PDA

View Full Version : HE 1000, in need of advice

Red_Lep
23-10-2010, 00:17
I'm going to have an intro game for this edition next Friday and I need advice on the list.

**EDIT: Revised list below**

Thanks in advance :)

Red_Lep
23-10-2010, 02:03
How necessary is the BSB in this small of an army? I'm tempted to replace the Prince and BSB with a cheap Noble(maybe Korhil?) and to add more bodies/units, which would be the best bet?

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
23-10-2010, 03:24
How necessary is the BSB in this small of an army? I'm tempted to replace the Prince and BSB with a cheap Noble(maybe Korhil?) and to add more bodies/units, which would be the best bet?

It would depend on how often you'd have to take Ld based tests in each phase. Since you don't have a mage or any shooting I'd think you'd might have to make quite a few tests in each round as you start to take casulties in those phases. I think it would probably be better if you elimnate one or the other to get more troops in there (probably The Prince as he eats up a lot of points). My main concern with your force is that there isn't much shooting or mobile units to counteract faster moving units or war machines. I wrote up an alternate list with most of your choices intact but removed the chariot to give you a couple of great eagles for war machine hunting duties. I also selected a kit for your Prince if you're still planning to go with that set up:

Prince- 242 pts.
~Great Weapon
~Armor of Silver Steel
~Tailsman of Endurance
~ Potion of Foolhardiness

BSB- 168 pts.
~Guardian Phoenix
~Armor of Caledor
~Great Weapon

Spearmen - 250 pts.
~25 Spearman with full command

White Lions - 240 pts.
~ 13 White Lions with full command
~ Banner of Eternal Flame
~ Ironcurse Icon

2x Great Eagles - 100 pts.

Total- 1000 pts.

With this setup I'd put both the Prince & BSB with the White Lions to give them so added CQB punch and for the fact that the unit is stubborn.

I hope that helps.

Red_Lep
23-10-2010, 08:51
It would depend on how often you'd have to take Ld based tests in each phase. Since you don't have a mage or any shooting I'd think you'd might have to make quite a few tests in each round as you start to take casulties in those phases. I think it would probably be better if you elimnate one or the other to get more troops in there (probably The Prince as he eats up a lot of points). My main concern with your force is that there isn't much shooting or mobile units to counteract faster moving units or war machines. I wrote up an alternate list with most of your choices intact but removed the chariot to give you a couple of great eagles for war machine hunting duties. I also selected a kit for your Prince if you're still planning to go with that set up:

Prince- 242 pts.
~Great Weapon
~Armor of Silver Steel
~Tailsman of Endurance
~ Potion of Foolhardiness

BSB- 168 pts.
~Guardian Phoenix
~Armor of Caledor
~Great Weapon

Spearmen - 250 pts.
~25 Spearman with full command

White Lions - 240 pts.
~ 13 White Lions with full command
~ Banner of Eternal Flame
~ Ironcurse Icon

2x Great Eagles - 100 pts.

Total- 1000 pts.

With this setup I'd put both the Prince & BSB with the White Lions to give them so added CQB punch and for the fact that the unit is stubborn.

I hope that helps.

Thanks!

So far, what you suggested is better than any 1000pts that I've been able to come up with. My only concern is that it only has 2 units. I tried making a 1500pt list and came up with this:

EDIT: Old List

Does this look effective? More importantly, does it look fun to play with/against?

23-10-2010, 10:39
Thanks!

So far, what you suggested is better than any 1000pts that I've been able to come up with. My only concern is that it only has 2 units. I tried making a 1500pt list and came up with this:

Heroes- 308

Korhil- 140

BSB- 168
~Armor of Caledor
~Guardian Phoenix
~Great Weapon
.................................................. ....................................
Core- 392

Spearmen(19)- 206
~Standard Bearer
~Musician
~Warbanner

Spearmen(19)- 186
~Standard Bearer
~Musician
.................................................. ....................................
Special- 700

2x White Lions(14)- 210

2x Lion Chariot- 140
Rare- 100

2x Great Eagle-50
Total- 1500

Does this look effective? More importantly, does it look fun to play with/against?

While I think it's going to be very effective in close combat I still think you're lacking in terms of magic and ranged fire support. The strength of a high elf army is that you have a lot of great specialized troops that work well togther using combined arms tactics. While I don't think your army is built for W.A.A.C. and probably would be enjoyable to play against you have very noticable weaknesses that an opponent can take advantage of. If your opponent fields some type of gunline with wizard support I don't know if your troops will get to their intent target intact.

However that being said at least war machines won't be as hard to deal with since you have 2 great eagles to attack them with. If you have the choice of terrain during set up remember to place a few woods down as the White Lions can traverse those type of terrain with ease due to their strider ability and should provide you with some cover in your advance.

I hope that helps.

Red_Lep
23-10-2010, 14:58
While I don't want to take a Mage right now because it would eat up too many points(I'd like to keep Korhil & the BSB), how would you recommend the ranged fire support? I could make any of our ranged units, but from what I've been told by others is that in this edition all of our ranged shooting units are not a good choice. What are your experiences?

D'Haran
23-10-2010, 15:20
Keep in mind that at 1k some versatile units such as Seaguard and a RBT or two can devastate many armies before they reach you. That said some of your opponents may very well be playing this way as well.

Red_Lep
25-10-2010, 14:11
I've changed the list up and was wondering how it looked:

Lord- 280

Archmage- 280
~Forlariath's Robe
~Silver Wand
**Hide in Archers
Heroes- 168

BSB- 168
~Guardian Phoenix
~Armor of Caledor
~Great Weapon
**Spearmen
Core- 396

Spearmen(29)- 286
~Full Command

Archers(10)- 110
Special- 548

White Lions(12)- 198
~Standard Bearer
~Musician

White Lion Chariot- 140

2x Silver Helms(5)- 105
Rare- 100

2x Great Eagle- 50
Total- 1492

It now has some light shooting(mostly for weaker flanking units) and magic.

puckus10
26-10-2010, 01:32
idk dude, i dont even consider my normal list chracian but i have a unit of 20WL's and 2 WL chariots. i think you need more chrace to consider it chrace!!;)

edit: and thats in 2k

Red_Lep
26-10-2010, 02:19
idk dude, i dont even consider my normal list chracian but i have a unit of 20WL's and 2 WL chariots. i think you need more chrace to consider it chrace!!;)

edit: and thats in 2k

I'll give you that, at this point it is not very Chracian. My problem is I only have 15 WLs and 2 WLCs at this point in time and I've had some unexpected expenses come up so I won't be buying more at this time. I can however show you what my 3000 will look like:

Lord- 729

Prince- 449
~Blade of Leaping Gold
~Enchanted Shield
~Potion of Strength
~Dragon Armor
~Griffon

Archmage- 280
~Forlaith's Robe
~Silver Wand
Heroes- 303

BSB- 168
~Guardian Phoenix
~Armor of Caledor
~Great Weapon

Mage- 135
~Level 2
Core- 858

3x Spearmen(29)- 286
~Full Command
Special- 910

2x White Lions(14)- 210

2x Silver Helms(5)- 105

2x White Lion Chariot- 140
Rare- 200

4x Great Eagle- 50
.................................................. ........................
Total- 3000

26-10-2010, 10:31
I've changed the list up and was wondering how it looked:

Lord- 280

Archmage- 280
~Forlariath's Robe
~Silver Wand
**Hide in Archers
Heroes- 168

BSB- 168
~Guardian Phoenix
~Armor of Caledor
~Great Weapon
**Spearmen
Core- 396

Spearmen(29)- 286
~Full Command

Archers(10)- 110
Special- 548

White Lions(12)- 198
~Standard Bearer
~Musician

White Lion Chariot- 140

2x Silver Helms(5)- 105
Rare- 100

2x Great Eagle- 50
Total- 1492

It now has some light shooting(mostly for weaker flanking units) and magic.

I like this list better but to be honest I'm not all that crazy about the silver helms (not as killy as Dragon Princes and less tactical options than Reavers) and the White Lion unit might have trouble surviving more than 2 rounds of combat. I tweaked your list again and I'm assuming you have additional figures in your collection other than what you've listed in the 3000 pts. list:

4th lvl. Archmage: 315 pts.
Forlarith's Robe & Silver Wand

BSB: 168 pts.
Great weapon, Guardian Phoenix, & Armor of Caledor

Archers: 110 pts.
10 Archers

Spearman: 265 pts.
25 Spearman with full command & Banner of Swiftness

White Lions: 290 pts.
17 White Lions with full command & Guardian equipped with Ironcurse Icon.

White Lion Chariot: 140 pts.

Ellryian Reavers: 112 pts.
4 Reavers & muisican with bows & spears

2 Great Eagles: 100 pts.

Total: 1500 pts.

I bumped up the numbers on the White Lions so you can at least field field 3 ranks / 5 man frontage for the unit with a couple of spare lions to absorb casualties (or insert the BSB for 3 ranks of 6 man frontage). In addition I gave the Guardian the Ironcurse Icon as an added protection against warmachines. I've included the Reavers for some additional shooting, general harrassment, & war machine hunting duties to support the eagles. Consider giving the Archmage Lore of Life to keep the army in the fight due to the small numbers in the main CQB units or Lore of Shadows to mindrazor either the spearman or the WLs when they get into close combat. I hope this helps.

Red_Lep
26-10-2010, 15:49
I've been warned that while the new Reavers look great, they are not that effective for their points. I will give them a try though because I really like the look of the new ones.

Any other thoughts or advice?

27-10-2010, 03:48
I've been warned that while the new Reavers look great, they are not that effective for their points. I will give them a try though because I really like the look of the new ones.

Any other thoughts or advice?

Well if you charge them head long into a unit of spearmen or keep them within range of a mage that can fry you at 24" then by all means they aren't very effective. ;)

However use them to harrass small troop units with bowfire while threating flank/rear charges they can be used with great effect (especially when the unit in question is facing down the White Lions and the chariot from a frontal assault).

I don't really have anything else to add execept good luck and good hunting to you, my fellow elf brother!!! Do the Asur proud! :D