PDA

View Full Version : DD questions - Combat - Challenges

DeathlessDraich
24-10-2010, 13:26
A challenge where 1 combatant is slain before all attacks by the other combatant have not been resolved e.g. Red Fury or Unstoppable assault.

The unresolved hits all auto hit - pg 4 (WS=0) but would you

1) Auto wound - T=0 since the other combatant has been slain.
2) Roll To wound and discounts any 1s.

Thanks in advance :)

Chris_
24-10-2010, 13:49
I am not sure I understand the situation... It is a challenge and you strike everything in initiative order as normal, if the combatant is slain when it is the turn for the mount to strike it gets to do no attacks at all. Clearly spelled out on pg. 103.

DeathlessDraich
24-10-2010, 14:16
Oops sorry wrong example which I have rectified - It's Red Fury or Unstoppable assault.

- additional attacks after wounding or inflicted wounds.

Red Fury FAQ states - it gains attacks even if the model is slain but only from those on its profile

T10
24-10-2010, 14:22
A challenge where 1 combatant is slain before all attacks by the other combatant have not been resolved e.g. Red Fury or Unstoppable assault.

The unresolved hits all auto hit - pg 4 (WS=0) but would you

1) Auto wound - T=0 since the other combatant has been slain.
2) Roll To wound and discounts any 1s.

Thanks in advance :)

If the guy is dead he doesn't have WS 0, he's dead and you can't attack him any more.

It seems reasonable to assume that the target character ultimately dies at the end of the current initiative count and is thus an eligible for these bonus attacks.After all, if he had the same initiative as the attacker he'd still get to fight back before being removed as a casualty.

-T10

DeathlessDraich
24-10-2010, 14:28
So you would disallow bonus attacks because 'it takes 2 to tango' applies to combat? - does that include Sword Gnoblar, Familiar's attacks as well
- same Initiative IIRC

Tarian
24-10-2010, 14:31
I'd discount any bonus attacks that happen after the current I level. If a bonus attack come from Knightly Temper, Red Fury, etc, they can keep attacking at their current I, once this is done, there's no more overkill (in my opinion.)

Lord Inquisitor
24-10-2010, 14:46
All attacks are made at a given initiative vale as if simultaneous even if sequential within the initiative step. So if red fury was enough to kill the challenger in the first round of attacks, you still get the bonus attacks and the challenger isnt dead (yet) so is attacked normally. Only attacks at a lower initiative step are lost.

T10
24-10-2010, 14:50
So you would disallow bonus attacks because 'it takes 2 to tango' applies to combat? - does that include Sword Gnoblar, Familiar's attacks as well
- same Initiative IIRC

Nothing of the sort. I'd allow them if they are in the same initiative count.

-T10

DeathlessDraich
24-10-2010, 15:58
If a bonus attack come from Knightly Temper, Red Fury, etc, they can keep attacking at their current I, once this is done, there's no more overkill (in my opinion.)

So if red fury was enough to kill the challenger in the first round of attacks, you still get the bonus attacks and the challenger isnt dead (yet) so is attacked normally. Only attacks at a lower initiative step are lost.

Nothing of the sort. I'd allow them if they are in the same initiative count.

-T10

Which is the original question - how would you resolve these additional/bonus attacks when the attacked model is already slain.

auto hit & autowound
or autohit and roll to wound

Eta
24-10-2010, 16:28
Which is the original question - how would you resolve these additional/bonus attacks when the attacked model is already slain.

auto hit & autowound
or autohit and roll to wound

The point is that it is not already slain because you are still making attacks with the same initiative in the case of Red Fury. You have to roll to hit and wound as normal and your opponent may make any saves he is allowed to take.

Greetings
Eta

Lord Inquisitor
24-10-2010, 18:19
Agreed - they're not already slain as models aren't removed until all simultaneous attacks at that initiative step are resolved.

Haravikk
24-10-2010, 18:26
Since it's all occurring within the same Initiative step (same with a rider and mount with same Initiative, not sure if there are any, Saurus on cold ones maybe?) then I say you get to roll the dice. However, since it's assumed that all this is happening simultaneously, then you would roll as if the target were still alive, just like you do when two equal initiative opponents fight.

Atrahasis
25-10-2010, 09:45
What the others have said. Everything at one initiative step is simultaneous, even if some of them depend on others.

DeathlessDraich
25-10-2010, 12:56
Question resolved.
Thank you everybody