PDA

View Full Version : Slann build for a 2000 point army

Gloomwhisker
22-10-2010, 23:25
Hey all. When it comes to building a Slann Mage-Priest for a 2000 point Lizardmen army, I find myself slightly torn. Torn between economy, particularly at the 2000 points level, where you really don't want to throw all your eggs in one basket, and also between effectiveness....you're already paying a lot of points for this Lord, why not make him as effective and survivable as possible? So, slightly more than may occur in other situations, it's a serious balancing act between these two factors for me.

At the moment, this is what I've come up with for my Slann at this points level.

Slann Mage-Priest-
Cupped Hands of the Old Ones
Focus of Mystery
The Focused Rumination
The Becalming Cogitation

He's nasty, an awesome spell caster, and Miscasts aren't going to be too much of an issue for him. Of course, you've got to factor in the cost of his Temple Guard unit as well, but that's another discussion(not to mention I really love Temple Guard...so whatever, I'll dish out the points for them regardless;)

I'm also undecided on the Lore(s) I'd most like to give him, but that's really more of a personal choice, I suppose. So, what do you think of this build? Is it economical enough for a typical 2000 point army, or is it overkill? Is it too economical, and not effective enough? Let me know what you think, and also share any of your Slann builds if you'd like. Thanks.

Gloomwhisker

trolloc
23-10-2010, 03:16
This is actually the build that I use for myself, so I can confirm that it is incredibly effective. You will definitely feel the cost, so to speak, especially if you bring a decent number of temple guard, but if you give it Lore of Life that is a significant chunk of your army that the enemy just will not be able to kill.

(Disclaimer: Does not hold necessarily hold true if your enemy brings the Purple Sun))

scruffyryan
23-10-2010, 03:37
If you choose life, feedback scroll + bane head, or book of ashur, any other lore cupped hands.

Kudzu
23-10-2010, 04:28
Slann Mage-Priest-
Cupped Hands of the Old Ones
Focus of Mystery
The Focused Rumination
The Becalming Cogitation

Add BSB + standard of discipline in 16-20 TG and you have my normal Slann build for tourneys.

As far as lores go, Light or Life depending on your play style. I prefer to play aggressively so I usually go Light.

Vsurma
23-10-2010, 08:32
I would stick with the cupped hands even with the lore of life, otherwise if the opponent dispels your throne of vines you cannot really risk throwing 7 dice at dwellers which is what you really want to be doing the first turn or 2.

Mine is:
Slann
cupped hands
mystery
rumination
cogitation
bsb
banner of discipline
bane head

It is expensive, 475 points but I never really lose it and it completely dominates the magic phase.

I also run a lv1 skink priest with a dispel scroll.

With cogitation negating 6s the enemy cannot cast with IF if I am within 24" and the skink has a scroll so so far I have been able to go through all my games just fine.

I run the slann in a unit of 20 Temple guard with the banner of eternal flame and a speed potion on the champ.