PDA

View Full Version : Forest Strider + Ordinary/Mysterious Forests

b4z
20-10-2010, 17:10
Can someone help me with telling me if i have understood this correctly [by confirming or denying the following statements]

(My friend has just started Fantasy and plays Wood Elves, and this is mainly to help me, help him, understand the rules..
As we have been playing it wrong[/generously], allowing him to be completely unaffected by Mysterious Forests when it comes to Damage. Our fluff conclusion [through unfamiliarity with the rules] being that Wood Elves are the masters of the Forest/Woods.)

01. Infantry have no movement penalty through Ordinary Forests.
02. Infantry have no movement penalty through Mysterious Forests.
03. Infantry have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests and/or Damage as stipulated in Results 3. 5. and 6.

04. Cavalry have to take a Dangerous Terrain Test through Ordinary Forests.
05. Cavalry have to take a Dangerous Terrain Test through Mysterious Forests.
06. Cavalry have to take [extra?] Dangerous Terrain Tests and/or Damage as stipulated in Resuts 3. 5. and 6.

07. Forest Strider Infantry have no movement penalty through Ordinary Forests.
08. Forest Strider Infantry have no movement penalty through Mysterious Forests.
09. Forest Strider infantry do NOT have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests as stipulated in Result 5. BUT still have to take Damage as stipulated in Results 3. and 6.

10. Forest Strider Cavalry do NOT have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests through Ordinary Forests.
11. Forest Strider Cavalry do NOT have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests through Mysterious Forests.
12. Forest Strider Cavalry do not have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests as stipulated in Result 5. But still have to take Damage as stipulated in Results 3. and 6.

Is this the correct way to proceed?

----------

I have used the following quotes/pages...

"Warriors with the Strider rule do not have to take difficult terrain tests" [Page 76 Rulebook]

"If a cavalry, monstrous cavalry or chariot marches, charges, overruns, flees, or pursues through a forest, it must take a Dangerous Terrain test."
[Page 119 Rulebook]

Mysterious Wood Results [Page 119 Rulebook]
1 It's an 'ordinary' forest. Phew!
2. Abyssal Wood
3. Blood Forest
4. Fungus Forest
5. Venom Thicket
6. Wildwood
-------------------

Lord_Elric
20-10-2010, 17:35
Can someone help me with telling me if i have understood this correctly [by confirming or denying the following statements]

(My friend has just started Fantasy and plays Wood Elves, and this is mainly to help me, help him, understand the rules..
As we have been playing it wrong[/generously], allowing him to be completely unaffected by Mysterious Forests when it comes to Damage. Our fluff conclusion [through unfamiliarity with the rules] being that Wood Elves are the masters of the Forest/Woods.)

01. Infantry have no movement penalty through Ordinary Forests.
02. Infantry have no movement penalty through Mysterious Forests.
03. Infantry have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests and/or Damage as stipulated in Results 3. 5. and 6.

04. Cavalry have to take a Dangerous Terrain Test through Ordinary Forests.
05. Cavalry have to take a Dangerous Terrain Test through Mysterious Forests.
06. Cavalry have to take [extra?] Dangerous Terrain Tests and/or Damage as stipulated in Resuts 3. 5. and 6.

07. Forest Strider Infantry have no movement penalty through Ordinary Forests.
08. Forest Strider Infantry have no movement penalty through Mysterious Forests.
09. Forest Strider infantry do NOT have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests as stipulated in Result 5. BUT still have to take Damage as stipulated in Results 3. and 6.

10. Forest Strider Cavalry do NOT have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests through Ordinary Forests.
11. Forest Strider Cavalry do NOT have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests through Mysterious Forests.
12. Forest Strider Cavalry do not have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests as stipulated in Result 5. But still have to take Damage as stipulated in Results 3. and 6.

Is this the correct way to proceed?

----------

I have used the following quotes/pages...

"Warriors with the Strider rule do not have to take difficult terrain tests" [Page 76 Rulebook]

"If a cavalry, monstrous cavalry or chariot marches, charges, overruns, flees, or pursues through a forest, it must take a Dangerous Terrain test."
[Page 119 Rulebook]

Mysterious Wood Results [Page 119 Rulebook]
1 It's an 'ordinary' forest. Phew!
2. Abyssal Wood
3. Blood Forest
4. Fungus Forest
5. Venom Thicket
6. Wildwood
-------------------

This is a very over complicated way of looking at the rule and might be why your a little confused.

to put things simply a unit has to make a dangeous terrain test when either marching or Fleeing, Pursueing, or charging, through dangerous terrain. and cavalry treat all terrain that isnt open ground as dangerous terrain

the Strider special rule Essentialy means you automatcly pass dangerous terrain tests for the type of terrain specified.

so cavalry with Strider would not have to test when moving through such terrain

and the effects of particular types of terrain that call for a dangerous terrain test (a venom thicket) Would be ignored by units of any kind with the appropriate Strider special rule.

i hope this clears things up a bit.

b4z
21-10-2010, 07:51
So the DAMAGE effects of 3. Blood Forest and 6. Wildwood still apply to all of his Wood Elves [and as a wider rule all Forest Strider units]?
Despite them having Forest Strider [which only negates the need to take Dangerous Terrain Tests when doing the above list of actions through a Forest]?

theorox
21-10-2010, 07:55
Forest striders take no Dangerous Terrain tests caused by a forest. That's all. Seems simple to me. :)

Theo

Ney
21-10-2010, 08:50
I say you are correct in all your statements (and i think its a wonderful way of viewing at it, makes it very clear). In 06 you only take one dangearous terrain test, but you still have to take the test and the extra damage the forrest deals by itself.

However I still find it funny that the woodelves know how to step around the roots and pitfalls, but they have not yet learned not to eat the mushrooms :D

Chris_
21-10-2010, 09:54
Wood Elves take no dangerous terrain test if they are in a wood/forest. It is that simple.

b4z
21-10-2010, 10:05
Okay guys. It wasn't just about Wood Elves. It was to just clarify in my mind, hence the list of statements. Thanks for the replies.