PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's help with WoC

llama_egg
23-10-2010, 01:58
Inc; Wall of text! :D

Hey guys, finally getting off my butt and starting my Warriors of Chaos army, sure, it helps how a few of my friends are hounding me to get a 2250 point army together by January for a little in town tourney they're apparently planning to hold. Doubt I'll win, but heck, half the fun of gaming is the joy of the watching the stress and joy of a game unfold!

Either way, been reading, and reading, and reading about the units, items, numbers which I'm pretty sure cause my head to implode trying to understand, so I'm hoping some guys could point me in the right direction!

On Monday night I'm probably ordering the army book along with a Battalion, I might not get it for a bit considering I'm not ordering from GW, but whatever. I also already have the brick of a rulebook.

So here's the question, where do I go next? Not sure if it's really worth grabbing a second Battalion box as to the best of my knowledge Chaos Knights aren't really worth fielding anymore, and people seem to have huge mixed opinions of Marauders. From what I understand marauders are only worth it when buffed with tons of items, which at that point you might as well just grab more warriors instead. Because of that is it maybe just better to start grabbing boxes of Warriors and whatnot instead?

Sadly can't really start grabbing heroes/rare's until I get the rule book and start seeing points and abilities, but god as my witness, if possible at all I will field the Khorne Chaos Lord w/ Jugger. To amazing looking of a piece to pass up!

Anywho, thanks for any nudges in the right direction!

Draconian77
23-10-2010, 02:15
Well, if you have the battalion then a second box of Marauders and a second box of Warriors should be your next purchases. Then, obviously, a hero to lead the force. The Jugger Lord is having a bit of difficulty these days to the best of my knowledge, as there is no place to hide him. However, my friends have been experimenting with the following set up which is quite nasty...

Chaos Lord, Mark of Khorne, Jugger, Crimson Armour of Dargan, Dawnstone, Crown of Command and then either a Halberd or a Great Weapon. Costs an aweful lot of points but he's a monster...

Marauders are actually very good. The common builds include large units (30+) of either Khornate Marauders with Great Weapons (S5 A2 = hammer) or Tzeentch Marauders with Shields (5+ Ward = anvil).

As for the Warriors, well, it doesn't matter what you do to these guys, they are always awesome. Halberds and Shields + Mark of Khorne seems to be the most common build.

Chaos Knights aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination. Some people are just overeacting to 8th editions changes. A small unit of 7 with the Banner of Rage will grind any horde to dust within a rounds of combat. (Don't bother with the Champion though...he is overpriced.)

After you have all that, just add a Sorceror and a Bsb and you are very close to 2250. I'll throw up a sample list a little bit later.

Christophbs
23-10-2010, 02:21
Hello there. I just started chaos warriors in the last two weeks and I must say the warriors of chaos battalion is THE way to go. The knights can easily be made into chosen or Heroes allowing you to game straight out of the box.

Just a visual of options with the two units combined. http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/archive/index.php/thread-4514.html

I would also love to point of that marauders are an awesome unit. Sticking with only warriors for your core might leave you very undermanned and overwhelmed. I suggest a unit of 20 marauders (Get that many in the battalion!) with hand weapon and shield to bolster the ranks. With light armor, shield, and full command your only at 140 points.

saitani
23-10-2010, 02:28
Marauders is a much better choice than warriors becouse of the diffrence in points and thay have above avrage stats. You get 4 marauders for 1 chaos warriors armed with a shield. But if you want quality there is nothing above and nothing beside a chaos warrior they are the best infatery in game when it comes to killyness and surviabilety but you pay the price for that they are expensive. marauders is best used in hordes of 30-40 with great weapons or halberds and mark of khorne with full comand this unit will only cost you 250p yes thats 41 attacks with str5 for 250p.

When it comes to buying another battalion i would strongly advice aginst it you dont need another 10 chaos hounds or an aditional 5 knights if you dont intend to use them.
so get your self a few more boxes of marauders and warriors, You will also need a bsb and a sorcerer or 2 i recomend a level 4 and a level 2 with the lores you think fits your army. When it comes to special and rare choices you can get some chaos ogres with ahw and chaos armour with mark of khorne for some extra carnage that will give you 24 str 4 attacks a 4+ as and 3 str 4 stomps if you field a unit of 6. Not a cheap unit but they are fast and can soak up a fair bit of damage. A warshrine is always fun:) Got some nice buffs and can soak up a good deal of damage if you give it a mark of tzeentch.

Draconian77
23-10-2010, 03:45
This is just a sample list using 1 Battalion, 1 box of Marauders, 1 box of Chaos Warriors and a 3 heroes, including the Juggernaut mounted Chaos Lord.

Chaos Lord, Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut of Khorne, Halberd, Crown of Command, Dawnstone, Crimson Armour of Dargan.
Total = 383

Exalted, Bsb, Mark of Tzeentch, Rune of Preservation, Halberd.
Total = 194

Sorcerer, Level 2, Infernal Puppet, The Other Tricksters Shard.
Total = 170

5 Chaos Knights, Musician and Standard Bearer, Banner of Rage.
Total = 265

36 Marauders, Full Command, Mark of Khorne, Great Weapons.
Total = 230

24 Chaos Warriors, Full Command, Mark of Khorne, Halberds and Shields, Banner of Eternal Flame.
Total = 478

5 Warhounds
Total = 30

5 Warhounds
Total = 30

Total = 1780

That takes a chunk out of the 2250 target and gives you a very reasonable list with plenty of room for anything else that you might want. A Hellcannon, some Trolls, more infantry...etc. (I would boost the Knight unit by 2-3 models though...you know, it may actually be worthwhile getting a second Battlion after all.) As for tactics well, that's probably a discussion for another thread. Everything has a role though, even the much maligned Warhounds. (Deployment drops, essentially.)

This is Warseers Warriors of Chaos tactics thread; http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5071315#post5071315
This is Avians tactics page; http://www.avianon.net/subpage.php?s=index_tactics
(I'm not sure if Avians site has been updated for 8th edition though.)

Eta
23-10-2010, 10:46
A second battalion box isn't a bad idea. You will be able to field a big unit of warriors and a marauder horde. You will have enough warhounds to screen and redirect for battles up to 3,000 points. With ten knights you can either take two units of them (they are still very good and have not disappointed me, yet) or build one bigger unit of seven or eight and use the spare parts of the knights and warriors to build some character models.

You would have a very good basis for later expansions and be able to practice with games in the 1,500 points region until you buy more models.

Example list:

Sorcerer
extra level, Spell Familiar, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Endurance

Exalted Hero
BSB, shield, Talisman of Preservation, Biting Blade

20 Chaos Warriors
Shields, (halberds), full command (with some magical banner)

40 Marauders
Shields or greatweapons, full command

4x5 Warhounds

7 Chaos Knights
some magical standard, musician

Alltogether the list is 1,370 points without marks and magical standards, you should not have difficulties to reach the 1,500 points mark.

Greetings
Eta

edit: A box of Chaos Spawn is a good buy, too. They may not be as good as they have been in the last edition, but the amount of bits you get in the box is great (lots of tentacles, spikes, extra heads, eyes, slimy bits etc.). Opens up a whole world of conversion and mutation possibilities for your army.

Evil Hypnotist
23-10-2010, 17:09
When I started I was determined to have a warrior only force but will be buying myself a unit of 50 marauders next month. As awesome as the warriors are I have found myself outnumbered (although watching 3 of them munch their way through a HE spearmen unit made me smile).

Knights are fantastic, but I don't think you need more than a unit of 5, with the mark of Nurgle they are quite difficult to kill and are rock hard in combat, breaking most units in 1 round in my experience.

I always take a chariot, they can really make the difference when thrown into combat alongside another unit. A Lord and/or sorcerer model, to go in with the troops or knights is a definite requirement too.

Zangor
23-10-2010, 20:42
I think it is a good idea to add plenty of both marauders and warriors because they are both great choices. A few small units of hounds are good to include as well, and a unit of knights/ogres/trolls can be very fun and effective. Another very popular choice is the hellcannon.

Marauders and warriors can both be equipped and marked in a number of ways and serve a variety of purposes. As a beginner it may be a good idea to get some experience on how to use the these two types of troops, since they are the backbone of your army. If you have plenty marauder and warrior models, you can try out a number of different ways to field them, to see how you like each option.

Razorwire
23-10-2010, 22:34
Based on 2 battalion boxes I have stated up this 2000 pt WoC army

Sorcerer Lord
Level 4, MoT, Disk, Talisman of Preservation, Infernal Puppet, Warrior Bane
395 points

Exalted Hero
BSB, MoT, Favour of the Gods, Rending Sword, Enchanted Shield
205 Points

40 Marauders
MoK, GW, FC
250 points

24 Warriors
MoT, Shields, FC, Blasted Standard
474 points

10 Warhounds
60 points

7 warhounds
42 points

5 Knights
MoK, Standard Bearer, Musician, War Banner
285 Points

5 Knights
MoN, Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Rage

Total 1996 points and that would allow you to add a hell cannon for 2250 points. 2 battalion boxes, 1 Tzeentch Champion on Disk and a Chaos Champion is all you need to buy.

Hope it helps

llama_egg
24-10-2010, 02:50
Ah, exactly what I was looking for! As I don't have my army book yet I've been unsure about point costs and what-not, so it definitely gives me a push in the right direction as a start. Also nice to see it'll be easy to field a Hellcannon, screw the miss-casts on that thing, it's pure entertainment!

Two Battalions are surprisingly looking to be a good start, I was a bit worried I would end up not using half the stuff in the box, but I guess it partly depends if I intend to field 10 Knights or not. If not it would probably be better just to buy a box of Marauders and Warriors.

I do have another question though, how are marks done visually? I don't really intend to paint in regards to who they follow, but instead a uniform design (unsure if I'll go for a dark red/orange theme or Slaanesh colors which look pretty sharp). I originally thought it was done through banners but it doesn't seem to be that way.

Seville
24-10-2010, 05:55
No, don't worry at all about visually representing the marks. I don't. What I did was use 40k 25mm round bases and put the respective icons on them and paint them appropriately. I put them next to the unit to represent which mark it has. Viola. It looks cool and opponents know what they're up against.

You'll use the 10 knights. Knights are still great in this edition. You are no longer required to take 20 of them like you were last edition, but, they're still really nasty. They're hard to kill and hit like a ton of bricks.

Wakerofgods
24-10-2010, 06:52
I'm not sure if there was any argument about the effectiveness of marauders?

30+ marauders with great weapons, full command and probally khrone are just amazing.

I think chaos knights are fine, they have extremely good offensive stats so seem to be the exception to the idea that cavalry aren't worth it any more. Small units of 5 chaos knights clean up most enemy small units!

I play warriors of chaos and the main thing I've learnt so far is to use big units of infantry. 12 chaos warriors die too easily and I think my marauder unit would do a lot better at 50 instead of 30.

Seville
24-10-2010, 07:20
Agreed with Waker's points. Admittedly, I haven't played a ton of 8th, but I find that my unit of 40 GW-armed Khorne marauders is just sick. Dishes out a lot of damage and seems to take forever for my opponents to kill off.

I like units of 15 warriors, but some people seem to like 20. I can't really see the benefit to the extra 5, but perhaps someone here can elaborate.

Maelstorm
24-10-2010, 16:29
Ive been playing warriors for a while now, and my tip is , other that the battalion, get more infantry. WoC have what probably is the best cheap infantry and the best expensive infantry. Also, mauraders kick so much ass itīs unbeliveble. Warriors can take alsmot anything head on, and knights still do good.
The problem with knights is that they lose so much damage output when even one of them dies. That is why i go double chariot instead (converted a corpsecart into a warshrine / chariot..looks cool and can be used for multiple purposes :D)

Also, get a hellcannon, they are amazing. The downside is that the model costs way to much. Anyone got any good prox-tip?

So: good things you need:
Lvl 4 lord
bsb on foot
chariot(s)
warriors
mauraders
hellcannon
warhounds

things that work:
knights
jugge-hero
trolls
warsrhine
horsmen
dragon-lord (if played careful)^^

things to avoid:
ogres
every rarechoice except hellcannon and shrine
forsaken

thats about it..questions?
/Maelstorm

Ghostinthemachine
28-10-2010, 04:51
What's wrong with Ogres?

Surely Ogres with mark of Khorne with chaos armour and GWs would make a smear out of just about anything, imho.

mrtn
28-10-2010, 10:34
What's wrong with Ogres?

Surely Ogres with mark of Khorne with chaos armour and GWs would make a smear out of just about anything, imho.

What's wrong with the ogres is the WS 3. It's far to easy to flub your attacks. You can't make a smear out of something you can't hit. I've had Khorne ogres with GW run down by night goblins.
Granted, I haven't played WoC since 7th, but I think my point still stands.

Rochr
28-10-2010, 19:15
When I started my WoC army I just bought three battalions at the same time. That is roughly 120 britsh pounds from say http://www.giftsforgeeks.org.uk/ which is pretty much all you need in terms of regular troops to build even a 3000 Pts list.

36 Warriors
60 Marauders
30 Warhounds
15 Knights.

Add a few heroes and a rare choice and your fine.

Hashulaman
28-10-2010, 20:28
All my attempts with GW marauders have ended with the unit wiped out by my second turn of combat if not the opponents first, after the unit has been shot up so much they have lost that 3rd rank of supporting attacks.

Eta
28-10-2010, 20:52
All my attempts with GW marauders have ended with the unit wiped out by my second turn of combat if not the opponents first, after the unit has been shot up so much they have lost that 3rd rank of supporting attacks.

Excellent, so the rest of your army should have reached close combat largely intact.

Greetings
Eta

Xzazzarai
30-10-2010, 02:03
Sometimes they are worth not hoarding, mostly becuse they have 25x25 bases, which makes it less efficient to hoard them. I never hoard mine, but keep them 6 wide. That way they can hit a lot (18 attacks) and still have the most ranks. Winding them up in hoard means you get 3-4 ranks, which your enemy easily can outnumber.

But as for pretty much anything, try and see how you like it. Warhammer is like food, everyone likes differnet things (even if GW-mauraders are the bacon of warhammer :D)