs some Empire guy.

stainawarjar
17-10-2010, 22:32
Hey i remeber those guys, dint they have their own minis too? and dint Empire during 4-5 ed have Witch hunter minis? I remeber one in a old wd report with fat bloke playing Beastmen vs some Empire guy.

They do, I have them and they're awesome. Too bad I converted Johan to a 40k Inquisitor. I'm considering using the priest as a Lore of Beasts wizard, or a priest.

silence
17-10-2010, 23:30
I have the warhammer quest witch hunter figure, real nice he is too.

Seriously though, I'd be tempted to proxy the entire army. It would make a really nice themed empire force, but as its own army, I think it would be too weak. Hope you run with the idea.

Von Lust44
18-10-2010, 02:01

I reckon that was when Fat bloke came out to Australia, the Aussie WD editor had a witch hunters theme empire army and they did do a battle report.

I cant see why empire armies couldn't have witch hunters, Hero level character, hatred, crossbow and warhounds. Maybe as a upgrade to warrior priest (Wraiths to Banshee Style) ??

Chris_
18-10-2010, 02:13
I still have some of the models of the Mordheim warband Witchhunters. At least in that game they make sense :D

Ah, cool, they still sell them at GW homepage.

baphomael
18-10-2010, 02:22

As far as I recall, there was the DoW witch hunter (and his priestly companion), the Warhammer Quest witch hunter and the Mordheim witch hunters - I dont remember GW doing any other WHFB witch hunters.|

Incidently, I'm running a witch hunter themed Empire army, with a english civil war flavour to it (lots of wide brimmed hats, morion helmets and pike and shotte formations). Lead by Witch-Fynder General Mathanial Hopkin...

...if only the Saruman model's head wasn't too small and covered in beard ;)

R-Love
18-10-2010, 02:56
you could argue in the same way for a lot of other hero types, such as assassins - theses are also not meant to fight on a battle field...

Taking out the enemy general is probably be a good reason to be in battle. the inherant chaos of combat would likely allow the assassin to conceal himself better before he strikes (rather than trying to sneak past watchful guards at night)

besides, you also have the templar warriors which can absolutly fight on a battlefield

We have those already. They're called knights :D

Then we have done our job :cool:

Its not as if witch hunters are supposed to have any special abilities beyond scaring little kids :)

Awesome hats

gauly_13
18-10-2010, 12:22
I actually love the witch hunter idea. I think the Empire could really use more fanatical weirdness to make them more fantasy, less historical. Bring on a 40k commisar (spelling?) type bloke who'll crossbow the troops in the head if they don't as their told :P That said, it would be easy to proxy witch hunters or inquisitors, add some fluff and you're away!

Colonel_kex
18-10-2010, 14:48
I run a unit of 25 free company fighters with a cheap captain as a witch hunter, all of the models are converted from either mordheim models or regular empire bitz, the witchhunter himself is mostly brettonian bits. will try to post a picture later

nagash66
24-10-2010, 17:48
Avatars of War are making a killer Witch Hunter model.

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=747

Urgat
24-10-2010, 18:44
Taking out the enemy general is probably be a good reason to be in battle.

But not in the midst of the battle. You'd try that before. In the middle of a battle, you "assassinate" someone by driving a sword or a pike or a lance or, heck, the horseshoe of your mount through his head/heart/whatever :p
They do have a point, why would a battlefield not be the place for a witch hunter? They're likely to be very able at raising armies of flagellants, and are not anymore out of place in your regular battle than those very rare, lethargic and highly important slaans, for instance. Or those dwarf anvils? The reason for an imperial engineer to be on the battlefield is more sketchy if you ask me.