PDA

View Full Version : RUSTED - A warhammer 40k comic...

Aerion the Faithful
10-03-2006, 23:41
Salutations to all...
My name is Aerion the Faithful (well, it's not actually my REAL name, but you get the idea), and have been lurking for a while here on Warseer. I was a member of the -now defunct- Bolter&Chainsword forum, and was introduced to Warseer by my_name_is_tudor. So, i came, saw, and now i'm posting to have your opinions on this. What you are about to see is a comic made by myself and my associate FreakForge, based upon his award-winning chapter the 'Iron Souls'. It was originally intended to be a serial, but since we didn't have anywhere to post it, we delayed it for a while. I hope that it finds a place here on Warseer, and, who knows? If people are interested in it, maybe we'll continue with it.
Now, a note on my style: since i first began posting on the B&C, my style drew the line between those who loved it and saw real potential and originality in it, and those that felt it had nothing to do with W40K. What i believe is that my style gives a fresh look to the characters that we all love and like, and despite it not being the 'official' GW aproach, you'll see that somehow it fits the 40K theme. So, please, be kind and prepare yourselves for something new.
Of course, being a 'noob' here, i might be breaking size restrictions or something, so the Moderators are free to call my attention.
Comments and critiscism is always welome and encouraged: the only way to improve is by listening to advice.

So, here you have it, and i hope you enjoy it:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/RustedW40kComic/RustedPrologueCover.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/RustedW40kComic/RustedProloguePage1.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/RustedW40kComic/RustedProloguePage2.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/RustedW40kComic/RustedProloguePage3.jpg

Aerion the Faithful
10-03-2006, 23:45
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/RustedW40kComic/RustedProloguePage4.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/RustedW40kComic/RustedProloguePage5.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/RustedW40kComic/RustedProloguePage6.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/RustedW40kComic/RustedProloguePage7.jpg

Aerion the Faithful
10-03-2006, 23:47
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/RustedW40kComic/RustedProloguePage8.jpg

A neutral shade of black.
10-03-2006, 23:56
Nice. I like the graphic style very much. More, and get a dedicated page! :P

MIGHTYPanhead
11-03-2006, 00:00
ah, good to see you made it here!:)

looking foreward to more stuff from you

tzeentchgiant
11-03-2006, 00:16
Wow, I mean that WOW, I can't wait for the next installment :D :) :) :).

TG

Velkyn Kyil
11-03-2006, 01:57
Very nice. The logo seems a bit blurryish though.. maybe a bit more work on it?

Warboss Garfang
11-03-2006, 03:03
Very nice, drawing skills are AMAZING. Keep up the good work, I absolutely love it. I don't really see anything wrong with it at all, your style is great.

cerealkiller195
11-03-2006, 06:18
great stuff, can't wait to see what happens next

ahoef
11-03-2006, 08:01
Very, very nice! Looking forward to see more

Lord-Warlock
11-03-2006, 09:33
Imperium, not Empire.

Other than that, frickin' awesome! :D Sin City-inspired, with the only colours being black, white and rust?

WanderingRogue
11-03-2006, 10:03
i like, i like very much.!

juddski
11-03-2006, 11:17
:eek: :eek: ,love your style :cool: ,

you seem to have a good understanding of how to produce proffetional looking comics ..great story line to. can't wait for the next issue:D

McMullet
11-03-2006, 12:23
Wowzers. That's amazing stuff! I love the style.

Gae'Mot
11-03-2006, 13:31
Quality work there, can't wait to see the rest of the story.

yerpo
11-03-2006, 13:54
Lucky me!, clicking the S&A section after a long time and finding this.

Aerion, you seem to be an experienced comic drawer. The action inside the panels is well defined, plus you have an interesting style and the story is very 40k universe style.
I don't see why your approach would be considered "wrong" (as far as the drawing style is concerned). If the GW has its own stye that doesn't mean that every fan art should look the same.

Anyway, do keep drawing, I'm very interested in how this turns out.

cheers,

Bubble Ghost
11-03-2006, 14:20
Imperium, not Empire.

I'm guessing that's a deliberate choice to put a more human face on the narrator. If it is, it works.

I can honestly say that this comic alone has made me interested in 40K again. Not the game, you understand, I'll never give a crap about that again:D - but the backstory.

yerpo
11-03-2006, 15:03
There's a slight inconsistence in the story, now that I think about it more. Namely, I don't think piloting a Sentinel and shooting the Marine in the chest would make the youngster "promising" in the eyes of that Marine. The lad would have to do something more... impressive, IMO.

Afterthought: I didn't know whether to post this or not, 'cause fluffwise it just might be enough, depending on the circumstances you had in mind. But I did it anyway, in hope you'll explain the situation further.

Aerion the Faithful
11-03-2006, 15:08
First off, let me say... WOW!... And second: THANK YOU! I'm actually shocked at the great response this comic has had, and i thank you all who have had so many kind words towards my art, and the story. I'm really excited :D , and of course, this will bring me back to the drawing board on the W40K subject.
And to answer some questions: Velkyn Kill - The logo might seem a little blurryish due to the scanning of the original. Sometimes scanners are the death of an image. But i'll try to pay more attention to it.
Lord-Warlock - 'Empire', instead of 'Imperium' is deliberate as Bubble Ghost so keenly deduced. FreakForge and i are trying to bring not only a more 'human' side of the story, but also to shown that being a citizen of the Imperium isn't that great. Most of the time you get killed for it, or because of it. After all, humanity is in constant war. And yes, i'm a fan of Frank Miller, and i believe that this sort of colour scheme gives much more mood to the story, and makes it more gothic (wich is what the 40K universe is all about).
And, before i go, i want to credit my partner FreakForge for writing this fabulous story, that will now have to go on, or we will be assasinated :p . I'll tell him to come by and drop a few words.

Thanks again, and keep those comments coming.

Aerion The Faithful

Aerion the Faithful
11-03-2006, 15:18
There's a slight inconsistence in the story, now that I think about it more. Namely, I don't think piloting a Sentinel and shooting the Marine in the chest would make the youngster "promising" in the eyes of that Marine. The lad would have to do something more... impressive, IMO.
Afterthought: I didn't know whether to post this or not, 'cause fluffwise it just might be enough, depending on the circumstances you had in mind. But I did it anyway, in hope you'll explain the situation further.

I was just posting when you wrote this Yerpo, so i'll answer you: the fact is that the 'Iron Souls' are a succesor chapter of the Iron hands, but have some particular beliefs about what happened to their Primarch Ferrus Manus. This has sort of set them apart from the many other Space Marine chapters, that see them as religious fanatics (yes, even when SM are already fanatic, so you go figure). As followers of Ferrus, they price strength above all things, and the fact that a youngster showed that he could go as far as dying to kill one of them, is very promising. But 'promising' is not the end of the story. Our character went through a lot to prove he was worth REALLY something. And hopefully you'll see it on the following issues... Thanks for your interest. And if you have any more questions, shoot (but not to kill :p)...

Until soon

Aerion The Faithful

Lord-Warlock
11-03-2006, 16:27
Lord-Warlock - 'Empire', instead of 'Imperium' is deliberate as Bubble Ghost so keenly deduced. FreakForge and i are trying to bring not only a more 'human' side of the story, but also to shown that being a citizen of the Imperium isn't that great. Most of the time you get killed for it, or because of it. After all, humanity is in constant war. And yes, i'm a fan of Frank Miller, and i believe that this sort of colour scheme gives much more mood to the story, and makes it more gothic (wich is what the 40K universe is all about).

Good to know, the possibility struck me after I had posted. If you knew how many times I'd seen someone refer to the Empire of Man and its Spacemarine Legions you'd faint :p And good to know you're a Miller fan as well.

And hopefully you'll see it on the following issues...

Woohoo!

- LoW

Sylass
11-03-2006, 16:41
Aerion the Faithful, in case you wonder why I edited your posts, I just added the pictures as attachments to the thread. So that they are available in case photobucket is offline or something. :)

Cpt_Tiberius
11-03-2006, 17:13
Oh thank goodness! I've been keeping an eye out for you ever since the B&C went down. Glad you found your way over here. I've been wondering what happened with your Iron Souls project, and I have to say it was worth the wait! :)

You might also consider posting your Sisters story as I am sure that there would be many people interested in reading it over here. Great job and keep it coming!

WanderingRogue
11-03-2006, 17:29
ok own up - whos now thinking or running out and buying aload of iron hands stuff? i dont actually own a marine army..........hmm........

Yorkiebar
11-03-2006, 17:46
Man, this comic is badass. It's made it into my prestigious 'Webcomix0rz' folder of bookmarks, right alongside TurnSignals and Order of the Stick. I'd like to see it put somewhere on the site where I can view the whole comic, though, without people posting between episodes.

Bitterman
11-03-2006, 18:49
Yeah, the comic rocks!. Your style reminds me of that of Batman, the animated series. It is indeed a very original take on the WH40k ´ooniverse. Congrats :).

Pfreck
11-03-2006, 19:45
Just an awesome comic! it's not too 'Cartoon-ish' I like it a lot!
can't wait to see the next one!

TheSonOfAbbadon
11-03-2006, 19:55
If I were you, I would send this off to GW and ask them if you can do some comics for White Dwarf.

It's so good looking!

But, I don't get why the kid rebelled and tried to kill a Space Marine...

Sylass
11-03-2006, 20:03
If I were you, I would send this off to GW and ask them if you can do some comics for White Dwarf.

It's so good looking!

I knew it was a good idea to subscribe to this thread...

You can be sure that I'll do my best to avoid that and trick (;)) him into doing some work for us instead. :angel:

my_name_is_tudor
11-03-2006, 21:06
I told you you'd get a good response Aerion :P

You already know my opinion on this stuff, and it of course echoes the great response of all the above posts.

Can't wait to see more

Aerion the Faithful
11-03-2006, 21:09
Hey everyone...
THANK YOU! again; everytime i check the thread i've got more praise and believe me: it's a pleasure to see that you all enjoy my work. I'll just have to keep it coming, then ;) .
I'm also glad to find other exiles form the B&C here. And that still haven't lost their interest in 'Rusted'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonOfAbbadon
It's so good looking!
I knew it was a good idea to subscribe to this thread...
You can be sure that I'll do my best to avoid that and trick () him into doing some work for us instead.

Oh... you're not the first to tell me i should send samples of my work to the people that make our lives happier by bringing us those funny minis... I'm on it. That's all i'll say. But perhaps i will be tricked here first... :rolleyes:

And about the kid wanting to kill the Marine, well, he's got plenty of reasons: They came and finished up destroying his homeworld while battling with the Necrons, they didn't look after anyone (like the Imperium promises), and his father was killed by them in a crossfire on page three... i would be pissed too...

So, any other questions/comments will be very welcome. You'll have to wait a little bit for the next installment, since 'real life' obligations often turn into delays of our pleasures. But it's coming, THAT you can COUNT ON...

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

Yorkiebar
11-03-2006, 21:23
I quickly skimmed through the posts and I don't think anyone's asked this already. How did the kid get his hands on a sentinel? Maybe some kind of industrial machine, but a lascannon armed sentinel? He'd have to steal it from the PDF or something.

11-03-2006, 21:26
Imperium, not Empire.

In actual fact... *cue pedantic gibberish*

Imperium is gothic (both low and high, conveniently) for Empire. Which means that strictly speaking, as the text in those pannels is translated from Latin into English for our ease of reading, it is indeed Empire.

my_name_is_tudor
11-03-2006, 21:26
I quickly skimmed through the posts and I don't think anyone's asked this already. How did the kid get his hands on a sentinel? Maybe some kind of industrial machine, but a lascannon armed sentinel? He'd have to steal it from the PDF or something.

It is set during a war

TheSonOfAbbadon
11-03-2006, 21:30

The imperial guardsmen using it got killed, the Necrons left it, he stole it.

Also, you know the marine said 'you may still be of some use', am I the only one who doesn't think 'marine' and thniks 'servitor'?

Ziljin
12-03-2006, 01:52
just saw this, totally awesome.

Goblinardo
12-03-2006, 02:18
Just beautiful. Congratulations!

Aurelien
12-03-2006, 02:31
Please to be making with the next installment. This is damn cool:)

Very well done to you both gentlemen!

Aerion the Faithful
12-03-2006, 15:51
Hey, guys...
Well, i'm glad to see that you are still liking this. Yesterday i spoke to FreakForge and he was anxious to continue with the story, so: expect pages soon! :D
And while you're doing the 'waiting business, i may post some illustrations i've made from the grim Warhammer 40,000 Universe that i hope you'll like as much as the comic.

See you all very soon.

Aerion the Faithful

malika
12-03-2006, 16:34
Oh this is very cool! Very awesome to see you still make the comics! I probably already drooled all over your work back when B&C was still alive.
You should post the Farewell Sister story here!

Lord-Warlock
12-03-2006, 16:35
Huzzah!

Also, you know the marine said 'you may still be of some use', am I the only one who doesn't think 'marine' and thniks 'servitor'?

Considering the next panel shows him as a Space Marine Sergeant, not particularly... :p

- LoW

tzeentchgiant
12-03-2006, 16:39
No, the next panel shows A SM sergeant, not him as one :rolleyes:.

TG

Lord-Warlock
12-03-2006, 16:55
Well, said Sergeant has the exact same hairstyle... ;)

- LoW

12-03-2006, 18:05
Well, said Sergeant has the exact same hairstyle... ;)

And is conveniently having what definitely appears to be a flashback...

Aerion the Faithful
12-03-2006, 22:34
And is conveniently having what definitely appears to be a flashback...

I'll respond a couple of things that have come up: The young lad that fights the Space Marine, is (in fact) the Space Marine Sergeant that, as Aneutralshadeofblack said, is having a flashback of how he first came into contact with the Iron Souls. He became a Sergeant within their ranks, obviously because he had the strength and endurance expected by the Chapter on its disciples. However, as the story develops, you'll come to realize that the Iron Souls are very strange indeed, both in their beliefs and rituals, and this particular character (whom you'll learn his name also) will find its place in the greater scheme of the story-arc too...

But i don't want to give away all the story! So, keep your eyes open...

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

Warboss Garfang
12-03-2006, 23:49
I'm keeping my eyes open, but I'm not seeing any comics!

*Cry*

Hope to see some more awesome stuff soon.

punkoteloco
13-03-2006, 03:13
Wow, i must say. I was hoping for this since bolter came down, but now we are here. Its really great. I would love to see more.

punkoteloco

PS: Nice to be here together again

NorthernMike
13-03-2006, 03:22
These are really awsome. Well layed out and thought out. Nice lettering as well! All in all, a very cool style - reminds me a bit of Batman's Bruce Timm.

cspo
13-03-2006, 06:25
Excellent work. Great style, and beautiful colouring. Post your "Sisters of Battle" art! ;)

(fuera de tema: que tal la movida wh40k en argentina? yo soy de santiago, chile.)

Escaflowne_Z
13-03-2006, 10:48
Hey, there. Another B&C refugee here. COME BACK, POWER ARMOR GOODNESS! Anyway, I never saw this when I was there, but I'm liking it here. Please, you two hook us up with more *waves Monopoly money*. And I'm sure we would all like to see your other 40k art.

de Selby
13-03-2006, 11:58
Thoroughly excellent. I'm not usually into graphic novels and such, I find I end up just reading the story and only paying attention to the images to check what's going on. In general I'd rather sit down with a book.

But I really like the style of this, and I can see the work that's gone into it. How long does it take you to finish a panel?

btw, greetings to all the expatriates from Bolter and Chainsword. You're more than welcome to bring us more stuff like this...

Aerion the Faithful
13-03-2006, 14:06
Another roundup of excellent reviews! Thank you, brothers. I'm sharpening my pencil to bring you more stuff soon... but first, i'd like to respond to some posts:

PS: Nice to be here together again

Hey, Punkoteloco! Are you, like, stalking me!?:wtf: But seriously, thanks for all your support. You've been there from the beginning and i still owe you a Grey Knights illustration. ;)

All in all, a very cool style - reminds me a bit of Batman's Bruce Timm.

Hey NorthernMike, thank you for your words. And yes, my style does resemble that of Bruce Timm, since he is THE biggest influence i've had. It's good to see that people know their artists :D .

Excellent work. Great style, and beautiful colouring. Post your "Sisters of Battle" art!

Will do, soon, i promise... (OffTopic: La movida W40K aquí en Argentina está un poco 'lenta', mi amigo, pero estamos haciendo lo posible por resucitarla...)

But I really like the style of this, and I can see the work that's gone into it. How long does it take you to finish a panel?

Thank you de Selby. It's always good to know that my work has appealed the 'book only' audience. Usually i separate the work in three stages, those being: 1-Pencilling 2-Inking and adding some depth 3-Colouring and touching up. The last part of the work on the page usually takes me about a day, so each panel (depending on its complexity) should probably take about half an hour or so. Of course, all this is if the Muse ladies are with me, if not... i'm creatively dead... :skull:

Thanks for all your comments, guys. You've really made me very happy, and brought back some of the confidence in my work that i was lacking lately. Soon, and while you await for the next chapter of 'Rusted', i will be bringing some illustration goodies for you to check out...

Until soon.

Aerion the Faithful

Crube
13-03-2006, 14:13
Very impressive. I like the graphic style...

Any chance of getting your own site ,with regular updates...

Failing that, more dammit...come on - draw...:D

FreakForge
13-03-2006, 19:11
SOOO,... here we are.
I´m very glad to see all the comments about the first episode of 'Rusted'.
Aerion and myself are working on the next episodes,... we hope you enjoy them too.

Thanks again.

FreakForge

PS.. Coming soon, some miniatures conversions of this religious guys! So, check the P&T forum for news about it...

tzeentchgiant
13-03-2006, 23:11
May I be the first to say welcome to warseer.

Nice to have such talent on board :) (no pun intended :p).

TG

FreakForge
14-03-2006, 15:57
May I be the first to say welcome to warseer.

Nice to have such talent on board :) (no pun intended :p).

TG

Thank you , Chaos Dude !:D

FreakForge

Anvils Hammer
14-03-2006, 17:29
Im liking this comic alot, great style and art work.

my one gripe, and its a fairly major gripe, is that the writting under each picture is very very difficult to read.
I know "ariel" doestn look very gothic, but its so much easier on the eyes.

Other than that, great! more please!

tzeentchgiant
14-03-2006, 17:30
I actually love the writing, it wouldn't be the same if it was changed (stating the obvious, but I hope you understand my feeling on the matter :p).

TG

Aerion the Faithful
14-03-2006, 20:17
my one gripe, and its a fairly major gripe, is that the writting under each picture is very very difficult to read.
I know "ariel" doestn look very gothic, but its so much easier on the eyes.

Hey, AnvilsHammer, all suggestions are taken into consideration. After all, we are trying to please you: the readers. I'll check on the font type, but probably we'll stick with this one, because is the one that adjusts the best to my style, and the 'feel' we wanted for the story. But maybe it's a matter of size, so i'll see what i can do...

Thanks again

Aerion the Faithful

tzeentchgiant
14-03-2006, 23:52
BTW, incase I forgot to mention it (which I did), I've sigged this :). The "w" of will, so you know :).

Have fun.

TG

Verm1s
15-03-2006, 00:42
Nice work! Excellent style and good layout. Personally I don't see Bruce Timm in it (though I do see it), as much as Mike Krahulik (www.penny-arcade.com) and by extension, Stephen Silver (http://www.silvertoons.com/silvertoons/portfolio_indiv.asp?img=08.jpg)*.
Looking forward to more!

I still don't think it fully suits 40K though. ;)

*You know how hard it was to find that name? Search for Kim Possible and you can come up with all sorts of names, from executive producers to the blonde voice actors to the bluddy cleaning woman in the korean studios. But you have to do some serious rooting to find one little mention in passing of the guy who drew the thing.

Ivan Stupidor
15-03-2006, 01:14
BTW, incase I forgot to mention it (which I did), I've sigged this :). The "w" of will, so you know :).

Have fun.

TG

I must ask, though: did you actually mean to have the link point to your own post, or to the beginning of the thread?

Ahem. On the subject of the comic: very well done. Please continue.

Aerion the Faithful
15-03-2006, 04:19
Hey, folks... here i am again to check up on the latest comments. So, to them:

BTW, in case I forgot to mention it (which I did), I've sigged this . The "w" of will, so you know.

Thank you, TzeentchGiant, it's an honor. :)

I still don't think it fully suits 40K though.

First of all, Verm1s, thanks for the links! Those are two artists i'd come to hear about and see a little, but not fully know until this.
About my style fitting or not W40K, well, it's a question of the reader and the viewer of course. There are people who will definitely hate this, and there are others who will see the opportunity of a fresh take on their favourite characters. Either way, the choice is yours and i apprecciate the fact that you took the time to comment on my work (and found those dodgy links!) :)

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

tzeentchgiant
15-03-2006, 12:37
Ivan Stupidor: My bad, correcting it now :).

TG

de Selby
15-03-2006, 18:52
As for style, I like the fact that the world of 40k can be represented by a variety of drawing styles, as in the RT rulebook. I'm a fan of John Blanche's gothic noodlings, and by extension the 40k 'house style' that has developed around them, but I like to see something different from time to time

TomKamakazi
15-03-2006, 21:18
That's just fantastic work!

I had a look through your photobucket account, I can't say enough about your style! I love it. Please keep us posted when more develops.

Bubble Ghost
17-03-2006, 17:13
Aerion, I've just had a look at your Photobucket account. Like it. You an Oscar Chichoni fan by any chance?;)

17-03-2006, 18:06
I just checked the photobucket account too, and...

Wow. I hadn't realised you were the one who'd drawn that SoB with the screwed up right boobie too! I remember that from some time ago...

Aerion the Faithful
17-03-2006, 23:23
Aerion, I've just had a look at your Photobucket account. Like it. You an Oscar Chichoni fan by any chance?

It shows a lot, don't it? :D

Wow. I hadn't realised you were the one who'd drawn that SoB with the screwed up right boobie too! I remember that from some time ago...

Yep, i'm that guy. Sisters of battle really are my thing, although in that illustration the wounded Sister isn't really wounded in her right boobie, but rather under it (yes, yes, i know, i'm a fanatic! :p )

I'm glad you are all enjoying also the illustrations in my Photobucket account, guys. Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Aerion the Faithful

Aurelien
17-03-2006, 23:27
I just had a look myself, and I *love* what you have done with the sisters. Absolutely beautiful, especially then entering the shrine scene.

C. Langana
18-03-2006, 11:11
I *love* what you have done with the sisters. Absolutely beautiful.
See my first thought was "OMG 40k teh boobs!"
Then i realised that our friend Aerion is lord of artt.
I demand you draw more. Please. Go on.

Would you do commissions? (or better requests?)

18-03-2006, 12:31
I especially like the one with Celestine contemplating her armour, actually (or a mysterious nameless sister contemplating Celestine's armour before slipping in and being possessed by her! Or something).

tzeentchgiant
18-03-2006, 15:42
What are you using to colour them in? Just ordinary felt-tip pens?

TG

Aerion the Faithful
19-03-2006, 16:25
I just had a look myself, and I *love* what you have done with the sisters. Absolutely beautiful, especially then entering the shrine scene.

I especially like the one with Celestine contemplating her armour, actually (or a mysterious nameless sister contemplating Celestine's armour before slipping in and being possessed by her! Or something).

Hey Aurelien, Aneutralshadeofblack; the illustration you both liked so much is actually one of my favourites too. It has been called 'epic', when it was reviewed publicly some time ago, and i think i agree with that term. I managed to convey a sense of grandeur to it, that i will find hard to surpass... and the lighting is my special favourite part. And yes, it is Celestine looking upon her holy armour, as told in her story on the WH codex.

What are you using to colour them in? Just ordinary felt-tip pens?

Actually, they're are not ordinary pens, because the finished you get with those can be somewhat 'rude'. I use special artistic tools, or mediums oriented towards artistic use. The pens i use to ink the illustrations are Staedtler and Pizini ones, of various sizes. That and Sharpie markers for the spotted blacks. Then, specifically for colour i use water soluble pencils, that are sort of thicker and softer than other pencils, and also acrylic and oils pastels for the lighting and some blending...

Would you do commissions? (or better requests?)

Check out my signature at the end of this post, mate... ;)

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

Aurelien
19-03-2006, 19:29
Epic...thats a good word. Its the sort of picture I think I would actually be interested in framing and hanging on my wall.

19-03-2006, 20:57
Check out my signature at the end of this post, mate... ;)

Yeah, but see... Are those commissions commissions, where you have to pay, or are they commissions, done because you feel like humouring people. That changes a few things. ;)

Aerion the Faithful
19-03-2006, 22:05
Epic...thats a good word. Its the sort of picture I think I would actually be interested in framing and hanging on my wall.

Well, i do sell copies of it in an extremely good quality... :D

Yeah, but see... Are those commissions commissions, where you have to pay, or are they commissions, done because you feel like humouring people. That changes a few things.

It does change things; but, since i have been a freelance illustrator for a few years now, i always associated commissions as being paid pieces of art, based upon the special needs/desires/ideas of the customer. So, yes, i meant paid commissions on my signature (i actually live out of this job :D ).

Thanks for the interest guys; and you know, if you want to ask me something else about commissioned work or copies, just reach me on my private e-mail.

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

TheSonOfAbbadon
19-03-2006, 23:54
So Aerion, we've been waiting 9 days, when's the next awesome installment?

Aerion the Faithful
20-03-2006, 03:56
So Aerion, we've been waiting 9 days, when's the next awesome installment?

Soon, mate, soon. You just have to wait a little while longer; as i stated in the opening of the thread, FreakForge and i had left this behind to concentrate on other affairs. But the huge welcome here on Warseer, made us want to go along with it; if you must know, the next chapter is already drawn and ready for the inking proccess, so, patience... ;)

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

malika
20-03-2006, 09:30
Whaha in the short time that you guys have been here you have turned into celebrities :D

Rabid Bunny 666
21-03-2006, 10:14
but he was a legend on B'N'C beforehand ;)

Darkseer
21-03-2006, 10:25
Where did you get the funky text fonts from?

Aerion the Faithful
21-03-2006, 12:15
Whaha in the short time that you guys have been here you have turned into celebrities

But he was a legend on B'N'C beforehand

:D That's all i have to say to this guys... i think 'legend' is too much (but i won't say i don't like it).

Where did you get the funky text fonts from?

Actually, the text fonts are drawn specially by me on the whole comic (at least as far as dialogue balloons go). The font used for the 'off' text is called 'Anastasia' and i believe it can be found on the net...

Thanks again for the praise!

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

Darkseer
21-03-2006, 12:20
I like Anastasia :)

Is there a site that doesn't charge me for downloading fonts?
The only ones I can find want my money :(

Flame of Udun
21-03-2006, 12:59
Try www.dafont.com for loads of free and shareware fonts

Darkseer
21-03-2006, 15:52
cheers dood

Lord_Crull
25-03-2006, 14:10
BTW your work is VERY good.

WLBjork
26-03-2006, 13:34
Wow. First time ever I've needed to rate a thread.

keep up the great work!

Malchek
27-03-2006, 13:23
Aerion the faithful;

ok, *gulp* I'm gonna do something which will probably shorten my lifespan cos everyone knows where I live ;)

I don't like alot of the stuff I've seen - for my taste it's too cartoony (don't jump down my throat if that's what u like fair enough just my personal opinion!)

However, when I looked at your link I saw some great stuff - I even noted the names - Leonis Proeliatoris, Aequo Anima, Semper Fidelis and the Hangning Garden. Sanctum I've even put down excellent next to!!!

Now you know as well as I do that cartoon style anime' etc have a great following and if this is your love then go for it and please ignore me completely.

But I reckon you're on the verge of making the transition to a 'serious' *ducks as shots ring out* artist. I know you're a freelancer and I'm not making a judgement as I'm a science-fiction writer and people say only literary fiction is 'serious' fiction but hopefully u know what I mean - I mean within our genre itself)

Your shading, lighting and composition are all excellent - and I don't use that word lightly.

However, with the current style you favour you're only going to be able to sell work to comics because it is done in a comic style.

You could make it big if you tighten up your realism - give me a realistic face and more realism (I hope you know what I mean when I say realism - I know WH isn't realistic but your rendition of it should and could be) in the details and you could go so far.

Give me the realism of Boris for WH or sci-fi settings and u could hit the big time. If I could see something like that executed well I'd get my agent to insist on using you.

As far as I'm concerned you need to listen to what these guys tell you and enjoy the praise but I'd really like to see you take the next step - if you want to.

As far as Rusted is concerned - having seen your other work you could do alot better - the writing and the storyline - no offence to the writer *ducks again as a heavy machine gun opens up* but its terrible and could be much much better. If you nailed the setting (come on man dark, moody, inherently threatening, gothic - what u produced was whimsical) and got a good story line to work with you'd be flying with publishable material that would sell because 99% of the people posting here love the work you've done already (just hasten to think of those like myself who wouldn't have posted cos they didn't like it and didn't see ur other work.)

You nail your style, get a good writer with a good storyline and I'd be confident we'd be seeing u in WD every month with your own strip (and with realism comes stand alone peices for GW)

Private message me if u want to talk in private.

Hope I've helped

Regards

Malchek ;)

my_name_is_tudor
27-03-2006, 14:07
The thing is Malchek, (speaking as an aspiring illustrator here), that you can't draw cartoony faces - not dynamic ones such as these, unless you can draw 'realistically' anyway. I can draw pretty realistic looking faces and the like, but I can't move into the cartoonish area just yet, because I'm not as good at realism as I need to be. It's easy to assume that drawing cartoons is a step 'below', or before Realism, but it honestly isn't.

In fact, 'hitting the bigtime' has nothing to do with realism. Most of the most successful comic book artists out there don't shoot for realism, they go for their own personal style. Its style that counts, through and through.

I think that if Aerion went into doing 'realistic' works, he would have much less chance of 'hitting the bigtime', because his works would become normal. And normal just isn't good enough for comic art.

When was the last time you saw a regular comic strip in a magazine (or wherever) with 'realistic' characters?

Malchek
27-03-2006, 14:18
GW style has moved over the past decade from cartoon to realistic - you will never see a GW cartoony illustration its all high quality realism work.

The guy is obviuosly talented - I'm not saying he isn't and if he wants to draw cartoons that's up to him and u can obviously hit the big time as a cartoon illustrator.

But as I said, I think this guy is on the verge of being good - if he can do realism then show it to me because I've only seen glimpses of it in the work I've seen.

I'm sorry but I don't buy that he can do good realism now - that's why he shies away from it otherwise he'd do it - he's more than welcome to prove me wrong of course ;)

If he could do good realism he'd be gracing the pages of WD, dexes and rulebooks as we speak....

Good realism isn't normal - its exceptional - any kid who's done an art course can churn out comic style pictures to a quality matching the majority of this guys work - what ur getting confused with here is that I'm not talking about cartoons - I'm talking about serious art in the genre this guy likes thats my opinion - if he wants to do cartoons fair enough - but he's good enough to do proper *sniggers* art.

Have u seen Northern Mikes work on warseer...? He's good and it's not cartoony - I can see GW buying his work they will never buy this guys work unless he tightens up his realism - I'm sure he'll know what I mean...

Grenade in the hold!!!!

;)

Flame of Udun
27-03-2006, 17:54
Malchek, have you ever considered the possibility that he isn't trying to sell this stuff to GW or that you are too blinkered to see beyond GW styling. To put his work down as something any anime kid could do is to is like saying to some fantastic artists such as Mike Mignola, Francisco Herrera, Humberto Ramos, Goseki Kojima or even Masamune Shirow that they should just quit because they aren't drawing realistic stuff and they should go and work in a box factory. This all boils down to preference, for me I like Aerion's style, it shows that there is more than just GW style stuff being churned out, but I also like art from such luminal SF artists as Todd Lockwood, Jim Burns, Bob Eggleton, Wayne Barlowe and many more but I also like comic art aswell but for different reasons. Fair enough this isn't your thing and thats fair enough but that is no reason to demean the guy's art work because it doesnit suit you.

Remember, art can be exceptional no matter what form it takes (except that stuff from Damien Hurst, thats just crap)!

Cpt_Tiberius
27-03-2006, 18:15
First off I want to say that I understand what your saying Malchek, but I would have to disagree to a point. I see what you are saying about GW's shift to realistic artwork and that it will be harder for him to get work from them. However I don't believe it is totally out of the question, but it will be more difficult.

I also agree that he can still improve. I am a huge fan of his work, but I also think there is room for improvement. Not so much in style, but more in materials. He really needs to move away from the watercolor pencils. While he uses them well they are to rough for illustration work (though for concept work they are fine). I think I remember him saying he was not a fan of digital coloring, which is fine, but he might dry watercolors or acrylics as an option. What he really needs to ditch is the sharpies. Sharpies are not truly black and so your tones are weakened as a result. I suggest switching to India ink for a higher quality finish.

As to FF's writing, I have to honestly say it's better than most of the GW comics writing I've read. Does he have room to improve...sure, but that's no reason to ditch him.

So I'm not saying your wrong...but you are. :P

Seriously though, you have many good points, I just disagree with some of your points.

Oh and one more thing... Never mention Boris and GOOD sci-fi art in the same breath...ever. That guy is a no talent @ss clown.

Aerion the Faithful
27-03-2006, 18:19
Hey, everyone...
Well, what to say? Malchek, mate, you have really started something, haven't you? But don't worry, the shooting you hear is only on your head, and there it will stay.
To tell you the truth, i have had this discussion over a thousand times and i've heard arguments exactly like yours come my way. So, i know exactly what you mena by your words and they don't upset me at all. Obviously i must agree with my friend Tudor in the fact the you a re a little bit confused about 'art' and 'comics' and the varying styles between these too. People tend to have this misconception that all 'serious art' has to come in a serious realistic style, if not, it's just the easy way; and most of the time, they are quite mistaken. I'm an art student and lover, and i can tell you right now that 'realism' in 'fine art' has left big time since Picasso made his first cubist painting. Then we got Dalí, and a miriad of others great artists that just didn't go for realism, because what you have to understand (and very people can) is that art is not 'realism'. Art is a representation of what we see and how we see it. If you want realism, go for photography and you'll find it all the way.
To do the style i do, is very, very tricky, and (as Tudor said) people always believe it one step below. But the fact is (and i reccommend you read 'Understanding comics' by Scott McLoud, that talks about this issue) that drawing this much more 'clean' style is very difficult because you only have a few lines to delineate a figure; there's no mistaken in this style, there's no 'covering up' or tricking the eye with rendering and shadow plays: if you missed the right line, you dead. And it SHOWS. When you see the faces that i draw, how many lines are they composed of? 8? 9? maybe less even, but they convey a feeling and sensation to you, if not, they wouldn't have even caught your eye. And that's what tends to happen to many 'realistic' artists, they are just passed by...
On the subject of GW buying my art or not, well, let me explain my point of view: i have seen NorthernMike's illustrations and they are excellent. I wish he'd produce more ;) . But the fact is that there are millions of guys sending submissions (even as we speak) to BL asking for a position; and they all churn out the same style, trying to fit what they saw, because '40K must be done realistically' **music of The Wall sounds in the background**, and the fact is that you are not going to impress anybody doing the same that has been done for years. maybe i have not a shot aither in GW, but the fact is that my art will stand out from the rest.
Here you have it proven: this post has 10 pages of good reviews, and enthusiasm, and over 4000 views. That's what tells you that people enjoy a fresh look on things than the same ol', deal, even if it is done with a greater skill than mine.

But as I said, I think this guy is on the verge of being good - if he can do realism then show it to me because I've only seen glimpses of it in the work I've seen.
I'm sorry but I don't buy that he can do good realism now - that's why he shies away from it otherwise he'd do it - he's more than welcome to prove me wrong of course

This is a bit of a poor argument, and i hope you don't take this wrong; but the fact is that just because someone doesn't like to do certain things, doesn't mean he can't. I assisted to a very severe 'old fashioned' art school, were i would sit all day drawing still life and live models for anatomy work. I can do realism, but i don't 'shy away from it', it just doesn't suit my vision and the things i want to say with my art. It's like asking Vassily Kandinsky to do a realistic portrait just to porve he's good at it, and not some failed guy who goes around drawing lines and circles. The bottom line to know if an artist is good is on the execution of the techniques he uses and how well he balances all the aspects that make a good painting. Style, comes and goes.
About 'Rusted', well, what i can say is that i believe it to be one of the most balanced works of comic i've done in quite some time. I have really enjoyed the proccess of making it, and others have to. I think it is true to the warhammer 40K universe, and it shows a different view than we are accustomed; Space Marines aren't great soldiers full of honour here, and the Imperium is more of a fascist dictatorship. Regarding the script, i believe that with 8 pages you can hardly say you've tested the whole story. So, i recommend you to wait for a few issues more, to give an opinion.

Finally (and to stop this ranting) i'd like to say that i always tried to go for originality in everything i put my mind to: wether it be art, life or miniature gaming. And originality (although everyone encourages it) is frowned upon once it's actually there. Because human nature tends to dislike that wich is new or strange, no matter what they say about it. Picasso was almost murdered for doing cubism, they said that Pollock was just a guy throwing paint on canvas at leisure, or that Van Gogh was just a madman. And i'm sure that Bruce Timm, or Humberto Ramos had to deal with this too in the commercial field. Do you think that George Lucas would've contracted Genndy Tartakovsky to do the 'Clone wars' (one of the most important parts for understanding the Star Wars trilogy) if he'd just showed him the same ol' style he was used to?

Anyway, i'm not offended at all, Malchek, and i wish that this explanation sheds a little light on some things.

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

Flame of Udun
27-03-2006, 19:14
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Aerion, that is beautifully said, mate! (imagines Aerion striding through a hailstorm of bullets, comes out unscathed with his armour polished and shining like the dawn!)

Aurelien
27-03-2006, 20:05
Well said Aerion!

Where the next installment! ;)

Malchek
27-03-2006, 20:24
Flame of Udun I'm not trying to shoot the poor fellow down so enough already...

Aerion, I understand your opinion and I know your arguments are valid. My own world of writing is exactly the same and if someone levelled the same accusations at me I would take the exact stance you're taking.

As I said previously, if cartoony stuff is what you love and enjoy doing - who am I to contradict that...? Keep on doing what you're doing, have a very nice life and maybe one day I'll see a peice of your art as a comic somewhere - nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

However, some of your work is on the borderline between the two styles and I personally prefer the less cartoony peices you've done - I'm as entitled to that opinion as you are to yours.

So what we are left with, is two reasonable people having a difference of opinion and taste.

Where I do have to pick you up however, is in what I know. I don't care what the majority of people have said in this thread many more have looked at your combined work and passed on bye without a comment.... why?

Because its not good. Rusted is very poor and I wouldn't give it the time of day. Writing is my area of expertise and it wouldn't get a look-in at any publisher with professional standards. The storyline is confused, immature and does not suspend the reader's disbelief. Your take on the GW universe is, as I said earlier, whimsical and missing the best, most emotive parts of the whole background.

And as for your particular part in the artwork, compared to some of the excellent work I've seen you have produced - I personally wouldn't give it the time of day, nor would I consider it of publishable quality - which is well within your reach.

I'm not an expert on art history and I can't enter into a discussion with you about it. It is a matter of taste and opinion - to a certain point but on this I know what I'm talking about and I think I'm right ;)

As I also said previously, I'm trying to be helpful as the majority of people who don't like your work haven't given you the time of day to give you their opinion, I thought I would after exploring your work more closely and realising you have real talent.

The best peice of advice I can give you is ditch the guy who was writing for you (or tell him to get his act together) and find someone else (I'm sure there are hundreds of people on warseer who are very good writers if the BL writers forum is anything to go by) and maybe lean towards the style you showed in 'Sanctum' - but that is your own personal artistic decision to make.

And I know it isn't particularly nice to say this of your writing friend but it is true. You can't afford to 'pussy foot' around in this business otherwise you'll wake up one day in your fifties, with a wife, a couple of kids and a mortgage, and wonder what happened to your dreams (no this hasn't happened to me ;)

Hoped to have helped,

Regards

Malchek ;)

Flame of Udun
27-03-2006, 22:28
Malchek,
Hmm so you're not trying to shoot the guy down, well you could have fooled me! Ok I have to say that Rusted isn't my favourite piece of Aerion's work by a long shot but at the end of the day it's fan fiction not a professional piece and as I'm sure you'll understand, being a writer, that everyone has to begin somewhere so why not be constructive in your criticism and provide assistance so that the writing can be improved rather than just telling Aerion to ditch the writer of this piece. At the end of the day this boils down to the fact that you don't like this piece of work but you haven't provided any help in order for Aerion and his writing partner so that they can improve upon their work. I'm sure that you have probably needed assistance with your writing occasionally and no doubt somebody with some experience will have provided some sound critique that will have helped you along the way, so why can't you do the same instead of just ranting about how much you dislike this piece? To be honest if you consider what you have already said to be of a constructive nature then I think you should have a word with your editor about how best to approach the matter.

devolutionary
27-03-2006, 22:40
Where I do have to pick you up however, is in what I know. I don't care what the majority of people have said in this thread many more have looked at your combined work and passed on bye without a comment.... why?

Offensive little man aren't you? I haven't commented because why continuously regurgitate what others have said many times already? It's pointless to post about how great I think this work is. There's too much realism in storytelling these days, and the same in art. It's good to see somebody with something unorthodox trying to get ahead. Granted, the story is a bit confusing at this point, but so was The Watchmen, one of the more critically acclaimed graphic novels ever. Sometimes it works, but you won't know until it's finished.

In short, get over yourself, and just drop it already. As yet you've done nothing helpful or constructive, you've only bashed all the work to date and stated (in your opinion, of course) that it all has to change to meet your oh so lofty standards. Newsflash, nobody really cares. You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but many of us are truly sick of hearing you preach on about it.

FreakForge
27-03-2006, 22:43
Well, well, well, let's see...
First of all, thanks for the comment; I do believe that not everybody has to like this that we have done.
Second of all, I feel that I'm not going with a:

'pussy foot'
Maybe because the background story that i wrote for the 'Create your own Chapter' contest at GW Spain, won and was published in White Dwarf and the spanish GW site; and it only was a 'simple description' about the origins of the Chapter of the 'Iron Souls' (believe me, i'm cooking some bigger things than that). To me, that is a good sign.
About 'Rusted', i only have to say that it is a long story and you have seen merely the Prologue; perhaps you missed the 'to be continued' caption at the bottom of the last page :D . But seriously, i believe what Aerion said is correct: read a little further and maybe you'll be pleaseantly surprised (or not).

There's also another comic that Aerion and i have made (if you follow the link at the Aerion´s signature you will find it); it was called 'Farewell... sister' and was originally posted at the B&C forum. And a short time later translated to french by the people of the Resurrection40k forum, because they wanted to share the comic with that comunnity of french players. So, to me, all that is encouraging.

While we are developing this comic, Aerion and i are working on a graphic novel (100 pages of mature reading) and we are close to signing a contract with a publishing company here at Argentina.

Thanks again but i'm comfortable as it is with my work (and i'm married with children :p ).

FreakForge

Flame of Udun
27-03-2006, 22:54
Hey Freakforge,
just been checking your gallery at deviant and have to say that is some hot stuff man!!! Love your Iron Souls Librarian that is very cool! I feel really tempted to start an Iron Souls army myself now but I may just stick with including one in my Deathwatch squad.

Aerion the Faithful
27-03-2006, 23:28
Hello again...
Hey, FreakForge had to come out of the shadows on this one! :D
But seriously, guys. There's no need to get upset or anything; opinions are opinions, and everyone has the right to speak their mind. So, let's not hit each over about that. However, i'll answer a couple of more things regarding Malchek's last reply...

However, some of your work is on the borderline between the two styles and I personally prefer the less cartoony peices you've done - I'm as entitled to that opinion as you are to yours.
So what we are left with, is two reasonable people having a difference of opinion and taste.

I completely agree, mate.

Your take on the GW universe is, as I said earlier, whimsical and missing the best, most emotive parts of the whole background.
And as for your particular part in the artwork, compared to some of the excellent work I've seen you have produced - I personally wouldn't give it the time of day, nor would I consider it of publishable quality - which is well within your reach.

I repeat you what i said earlier: FreakForge and i love the W40K universe and background (we would't take time from our lives to do tis if we didn't), and we are exploring that further down the road. But a story has to start somewhere, and this Prologue is just that; the beginning. Given time, you'll see that 'epic' taste of 40K more often.
On the subject of the art itself, i have to agree with you that the effort put on my illustrations is obviously different form the one i put on my comic work. But that has to do with the fact that a comic is something you have to do in short periods of time, if you want to meet deadlines and schedules. However, i don't think that my work in this case can be labelled as poor or unpublishable, because everything i try to do things proffesional all the way, no matter what i'm doing.

As I also said previously, I'm trying to be helpful as the majority of people who don't like your work haven't given you the time of day to give you their opinion, I thought I would after exploring your work more closely and realising you have real talent.

I understand your position believe me. And i see that you are a very strightforward guy, but sometimes you have to understand that aproach is a little bit rough if you are not used to it. And i talk from experience; people can (and will) only stick to the tone of your sayings and miss the constructive parts.
So, my last opinion over this is: you have every right to say anything you like. Just mind your tone a little bit, because not everyone will like it. I aprecciate your taking the time to analize our work, and be sure that we will consider your comments with the respect it deserves.

Well said Aerion!
Where the next installment!

A little further down the road, i'm afraid. But fret not! It will come...

It's been a busy day, so i'm off to my drawing table at once! Thanks again to all.

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

Malchek
28-03-2006, 00:20
Offensive little man aren't you? I haven't commented because why continuously regurgitate what others have said many times already? It's pointless to post about how great I think this work is. There's too much realism in storytelling these days, and the same in art. It's good to see somebody with something unorthodox trying to get ahead. Granted, the story is a bit confusing at this point, but so was The Watchmen, one of the more critically acclaimed graphic novels ever. Sometimes it works, but you won't know until it's finished.

In short, get over yourself, and just drop it already. As yet you've done nothing helpful or constructive, you've only bashed all the work to date and stated (in your opinion, of course) that it all has to change to meet your oh so lofty standards. Newsflash, nobody really cares. You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but many of us are truly sick of hearing you preach on about it.

Your ignorance astounds me.

Malchek
28-03-2006, 00:27
As for you Aerion,

one last peice of advice and I'll take my leave never to return (don't cheer all at once) If I can leave you with any advice this is the best anyone could ever give you.

Toughen up.

At the beginning of your thread you stated you were very happy to receive any comments whatsoever. You've had good and accepted them eagerly.

Now you've had bad and you're worried about the tone or how blunt it is...?

That's the real world my friend, the one you will confront if and when you get something published and when an editor tells you something is crap and not worth pis!?*! on if its on fire then you cant say to them 'oh come on take it easy on me I'm an artist be nice'

Get used to it.

If I've helped in just that small way - then so be it - your skin may be a little thicker for the rejections you get in this game (and there's plenty of them especially when you start out)

And don't forget, I said some of your work was excellent, praise of that order may trip of some people's tongues very easily - but hard task masters like myself rarely give out such praise - just a little something to think about.

Regards and all the best to you and your wonderful friend who writes for GW...

;) I'll leave you in peace for eternity now ;)

Malchek

Flame of Udun
28-03-2006, 01:06
Not wanting to speak over Aerion but there is a difference between saying you dislike something but providing contructive critique (which in it's own way is positive feedback) and just being negative. It's not a matter of toughening up because from what I can see Aerion has accepted your opinion and especially since you haven't been very contructive in your posts. Anyway, nuff said.

Aerion the Faithful
28-03-2006, 01:22
At the beginning of your thread you stated you were very happy to receive any comments whatsoever. You've had good and accepted them eagerly.

Again, mate; i never said that your critique was 'blunt'. I never disregarded you or showed any sign of nothing but respect for you, despite the tone, wich again i reccomend you take a look at. I've been about 7 years doing this, and the last 5, i've spent going to interviews with various publishers. On some i left with a little hope, on others i hit the jackpot; on most i got rejected, either because i wasn't good enough, or just not the man for the job. But the editors i've run into have actually been nice, wether their citricsism was good or bad. Maybe you've had more tough experiences, or maybe the 'written word' world is harder. But i've never had anyone telling me 'you art is a piece of s**t! Get the f**ck out of here!'. I know how this works, and if you are not respectful, you wind up nowhere.

That's the real world my friend, the one you will confront if and when you get something published and when an editor tells you something is crap and not worth pis!?*! on if its on fire then you cant say to them 'oh come on take it easy on me I'm an artist be nice'

I wouldn't say that. I would say 'oh, come on, take it easy on me, i'm a person'. Because nobody likes being yelled at. And despite it being the way the world (sadly) works it doesn't mean that it's right. So, my advice for you is: don't confront the world with an attitude, because the world will answer back, and you'll always find yourself poked at.

And don't forget, I said some of your work was excellent, praise of that order may trip of some people's tongues very easily - but hard task masters like myself rarely give out such praise - just a little something to think about.

I have thanked you before on my last posts. But here you go again, so i'll say it again: Thank you for taking such a long time to debate over my work. I really aprecciate it.

I'll leave you in peace for eternity now

It's a shame, really, that someone has to walk away like this. But i hope that, given time, you can come back and continue this debate wherever it may lead us. Take care, mate.

Anyway, nuff said.

I agree, completely.

Thank you all for reading and soon you'll be seeing more of 'Rusted'.

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

MIGHTYPanhead
28-03-2006, 01:41
said it before and I'll say it again: It's an interesting style, some things don't "click" with me. (could go into detail, but it wouldn't do much to further the style you've chosen)

But: I respect the technical skill involved, and the stories are an interesting read; Keep up the good work! both aerion and freakforge!

*looking foreward to the next installment :)

my_name_is_tudor
28-03-2006, 16:47
Malchek's argument seems to boil down nicely to "I don't like it, therefore you will fail".

*shrug*

Thoth62
28-03-2006, 18:31
The last few posts have made me decide to stop my lurking here and get involved. I have looked at your art Aerion, and I think it is absolutely incredible. I love the style, and I respect the effort that you put in to it just to make us a little happier here at Warseer. Can't wait for the next installment. Keep up the Great work!!

Lord_Crull
28-03-2006, 20:16
When are you going to post more?

devolutionary
28-03-2006, 21:32
Your ignorance astounds me.

Spoken like a true "patron of the arts".

As for you Aerion,

one last peice of advice and I'll take my leave never to return (don't cheer all at once) If I can leave you with any advice this is the best anyone could ever give you.

Toughen up.

Bluntness I can respect. Down right hostility over simple opinion I can not. Art is not about the status quo, it never has been. It's never been about what you think will get published either. It's about the artists and their desire to make something that they want. You've argued that this entire project is effectively worthless and rubbish based on opinion. Anyone who challenges you or has a different opinion is wrong or ignorant. You've been aggressive, bordering on insulting, and quite frankly I'm happy to see the back of you. You're like a vicious old teacher telling a student that they're gonna fail.

Malchek's argument seems to boil down nicely to "I don't like it, therefore you will fail".

Bingo.

TanithScout
29-03-2006, 04:46
Hey aerion, i was quite a big fan of your work over on the BnC and i just discovered this art section bursting with your art! how wonderful. i must say, you've done something that i feel no one has done yet. What is warhammer 40,000? warhammer 40k is the dark future, the grim realisation that humans will stagnate and the only constant other than the ragged breath of the god emperor is the certainty that you will die. That is dark, that is grim, hence the grim darkness of the blah blah blah. that is, in all its potential, over done and exacerbated to the point of irritating by gw( my personnal opinion.)

aerion, your art, is...light. it is as if it is not drawn but crafted from air. and in doing so, you put light back into the dark future. im attached to these characters because they are different ( props to freak forge for his writing...despite his nay sayers) but simply from a visual perspective. i am drawn in and enthralled. I am feeling the gothic aura of the 41st millenium, but im feeling more. im feeling what lies beyond all the dark and spooky rubbish. your style put the human back in the grey 40k unniverse, something that was dearly missing

i commend you aerion, and bug you...i want more!!!!!!!!

great job

take it easy,
Shane

FreakForge
29-03-2006, 15:46
Hey Freakforge,
just been checking your gallery at deviant and have to say that is some hot stuff man!!! Love your Iron Souls Librarian that is very cool! I feel really tempted to start an Iron Souls army myself now but I may just stick with including one in my Deathwatch squad.

Off-topic: (with a sinister voice) JOIN TO THE DARK SIDE , Come ,cooomeee , JOIN TO THE DARK SIDE , little Flame !!! :D

FreakForge

Aerion the Faithful
29-03-2006, 18:20
Fellow Brothers...
I would like to take a moment to thank you (as if i hadn't before), for your continued support to this project called 'Rusted'. I'm really honoured to have such a keen and interested audience, that respects and enjoys every page of the work we've done. And yet still, with the same respect, encourage us to improve our weak points, and give us constructive criticsism when needed. The tremendous response we've had, makes us want to go for more, and prepare even more projects, always raising the standard a step further.
We have been very lucky to find a place amongst you, brothers; and we hope to never let you down...

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

PS.. Keep your eyes open: soon, we'll have more material concerning the Iron Souls...;)

calebh124
06-04-2006, 00:35
Hey are we ever going to see anymore of "Rusted" or has it died and gone to purgatiory?

Aerion the Faithful
06-04-2006, 01:49
Hey are we ever going to see anymore of "Rusted" or has it died and gone to purgatiory?

Hey there... no, actually 'Rusted' hasn't died and gone nowhere. It's just being prepared for a HUGE comeback very soon. Just keep track of my posts and you'll get news on it. What i can tell you now is that next week you're going to be surprised with Iron Souls' material... but i can't say more or i'll get assasinated...

Thanks for the concern.

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

NorthernMike
06-04-2006, 08:01
I just came back to this thread because I was looking for a few more pages only to dive into a bit of a "thing". I even seemed to be dragged into it regretably. Sad really, I have been put into arguments on both sides as being "something realistic" and "something everybody does" (not exact quotes but summeries). Truth is, people don't even know what I do or have seen hardly any of my work here. And I have done both cartoony (see that Praetorian/ork thing i did - much closer to Aerion's stuff than real) and more figure study style/semi-realistic (AnvHam's contest).

I just wanted to say that I am not really any of these "examples" and that I would have rather been not used as such examples. I know both of these guys meant no offence, but I just wanted to say that.

In truth, you will never please everyone. No one likes all forms of art. Your color work is the weakest part of what you do (my opinion), but that is not a bad thing. And that doesn't mean your colors are bad, just that I believe it is a place for "more" improvment than the rest (remember you always want to improve!). Your lines are fantastic, as are your layouts, expressions and movements.
This is what I normally do with crits, I generally put peoples advise into 2 separate groups: from other artists/illustrators (similar "education"); and those who don't have art experience. Now both of these are just as valuable. If you just listen to artists you will die with nothing and become sought after later, and if you just listen to the other, you will become Todd McFarline or someone else who is more business that artist. You need a healthy mix, but just a grain of salt from each. I generally try to take all crits seriously, but not whole heartedly. I try to maintain my own personallity in all the changes I do, and if you never take in advise you won't ever become successful.

My first job, my director was so hard and critical of every single drawing I did. At the time I really hated it, but have come to realize it was most of the reason why I am where I am today - which is further ahead. He taught me that you have to have a personal investment in what you create or it will be lifeless. But more important afterwards, to separate that bond of being a personal work so you can really take crits properly. That will allow you to improve it next time, and if you are anything like me you generally look back on work, even a few months old and know that you can do way better now. Some of the new guys and girls come into where I work now and can't take any advise or crits without getting really defensive. Defensive is bad, these people don't improve nearly as fast as others, if at all. People don't like to work with defensive artists and so doesn't equal much success for them. Not that you are defensive, just a heads up.

Oh, and just about that "style" thing you have, I would stick with it. The evedence is here:
http://characterdesign.blogspot.com/

Almost every interview you read, of these top illustrators, will tell you to stick with your style, because it is what defines you. Trying other styles and roots in real life will only make your style stronger, because you will take what you like from them and add to your own.

All in all, keep it up! You are fantastic, or more my favorite word - Rad.
Please forgive my verbal diarrhea, it is sometimes quite explosive and as usual unpredictable.

And above all, please take this all with a grain of salt.

mike (eagerly still waiting the next installment!!!)

ps. Please excuse my alitardation, with which I am severly struck with.

bazazatron
06-04-2006, 09:17

hello Aerion long time no see :)

usually i wouldn't get involved with this sort of furor but i felt i should say something here, this work is easily publishable, as i work in the comics industry ( god rest it's soul) i see ALOT of peoples work and i have to say tihs is of a higher standard than you usually see i could go into a massive diatribe here but im nursing a vicious hang over so this'l do. huk!

Aerion the Faithful
06-04-2006, 14:09
Hey, NorthernMike... I'm glad you still stop by to check upon the progress of 'Rusted', but (as you probably read), it is due a little time from now.
I read your post with eager attention, and found it rewarding and very well focused. I agree with most of what you've said, and i would like to apologize in i got into 'a racket' that you didn't want to be involved in. It wasn't my intention for you to feel like 'another guy doing the same'. I just mentioned you, and your awesome work, that i like a lot. Of course, put in the context of the post, it might've given that impression, but it wasn't at all the intention.
About a couple of things...

In truth, you will never please everyone. No one likes all forms of art. Your color work is the weakest part of what you do (my opinion), but that is not a bad thing. And that doesn't mean your colors are bad, just that I believe it is a place for "more" improvment than the rest (remember you always want to improve!). Your lines are fantastic, as are your layouts, expressions and movements.

I believe my colours are a weak link also, because i was taught basically in B&W. Later on i determined myself to start coloouring, and have been practicing ever since. I think some things are good, and some are really bad, but as you say, i'm always looking forward for improvement!

I generally try to take all crits seriously, but not whole heartedly. I try to maintain my own personallity in all the changes I do, and if you never take in advise you won't ever become successful.

That's what i do, too. And if you have read my posts, you can see that i responded to everyone with the same attitude: respectul, and really concerned about their opinions. Of course, i won't let myself drive by opinions, because there are a lot of them in a place like this; but i will always consider them.

Defensive is bad, these people don't improve nearly as fast as others, if at all. People don't like to work with defensive artists and so doesn't equal much success for them. Not that you are defensive, just a heads up.

I also had a very hard editor back when i was just a fanboy with superhero dreams. And (though at the time i had it really bad), i can see that he taught me to stretch myself all the time to further limits, and not just stick with what's 'comfortable' or easy. And i can see what you mean about being defensive; but i'm a natural 'discussive' person and i'm used to debating, so you will always find an argument in my mouth. But that doesn't mean at all that i can't take advice. If it's well intended, i will take it, that's for sure.

Oh, and just about that "style" thing you have, I would stick with it. The evedence is here:
http://characterdesign.blogspot.com/

Thanks for that link, mate! It's great and i didn't know about its existence.

All in all, keep it up! You are fantastic, or more my favorite word - Rad.
Please forgive my verbal diarrhea, it is sometimes quite explosive and as usual unpredictable.

You're forgiven:D . I really enjoyed this post NorthernMike; it shows you have experience and know how to deal things respectfully.

Thanks again for taking your time on this.

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

PS.. Bazazatron, mate... long time indeed. But i'm glad to see you here, and thanks for the post!

Pillx
11-04-2006, 23:40
I don't come by the board as often as I used to but FWIW, I like what you've done so far. You're going to run into critics of all kinds out there. Sometimes it's useful sometimes it's crap. It's up to you whether you take it or not but try not to take it poorly even if the delivery is in poor tact.

Mad Makz
12-04-2006, 04:34
Just add to the overall discussion - I like Rusted, I think it works well as a story, and I like the art. I agree with Malchek I don't think it would be worth applying to Black Library or GW to get it published for a very simple reason - it doesn't sit within GW's Art Direction, which certainly does not reflect it's quality, and I am sure that the creators of this piece know this.

However, there are two things that any art director worth their salt will be looking for in an artist.

One is that they have their own style.

The other is that they are versatile.

These two things are not contradictory as some would believe.

If you can create good art in a number of forms then you are a well rounded artist, and you can apply your skills to a number of different commissions/pieces.

If you have a strong sense of style that comes through within your work, if your passion for the subject matter comes through with your work, then someone will be able to look at a piece and immediately pick it out as something special, unique.

As such I have no doubt if Aerion applied himself in certain directions he would be able to create a body of work which GW as a company would be more interested in, which I believe is what Malchek is suggesting - the fault with his suggestions is almost undoubtedly in his view that getting picked up by GW is some sort of major success. It's not, it's just a gig like any other illustrating work, and if you are being professional about things it's probably not even that great a gig unless you are working within the studio (and even then I imagine its more of a lifestyle choice than the smart career choice for a really talented artist outside a select few...)

I certainly wouldn't suggest Aerion to do anything other than what he wants to do, but I would suggest to others who think that he could easily get into the pages of a GW publication to look at their overall art direction and be a bit more realistic about what GW uses, there is a strong overarching art direction for all their work which Rusted doesn't really fit into (however, that doesn't detract from it all as a work!).

Aerion the Faithful
12-04-2006, 17:57
Hey there, everyone...
Taking a short break from the stuff i'm preparing for Warseer, i came by to check upon the Stories&Art forum, and i found a couple of more opinions on 'Ruted' and beyond it. I'm glad that we can debate over my work and what we have presented here, because everything you can say (as the readers and audience) of this story is great, and a lot of help. But, there are some things i'd like to clear up, so...

It's up to you whether you take it or not but try not to take it poorly even if the delivery is in poor tact.

I agree completely, and if you check on my posts, you'll see that this was my aproach the whole time. In fact, i pointed out that just because something is said crudely, it doesn't mean it is not worth of taking into account.

Just add to the overall discussion - I like Rusted, I think it works well as a story, and I like the art. I agree with Malchek I don't think it would be worth applying to Black Library or GW to get it published for a very simple reason - it doesn't sit within GW's Art Direction, which certainly does not reflect it's quality, and I am sure that the creators of this piece know this.

I have to disagree a little with you, Mad Makz, because i believe that even if our work isn't what GW usually produces, it doesn't lack 'quality'. Quality comes in various forms, and just because something gets published by a big corporation doesn't mean that all the other stuff out there is in disputable professionality. Alex Ross (to put an example) was a very qualyfied artist but he couldn't get a gig with the big guns of publishing. And that didn't make his work less professional.
Another thing is that neither of us here actually works for GW (not yet at least) and we are basing everything on assumptions. And just like you believe they wouldn't publish this material, i tend to think that as a consistent enterprise, they are always looking for new developments and ideas, and that their doors are open for any who would come with something original, even if that something is not their 'standard' product.
I do think about applying at BL publishing, just because i want their opinion on this material. I know it won't be easy, (nothing in this world is), but i don't think it's impossible. However it may turn out, one thing is indisputable: YOU, the fans of W40K enjoy reading 'Rusted', and that is a big step forward, because getting to the actual public is one of the hardest things a creator has to face. It is in this particular point that all the editors will stop to consider if a work is worth of coming out or not.

I thank you all for keeping this thread alive, and with such an intelligent debate. 'Rusted' will continue as planned, very soon. And keep your eyes open, because this week, the Iron Souls will visit Warseer again ;) ...

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

Warboss Garfang
12-04-2006, 23:56
I don't believe Mad Makz was implying (or saying) that your work lacked quality-just the opposite, in fact, if you read his post. He was pointing out that your work doesn't quite fit into the art style that GW goes for, and there I agree with him. While I'm absolutely amazed by your art, I think it's far too cartoony to fit into GW's vision of 40k. Granted, it never hurt to try.

Mad Makz
13-04-2006, 00:46
Yes, I was specifically saying that because just because your work doesn't fit within the art direction of the GW universe DOESN'T impact upon it's quality, only on the likelihood of it being picked up by GW.

The quality is high, the likelihood of GW publishing it in any official publication is very low, only because it doesn't fit with their art direction.

To reiterate, I am not saying that your work doesn't reflect the quality of GW's work (I am really unsure as to how you could compare, as there is so much GW artwork out there that it would be impossible to make such a sweeping statement).

I am saying that just because your artwork in this instance doesn't fit in with GW's art direction says absolutely nothing about the quality of the work (which can, and has been by and large, be judged on it's own merits, which in my opinion are considerable), but it does make it foolish for people to suggest that you try and get GW to publish it, as it's not a fit.

Incidentally, while I do not work for GW, I have a friend who is an illustrator who has had work commissioned by GW, and so have had some pretty insightful discussions regarding the nature of how they commission their work.

Flame of Udun
13-04-2006, 12:45
Woo Hoo! More work on the Souls!!! Looking forward to that, Aerion, mate!

Personally I am pleased that there are artists out there who are takinga different look at 40K and WFB. After seeing some of the absolute pap that turned up in the Horus Heresy Books, I wonder why GW even bothered to commision those artists.

@ Mad Makz, who is this illustrator friend of yours?

Thunderer
15-04-2006, 15:04
Those are some very well done comics. Nice abstract style, colors are great but not overpowering. Very dark and gritty.

Mad Makz
17-04-2006, 04:36
Woo Hoo! More work on the Souls!!! Looking forward to that, Aerion, mate!

Personally I am pleased that there are artists out there who are takinga different look at 40K and WFB. After seeing some of the absolute pap that turned up in the Horus Heresy Books, I wonder why GW even bothered to commision those artists.

@ Mad Makz, who is this illustrator friend of yours?

A lot of the Horus Heresy artwork wasn't commissioned by Games Workshop, it was commissioned by Sabertooth Games for their Horus Heresy card game (so while a company under the GW Corporation, not part of GW studio) Due to the amount of artwork Sabretooth has to produce for it's games, tighter timeframes in which to produce this artwork (lead in time for CCG cards generally being much lower than for TTG books) and (I imagine) the relatively low commission rates that each piece would get (compared to something that's being specifically commissioned for a major GW sourcebook) their quality is likely to be more variable.

The illustrator friend of mine is a guy by the name of Christian Schwager.

You probably haven't seen his artwork in any GW publication, as I believe his work was commissioned mainly for Battlefleet Gothic and Epic Armageddon for specialist games and may not in fact have been used as I do not know whether the publication did or did not go to print or whether they actually ended up using his work or not (he got paid for it either way.). You can find some samples of his varied work on his wbesite here.

http://www.solitudo.com/

gregarious90
17-04-2006, 16:35
Absolutely love the artwork. I am an artist myself and find your work to be of excellent quality. People will love your work or they will hate your work. But, in the end just keep doing what brings you satisfaction!

I am very eager to see how this story will unfold, you have a good writer on your side, just watch out for some spelling errors that I have seen, only a couple so don't seat it.

The only question I have for both of you is how do you get away with drawing licensed GW material and not have them come down on you with copyright lawyers and the such? I thought it was a no no to draw licensed material?
I know that you aren't making money off of it, so maybe that is why they are leaving you alone?

Well, that's it for now.

Keep up the great work, you never know GW could pick you up, remember popularity can sell lots of books for them and I don't think they will pass up cash!

Later,

G.

:D

Stormwarningz
17-04-2006, 18:59
Too cool keep it up.

Flame of Udun
17-04-2006, 19:46
A lot of the Horus Heresy artwork wasn't commissioned by Games Workshop, it was commissioned by Sabertooth Games for their Horus Heresy card game (so while a company under the GW Corporation, not part of GW studio)
Ahhhh, that explains a LOT!

The illustrator friend of mine is a guy by the name of Christian Schwager.

You probably haven't seen his artwork in any GW publication, as I believe his work was commissioned mainly for Battlefleet Gothic and Epic Armageddon for specialist games and may not in fact have been used as I do not know whether the publication did or did not go to print or whether they actually ended up using his work or not (he got paid for it either way.). You can find some samples of his varied work on his wbesite here.

http://www.solitudo.com/

Wow, thats some very cool stuff your friend has done, I don't think I have seen any of it before, such a shame though as it's really excellent stuff!

DaGork
21-04-2006, 20:12
I love your style man, it seems almost stained-glass window-like to me. I do have the concern about whether or not the style will fit with aliens.

I am personally not a fan of how you illistrated the necrons in Rusted. To me they seem too much like a human could have built them. I've always thought that they should look more organic, with as little evidence of how they were constructed.

To me, the necrons should look very smooth. Not in the same whay as Eldar, but in the same way as a rock that is at the bottom of the ocean and has been erroded.

Marshal Draziel
29-04-2006, 23:00
The only question I have for both of you is how do you get away with drawing licensed GW material and not have them come down on you with copyright lawyers and the such? I thought it was a no no to draw licensed material?
I know that you aren't making money off of it, so maybe that is why they are leaving you alone?

GW's IP cannot restrict you from making your art, as long as you state who the original owner is (ie. just put a small note, saying GW copyright)

I've done hundreds of drawings, mainly with 40k in mind, and I've never worried about GW's IP... And nor shall I do so in the future..

off course - if it was published and made into a money mashine, GW would come stomping at ya'...