PDA

View Full Version : Hellcannon Question

WizzyWarlock
24-10-2010, 15:58
Hey all,

I've been wondering about the Hellcannon and it's abilities. When it hits with its ranged attack, does it cause multiple wounds? I'm really not sure. The usual Stone Thrower causes multiple wounds, but this is no ordinary Stone Thrower - it has increased Strength and the stats of a Monster, plus a -1 Panic Test for any unit taking casualties, and on a misfire a chance of wiping out all the Wizards on the table. Seems like a lot for a 205pt model.

The thing that makes me wonder is under it's rules it says that it, "Fires like a Stone Thrower.". It then states the strengths, but no mention of multiple wounds. Does the 'fires like' part relate only to that, that you use the rules for firing it as a stone thrower, but use the strength and damage listed under the Hellcannon rules?

It would certainly help balance it out, as it already has the stats of a monster plus higher strength than any other stone thrower, surely that should be enough?

Yellow Commissar
24-10-2010, 16:13
The Hellcannon rules are a mess. We basically have to house rule the entire thing, otherwise it doesn't even get to use the handlers leadership.

Anyway, reads to me that hits under the center hole cause d6 hits.

DeathlessDraich
24-10-2010, 16:17
The BRB Stone Thrower is the default stone thrower and has a "unless otherwise specified" clause

reddevil18
24-10-2010, 16:56
An add on to the question
It causes d6 wounds under the hole, if that lands on a single wound model (or you cause more wounds then the model has) will the wounds tranfer onto other models?

Eta
24-10-2010, 17:15
An add on to the question
It causes d6 wounds under the hole, if that lands on a single wound model (or you cause more wounds then the model has) will the wounds tranfer onto other models?

No, they will not transfer.

Greetings
Eta

DwD
24-10-2010, 18:28
Another somewhat basic question about the Hellcannon. If I fly an eagle into it, can it fire on someone else or is it blocked until my eagle is dead?

WizzyWarlock
24-10-2010, 18:45
The Hellcannon rules are a mess. We basically have to house rule the entire thing, otherwise it doesn't even get to use the handlers leadership.

Anyway, reads to me that hits under the center hole cause d6 hits.
I'm reading it that the panic test is replacing the D6 wounds, but I don't know. It's a bit of a weird one to read, I really wish GW would clarify everything a bit more, there are so many vaguaries in the books.

Eta
24-10-2010, 21:00
Another somewhat basic question about the Hellcannon. If I fly an eagle into it, can it fire on someone else or is it blocked until my eagle is dead?

If you engage the Hellcannon in close combat it cannot fire. However, one eagle will not last a single combat phase against the hungry demon ;).

I'm reading it that the panic test is replacing the D6 wounds, but I don't know. It's a bit of a weird one to read, I really wish GW would clarify everything a bit more, there are so many vaguaries in the books.

I disagree, the Hellcannon shoots like a stone thrower with a modified strength of 5(10) and causes panic tests for units it hits. The "shoots like a stone thrower" phrase makes it clear that besides the two modifications in the armybook entry it has all other properties of a stone thrower for shooting. Hence, the model under the hole suffers D6 wounds.

Greetings
Eta

dude.sweet101@yahoo.co.uk
24-10-2010, 22:41
It is a stonethrower in the shooting phase only-it pivots,fires and scatters, s5/10, d6 wounds etc

Simples

Seville
25-10-2010, 07:27
If you engage the Hellcannon in close combat it cannot fire. However, one eagle will not last a single combat phase against the hungry demon ;).

I disagree, the Hellcannon shoots like a stone thrower with a modified strength of 5(10) and causes panic tests for units it hits. The "shoots like a stone thrower" phrase makes it clear that besides the two modifications in the armybook entry it has all other properties of a stone thrower for shooting. Hence, the model under the hole suffers D6 wounds.

Greetings
Eta

Exactly right, and the whole "fires as a stone thrower" thing also means it can't move and fire, even though it is a monster. It is, in all respects, a stone thrower when it fires, except for the strength bonus and panic check.

The Grim
25-10-2010, 07:34
I heard the case recently of a friend who was trying to gun down a Hellcannon with his own canon, reaches it, wounds, save is failed and then the Hellcannon owner tells him that now he has to randomize between the crew and the canon. Is this right?

WizzyWarlock
25-10-2010, 08:37
By the rules, I think so. It's a Monster & Handler so 5+ and it's the crew that get hit.

Harwammer
25-10-2010, 12:04
This is how you resolve hits on your Hell Cannon:
Hit Hellcannon, roll to wound, roll armour, roll ward save, roll handler 'save', roll for multiple wounds.

The handler save is pretty sweet as it effectively negates the multiple wound roll a third of the time :D

Pavulon
25-10-2010, 18:01
So when you charge the hellcannon, do the dwarves rank up beside it and you fight whoever is b2b, or do you treat it as a warmachine and send your best 6 in to fight the cannon (counts as 5 models) and 1 dwarf?

What happens to the dwarves if the cannon dies?

Can the HC move and fire?

Irakaz
25-10-2010, 18:08
In close combat you are just fighting the Hellcannon alone, no more dwarfs lining up, although if some are alive they are able to strike back.

When the cannon dies they jump into the cannons maw and are removed from play.

The hellcannon cannot move and fire.

Pavulon
25-10-2010, 18:12
So if I send my 6 best infantry into the hellcannon, they all strike at the hellcannon. Why would multiple dwarves be able to strike back? I understand how 1 can strike.

Irakaz
25-10-2010, 18:17
They follow monster/handler rules so they can direct their attacks to any enemy in base combat with cannon.

Pavulon
25-10-2010, 18:19
Okay, so we've been playing it via the assault on warmachines rules, which you are saying is wrong. We should be assaulting it using the monster/handler rules. Guess there is a difference between a monster that shoots like a warmachine and a warmachine that fights like a monster.
Now since I'm at work and don't have a RB with me, how do you know which people can swing at the HC? It doesn't really have a base to see how many folx can touch it, or do you go back to the warmachine rules and I send my best 6 people?

Ramius4
25-10-2010, 18:22
So if I send my 6 best infantry into the hellcannon, they all strike at the hellcannon. Why would multiple dwarves be able to strike back? I understand how 1 can strike.

Because it's treated Monster and Handlers. Read the rules for them and all will be explained.

Unless you're shooting with it, the war machine rules are irrelevant.

Quinn
25-10-2010, 19:19
Okay, so we've been playing it via the assault on warmachines rules, which you are saying is wrong. We should be assaulting it using the monster/handler rules. Guess there is a difference between a monster that shoots like a warmachine and a warmachine that fights like a monster.
Now since I'm at work and don't have a RB with me, how do you know which people can swing at the HC? It doesn't really have a base to see how many folx can touch it, or do you go back to the warmachine rules and I send my best 6 people?

I own 3 Hell-cannons and based them all, although I wasn't sure what size base to use (since it won't fit on a 50mm wide base) at first. When I measured the widest point of the model it came to 60mm. So that is what I use for the width of the model, even though the actual base is a bit wider in order to model the chains, etc. I've played a few tournaments and haven't had any problem with opponents agreeing to this width for the model. It may not be official, but since there isn't any 'official' base available, it is playable.

Eltharil
26-10-2010, 20:22

Hellcanon is a monster&handlers unit. As you can read it at p73, handlers can strike all ennemy in contact with the monster (no need to be in contact themselves).