PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Dogs of War - Jarl's Lions

Adlan
28-05-2005, 13:28
Iselles Own

Leaders
Jarl The Lion
Mercenary Captain (50)
Sword of Might (20) Heavy Armour (4) Shield (2) Talisman of protection (15)
Uses Leopold Luccini Figure, total points: 91

One Eyed Sam
Paymaster (55)
Heavy Arm (4) Biting blade (10) Enchanted shield (10)
Uses Roderigo Delmonte Figure, total points: 81

Princess Iselle
Hirling Wizard (60)
2 dispel scrolls (50)
Uses Brettonian Damsel Figure, total points: 110

Core
Jarls Lions
18 Pikemen (180)
Heavy Armour (18)
Musician (10) Standerd Bearer (15)
Uses Lepord Company Figures, total points: 213

Jarl's 1st of Foot
20 Pikemen (200)
Uses Alcatani Figures, total points 225

Jarl's 2nd of Foot
20 Pikemen (200)

Jarl's Fangs
10 Dulists (50)
Pistols (40)
Uses Empire Milita Figures, total points 90

Jarl's 1st Light Company
10 Dulists (50)
Uses Empire Milita Figures, total points 50

Jarl's 2nd Light Company
10 Dulists (50)
Uses Empire Milita Figures, total points 50

Jarl's Aspirints
8 Dulists (40)
Uses Empire Milita Figures, total points 40

Jarl's 1st of Shot
10 Crossbowmen (80)
Uses Empire Milita Figures, total points 80

Jarl's 2nd of Shot
10 Crossbowmen (80)
Uses Empire Milita Figures, total points 80

Rare
Bronzino and his Galloper Gun
Bronzino and One team (165)
Uses Bronzino and one gun team, total points 165

Total 1500

This is the general outline of what I plan to buy myself after my exams (no time to spend my hard earned cash during them)
I then intend to take it to next years conflict norwich.

The basic background i've come up with is thus:
Princess Iselle was a bored only daughter of a tilian prince, she wasn't intrested in marrige, or her magical studies.
But when her father was executed by the populous she saw a chance to get some exitment. Stealing her teachers magical supplies and convincing her personal armsman (Sam) to steal the royal treasury and flee the city.
While on route to her aunts they were way laid by Jarl and a wall of spikes as his lion company held up the road. Jarl was about to demand all her worldly posessions when he fell head over heels in love.
Starting with this core of former banditry Iselle has built up a fearsome force under the command of her love struck militry leader. She now adventures all across the world, old and new, in search of exitment and plunder.

My basic tactics consist of pikemen form a wall while dulists hit the flanks. Bronzino hits the enamy along the side of his line and the cross bow men soften up the enamy as they charge in.
If i face a stand off enamy i will hit one side heavily using ne unit of pikemen and all the dulists and bronzino while the other pikemen hold them off.

As princess iselle isn't all that good a magician i thought it would be approprate to rename the only spell she will take princess iselles beauty (any unit rallies. 5+) this is of course achived by taking lore of beasts and always picking oxen stands.

Artemis_Quinn
29-05-2005, 13:44
I persoanally like the list and more than that I like the storyline you've created for this list. I think it is a crying shame that DOW don't have a book and i'm not even sure that GW plans to make one. But at least they gave us a little one in chronicles. I love DOW and feel that they aren't played enough, so I not only like your list because you have good unit selections and overall I feel you could take on many armies with this list, but also because it is something different, with a good storyline. That has to count for something.

Adlan
29-05-2005, 14:17
Thanks alot Quinn, it's nice to hear praise. I hope to do better with it than my last showing at conflict (2 massacres and a draw), so what i'm really wanting is people to point out flaws and ways armys will rip mine to shreds.

I also plan to use bronzino as a hidden surprise, i'm hoping peoples lack of familiraity with dogs of war will mean he is ignored and I can use him as an extra troop killer or as a war machine destroyer.

I also plan to take the second turn (unless i have a good reason not to) and to then to run the cannon up the flanks. Grapeshot is under used and very nasty
:D

Artemis_Quinn
29-05-2005, 15:26
Well, if you're looking for the flaws in your list then I have two main things to point out.......

1) The duelists aren't going to be doing much of anything for a long time if you aren't equipping them with anything. I think they need pistols to be really nasty. Right now they might get you a flank or worry someone about a charge, but with movement eight and no upgrades I don't see much of that happening. With pistols they are a force to be reckoned with in combat and outside of it. So the 4 points is well worth it in my opinion.

2) Magic heavy armies will give you a hard time and so will shooter heavy armies (cavalry armies and foot troop armies not so much). This is because as long as they have a few characters with mobility and set-up in the back of thier deployment zone there's a fair chance that your pikemen will never see combat. And your hirling wizard is gonna be really ineffective after those scrolls are used up. This is why a DOW list needs a good strong unit of heavy cavalry to worry your opponent enough to draw fire from everything else (because pikemen just don't have the armor needed to take missile fire). And even then, I'm afraid that opponents who know the dangers of pikes would take a cavalry charge over that anyday, I know I'd rather take 6 knight attacks and 5 pony attacks rather than 21 Pikemen attacks anyday.

But besides these two minor things this is all I can see that I might change about your list, you stayed to a theme and made sure not to be cheesy or anything like that. That's honorable and the way I see it, choose a force that compliments your playing style and not what everyone else plays, so if this list works for you, go for it.

Adlan
29-05-2005, 22:01
Hmmmmm, good points and they made me think.
I could drop the crossbowmen (giving me an extra 160 points)
I could buy:
Cavalry, 5 heavy cavalry and a standerd is only 105 points, leaving 55 to upgrade the dulists.
However i just don't see any place in my army for cavalry nor do i have any tactical knowladge of how to ustilise it. If someone can convince me otherwise they might be an option (chaos hound conversions and possibly pantherknight bodys might work or converted chaos knights on said hounds)

Or

I can spend the points on pistols for every unit, and bringing the last unit up to full strength for 130 points, and then possibly sargents or standerd for two units.

Or hmmm cunning tactic time.
Scarp all the dulists start from the beggining again.

So two units of ten with pistols -180

leaves 210

So then say 3 units of ten with two handweapons -210

yay, and so, the two units of ten run inside the pike wall thus :

1st Foot - Dulists - Jarl's Lions - Dulists - 2nd Foot

and when the pikemen engage the front of the enemy they engage the flank.
Two of the other three units protect the flanks, while the third acts as a a screen and a decoy (I'll beef them up all mean and nasty with fur cloaks, as i will for the dulists with pistols and jarl's lions)

Hows that sound? any advice?
Thanks is Advance, it's good to have portent back

Chuffy
30-05-2005, 14:58
Replace the stuff like the sword of might and the biting blade on your characters with Great Weapons....cheaper.

Plus it might be a good idea to give the two other pike units heavy armour, it increases their survivability loads.

Overall though looks like a cool army.

Cpt. Drill
30-05-2005, 15:02
do you want to know something cool! well.. you mercenary hero can have a flail, morning star, lance, spear, throwing weapopns...

and you can definatly have a great weapon :D

Adlan
30-05-2005, 16:04
One of the problems is I'm using the leader figures from the regiments as my heros. So the equipment must correspond to the model.

Any ideas on the new dulist variation?

makes the list Thus:

Leaders
Jarl The Lion
Mercenary Captain (50)
Sword of Might (20) Heavy Armour (4) Shield (2) Talisman of protection (15)
Uses Leopold Luccini Figure, total points: 91

One Eyed Sam
Paymaster (55)
Heavy Arm (4) Biting blade (10) Enchanted shield (10)
Uses Roderigo Delmonte Figure, total points: 81

Princess Iselle
Hirling Wizard (60)
2 dispel scrolls (50)
Uses Brettonian Damsel Figure, total points: 110

Core
Jarls Lions
18 Pikemen (180)
Heavy Armour (18)
Uses Lepord Company Figures, total points: 213

Jarl's 1st of Foot
20 Pikemen (200)

Jarl's 2nd of Foot
20 Pikemen (200)

Jarl's Fangs
10 Dulists (50)
Pistols (40)

Jarl's Claws
10 Dulists (50)
Pistols (40)

Jarl's 1st Light Company
10 Dulists (50)
2 Handweapons
Uses Empire Milita Figures, total points 70

Jarl's 2nd Light Company
10 Dulists (50)
2 Handweapons

Jarl's 3rd Light Company
10 Dulists (50)
2 Handweapons

Rare
Bronzino and his Galloper Gun
Bronzino and One team (165)
Uses Bronzino and one gun team, total points 165

Total 1500

Artemis_Quinn
30-05-2005, 16:11
I like the list a lot more right now than I did before, 50 Duelists is just mean. I still say that the Pikemen are going to need a unit to worry the enemy into taking fire away from them, though I guess a deulist skirmish screen works good enough for that. Good list.

Adlan
30-05-2005, 16:18
Thanks everyone, i'm probably going to stick with this list, if anyone has anymore suggestions please tell me (even if it's dead obvious and in my stupidity i have missed it, in fact in this instance shout it at me).

The total count of the list is
115 (not in cluding 1 horse and cannon) men.
3 powerdice and 3 dispel dice.
2 scrolls
and the most attacks from one unit is 23 attacks.

Edit: and a cost of 203
not ncluding a new case (70)
lots of green stuff for fur cloaks (12)
and Movement trays-(3)
makes 288