PDA

View Full Version : First try High Elves 2500

Crusaderobr
17-10-2010, 18:58
Ive been playing 40K since 2001, and now me and my brother are delving into Fantasy. This is my first try at a fun/competitive list.

2500 High Elf Strike Force

Lords - 1 - 553 points

Prince ( Dragon Helm, Heavy Armor, Vambraces of Defense,
Dragonscale Shield, Great Weapon, Moon Dragon )

Heroes - 2 - 353 points

Noble ( BSB, Armor of Caledor, Great Weapon, Guardian Phoenix )

Mage ( Level 2, High Magic, Seerstaff of Saphery, Dispell Scroll )

Core - 2 - 674 points

24 Lothern Sea Guard ( Full Command )

Special - 715 points

20 Phoenix Guard ( Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame )

20 White Lions ( Full Command, Razor Standard )

Rare - 4 - 200 points

4 Great Eagle

Total 2495 points

Main questions : Are the magical banners I have chosen for my specials the right choices? Also, I have no clue where to put my Noble with the BSB, should I stick him with the White Lions or a unit of Seaguard? thanks guys :D

Francis
17-10-2010, 20:58
Switch the Banners of the PG and WL units, since S4 PG needs AP more than S6 WL and the flame banner will go nicely with the monster killing capabilities WLions have.

Also toss in the Ironcourse Icon with the champion of the WL unit to give them 6+ ward against war machines, that will bring you up to a 2500 total. Dead on the points.

Finally your mage build is illegal since dispel scrolls are considered standard arcane items in 8th and therefore can't be taken with the seerstaff.

Besides that you'r list looks nice, you might want to use some more magic if you want to make it more competitive, but then again there is nothing like putting a dragon down on the table.

Crusaderobr
18-10-2010, 00:28
Whoops, your right my mage is illegal, so was my Dragon Prince. I seriously cut back on the fat of my list and got some more bodies in, and did what you said about the banners/Ironcourse icon, although I took out the Razor Banner to get more bodies on the table. Here it is :

Lords - 1 - 472 points

Prince ( Great Weapon, Armor of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense, Sun Dragon )

Heroes - 2 - 299 points

Noble ( BSB, Great Weapon, Dragon Armor )

Mage ( Level 2, High Magic, Starwood Staff )

Core - 2 - 674 points

Special - 855 points

28 Phoenix Guard ( Full Command )

24 White Lions ( Full Command, Ironcourse Icon, Banner of Eternal Flame )

Rare - 4 - 200 points

4 Great Eagle

Total 2500 points

Francis
18-10-2010, 12:38
Looks good, still a few points with your characters though. Your BsB is very vulnerable, and I would give him Armour of Silvered Steel as well as a luckstone to give him a better chance at surviving in close combat. You might need to juggle som points around to make this happen.

Since you only have a lvl 2 mage, magic probably wont win you any battles. Therefore I would tool him up with Anulian Crystal rather than Starwood staff and have him focus purely on magic defence. I did this against a DE player with a lvl 4 and a lvl 2 sorceress, and that singel mage performed brilliantly, shutting down my opponents magic phase, and forcing him to risk IF/misscasts in order to get his spells off.

Nothing besides that though. GL in your battles

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
19-10-2010, 05:52
Whoops, your right my mage is illegal, so was my Dragon Prince. I seriously cut back on the fat of my list and got some more bodies in, and did what you said about the banners/Ironcourse icon, although I took out the Razor Banner to get more bodies on the table. Here it is :

Lords - 1 - 472 points

Prince ( Great Weapon, Armor of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense, Sun Dragon )

Heroes - 2 - 299 points

Noble ( BSB, Great Weapon, Dragon Armor )

Mage ( Level 2, High Magic, Starwood Staff )

Core - 2 - 674 points

Special - 855 points

28 Phoenix Guard ( Full Command )

24 White Lions ( Full Command, Ironcourse Icon, Banner of Eternal Flame )

Rare - 4 - 200 points

4 Great Eagle

Total 2500 points

I revised your 2nd list somewhat by adding a second 2nd lvl. mage by trading in a few figures from the Phoenix Guard and LSG unit as I didn't think it would impact the ranks in each unit too much.

Suggested Revised 2500 pts. List

Lords:
Prince: 342 pts.
Equipment: great weapon
Magic Items: Vambraces of Defense & Armor of Silver Steel
Mount: Sun Dragon

Heroes:
Noble BSB: 168 pts.
Equipment: great weapon
Magic items: Armor of Caledor & Guardian Phoenix

2nd Lvl Mage: 185 pts.
Magic items: Silver Wand & Annulian Crystal

2nd Lvl Mage: 170 pts.
Magic items: Seer Staff of Saphery & Ironcurse Icon

Core:
Lothern Sea Guard: 285 pts.
20 Sea Guard with Full Command & Kit

Lothern Sea Guard: 350 pts.
25 Sea Guard with Full Command & kit

Special:
Phoenix Guard: 390 pts.
24 Phoenix Guard with full command

White Lions: 410 pts.
24 White Lion with full command
War Banner

Rare:
4 Great Eagles: 200 pts.

Army total: 2500 pts.

My suggestion is to stick the second mage with the Ironcurse Icon with the WLs unit and the other with the PG. This give the army an added layer of magic and shooting protection plus doubles up on the number of spells you can cast in each of your magic phases as well as a choice between lores. I also changed the kit out slightly for your Prince and BSB so they both get a 2+ AV and a ward save with the use of their great weapons.

I hope that helps.

thesheriff
19-10-2010, 06:48
On your new list, swap the number of pgs and white lions. Pg.s work well in ranks of 5 as a meat grinder with a mage, where as white lions are fantastic as chop units for maximum attacks with horde.

I would drop one of the mages. lv.4s are essential to a strong magic phases, 2 lv.2's can end up as wasted points. drop one and use the points to 'pimp your dragon' to star level.

thesheriff

kapitalist
19-10-2010, 09:38
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you only allowed to make 2 duplicate choice with rare (unless you have a grand army)
If so then you probably shouldn't have 4 great eagles

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
19-10-2010, 10:04
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you only allowed to make 2 duplicate choice with rare (unless you have a grand army)
If so then you probably shouldn't have 4 great eagles

High Elves get 6 special & 4 rare choice duplications under 3000 pts.

A grand army (3000 pts. & above) get 12 specials & 8 rare choice duplications. This was recently errata in the High Elves FAQ v1.2 last week. In the previous FAQ High Elves had no restrictions on the number of Specials and Rares in the army.

So it's legal.

kapitalist
19-10-2010, 10:15
That is awesome

grhino
19-10-2010, 10:20
More over, they ignore the duplications rule in total. They are a so called 'elite army' - the envy of the rest of the warhammer world.

On the list: I would always include smaller units for support since I think the HE army is supposed to work as a symphony on the battlefield, to use a much quoted analogy. It wins because the units support one another and the flexibility of the army makes it difficult for enemies to work against. This army seems to lose much of that, with much more of a head-on approach. Wonder how it works...

You do have some flexibility, with that dragon, high strength troops, shooting (those LSG units are amazing!) and magic but the army still work very different from HE armies I'd field. Let us know how it goes on the battlefield!

thesheriff
19-10-2010, 18:29
More over, they ignore the duplications rule in total. They are a so called 'elite army' - the envy of the rest of the warhammer world.

This was recently errata in the High Elves FAQ v1.2 last week. In the previous FAQ High Elves had no restrictions on the number of Specials and Rares in the army.

Like said before, they no longer igonre it, they just get double the standard amount. Its in the revised FAQ, beacsue having no restrictions for duplicates is a bit wrong.

Fox Of 9
19-10-2010, 19:52
Yer i've been caught upon that rule to :cries:/:mad: anyway i love idea that thesheriff suggested to go for the star level dragon & i love the whole list basis. so GL. :D