PDA

View Full Version : Straken themed army! Pleae Help?

Commissar JVE
25-10-2010, 00:45
Ok Warseer family.....I Have just recently been given 2 catachen battleforces, Straken blister and Harker blister!!! :)

I need help buidling a list....i havnt played IG in about 3 years. I did purchase the codex when it came out.

I need help building a 2500 point Ardboyz list, please help me Warseer family!?!?!?

Keep in mind the only 2 things i want in the army is Straken and Harker in my themed army.

ehlijen
25-10-2010, 02:04
Things that fit into Strakan's army (obviously being a catachan jungle fighter force):
-Vets (one for harker at least, more, probably with the camo cloaks upgrade).
-Scout sentinels
-CC squads (with master of ordnance, as dragging the arty along with the army is difficult in jungle settings)
-Marbo
-Platoons with special weapon squads
-Valk transports
-Flamers
-snipers (though Ratlings are probably too weedy to gain the respect of a deathworlder)

Things that have been in the past as not favoured by catachans:
-Commisars
-Lascannon teams
-Carapace armour (sometimes not even flak armour, but there's no way around taking that)

Things that they have no preference or dislike for, but may be hard to fit into a jungle fighting force in large quantities:
-Techpriests
-Ogryns
-Any kind of tank
-Rough riders

AlphariusOmegon20
25-10-2010, 03:14
Things that fit into Strakan's army (obviously being a catachan jungle fighter force):
-Vets (one for harker at least, more, probably with the camo cloaks upgrade).
-Scout sentinels
-CC squads (with master of ordnance, as dragging the arty along with the army is difficult in jungle settings)
-Marbo
-Platoons with special weapon squads
-Valk transports
-Flamers
-snipers (though Ratlings are probably too weedy to gain the respect of a deathworlder)

Things that have been in the past as not favoured by catachans:
-Commisars
-Lascannon teams
-Carapace armour (sometimes not even flak armour, but there's no way around taking that)

Things that they have no preference or dislike for, but may be hard to fit into a jungle fighting force in large quantities:
-Techpriests
-Ogryns
-Any kind of tank
-Rough riders

LOL you forgot the Vendettas Straken would prolly have for anti armor capability. ;)

I would see them using Ogryns though. I believe there is a small force of Ogryns attached to the Jungle Fighters on Armageddon.

ehlijen
25-10-2010, 05:57
No I didn't forget the Vendetta. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a Valkyrie variant. Just like 'russ' covers all the variants, 'Valkyrie' covers all the VTOLS.

Last I heard Strakan was from Catachan, not Armageddon. And as I said, he'd quite possibly keep a few on hand for their short range firepower. But they don't fit with the 'sneaky' theme the Catachans were supposed to have in most of their incarnations. So I wouldn't take multiple squads in themed Strakan army.

Maarten K
25-10-2010, 08:10
Actually the old catachan codex was filled with remarks about how well ogryns and catachans got along, ans that ogrynsquads attached to other units fighting with the catachans would mysteriously disappear...so they would fit the bill, their effectiveness in the tabletop leaves much to be desired though.

The exterminator tank came with catachan crew: tanks with lots of firepower/hellhounds are fitting for catachan armies as their enemies most likely have coversaves: more shots = better

democharges are also very catachan

Xandros
25-10-2010, 08:28
I think your list of units fits the bill perfectly Ehlijen. I'm making a list just like it, except with fire support from another regiment. Also, sneakiness isn't everything about Catachans. They respect strength and bravery, and if sneakiness isn't possible there's always gung ho!

Yresk
25-10-2010, 08:51
i remember the old days when stracken allowed you to field up to three catachan devil squads. that was awsome.

catachans are best att close range. so tool up with flamers against infantry. meltas against heavy stuff and plasma if you want to keep your options open.
i donšt have the new codex. but if you have demo charges use them like there is no tomorrow.

catachans are refered to as baby ogryns because of their planets high gravity. they are very good friends with ogryns. but i can see how they are not sneaky. but still, if you already have a hellhound or valkary. i think you can get away with a squad of big ķns.

Moriarty
25-10-2010, 09:13
If you see the need for artillery support, Mortars fir the bill for jungle warfare, as would a FOP occupying the same ground as a Basilisk.

Xandros
25-10-2010, 09:35
Mortar teams, definitely. But since I don't field platoons I don't see how I could fit them in.

SanguinaryDan
25-10-2010, 15:36
And Ratlings will work just fine. You use the Ratling's Codex entry, but Catachan Sniper models. It's easily justified by the idea that Snipers are meant to get the heck outa Dodge if detected/attacked so the low toughness etc. shows them fading into the forest (whatever) to reposition.