PDA

View Full Version : Smelly Leather

Tyra_Nid
28-05-2005, 11:56
For several years I have been using synthetic straps for my watch, simply because they match the design and colour of the central unit well and I havent been able to find anything that performs the aesthetic task better. However, the problem with these watch straps is that they tend to fall apart after 6 month to a year thanks to the constant wear and tear put on my watch. The only time it is taken off is when Im swimming (its meant to be waterproof, but after I had to replace the front pane on it im not so sure) or something where damage is highly likely.

Im afraid one time it will break and I will lose one of my favourite possesions. Often I notice the signs and tape up possible breakages until I buy a replacement, but last time it broke and fell apart suddenly- luckily it was at night and I was able to find it in my bed.

ANYWAY- I decided to spend a bit more money and get a leather strap (I hate metal ones) that would last me a long time. The problem I have here is that this strap, after only about 1-2 months of usage, has become terribly smelly. The stench is distracting when my hand is anywhere near my face.

It hsa been suggested that this is due to a build up/absorption of sweat into the band, but Im a not particularly sweaty person (except for some nights where I keep too many coverings on my bed) and Ive only had the watch a short period. I wouldnt imagine this would be long enough for the leather to absorb a quantity large enough to create this problem.

Now, does anyone have a solution? Im not even sure if the smell IS due to sweat. How can I remove a smell from leather? Is it possible? Could the strap be inferior quality? What other options do I have?

I NEED something around my wrist that I am happy with.

Ass Goblin
28-05-2005, 11:59
I would suggest washing the band using something like interior car wash or something like that. Shouldn't hurt it and hopefully it will take the smell off.

salty
28-05-2005, 12:11
Take it off if you're:

a) sweating profusely
b) washing your hands - soapy water that gets under there gives you a real swine of a rash!
c) Get a metal strap!!! You might hate them but they are by far the best. What is it you don't like about them?

Salty :)

tzeentchgiant
28-05-2005, 12:35
that has happened on all my watches, metal leather and material straps, the way I get round it is by washing the strap in a bit of bleach, just for a couple of minutes then rinsing it for ages

TG

Snoozer
28-05-2005, 13:18
I have found a really good solution to this.... I use my cell phone... well it has an clock and I have it ALWAYS in my pocket, I used to have a watch also but after it broke I just started to use my cell phone to look what time it is.

:D

Wraith
28-05-2005, 15:06
You could buy one of those velcro straps (very reliable)... Don't recall in horror -- some look relatively nice with real leather stiched on the outside etc... depends on the watch though.

I have a metal strap on mine and I find they are the best.

tzeentchgiant
28-05-2005, 15:23
Unfortunately wraith, for those of us with stinky wrist, as it is known, there is no miracle material cure, I do suggest the bleach though, but make sure you rinse the starp thoroughly after to avoid skin irritation.

TG

salty
28-05-2005, 15:44
I have found a really good solution to this.... I use my cell phone... well it has an clock and I have it ALWAYS in my pocket, I used to have a watch also but after it broke I just started to use my cell phone to look what time it is.

:D

Off topic here but apparantly you shouldn't keep it ion your pocket all day as the Radiation leads to testicular cancer... but if you put it in a shirt pocket, it leads to breast cancer! Where they expect you to put it I dunno!

tzeentchgiant
28-05-2005, 15:48
It's only gives out microwaves, when somone is calling you, so unless you use a blue tooth kit or have conversations though your trousers the risk is minimal.

TG

Arnizipal
28-05-2005, 23:57
c) Get a metal strap!!! You might hate them but they are by far the best. What is it you don't like about them?

I'm not Tyra, but the thing I don't like about the metal straps is they sometimes pull out the little hairs on my arm. Terribly annoying. I've been using leathers straps ever since I hit puberty. :D

EVIL INC
29-05-2005, 05:56
I too do not like the metal straps. I have long arm hair and it pulls it out on me as well. :mad:
The velcro straps described with leather on them actually arent bad. My current watch has one and I was surprised by it.
Leather... I'm not sure how to get around the smell. The suggestions made so far all seem very good. Perhaps you could try to treat the leather before use. There are a great many waterproofing solutions made specially for leather. Perhaps some of them could help to keep the sweat out of it or keep it from being absorbed.
Truth be told, if the watch really is dear to you, I would simply not wear it. I would be paranoid of damaging it. Personal relics like that are best kept in a safe place.
Personally, I am a fan of pocket watches.

It's only gives out microwaves, when somone is calling you, so unless you use a blue tooth kit or have conversations though your trousers the risk is minimal.

TG
Well, I do know a lot of people that talk out thier... :eek: Just not sure if they do it on the phone. JK :)

tzeentchgiant
29-05-2005, 11:46
Well, I do know a lot of people that talk out thier... Just not sure if they do it on the phone. JK

That's what I was getting at he he

TG

Adept
29-05-2005, 12:45
Is it the same smell as when you take your socks off after wearing your shoes for 10+ hours?

Because it probably isn't sweat, but a build up of anaerobic bacteria feeding on shed epithelial cells under the watch band.

Get a loose band of any type. If the air gets in there all day, it should keep things nice and fresh, just how like you rarely get stinky feet if you are wearing thongs.

I also hate metal bands, for the hair-pulling-out reasons. That **** is annoying and painful.

Fusion
29-05-2005, 13:51
It's always a good idea to wash, Tyra. Wash yourself. Most days, if not everyday. It'll be a start, but a regime of personal hygine might help your predicament.

Maybe...

salty
29-05-2005, 14:04
I too do not like the metal straps. I have long arm hair and it pulls it out on me as well. :mad:

After a while they just get pulled so short that you don't notice it anymore, and, if you where your watch all the time (except when bathing of course) no-one notices that you have a bald patch on your wrist :p

Flame Boy
29-05-2005, 22:34
I used to have that problem but then I lost the stinky watch (perhaps the Inquisition took it away for studies?). Now I have a metal watch, and the only problems I have are hair-tweakage and that problem where you put your watch on and then fly throughthe ceiling when your wrist realises how cold the metal is...

Tyra_Nid
30-05-2005, 01:41
Yes, I dont like metal straps for the reasons listed above- and the look of them.

EVIL- its not that kind of object. Its more like a beloved tool that you cant bear to be without...

And yes Fusion, as always you are HIL-F@&KING-ARIOUS. Please only post when you have constructive comments :p

nevermore
30-05-2005, 12:20
Have you tried rubbing the area with a small bit of moistureiser, this will stop the affected area from sweating and may stop your smelly strap from distracting you!!!

tzeentchgiant
30-05-2005, 13:15
Moisturiser traps smells, so do some soaps.

Best to wash your watch, changing your routine won't affect the smell.

TG

McMullet
31-05-2005, 10:54
I have a leather strap on my watch - I just checked it, and it isn't noticeably smelly. Perhaps you should try taking the watch off at night, to give it a chance to dry out? Most organic materials (leather, cotton, feet, etc.) seem to get smelly when they've been in damp or humid conditions for a sustained time period. I don't mean drenched in sweat, just a bit damp, as would naturally happen when the watch is stuck against your skin with nowhere for your natural perspiration to go. I can't see that taking it off at night would be a massive disadvantage, and it would give it time dry out - most bacteria and the like (almost certainly the cause of the smell) don't like dry conditions.

Wraith
31-05-2005, 11:47
People actually go to bed with their watch still on? :eyebrows:

Sai-Lauren
31-05-2005, 12:50

TG
Actually, a mobile will be sending an intermittent signal back to the ground station (basically so the network knows which cell you're in so it knows which ground station to direct any calls to), even if you're not making a call.

McMullet
31-05-2005, 14:45
Apparently...

I don't think mobile phones really do much harm, there's yet to be any serious evidence of a strong link between cancer and mobiles - and let's face it, everything gives you cancer these days. Food packaging, drinking, air, water, radioactive fallout, and so on. People just aren't tough like they used to be.

PSD
31-05-2005, 17:33

My thoughts too...

As for leather straps, both my G Shocks have leather straps, and only one strap smells. Odd. :confused:

Tyra_Nid
01-06-2005, 02:37
Im thinking it may be some sort of inferior leather that causes potential smellage- or the way it has been prepared etc.

I dont suppose its REALLY necessary to wear a watch at night, but I weel naked without it.

Washing wouldnt really help... it sits in the shower (on the floor) in the morning so it gets drenched with water then.

McMullet
01-06-2005, 11:21
More moisture there then. It gets drenched every morning, thus making it hospitable for smell-forming bacteria, and then incubated by your body heat all day. Try taking it off at night, and not putting it in the shower.

Tyra_Nid
02-06-2005, 04:46
and not putting it in the shower.

How the hell am i supposed to tell the time, then!?

McMullet
02-06-2005, 10:53
You've got me there.

You could put a series of differently sized jam jars on the floor of the shower, and then as each one fills up you'll know a certain time period has elapsed. The main fault with that idea is that is quite a stupid thing to do, and may cause you to feel rather silly.

glimli
02-06-2005, 12:59

TG

ahhh no. your phone is constantly transmmiting. ever wondered how the phone knows where you are so calls can be directed to you. your phone is in constant communication with phone towers so the location display can works and calls can quickly you be relayed to you.

thats why when you turn your phone on it takes a while before you can make calls, the phone has to search for a phone tower. though this low level communication emmits much less power than when actual calls are taking place.

as for damage, there have been some studies claiming links to cancer. othing conclusive so saying there has been no evidence that it doesnt. i try keep min of my body as much as possible, and keep in a bag or whatever.

Sojourner
02-06-2005, 13:20
Phones give out the most radiation when connecting a call. This is the result of a study done by my mate in a physics lesson (no, seriously). So when you're making a call, hold the phone at arm's length while it connects. Once it's ringing, the radiation output drops.

tzeentchgiant
02-06-2005, 13:42
Well i meant the microwaves coming out of it bfore you make a call is so minimal it's worth ignoring (I was aware of the locating stuff)

Also sojouner, goood to know fact there.

TG

Sai-Lauren
02-06-2005, 14:20
Phones give out the most radiation when connecting a call. This is the result of a study done by my mate in a physics lesson (no, seriously). So when you're making a call, hold the phone at arm's length while it connects. Once it's ringing, the radiation output drops.

Not quite, if the signal between the phone and the mast is poor, the phone bumps up its output to try and compensate, if nothing else happens, it certainly eats your batteries charge.

And the positioning thing is also how the "find-your-closest pub/restuarant/railway station etc" things work out where you are (and how your phone can be used to track your location to GPS tolerances for those of you looking for the Government Black Helicopters ;)).

But if you've ever listened to a walkman when someone nearby is about to get a call on their mobile, you'll have a feeling for just how much EMR those things put out. :rolleyes:

Verergoca
02-06-2005, 17:12
Hmm.. the fact that you want to know the time while showering indicates either:

a). You shower to long, ergo you are wasting water, which leads me to the conclusion that the dryness of Australia is just a rumour

or

b). You are a whats it called... neurotic person that checks the time 60 times /min

:)

Tyra_Nid
03-06-2005, 03:06
Yeah, I have 20 minute showers.

Its a rampant wastage, but I NEED my shower time to wake up... besides, its the only waste of water I do.

Verergoca
03-06-2005, 09:03
one word: coffee