PDA

View Full Version : WH40K RPG: Tales of Cnl Quaricht

SolkaTruesilver
19-10-2010, 01:23
I just started up a game of Scion, which uses the Whitewolf (World of Darkness) system very high-powered. We are Full- but junior- Inquisitors for now. But the game will progress as we discover we are Primachs, as 20 new primarchs are discovered and all the lost Primarchs are coming back for a big showdown.

3 players in the game;
- The Quintessential Ubersoldier. That player just is in the RPGs for blowing up stuff and cutting ennemies in pieces. That's gonna be handy.

- The Infiltrator/Religious Assassin, female. That player is undecided, but I like overall her character concept. She is the "interrogator", she has status in the Ecclesiarchy and in the Administratum. She is also perfectly sealthy and agile.

- My character, the Colonel of the Imperial Army. I have influence in the Fleet, have put maximum points in Military tactics, Army Politics, have a maximum available status in the Imperial Guard (if I wasn't in the Inquisition, I'd probably be a High General by now). He has a contingent of 500 Guardsmen who follows him around, with support equipment.

The GM is very generous. He favors cinematic combat style, so we agreed that my Tactic skill is gonna come handy: I roll the skill before going in an operation, and the # of success I get says how strong is my retroactive knowledge.

Example: We just blew up the ennemy's base. We are in trouble. I say: "Luckily for us, I already ordered evac, they're gonna be here in 40 seconds".

Or I suddenly "remember" that I installed grenade positions and booby trap explosives in strategic locations, or have support ready to arrive 2 minutes ago. Ya know, like the Smart Military Commander in movies always do seems to plan ahead.

Anyway. My character is like me. He HATES the Spaces Marines. He considers them to be monstruous military genetically engineered abominations made solely to fight for, babysit and oppress Humanity when it strikes their fancy.

But he's gonna be a Primarch. Which means, he has to create his own breed of Space Marines. We all are going to. So I thought; why should I create physical Super-Marines? I should create my own brand of superhumans, the kind that would benefic humanity much more: Super-Leaders.

Rather than picking the strongest, toughest and most killer men I can find to give them my geneseed, I pick the brighest officers and noncoms I can put my hands on, which will transmit them and bring out of them the greatest sense of loyalty, charisma and military genius. With these Ubermenstches leading them, the Imperial Guard will be invincible. :cool:

For the other two characters, I've had an idea; the woman would be the Sisters of Battle Primarch, and the Ubersoldier could be the Ogryn Primarchs.

Just think what an Human is to a Space Marine.

Now think what an Ogryn would be to a Ogryn Marine.

TheLaughingGod
19-10-2010, 10:48
Man, so you just tossed canon out the window, huh?

Now I want to run an Exalted game where I play the Harlequin Phoenix Lord!
We will team up with the Farseer Phoenix Lord and the Avatar of Khaine Phoenix Lord!
Looks like, this game... has nothing to do with Warhammer 40k fluff... yeeeeaaaah!!

Scalebug
19-10-2010, 13:15
Yeah.... what TheLaughingGod said... I forsee a handfull of posts pointing out the utter lack of canon regard, followed by rabid retorts about how this is OK and how everyone should listen to the awesomeness of dissing Marines, some "It's your game, do what you wants" and mis-used "it's a big universe, everything is possible" and then a mod will lock it down...

I don't mind a high-powered RPG setting, but as stated above, this is not "40K background"

spetswalshe
19-10-2010, 13:34
For the other two characters, I've had an idea; the woman would be the Sisters of Battle Primarch, and the Ubersoldier could be the Ogryn Primarchs.

That quote alone is going to be remembered on this forum for a long, long time, I hope :)

Culgore
19-10-2010, 13:47
I wish I could sig the entire post......... awesome

edit : this reminds me of syfy original movies. I wish GW would sell SYFY the ip for a movie.... it would be hilarious

SolkaTruesilver
19-10-2010, 14:34
Eh, you get the gist of it. Initially, I was extremely reticent at this whole idea. For me, Warhammer 40K is more about being a peck in the gigantic Saharah that is the Galaxy, even if you lead an army of thousands of soldiers.

I think it helps this game's sanity that I am the only player who actually knows the lore of Warhammer 40k (the GM seems to have a stretched understanding of it, the other players had to be explained what is a Boltgun). For the rest, I simply roll my eyes and let the other players/GM have their fun. The GM had an idea for a high-powered universe, and I decided to give it a shot. Canon be damned! :D

What I don't get is that you people don't seem to understand. I mean, it's not like we would try to pass our RPG games as remotely canon, just that some people try to have fun with the WH40K verse with over the top thinking. Why are you all so antagonist with the idea?

I mean, once you accept the (madly) weird take that there are more than the initial 20 Primarch, what's to stop changing the Geneseed's effect? Space Marines are effectively the best of men from specific planets that are genetically augmented using Geneseed to increase their durability, strenght, agility, tactical thinking, etc... In short, it's like a Plug'n Play Genetic Engineering, rather than Genetically Engineering a monster from scratch.

And if you really take the idea that Geneseeds are "Plug'n Play Genetic Engineering" tailored for specific behavior/aptitudes: A Blood Angel recruit won't be like an Ultramarine recruit nor would they be like a Space Wolves recruit. Each of these chapters have different behavior, capacities, etc, that defines them. It'd make sense to think that the geneseeds would only be compatible with the kind of person that fits the Primarch's core personnality and outlook on warfare.

Ergo, with additional Primarchs (or even the Lost One), you can end up with radically different Space Marines than the ones initially created at the time of the Emperor. Different times create different brands. What's to stop a Primarch to make sure his geneseed is only compatible to Ogryn's, for example?

Anyway, if you whole argument can be resumed as "But it isn't canon! :cries:" just don't bother posting. I already try to avoid the headache caused by canon violation, and I'm just trying to help my fellow players have fun with this big concept.

Colonel Deal
19-10-2010, 14:45
I think that people have a problem not with this being non-canon, but that you posted it in 40k Background. You would have been better off posting it down in the rpg forum if you're looking for ideas and suggestions.

As it is, I couldn't really see any questions in your OP, just information about the game you're playing.

SolkaTruesilver
19-10-2010, 14:55
I think that people have a problem not with this being non-canon, but that you posted it in 40k Background. You would have been better off posting it down in the rpg forum if you're looking for ideas and suggestions.

Whot?

*checks for 5 minutes*

Oh, buggers. I completely missed it. Yhea, nevermind.

As for ideas/suggestion, it was mostly open about what fluff elements I missed you think I could bring in for fun. Like: How cruel would be Geneseed augmented Commissars, with a geneseed specifically made to augment their... well, what makes a Commissar a Commissar. :wtf:

(My apologies, I definetly did not intended this post to be considered even remotely canon)

Karl MkVI
19-10-2010, 15:11
I know a lot about 40K. a lot. despite that, this is by far the most confusing thing I have ever read. I brook no disrespect, but I think my reaction would be best summed up as:

:wtf::confused::no::eek:

and, in an attempt to try to be useful, I would add a suggestion that this thread really shouldn't be in 40K background. sorry dude. merci beaucoup for the entertainment though :)

Shamana
19-10-2010, 15:41
As for ideas/suggestion, it was mostly open about what fluff elements I missed you think I could bring in for fun. Like: How cruel would be Geneseed augmented Commissars, with a geneseed specifically made to augment their... well, what makes a Commissar a Commissar. :wtf:

Well, it's not their genes, really, unless you can mess up their hormones so they are constantly in a bad mood. What makes a commissar is a Frakillion hours of hard training, and even more of religious/nationalist/xenophobic/fascizoid indoctrination. Oh yeah, and the badass overcoat and the hat. Mind you, occasionally it doesn't work as advertised: see Cain, Caiaphas.

That aside, give us the answer to real question: who's playing the ratling primarch?

SolkaTruesilver
19-10-2010, 15:49
That aside, give us the answer to real question: who's playing the ratling primarch?

:D

We do have a player that kinda have been pissing us off in his inconsistency. He's gonna be either the Ratling, or the Squat Primarch. Hehe...

But I see what you mean about "training" for the Commissars. However, I do not believe anybody you pick off the street can be a good Commissar, or even get promoted out of Commissar school. I am sure there is some natural skill involved, mix of ruthlessness, scary aura and strong willpower.

I guess whatever geneseed you'd add would probably be emphasing on those elements rather than strenght, agility, and redundant organs.

SolkaTruesilver
19-10-2010, 15:50
I know a lot about 40K. a lot. despite that, this is by far the most confusing thing I have ever read. I brook no disrespect, but I think my reaction would be best summed up as:

:wtf::confused::no::eek:

It IS a confusing mess of a post, but I wasn't sure how to approach it. And I was kinda half asleep anyway.

I'm probably going to repost this in the RPG forum, edited. :angel:

nagash66
19-10-2010, 15:54
MOST AWESOME FUNNY THREAD OF DOOOOOOOOM, i have seen in a long time.

spetswalshe
19-10-2010, 17:00
I guess whatever geneseed you'd add would probably be emphasing on those elements rather than strenght, agility, and redundant organs.

If you're not putting in psychological conditioning, then I guess it would just be something to heighten fearlessness, rigid thinking and an utter refusal to compromise. Which, to be fair, are things almost every Space Marine displays (in the background, obviously). Stick any Marine in a Guard regiment and the Commissar will find himself with very little to actually do.

SolkaTruesilver
19-10-2010, 17:10
If you're not putting in psychological conditioning, then I guess it would just be something to heighten fearlessness, rigid thinking and an utter refusal to compromise. Which, to be fair, are things almost every Space Marine displays (in the background, obviously). Stick any Marine in a Guard regiment and the Commissar will find himself with very little to actually do.

How about pure charismatic/leadership attributes, with a hint of pheromone a la Etheral, that make sure your soldiers stand your ground and outperform themselves, even when not in battle?

cornonthecob
20-10-2010, 06:18
How about pure charismatic/leadership attributes, with a hint of pheromone a la Etheral, that make sure your soldiers stand your ground and outperform themselves, even when not in battle?

Well...you could have a bolter strapped to his bolter , the first is for the whole 'Only In death does duty end' thing. Silly ? Maybe, but Marines ( and Primarchs) aren't exactly the most sensible people what with the Fleshtearers and their 'CHAINSAWS!!!!' thing (I'm surprised they haven't got a gun that fires 'em yet) or the Space Wolves with their constant re-naming of everything to be Wolfy.

SolkaTruesilver
20-10-2010, 12:31
Well...you could have a bolter strapped to his bolter , the first is for the whole 'Only In death does duty end' thing. Silly ? Maybe, but Marines ( and Primarchs) aren't exactly the most sensible people what with the Fleshtearers and their 'CHAINSAWS!!!!' thing (I'm surprised they haven't got a gun that fires 'em yet) or the Space Wolves with their constant re-naming of everything to be Wolfy.

I already noticed that Marines aren't the most stable of people. The reason I (and by extension, my character) despise the Space Marines, it's because they aren't human in the least. they are just genetically engineered monsters meant to fight and do nothing else.

They are more prone to turn to Chaos worship than your average Imperial Citizen. They are not more clever than the average human beyond tactical thinking. They don't have art, culture or anything that defines us as "human" beyond fighting and killing. They don't reproduce.

The reasoning being, the engineering has focused on their physical quality to create the supersoldier. This created superhuman beings with the moral and mental compass still on par with humans. What is the engineering did away with the physical quality, and increased something else, including the mental and moral compass?

Aliarzathanil
22-10-2010, 09:40
I think you should have one of the player characters be the Emperor himself. He should carry a lightsaber (a blue one, obviously) and everyone should help him pilot the Enterprise into Mordor to destroy the one true ring before Gargamel turns all the ratlings into gold (or eats them). And then, as a twist, the Emperor is revealed to be a Skynet Terminator sent back in time to kill Rick Priestley (who SPOILER ALERT! is actually a Cylon, also, he has magic powers) before he can create any 40k canon.

SolkaTruesilver
22-10-2010, 12:25
I think you should have one of the player characters be the Emperor himself. He should carry a lightsaber (a blue one, obviously) and everyone should help him pilot the Enterprise into Mordor to destroy the one true ring before Gargamel turns all the ratlings into gold (or eats them). And then, as a twist, the Emperor is revealed to be a Skynet Terminator sent back in time to kill Rick Priestley (who SPOILER ALERT! is actually a Cylon, also, he has magic powers) before he can create any 40k canon.

1- Nah, the Emperor is too high of powerlevel, who would keep us in check if we are Him?
2- Lightsaber. I dunnow, make me the argument as to why the lightsaber is better than a power sword?
3- I just don't want to think about what an Star Trek/Warhammer 40k cross would look like. I got headache already.
4- Mordor.. hmm.. well, it's not like ther AREN'T Death Worlds filled with Orks already.
5- Gargamel.. eh, the ennemy of the Smurfs? You know, it ain't a bad idea.
6- Skynet: I already thought about the implication of the return of the Men of Iron, and I am not sure I like it. The "Terminator" niche alrady been filled by the Necrons.
7- I don't think there is anything against the principle of Warhammer 40K being a continuation of the BSG-verse :wtf:

Aliarzathanil
22-10-2010, 19:34
1. His dad, clearly.
2. It slices AND dices.
3. You know what else causes headaches: too much AWESOME
4. These are no mere orks, these are Uruk-hai.
5. Yes, I know. You're welcome.
6. Asimov's fourth law of robotics: "Robots are cool. You can't have too many robots"
7. No, there isn't. Boom. Consider your mind blown.

SolkaTruesilver
22-10-2010, 19:37
1. His dad, clearly.
2. It slices AND dices.
3. You know what else causes headaches: too much AWESOME
4. These are no mere orks, these are Uruk-hai.
5. Yes, I know. You're welcome.
6. Asimov's fourth law of robotics: "Robots are cool. You can't have too many robots"
7. No, there isn't. Boom. Consider your mind blown.

1) The Emperor's Dad? Nah.. ludicrous. The guy just popped into existence centuries ago
2) Yhea, yhea, but does it procure a satisfying blood geyser? I don't think so!
3) Or just reaching an impossibility paradox. This game is going to give me a big ennough headache regarding canon violation, I don't think we need to add Star Trek to the mix. :wtf:
4) Heresy! You want to make Orks more clever? That just doesn't work.
6) Sorry. I Robot proved you utterly wrong.

Fordineaux
22-10-2010, 21:51
OT: I want to sig the entirety of that exchange. Brilliant.

Aliarzathanil
23-10-2010, 13:30
Well, I tried. I think you're walking away from some good ideas here...

Stonerhino
24-10-2010, 06:09
6- Skynet: I already thought about the implication of the return of the Men of Iron, and I am not sure I like it. The "Terminator" niche alrady been filled by the Necrons.
7- I don't think there is anything against the principle of Warhammer 40K being a continuation of the BSG-verse
6- Skynet was a STD a Necron Lord gave a Commador 64 in the 1980's and thus already cannon.
7- Starbuck, was the Deciever and so already cannon as well.

So you are going to have to come up with more idea because GW has already stolen those.

SolkaTruesilver
25-10-2010, 12:38
6- Skynet was a STD a Necron Lord gave a Commador 64 in the 1980's and thus already cannon.
7- Starbuck, was the Deciever and so already cannon as well.

So you are going to have to come up with more idea because GW has already stolen those.

You know the expression "madness from realisation"?

Well, I just got there...

Mwahaba-flamtech! :D