PDA

View Full Version : 1000pts - Returning Druchii player

DeviantApostle
19-10-2010, 21:42
Last time I played Fantasy, I had two armies: Dark Elves and Undead. None of this newfangled 'Vampire Counts' or 'Tomb Kings' milarky, 'Undead'. So I'm back for 8th edition and willing to admit I'm clueless about WFB. So I'm dipping my toe in with a basic 1000pt list based on the DE Batallion, a box of Corsairs and the Supreme Sorceress model on foot (well, hovering at least):

Supreme Sorceress w/Book of Furion
10 Crossbowmen
10 Crossbowmen
25 Corsairs w/ full command and a Banner of Murder

From there, I'm looking to include a cavalry unit with a BSB, probably Cold One Knights from the batallion box to start with, though I have my eye on Dark Riders instead.

The theme I'm going for is a Black Arc raider force (I like the background - I also played DE in Man O' War). Other than that, all constructive comments, tips, etc. welcome.

vorthain
20-10-2010, 13:49
The Supreme Sorceress is a fairly large investment for only 1k points, especially with no other heavy hitting units. I imagine it barely fits within the 25% Lord allotment. I would consider a level 2. Also, given the numbers the boxes of Dark Elves come in (16 for Warriors/RXB, 10 for Corsairs), I'd consider 16 RXB and 20 Corsairs, then possibly get some Riders or Shades in.

The BSB on a Dark Rider would be good if you're planning on having him/her gallop around the field to lend support where needed. However, if they are going with a unit of Dark Riders, which should basically just be shooting/harassing enemy war machines, flankers, and lone characters, the BSB wouldn't be a good choice. The Cold One Knights have the combat power to make use of a good banner to break the enemy's back.

Hope that helps.

DeviantApostle
20-10-2010, 22:39
Thanks Vorthian.

I thought about going with the Level 2 Sorceress but I was a bit iffy on the cheapness vs. the bonus to casting checks and more spells. Since I'm going the magic route (just because I like magic) I wasn't sure if skimping was a good idea. I'll try both out, see what works.

The battalion box comes with 26 warriors and, I'm told by the manager of the GW store, you get the pieces for both spear and crossbowmen for all of them. Unless he's lying or mistaken that's enough for the 20 RXBs.

While I like the idea of the Dark Horse BSB, I'll save that for when I've got more point bandwidth and go with the CoKs.

Two questions if anyone's interested: Sea Serpent Standard vs. Banner of Murder? The reason I didn't want to go with the SSS is having to charge with Frenzy. I'm also tossing up the merits of extra hand weapons and handbows, what are the effective combinations?

scarvet
21-10-2010, 00:02
Both depends on your frontage size; but realistically I stay with 2 AHW for a large size unit. Handbow are for speed bumps, but crossbowmen is way better.

Unfortunately Corsairs are not ideal as frontliner as they used to be: Horde formation just kick the straight back to the Black Arks. That being said, they are still worthwhile as flanker (15~20) to take away annoying steadfast (imagine 50 Guardsmen with a Commissar).

Lord_Elric
21-10-2010, 00:17
Both depends on your frontage size; but realistically I stay with 2 AHW for a large size unit. Handbow are for speed bumps, but crossbowmen is way better.

Unfortunately Corsairs are not ideal as frontliner as they used to be: Horde formation just kick the straight back to the Black Arks. That being said, they are still worthwhile as flanker (15~20) to take away annoying steadfast (imagine 50 Guardsmen with a Commissar).

flankers dont remove steadfast only rank bonus.

I personaly take alot of corsairs as i just love the models if your playing a waiting game and prepared to shoot as much as possible and wait to be charged then go repeater Handbows With banner of murder (SnS reaction with a unit 7 wide nets u 28 str 3 shots with AP) but naturaly if u plan on charging in then go with 2HW and SSS.

DeviantApostle
21-10-2010, 00:29
Yeah, Corsairs look great and fit my theme, particularly with EHW. I'm thinking I'll use them to block with the Cold One Knights in support and the shooty RXBs and Sorceress on the line.

Thanks, guys.