PDA

View Full Version : Shadowblade and warmachines

DarcinCole
19-10-2010, 12:21
Hi All,

I cannot see anything to help in the FAQ's with regards to my question.

This is my interpetation of how shadowblades ability to infiltrate warmachines works.

Shadowblade infiltrates a war machine, then when he is revealed the warmachine will loose 1 wd and is in combat with him.

My only problem is that because of the rules changes in 8th warmachines are just a warmachine model and the crew are effective wound counters. Does this prevent shadowblade from infiltrating warmachines now? if not is my interpretation of how his ability would work above correct?

Thanks

Lord_Elric
19-10-2010, 12:34
Um.... thats a good question I guess by RAW with rule book alone Id have to say no

but as armybook tumps rule book and the crew are still there with regards to atacks and such id say thats a fine interpretation of how the rule would work in such cases its not like warmachines are any tougher to get rid of now than it was to just kill the crew. I cant see u catching any flak for using it as u interpret it but keep in mind its very unclear so its something best discussed with an opponent b4 hand, just to stop an aguement ruining your game (no ones ever liked it when shadow blade kills warmachine crew lol)

Little Joe
19-10-2010, 12:35
WM no longer have an infantry component (on 20 or 25mm square bases). You can model it now how you like, so most won't have them. Personally I think about round 25mm bases for my counters, to make them look as such.
RAW: no WM infiltration.

Would I let you do it if we spoke about it before the game: yes. So talk to your opponent before the game but maybe after deployment as not to give any ideas.

Lord_Elric
19-10-2010, 13:10
i second doing it after deployment also basicly when your at the piont of righting down where he is lol

@little joe why would u model it with out the crew you still use then for attacks and such wouldnt it be best to just mount the whole model on a bade with the troop models being removeable ,something like the war of the ring movement trays but u know with a cannon on it lol

Little Joe
19-10-2010, 16:02
Been thinking on how to (re-)do my warmachines for 8th, this is what I came up with so far. If anyone wants to point out mistakes feel free to do so.

Mainly just to avoid rule isues. Charges, shooting and templates are done referring to the warmachine itself. So I think a round base the size of the warmachine is the best to avoid rule issues.
For example CC: you rank up to the warmachine, the crew no longer steps up and stands in between. They are just tokens to be attacked by 6 nominated enemy troopers that's all, no need for base contact there.
Say I made a larger square base to have a nice rank up, then the shooting and magic phase might be troublesome with some players. "The base is in range" vs. "But the warmachine is not". Or what does a template hit, even canonballs are some kind of template.
And there is the thing with free rotation to point it at the target for measuring distance. Fairer for me and opponents if it is done with a round base not shifting position as well.
Since I magnetize bases (and trays) it is no longer needed to put them in a tray for easy transport and deployment, might be for good looks but costs money and does not add.
Now to avoid people getting ideas I think it is best to put the crew on round bases, clearly indicating as just wound tokens. I do want to put one crew on the warmachine base to signal where the last wound is, since you need to remove the machine with it anyhow.

Lord_Elric
19-10-2010, 16:37
Been thinking on how to (re-)do my warmachines for 8th, this is what I came up with so far. If anyone wants to point out mistakes feel free to do so.

Mainly just to avoid rule isues. Charges, shooting and templates are done referring to the warmachine itself. So I think a round base the size of the warmachine is the best to avoid rule issues.
For example CC: you rank up to the warmachine, the crew no longer steps up and stands in between. They are just tokens to be attacked by 6 nominated enemy troopers that's all, no need for base contact there.
Say I made a larger square base to have a nice rank up, then the shooting and magic phase might be troublesome with some players. "The base is in range" vs. "But the warmachine is not". Or what does a template hit, even canonballs are some kind of template.
And there is the thing with free rotation to point it at the target for measuring distance. Fairer for me and opponents if it is done with a round base not shifting position as well.
Since I magnetize bases (and trays) it is no longer needed to put them in a tray for easy transport and deployment, might be for good looks but costs money and does not add.
Now to avoid people getting ideas I think it is best to put the crew on round bases, clearly indicating as just wound tokens. I do want to put one crew on the warmachine base to signal where the last wound is, since you need to remove the machine with it anyhow.

I~ completly agree with everything here I think its a very good idea to put the warmachines on round bases to help clarify the rules more. though i myself would prefere to make the crew removable from the base as it give you a chance to make little dioramas for your army. It always looks good to see one dwarf packing the cannon, one aiming and one carrying powder/cannon balls ready for next shot. It adds a touch of life to your armys in my opinion. which is difficult to do with your units as a whole