PDA

View Full Version : 2500 to 3000 with Star Dragon

tyrannustyrannus
18-10-2010, 19:20
I know they aren't tactically the best thing to use, but I want to use a star dragon. I still need to round out the proper core unit ratio. Here's what I have thought out so far...

Lord:
Prince on Star Dragon with Lance, Dragon Armor, Vambraces of Defence, and Enchanted Shield

Heroes:
Noble with BSB, Razor Standard, Dragon Armor, Great Weapon

Level II Mage, (unsure of lore to use) Annulian Crystal

Core:
19 Lothern Sea Guard, Full Command

20 Lothern Sea Guard, Full Command

19 Spearmen, Full Command

Special:

10 Dragon Princes, Full Command, Banner of Ellyrion

2 Tiranoc Chariots

18 Swordmasters, Full Command, Potion of Strength on Blademaster

Rare:
2 Great Eagles

To go up to 3000 Points I would add 2 Repeater Bolt Throwers, Another Level II Mage, an additional Eagle, and 5 Ellyrion Reavers.

I'm just not sure of the magic items to use. I was thinking of using White Lions instead of Swordmasters. The Razor Standard in the unit of LSG really helps them grind down hordes, especially if I am able to cast Curse of Arrow Attraction.

Death Korp
18-10-2010, 20:10
A few things i'd change...

*Stick a Great Weapon on the Dragon Lord, +2 Strength ASF with Re-rolls constantly is better then a Lance.

*With the BSB, I wouldn't bother with a Magical Standard. I'd spend the points on more infantry.

*For your Core, I'd drop a unit of Seaguard, give the single unit the Banner of Eternal Flame and stick 2 30 Man units of Spearmen in with Full Command.

*For the Dragon Princes, the Rampagers Standard could be a good buy, rerolling charge distances would make sure they get the charge.

*Using the points from the BSB and some other losses, I'd Split the Sword masters and boost them to 2 units of 14, 7x2 each with full command. Swordmasters are not there for ranks, and 2 units are better then one.

tyrannustyrannus
18-10-2010, 22:16
Is great weapons giving +2 strength when mounted something that changed in 8th? I didn't even realize that. It would look cool too!

Trains_Get_Robbed
19-10-2010, 01:40
Correct on the g.w change. However, if you want a star killer take your lord with:

Star dragon, vambraces, other tricksters shard, g.w, a.o.c. if no ots then take potion of foolihardniess.

Instead of taking spears take horde of lsg with banner of eternal flame. Take around 57. Just to try it, its fun. However, do take your bsb just give him a lance so in first round of combat he gets his shields plus one a.s and put him in the lsg unit.

Take roughly one-three more d.ps to absorb casualties so they can still break ranks. Howvwe do not take s.m in units of 14. Its useless. They aren't big enough to break ranks wirhout taking casualities 7 or 10 a small road block. Try and take 21 instead. If you do this try to find points to tkae a second block of sp. Troops as 2 blocks just won't be enough.

For example, no reavers and only one eagle, cut out a chariot and add w.l or p.g block of 18 to 20.

If you are running two lvl twos run either both life with on silver wand and reaver bow (inside lsg horde) or run both shadow try grab okkams, or perhaps one high and the other beasts for that basic spell (mini okams plus one t plus one s).

grhino
19-10-2010, 10:37
Great list. Just have to finish my second unit of LSG to run it and may just do so in the future. Hope you dont mind if I copy it... :p

Double_Trouble
08-12-2010, 20:08
Hi, I will try and ressurect the topic :) Cause I was thinking about 2500 pts army with 2 dragons. I don't expect it to be as competitive as one with say Teclis, but I hope it would not be totally hopeless :) So without further ado, here is the list:

Prince 621 pts - Star Dragon, Vambraces of Defense, Armour of Caledor, The Other Trickster's Shard, Halberd. (Obv would take a GW, but it would mean the price being over the limit by 2 points, so the question is: do I drop the trickster's shard and take GW instead?)
Dragon Mage 395 pts - Talisman of preservation
Noble 190 pts - BSB, Barded Elven Steed, Dragon Armour, Helm of Fortune, Guardian Phoenix, GW

Lothern Sea Guard 47; 631 pts- Standard, Banner of Eternal Flame

Dragon Princes 11; 365 pts - Standard, Banner of Ellyrion
Swordmasters 16; 295 pts - Full Com, Skeinsliver

Obv I wanna start first, so 3 units and Skeinsliver should get the job done. Dragon Mage would go together with Prince and in case of a challenge would go kill the lousy champion, strong characters are obv the prince's job. He would also cast Flaming Sword of Rhuin on Sea Guard, so that their arrows are much more deadly. BSB obv goes with Dragon Princes, and swordmasters should not get destroyed by shooting, because Dragons are probably primary targets for that. So what do you think? Any changes/improvements?

goodz
08-12-2010, 22:01
lol i just wanna see both breath weapons used in first turn of close combat against a unit:P

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
09-12-2010, 06:39
Hi, I will try and ressurect the topic :) Cause I was thinking about 2500 pts army with 2 dragons. I don't expect it to be as competitive as one with say Teclis, but I hope it would not be totally hopeless :) So without further ado, here is the list:

Prince 621 pts - Star Dragon, Vambraces of Defense, Armour of Caledor, The Other Trickster's Shard, Halberd. (Obv would take a GW, but it would mean the price being over the limit by 2 points, so the question is: do I drop the trickster's shard and take GW instead?)
Dragon Mage 395 pts - Talisman of preservation
Noble 190 pts - BSB, Barded Elven Steed, Dragon Armour, Helm of Fortune, Guardian Phoenix, GW

Lothern Sea Guard 47; 631 pts- Standard, Banner of Eternal Flame

Dragon Princes 11; 365 pts - Standard, Banner of Ellyrion
Swordmasters 16; 295 pts - Full Com, Skeinsliver

Obv I wanna start first, so 3 units and Skeinsliver should get the job done. Dragon Mage would go together with Prince and in case of a challenge would go kill the lousy champion, strong characters are obv the prince's job. He would also cast Flaming Sword of Rhuin on Sea Guard, so that their arrows are much more deadly. BSB obv goes with Dragon Princes, and swordmasters should not get destroyed by shooting, because Dragons are probably primary targets for that. So what do you think? Any changes/improvements?

I went over your list and IMO I can't justify the cost of a star dragon at 2500 pts. when you're only running 3 regiments (1 regiment of which is very vulnerable to warmachine and range attacks) & 2 very powerful characters. I'd suggest dropping the star dragon to a moon dragon to save some points and try something like this:

Prince: 557 pts.
Equipment: Great weapon
Magic Items: Armor ofCaledor, Vambraces of Defense, & Other Trickster's Shard
Mount: Moon Dragon

Dragon Mage: 390 pts.
Magic Items: Talisman of Endurance & Silver Wand
Mount: Sun Dragon

Noble: 190 pts.
Equipment: Great weapon, dragon armor, barded elven steed
Magic items: Guardian Phoenix & Helm of Fortune

Lothern Sea Guard: 628 pts.
46 LSG with champion & std. w/ Banner of the Eternal Flame.

Dragon Princes: 365 pts.
11 DPs with std. w/ Banner of Ellyrion.

Phoenix Guard: 370 pts.
21 PGs with full command & Skeinsliver.

Total: 2500 pts.

I tried to keep it as close to your original list as possible except I substituted the SMs for PGs as I think 21 PGs will be harder to wipe out than 16 SMs. They would also make a good tarpit unit to tie up the tougher close combat enemy units so the DPs and Dragon Riders can charge in from the flank/rear to help mop up. If fielding Phoenix Guard doesn't appeal to you because they don't do enough damage like the Sword Masters then I'd suggest going with White Lions as they hit almost as hard as SMs but have the additional bonuses of being stubborn in close combat, a decent save against shooting attacks for better surviability, & ability to move through forest terrain at no penalties.

I also included a silver wand for the Dragon mage so that you can attempt to get one more useful spell from the Lore of Fire (say flame cage or the fire cloak spell).

I hope that helps.

puckus10
09-12-2010, 10:59
The Razor Standard in the unit of LSG really helps them grind down hordes, especially if I am able to cast Curse of Arrow Attraction.

If your going to use them for shooting not a good idea! That standard only works in combat.

Pulstar
09-12-2010, 12:47
I like the idea of two dragons a lot. (I want to run a 1500 point list with a Giffion and Dragon mage at some point)

I would change a few things.
First I'd drop that huge unit of LSG for a unit of 20 LSG (w/FC) and a unit of 35 Spearmen (w/FC). You will not sit back with this army. Your going to march out and get into combat ASAP. You will have 0 time to shoot anything.

The 20 LSG lets you take the WT if you roll that. And the 35 Spear, run either 7x5 or 5x7 is almost as affective as the 46 LSG.

Second change I would make is to drop the PG for a unit of 14 SM and 5 ER with a champ. The SM are super killy and with the dragons and big unit of DP they may not get shot at. Also the ER champ can charge the front of a unit on the same turn as the Moon dragon hits a flank and eat the challenge. That would leave the dragon and prince free to maim the rest of the unit.

SO

Prince 557
DM 390
BSB 190
11 DP w/ FC and BoE and IcI on champ
20 LSG w/ FC = 285
35 Spear w/ FC = 340
14 SM w/ FC = 240
5 ER w/ Champ = 102

Total 2499

Double_Trouble
09-12-2010, 18:08
Thanks guys for the advice, I will try to change my list a little bit according to this. And if able will try to let you know how it went ;)