PDA

View Full Version : 800+ point Skaven army

Gloomwhisker
19-10-2010, 19:58
Hey there. In the next couple of days I'll be having a small battle using the contents of the Island of Blood boxed set, to help get a friend involved in the hobby. I, of course, will be using the Skaven. This is a small list I've come up with using the rats available in the box. It's not much, but I think it should be quite nicely against the Elf-things I'll be up against. Let me know what you think.

Warlord Gloomwhisker-
Blade of Corruption
Warpstone Armour
Foul Pendant

Warlock Engineer Skratch-
Level 2 Wizard
Warplock Pistol
Warp-Energy Condenser

Snarl's Clawpack
20 Clanrats-
Spears
Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader Snarl
Poisoned Wind Mortar

Thraq's Clawpack
20 Clanrats-
Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader Thraq
Warpfire Thrower

Haksz's Kill-Brood
2 Rat Ogres-
Packmaster upgraded to Master Moulder Haksz
Shock-Prod
Master-bred Rat Ogre

TOTAL 831pts.

So, there we have it. As far as a small Skaven army using just the models available in the starter set, I kind of like it. Let me know what you think, and if I should make any changes, particularly with the characters...come to think of it, the characters are really the only thing that can be changed. Oh well, share your thoughts, and thanks for reading.

Gloomwhisker

vorthain
20-10-2010, 14:39
Does the Blade of Corruption's multiplied wounds only affect models with 2+ wounds? For instance, if you have him against your mate's Sea Guard and it inflicts a wound, killing one of them, does that multiplied wound get thrown out or used against a second Sea Guard? If the latter, then it's good, but if not, I'd consider Sword of Might instead for +1 S.

ROCKY
20-10-2010, 14:41
Does the Blade of Corruption's multiplied wounds only affect models with 2+ wounds? For instance, if you have him against your mate's Sea Guard and it inflicts a wound, killing one of them, does that multiplied wound get thrown out or used against a second Sea Guard? If the latter, then it's good, but if not, I'd consider Sword of Might instead for +1 S.

no it does not carry over to the next guy. it however can make quick work out of multi wounded creatures.

vorthain
20-10-2010, 14:47
Right, but I don't think I'd put my warlord (assumedly with a bunch of cowardly clanrats) up against multi-wound creatures when I could have my rat ogres go do it, or blast them with some warpfire. Plus, you've got that double 1 effect that could hurt the bearer, so Blade of Corruption seems too risky to me.

Gloomwhisker
20-10-2010, 15:02
I agree, vorthain, I wouldn't intentionally put my Warlord up against a big mean multi-wound creature ever. In a perfect world I'd leave that up to my Warpfire Throwers and even Skavenslave blocks, letting them hold it up and bog it down. However, big mean multi-wound creatures(much like the Griffon) have a habit of coming to me, and their greater mobility(Flying) makes them much more able to decide when and where they strike. My Warlord in a meager unit of Clanrats would be an excellent target. When this inevitability occurs, I want the Warlord to have at least a small fighting chance of doing some damage to the Griffon-thing;)

You may be right, though, perhaps the Blade of Corruption is too risky on the Warlord. That said, Skaven are all about that, and big returns can usually only be garnered through big(bigger?) risks. We'll see...

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Despite my reply seemingly stating the contrary, I will definitely look into changing this up, checking out my options and whatnot. You're right; it's no good having your general be killed by his own weapon, and putting him up against a Griffon or such like is just crazy. Perhaps I should be a more defensive route with him?

Gloomwhisker

vorthain
20-10-2010, 16:08
Given you are not giving your warlord a shield, a halberd would be a good choice too, thus freeing up those points for a Potion of Strength. At I7 and 4 S8 attacks, you should be able to neutralize the griffin or rider. Additionally, though Potion of Strength is one use only, you can save it for when the enemy big baddie comes at you, or it will still be useful for high armor/toughness single wound enemies, like knights or heavy infantry. It seems more versatile to me.

I also recently started with the Island of Blood and use that fighty hero as a Chieftain Battle Standard Bearer. Always good to bolster Skaven leadership. If you want to do that though, you will have to demote your Warlock Engineer to a level 1 and nix some magic items to slide in beneath the 25% hero allotment.

Gloomwhisker
20-10-2010, 16:31
Thanks, vorthain, that's a really good point as well. I think I may definitely look at rearranging some of the points and character allotments...I think you're definitely on to something.

Gloomwhisker

Bakish
21-10-2010, 17:17
Worth noting that if you're both using -just- what's in the box, his list is no where near legal :)