PDA

View Full Version : wounds and fight back

Leonathion
23-10-2010, 18:44
sorry but I just can't catch it.

If I kill of every model that could hit back in my opponents unit, me hitting first with higher initiative. Does he still get to fight back (since he hasnšt lost his initiative phase)?

sorry if it's been up before.

Thanks!

Korraz
23-10-2010, 19:01
I suggest to read the combat rules.

RMacDeezy
23-10-2010, 20:21
more specifically (and helpfully), BRB p51 under 'remove casualties.'

Kalandros
23-10-2010, 20:56
The only time you lose attacks is if there are less models in base contact or less in the 2nd(3rd for horde) rank, after removing casualties. Since you remove them from the back, this doesn't happen until the 2nd rank starts being reduced

T10
24-10-2010, 10:39
If I kill of every model that could hit back in my opponents unit, me hitting first with higher initiative. Does he still get to fight back (since he hasnšt lost his initiative phase)?

The rules for who can fight has had a major change since 7th edition. As a rule of thumb, casualties caused by models with high initiative won't reduce the number of models fighting back. You no longer need to keep track of which models were in a position to fight at the start of the combat. Instead you can tell at a glance which models get to fight when their initiative count comes up.

When fighting large units, this means that the enemy is nearly guaranteed to get to fight with a full number of eligible models: The full first rank plus one or more supporting ranks.

For smaller units, casualties may indeed affect the number of models fighting back; first reducing the number of supporting attacks and finally the number of first-rank attacks.

-T10

Leonathion
24-10-2010, 18:02
Thanks for the answers guys! It different from before, quite right. I got the rulebook, but I think it's quite vaguely stated. I guess it's the "if a model is killed before its turn to strike, it does not fight" text, but I'm thinking the wrong way, not taking knights and small units, characters etc into account, which is indeed very affected by this.

Thanks yet again guys, I'm with you in the mindset now.

Cheers!