PDA

View Full Version : i want to use the transformation spell??

leeoaks
18-10-2010, 23:10
ok has anyone found a way to use this?

the best thing i can think of is to use high elves and nerf the following magic phase.

so i would take a level 2 who pick his spells and then a level 4 that has that stop the magic phase item this will give you at least a turn to get your points back!you would need to earn a good 300pts to make this worth it.

Any better ideas? if nothing else it will be funny.

Lee

Lord_Elric
18-10-2010, 23:15
could you please be a bit clearer as to what you intend to do

I understand the part about picking your spells but after that im unsure what you want to do from there

Whitehorn
18-10-2010, 23:27
I use a High Elf mage with the staff so that you can pick the spell. Then you just roll as many dice as possible and hope for Ultimate Power.

Next turn it gets dispelled.

Obfuscate
18-10-2010, 23:30
Thats where is saying the Vortex Shard comes in. A lvl 4 is a lot of points just to take the vortex shard to make sure your opponent wont be able to dispel it.

The battlefield effectiveness of the points investment makes it questionable. Not to mention that it actually dispells RIP spells anyway. :)

leeoaks
18-10-2010, 23:45
The way i see it the level two is dead. The level 4 would become your main caster. is this extra turn worth the points?

also doe the beast retain ASF?

Obfuscate
19-10-2010, 12:43
The vortex shard could well be worth it. A turn taken away from your opponent's magic phase is an extra turn to try and take that wizard out.

If you cast Transformation you would indeed keep ASF. However, using the vortex shard will also automatically kill RIP spells, I believe, so if you are beasted up you will also be turning yourself back into a mage so ultimately the plan of using Kadon with it is very flawed.

freddieyu
19-10-2010, 14:23
Well, the other day I organized a tourney, and in a game betwen HW and DoC a well timed Kadon spell saved the butt of a Phoenix guard unit with a level 1 mage from a bloodthirster, as the mage became a mountain chimera and slew the bloodthirster in a single round, as ASF made it strike first...4d6(+1 due to frenzy) poisoned s7 attacks really rock!!!

magicmonkey
19-10-2010, 18:58
another good thing i belive is if you change to different thngs you can use loads of nasty breath weapons, so what i did was steed of shadows/flew him behind the enemy then transformed so i couldnt be charged if dispelled (likely) and could re cast if i charged (risky) or fire 2 breath weapons at a unit up close (kaboom)

Destruction2
19-10-2010, 22:22
yu could of course do the sneaky trick. Take archmage in what ever unit you fancy, give him silver wand, folriaths robe and the item which means that magic weapons in base contact don't work. Charge unit, turn in to dragon cause the odds of not rolling a six or a double with 5 dice are very low, then turn into chimera, magic items nullified, attack whatever with asf initative 5, then once attacks done end spell and get items back so the enemy in almost every sircumatance cannot hurt u.

_dandaman_
21-10-2010, 00:12
yu could of course do the sneaky trick. Take archmage in what ever unit you fancy, give him silver wand, folriaths robe and the item which means that magic weapons in base contact don't work. Charge unit, turn in to dragon cause the odds of not rolling a six or a double with 5 dice are very low, then turn into chimera, magic items nullified, attack whatever with asf initative 5, then once attacks done end spell and get items back so the enemy in almost every sircumatance cannot hurt u.

Except while you have forlaiths robes on you may not strike blows in combat, so either your etherieal and you cant strike, or your not etherial and you can strike, either way you're plan is kinda screwed.

Sandals
21-10-2010, 14:48
he's talking about cancelling the spell as soon as he's done attacking. Whilst it's in play the item doesn't work, therefore he can attack. As soo as he's done with his massive number of attacks, he cancels the spell and the items start working again - therefore he can't be attacked back.

It's a nasty combo to pull off, and it negates the ability of the monsters to Thunderstomp, reducing the number of casualties. Personally I would wait until they are attaking and see how many hits they get then decide whether to turn back or not. You will be in base to base with a max of 4 models, and depending on how good your opponants are the attacks may be better to actually take as the monster than negating them as the mage.

amysrevenge
21-10-2010, 18:12
I don't have my rulebook handy (and play Dwarfs so it never comes up for me). Is the "cancel your own RIP spell whenever you like" rule really written so liberally that you can choose to end it in between your opponent rolling to hit and rolling to wound?

Sandals
21-10-2010, 20:13
i think so. I don't think it was helped by a dodgy FAQ in v1.0. It says "at any time."

I've not checked it out in v1.1 yet, they may have tightened up the wording.