PDA

View Full Version : DD question - Combat - Pursuit

DeathlessDraich
24-10-2010, 13:20
Some rules on pg 57, 58, 60

A pursuing unit cannot end its move within 1" of friendly units etc.

Q1) Does everyone agree that during a pursuit the 1" rules does not apply?

Q2) If so, how would you resolve a multiple combat where 2 units (A) and (B) pursue and roll very small pursuit distances.
No matter which pursuit is resolved first, (A) and/or (B) ends up on top of the other or within 1".

Would you then
a) Not move (A) and (B) at all even if they are practically touching each other - creating a possible irretrievable log jam
b) Separate (A) and (B) 1" apart without moving them
c) Move 1 unit at least and then displace the other 1"

Any other suggestions?
Thank you in advance :)

Grimskarr
24-10-2010, 13:29
A1) The 1" rule is hard and fast EXCEPT during charges. Period.

A2) First, compare the dice rolled for the fleeing unit and the pursuing unit. If the pursuing unit equals or beats the flee roll, then the fleeing unit is destroyed.

NOW, resolve the actual moving of the units. If the fleeing unit has managed to escape it will take a Dangerous Terrain test if it flees through another enemy unit. The pursuing unit will STOP an 1" away from its friendly unit. If the fleeing unit escapes and multiple units are pursuing then resolve as per the diagram on page 61.

T10
24-10-2010, 14:14
Any other suggestions?

When pursuing a fleeing enemy you will often be required to turn the pursuing unit on the spot to face the same direction as the fleeing unit. In this case it may be that the two units overlap. In this case it might be necessary to move the unit a bit further than the pursuit roll would allow in order to move clear of the other unit (and establish a 1 in. gap between them).

The situation can arise where the pursuing unit simply cannot fit (due to interposing units and terrain). In this case I'd need to udge any number of units around for everything to fit. I would discuss the specifics with my opponent in order to ensure that this is done in a mutually agreeable manner.

This is after all not a computer game but a table-top game where we can resolve unexpected situations without the game crashing!

-T10

solkan
24-10-2010, 18:59
The diagram on page 61 clearly illustrates this situation, and how the rules for it work. The 1" rule applies, it is clearly illustrated.

As described on page 60, the player controlling the pursuing units chooses the order in which they move, and if that happens to cause one or the other friendly units to obstruct the others, that is what happens.

DeathlessDraich
25-10-2010, 12:53
The diagram on page 61 clearly illustrates this situation, and how the rules for it work. The 1" rule applies, it is clearly illustrated.

As described on page 60, the player controlling the pursuing units chooses the order in which they move, and if that happens to cause one or the other friendly units to obstruct the others, that is what happens.

Pg 61 does not provide the answer unfortunately. The situation I've described is,
using pg 61, when the smaller spearmen unit is further back.
When moving the first pursuing unit, it ends on top of, or within 1" of the other spearmen unit.
The same happens with the second pursuing unit
i.e. there is no space to resolve the exact pursuit dice rolls no matter which pursuer is chosen first.

Would you
i) displace one or more pursuing units sideways to enable all pursuits - ending with pursuing units side by side even though they shouldn't be
ii) separate the units with a 1" spacing but not move them anymore
iii) Use T10's method allowing, nudges, pursuit moves> pursuit dice roll to maintain 1" separation - see below.
iv) use some other method?

All methods of course require mutual agreement but what do you think is the most reasonable and equitable general guideline.

When pursuing a fleeing enemy you will often be required to turn the pursuing unit on the spot to face the same direction as the fleeing unit. In this case it may be that the two units overlap. In this case it might be necessary to move the unit a bit further than the pursuit roll would allow in order to move clear of the other unit (and establish a 1 in. gap between them).

The situation can arise where the pursuing unit simply cannot fit (due to interposing units and terrain). In this case I'd need to nudge any number of units around for everything to fit. I would discuss the specifics with my opponent in order to ensure that this is done in a mutually agreeable manner.

This is after all not a computer game but a table-top game where we can resolve unexpected situations without the game crashing!

-T10

Can I sum that up as

1) Mutually agree to create space needed by nudging etc so 1" rule is obeyed while trying o keep as close as possible to actual pursuit rolls
2) Maintain final facing of pursuers relative to line of flight

Atrahasis
25-10-2010, 13:36
Perhaps a diagram would better illustrate the point you're trying to raise for discussion?