PDA

View Full Version : Returning player needs a bit of help.

Draconian77
19-10-2010, 09:14
To cut a long story short my group has started playing WHFB again (hurrah) and we played our first game on a long time this weekend (mini-hurrah). However, we did come across quite a few rules questions which we couldn't find the immediate answers to. Any help would be much appreciated fellow Warseerites! :)

So then;

If I cast Spirit Leech (Death Magic, pg499) on a Monster and Handler unit (eg: Hellcannon) and target the Hellcannon, does my opponent use the Hellcannons Leadership or the Handlers Leadership? Can he use the Generals Ld if it is within range?

Likewise, if I cast Spirit Leech on a Great Cannon, does it just sort of explode, is it immune or do we use the crews Leadership? If it does "just sort of explode" do I roll a dice for Life Leech per wound that it had prior to disintegrating?

If I wound a M&H unit with a "Multiple Wound" weapon, do I multiply the wounds before or after determining who (what...) in the unit is actually it?

Ok, assuming that I give the Banner of Hag Graef to some Cold One Knights, do both the riders and the mounts gain Always Strikes First or do only the riders benefit?

Same question but replace Always Strikes First with Flaming Attacks and Armour Piercing. (Banner of Eternal Flame and Banner of Murder respectively.)

If a Dark Elf Sorceress miscasts in the same turn in which she uses a Focus Familiar, do you place any Blast/Large Blast markers over the Sorceress or the Focus Familiar marker?

I am sure that there are more but for the life of me I can't remember them. I anticipate a similar post being made in a week or two I'm afraid... :o

Lord_Elric
19-10-2010, 10:09
If a Dark Elf Sorceress miscasts in the same turn in which she uses a Focus Familiar, do you place any Blast/Large Blast markers over the Sorceress or the Focus Familiar marker?

the miscast goes on the sorceress the familliar is used for line of sight purposes only.

If I wound a M&H unit with a "Multiple Wound" weapon, do I multiply the wounds before or after determining who (what...) in the unit is actually it?

multiple wounds are only rolled for after a target has failed all its saves

as far as the spiritleech questions for the cannon you would use the crew leadrship as both cannon and crew now form a single model essentialy. as with monster and handlers id guess you would use the monster LD

as it states the models ld

Draconian77
19-10-2010, 10:20

multiple wounds are only rolled for after a target has failed all its saves

I don't think putting the wounds on the Handlers is a save though, so do you roll to see where the unsaved wound goes before or after multiplying it?

Thanks for the other responses though. Should make the next batch of games go a little smoother to say the least.

Lord_Elric
19-10-2010, 11:31
Well the Multiple wounds would be rolled only for wounds on the monsters then as its considered that the entire hit hits the handlers multiple wounds rule represents a particuarly nasty wound. Multiple wounds (d3 or D6) are generaly the last thing that is rolled on a hit tho not having the brb with me i cant quoye anythin from the book that might make it clear sorry.

Synnister
19-10-2010, 17:42
If I cast Spirit Leech (Death Magic, pg499) on a Monster and Handler unit (eg: Hellcannon) and target the Hellcannon, does my opponent use the Hellcannons Leadership or the Handlers Leadership? Can he use the Generals Ld if it is within range?

The M&H rules are pretty murky right now. Best solution is to talk amongst your group and find a ruling that everyone can accept.

Likewise, if I cast Spirit Leech on a Great Cannon, does it just sort of explode, is it immune or do we use the crews Leadership? If it does "just sort of explode" do I roll a dice for Life Leech per wound that it had prior to disintegrating?

For Warmachines you use the crew's LD per pg. 108. You'd roll 1d6 for each unsaved wound for life leech.

I'm assuming you are talking about shooting a M&H unit, in which case you have to randomize the hit. Then you roll to wound against what was hit (either crew or monster). Then roll the save. If there is an unsaved wound that is going on a multi wound target then you can roll the multiple wounds.

Ok, assuming that I give the Banner of Hag Graef to some Cold One Knights, do both the riders and the mounts gain Always Strikes First or do only the riders benefit?

Same question but replace Always Strikes First with Flaming Attacks and Armour Piercing. (Banner of Eternal Flame and Banner of Murder respectively.)

For these I would talk it over with your group again. There is plenty of discussion on both sides about banners and cavalry that GW really needs to FAQ them in my opinion.

You'd center the marker over the wizard.

Draconian77
20-10-2010, 00:37
Ok, thanks again. Seems like GW hasn't quite got everything sorted out yet... ;):angel:

Tarian
20-10-2010, 00:42
Ok, thanks again. Seems like GW hasn't quite got everything sorted out yet... ;):angel:

Heresy! GW never has any rule abiguities!

*This message brought to you by :wtf:.

theunwantedbeing
20-10-2010, 09:26
Currently on monster & handler units and things like war machines that have a low, or no leadership value the spell is very handy.
A GW errata may fix this but untill then(if it happens at all), it works rather well vs those targets.

The whole model get's it, rider and mount. ASF cold ones for the win!(not that they'll be getting re-rolls against anything beyond trolls or zombies of course...). Same with the other banners, all parts unless specified otherwise.

With the focus familiar the miscast is resolved on the mage, not the familiar. The spells however are all resolved from the familiar. So throwing say...purple sun and getting a misfire on the artillery dice just mean's the template goes over the familiar, not the mage.

Draconian77
20-10-2010, 16:27
Ah, so ASF/Flaming/Armour Piercing Cold Ones are an option...very nice to know. :D

Nice to know that the Familiar protects the Sorceress from Purple Sun catastrophe though.

Thanks for the information theunwantedbeing.

Lord_Elric
20-10-2010, 16:35

With the focus familiar the miscast is resolved on the mage, not the familiar. The spells however are all resolved from the familiar. So throwing say...purple sun and getting a misfire on the artillery dice just mean's the template goes over the familiar, not the mage.

Wow hadnt noticed that knew the miscast whent on the mage but never though about a botched purple sun thanks for pionting tht out