PDA

View Full Version : Scotch eggs?

Minibull
21-10-2010, 00:38
Okay, strange question from a clueless American - are scotch eggs any good?

I was listening to a recent podcast (either Film Sack or the Instance) and the host commented on how nasty scotch eggs were. I looked online and think they are just boiled eggs with a sausage coating, deep fried. To me that actually sounds pretty good (everything's better deep fried here in the American south ;) ). Did I get the wrong recipe or was the podcaster just off base?

Thanks!

BigbyWolf
21-10-2010, 00:45
Ones bought from a shop- generally poor
Ones from a real butcher- ok
Home-made ones, with proper quality sausage meat- pretty good.

Bestaltan
21-10-2010, 01:49
Heh. It must be an East Tennessee thing Minibull, because when I read that description you gave, I thought it sounded pretty darn good too!

Da Reddaneks
21-10-2010, 02:07
A peeled hard boiled egg, wrapped in sausage and then deep fried? Not something that I would eat (as I am now 43 years old and avoid such things) but it does sound like something that would go over big here in the south. And I will admit that it does not sound half bad.

Jonathan =I=
21-10-2010, 02:32
Scotch eggs are great, I’ve only ever had delicatessen or homemade ones but they have always been delicious.

I’m guessing in the UK there a cheap and nasty fast food equivalent rather then something made well?

loken555
21-10-2010, 02:32
the best of the best is the pork pie log thing with the egg in the middle

eyescrossed
21-10-2010, 07:36
What about deep-fried Mars bars? :D

Dunno if you guys have Mars bars outside of Australia - they're basically just a chocolate bar with caramel and nougat filling.

Now, imagine them coated in batter and deep fried. Sounds absolutely disgusting, and they'll give you over 9000 heart attacks, but damn they're good.

AndrewGPaul
21-10-2010, 07:49
Scotch eggs are great, Iíve only ever had delicatessen or homemade ones but they have always been delicious.

Iím guessing in the UK there a cheap and nasty fast food equivalent rather then something made well?

Not really. They tend to lurk in the deli counter in supermarkets, and in proper butchers. I've never heard of anywhere selling takeaway scotch eggs.

ansible5
21-10-2010, 07:51
What about deep-fried Mars bars? :D

Dunno if you guys have Mars bars outside of Australia - they're basically just a chocolate bar with caramel and nougat filling.

Now, imagine them coated in batter and deep fried. Sounds absolutely disgusting, and they'll give you over 9000 heart attacks, but damn they're good.

The Americans call Mars bars Milky Ways, which confused the hell out of me the first time I was over there.

Jedi152
21-10-2010, 07:53
The Mars bar is an english invention. ;)

Scotch Eggs are awesome. They aren't greasy and horrible like most deep fried food.

Hypaspist
21-10-2010, 08:03
Deep fried Mars Bar is an absolute win. (also, a Mars bar Toastie is very much on the delectable side... :shifty:)

however onto the Scotch eggs.

As described above, Boiled Egg, peeled, covered in sausage meat, then coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried.

bought from supermarkets, they can be a touch on the dry side, but as bigby rightly points out, butchers and/or homemade ones are very tasty indeed.

I would urge you Americans to try them.

:)

sycopat
21-10-2010, 08:08
The deep fried mars bar seems to be the Scottish national dish. But then they deep fry everything.

A cheeseburger in Scotland is not a burger with cheese on it. It is two burgers with cheese in the middle coated in batter and deep fried. And I've heard tell of even worse/better deep frying tales.

edit: also on the subject: http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Scotch+Egg/

Hypaspist
21-10-2010, 08:09
There are chippies in Glasgow (that I have been to in my younger days) where you can take in *anything* edible, and they will deep fry it...

*homer drool*

eyescrossed
21-10-2010, 09:03
The Americans call Mars bars Milky Ways, which confused the hell out of me the first time I was over there.
We have both over here, but the Milky Ways don't have caramel.

The Mars bar is an english invention. ;)
Wow. You learn something new every day, I guess :D

(also, a Mars bar Toastie is very much on the delectable side... :shifty:)
Now THAT sounds interesting...

A cheeseburger in Scotland is not a burger with cheese on it. It is two burgers with cheese in the middle coated in batter and deep fried. And I've heard tell of even worse/better deep frying tales.

*spit take* Whoa! :eek:

There are chippies in Glasgow (that I have been to in my younger days) where you can take in *anything* edible, and they will deep fry it...

*homer drool*
I bet they don't deep fry soup :shifty:

Armchair General
21-10-2010, 11:05
There's a stall on Truro farmer's market that sells scotch eggs made with duck meat and duck eggs, and that still has a soft yolk.

Suffice to say, Saturday is one of my favourite days of the week.

AndrewGPaul
21-10-2010, 11:08

*homer drool*

The deep-fried Cadbury's Creme Egg is a visit to A&E waiting to happen. :) I've never seen a chippy advertising deep-fried Mars Bars (although they might do them 'under the counter'). The worst I've seen is the pizza crunch - a half a cheese pizza, deep-fried in batter.

I also saw an American acquaintance buying a hamburger supper once. The look on his face when he found out the hamburger was battered was priceless. :D

I bet they don't deep fry soup :shifty:

Aha! A challenge! :D Mind you, scotch broth has enough bits that you could give it a go ...

That sounds like something Heston Blumenthal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heston_Blumenthal) would have a crack at.

Anyway, scotch eggs;

Do any of the snack chains (like Greggs) sell scotch eggs, or are they only found at independents and supermarkets?

Col. Frost
21-10-2010, 11:34
the best of the best is the pork pie log thing with the egg in the middle

The delectable Gala Pie!

Scotch eggs are best 'homemade', most retail scotch eggs are horrific by comparison.

A Scot's friend of mine goes crazy over Deep Fried Marathon (Snickers to all you youngsters / non British), but ive never tried it due to the fact that i don't belive my systme could cope with that much fat and sugar in one hit :skull:

Deamon-forge
21-10-2010, 12:05
a load shop would deep fry anything you gave them if you paid for the batter and time about 50p i think it was, fun we had asking to fry load of sweets.

Nazguire
21-10-2010, 13:16
Deep Fried Mars Bars are vile. So so rich and you feel gross eating them. That said, with ice cream they'd be pretty good I reckon.

Deep Fried Ice Cream is the shiz nit.

Anaris
21-10-2010, 13:30
The deep fried mars bar seems to be the Scottish national dish. But then they deep fry everything.

Calling BS on all that. A quick poll of the 18 or so desks around mine in the office revealed 3 people have tried a deep fried Mars bar, compared to 16 who have tried Haggis (2 Veggies).

Also, no-one has ever had a cheeseburger the way you describe it. Of course many have had 2 burgers with cheese in the middle, but that's just a standard double cheeseburger from any fast food place.

Back on topic. Scotch Eggs are indeed awesome, but they can be very high in fat so don't eat too many.

Also, see if you can lay your hands on potted hoch. That's a dish that will separate the men from the boys.

Ramius4
21-10-2010, 14:24

We have Mars bars and Milky Ways, both of them are made by the Mars corporation.

We have both over here, but the Milky Ways don't have caramel.

Here in America the Mars bars are nougat, caramel and almonds coated in chocolate.

A Milky Way is nougat and caramel coated in chocolate.

BigbyWolf
21-10-2010, 15:02
Also, no-one has ever had a cheeseburger the way you describe it. Of course many have had 2 burgers with cheese in the middle, but that's just a standard double cheeseburger from any fast food place.

Just because no-ones had one, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I've had that form of burger several times in both Glasgow and Edinborough.

Back on the OT though.

I'm buying the ingredients and making some Scotch Eggs tonight!

ltsobel
21-10-2010, 15:14
Most supermarkets here do a sort of Scotch Egg although they are smaller and the egg inside is chopped up - picnic eggs or something? Not as good but still ok.

Novrain
21-10-2010, 16:56
I want to second Bigby here on the cheeseburger issue. I have had a cheeseburger like this before, multiple times when I was younger and still lived in Scotland.

On another note I have heard of, but never personally tried, a battered and deep fried pizza slice...

Sojourner
21-10-2010, 17:02
The commentator you refer to is an imbecile.

Granted, most shop-bought scotch eggs are fairly poor compared to how good they can be. I'd stick mine in the microwave for a few seconds - not too long, or the sausagemeat will most likely melt.

Bombot
21-10-2010, 17:03
From Wikipedia:

"Mars (also Mars bar) is a chocolate bar manufactured by Mars, Inc. It was first manufactured in Slough, Berkshire in the United Kingdom in 1932 as a sweeter version of the American Milky Way bar which Mars, Inc. produced in the USA (not to be confused with the European version of Milky Way, which is a different confection). A different chocolate bar with the same Mars name was sold in the USA until 2002, when it was discontinued. However it was relaunched in 2010. It contains plain nougat, almonds and caramel in a milk chocolate coating."

Well, that's confusing.

PS - I like Scotch eggs.

Ramius4
21-10-2010, 17:39
Screw the scotch eggs...

I want to second Bigby here on the cheeseburger issue. I have had a cheeseburger like this before, multiple times when I was younger and still lived in Scotland.

On another note I have heard of, but never personally tried, a battered and deep fried pizza slice...

I want one. Of each. :shifty:

Scanno
21-10-2010, 17:45
Very nice deli in Coventry that unfortunately went out of business did amazing scotch eggs. Kinda ruined any others for me, they can't compete.

They also did a spiced pork one with chilis and dark chocolate. And a vegi one made of chickpeas, bell peppers and parmisan.

On the deep fried front for those unfamiliar with them, they aren't battered, they're rolled in breadcrumbs.

EffCee
21-10-2010, 17:56
I find scotch eggs nothing short of repulsive:no:

TheBigBadWolf
21-10-2010, 19:02
Nobody eats deep fried mars bars, they are totally blown out of proportion, same for the burger thing, its all rubbish, I know no one that has had one.

Pizza crunchs are real, battered deep fried pizza.

Scotch eggs are ok, I dont actually think they are scottish though.

The Highlander
21-10-2010, 21:26
Nobody eats deep fried mars bars, they are totally blown out of proportion, same for the burger thing, its all rubbish, I know no one that has had one.

Pizza crunchs are real, battered deep fried pizza.

Scotch eggs are ok, I dont actually think they are scottish though.

I had a deep fried mars bar two weeks ago, my local chip shop does it and I think they are lovely (though obviously only occasionally).

And to any Americans complaining about deep fired mars bars, the only thing I can say is this is coming from the country that invented deep fried butter!

Chucklemoney
21-10-2010, 21:32

Then you have a whole new level of pleasure to attain. Also you want to go somewhere that does the whole pizza deep fried, none of this slice nonsense. :D

Meriwether
21-10-2010, 22:49
I was sad when they discontinued the (American) Mars bar. I am happy they are back -- the caramel makes a Milky Way too sweet, IMO.

And to any Americans complaining about deep fired mars bars, the only thing I can say is this is coming from the country that invented deep fried butter!

The annual festival held in my town offers some of the following things to eat in battered and deep-fried form: Oreo cookies, sausage, pizza, cookie dough logs, blooming onions, ice cream, chocolate-covered key-lime pie on a stick, chocolate-covered cheesecake on a stick, fried dough, and ostrich meatballs...

...that I am aware of. I'm sure I missed some things.

And as for the Scotch egg, isn't it rather more delicious to make a sausage patty, then crack an egg yolk over the top?

BigbyWolf
21-10-2010, 23:11
In South Africa they have (or maybe had) Bar One as their version of a Mars Bar.

On the pizza issue, shortly after moving to the UK from South Africa we went into a chippy in Hartlepool and saw that there was pizza on the menu, being young me and my brother decided we'd have this instead of fish and chips. So my dad duly ordered a couple, and my brother and I watched on in horror as the guy behind the counter got two frozen pizzas and virtually "frisbeed" them into the fryer. No batter, just pizza, into fryer.

One hell of a culture shock, and the meal has probably taken a couple of days off my life...

Lostanddamned
21-10-2010, 23:13
I used to love Scotch Eggs, then I went vegetarian.

Then I discovered that Quorn makes Scotch Eggs.

Delicious.

I've had a deep fried mars bar and it was delicious, but then the fish shop where I bought it shut down. Something about being "insanitary"

Minibull
22-10-2010, 00:30
Awesome! I will definitely have to try a batch of scotch eggs, with a side of bacon of course...

Now I don't know about Scotland (only visited there once, lovely place if a bit windy) but the American South is the world's leader in deep frying food. Not just the common stuff like funnel cakes, corn dogs, or oreos - you've reached the top when you've had a deep fried Coke! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_Coke)

Hmmm, I guess that's one of the reasons the South leads the world in obesity... :shifty:

cornonthecob
22-10-2010, 06:41
Scotch eggs can vary , some shop ones are nice, others are a little gristley which makes me feel ill....

AndrewGPaul
22-10-2010, 09:49
The hamburger thing depends where you buy it. If you get a burger from a greasy spoon or a burger van, it's a normal burger - a fried burger between two bits of bread, with cheese, ketchup, onions, etc to taste. You only get deep-fried and battered ones if you go to a chip shop, where just about everything is deep-fried in batter. They won't come in a roll either, unless you ask specifically. It looks like this (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3334/3201700151_cd385c9b4c.jpg).

For the uninitiated, a "<thing> supper" is a <thing> with chips. a "single <thing>" is a <thing> without chips. Despite being a "single", you usually get two sausages or pieces of fish.

Off-topic, has anyone ever considered battering the pickled onions, I wonder?

Bombot
22-10-2010, 10:57
And as for the Scotch egg, isn't it rather more delicious to make a sausage patty, then crack an egg yolk over the top?

A Scotch egg is more like picnic or snack food, sold cold and in different places to the kind of thing you describe.

BigbyWolf
22-10-2010, 11:28
Off-topic, has anyone ever considered battering the pickled onions, I wonder?

Or the pickled eggs?!!?

eyescrossed
22-10-2010, 11:53
I wanna cover a whole Big Mac in batter and deep fry it for... No reason... :shifty: