PDA

View Full Version : Orcs & Gobbos: need help

Brother Muninn
18-10-2010, 22:21
I started collecting for an Orc & Goblin army several years back, but got distracted (college, moving, marriage, etc.)

Now I have a bunch of Greenskin boxes, but I'm unfamiliar with what works in an army.

Here's what I've got. Can you give me some ideas on an army list, and what else I need?

40 Warriors (20 have two choppas, the others are not built)
16 Arrer Boyz
1 Orc Boar Chariot
20 Black Orcs (not built)
1 Black Orc Big Boss
1 Warboss on a boar
1 Grumlok and Gazbag

40 Night Goblin Spearmen (with shields)
20 Night Goblin Archers
10 Forest Goblin Spider Riders
3 Night Goblin Fanatics
1 Night Goblin Big Boss
1 night Goblin Shaman
2 standard Trolls

What should I ditch, and what more do I need?

~Muninn

Stuffburger
19-10-2010, 04:36
Orcs work best in units of 30-50 now, so build the rest with 2x choppas and use this unit to anchor your battle line. Use two 4x5 movement trays so you can easily switch between horde, for more attacks, and deep formations, for for greater ranks and steadfast.

I've found arrer boyz work as both small nuisance units, in groups of 10-15, and as larger multipurpose units of 30-40. They sell the plastic starter box ones on ebay pretty cheaply too if you want more.

I love the black orc models but I don't feel they are worth their points most of the time. Ideal unit size would be 25 or 30, but 20 is usable as well.

Boar chariots are good.

40 NG spearmen make a decent unit. I personally use a 50 strong unit, usually as a horde but sometimes deep. Also cheap on ebay.

20 NG archers is usable, 30 or 40 would be better. Also cheap on eBay.

Spider riders (and wolves) can work in two ways- annoyance units of 5 with bows, and combat units of 15 or 20 with spears and shields that go for flanks.

I don't know how trolls perform in this edition. Seems like the optimal size is 6 but smaller units may work.

What you have is very close to how i started O&G. I'd start by beefing up the night goblins a little and getting some war machines (At least one of each kind- spear chukker, rock lobber, doom diver), which will give you a playable army of around 1750 points if you use everything. Once you play some games you'll have a better idea of what you want next.