PDA

View Full Version : Two wound models on three wound mounts

Dark_Mage99
25-10-2010, 01:20
"They effectively gain an extra wound in 8th" (http://unseenlerker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Unseen-Lerker-Issue-5-Web.pdf) (battle report on last page.)

... huh? What am I missing?

Lord Inquisitor
25-10-2010, 01:33
Monstrous cav count as a single model but use the mount's wounds so can gain extra wounds if the mount's wounds are higher.

AMWOOD co
25-10-2010, 01:35
Most 3 Wound Mounts are Monstrous Beasts. When these are Mounted by a character, the new combination is Monstrous Cavalry (pg 85, Monstrous Beasts, Character Mount). According to Monstrous Cavalry (pg 83), you use the highest Wounds value as the Wounds of the combined model. So an Empire Captain mounted on a Pegasis has 3 Wounds.

T10
25-10-2010, 06:58
And I must say this edition has been kind on the Empire Captain and his Pegasus. :)

7th Edition: A T4 W2 character with a 3+ armour save rides a T4 W3 unarmoured mount that takes two out of three hits. End result: A lot of walking around the enemy deployment zone trying to get close enough to enemy artillery to make a difference.

8th Edition: Boo-ya!

-T10

Dark_Mage99
25-10-2010, 13:25
Thanks for that, overlooked it.

What does this mean for shooting at these models? I can't find it in the rulebook at the moment. Are shots still randomised like they used to be on a 5-6 hitting the characer, or is it literally just a single model with the highest Wounds used.

This makes it more likely that a character can use a chariots Toughness and Wounds, too.

Frosty_TK
25-10-2010, 13:30
It is a single model with the greatest available number of wounds, and the armor of the rider, or the best armor, I'm not quite sure.
for said Pegasus, it's the armor of the Captain in any case.

And no, chariots are still handled differently (e.g. as before) If I remember correctly.

AMWOOD co
25-10-2010, 13:42
Thanks for that, overlooked it.

What does this mean for shooting at these models? I can't find it in the rulebook at the moment. Are shots still randomised like they used to be on a 5-6 hitting the characer, or is it literally just a single model with the highest Wounds used.

This makes it more likely that a character can use a chariots Toughness and Wounds, too.

Monstrous Cavalry are no longer Monsters riden by characters. Now they are simply bigger cavalry. Treat a pegasis (or Gigantic Spider, or Great Eagle, or Juggernaut, etc) rider the same as a horse rider with the few exceptions described under Monstrous Cavalry (stomp, support attacks).

shadow hunter
25-10-2010, 14:32
Its a shame when the high tounghness of the mount means nothing though.

Ravenar
25-10-2010, 17:18
Its a shame when the high tounghness of the mount means nothing though.

No doubt, it would be nice to put a 2 W T3 char on a 3W T4 beast and gain a wound and a point of toughness.

logan054
25-10-2010, 18:04
Most 3 Wound Mounts are Monstrous Beasts. When these are Mounted by a character, the new combination is Monstrous Cavalry (pg 85, Monstrous Beasts, Character Mount). According to Monstrous Cavalry (pg 83), you use the highest Wounds value as the Wounds of the combined model. So an Empire Captain mounted on a Pegasis has 3 Wounds.

Now I didn't know that! awesome stuff! just a shame juggers are one wound now rather than 3 :(

solkan
25-10-2010, 19:24
Now I didn't know that! awesome stuff! just a shame juggers are one wound now rather than 3 :(

You seem to be ignoring the bits about "highest number of wounds", and the fact that the Bloodletters who ride the Juggernauts have two wounds, as shown on both page 44 and page 91 of the army book, and in the errata'd bestiary.

So two wounds in 8th, and I thought two wounds in 7th since they were just normal cavalry then.

Quinn
25-10-2010, 19:37
You seem to be ignoring the bits about "highest number of wounds", and the fact that the Bloodletters who ride the Juggernauts have two wounds, as shown on both page 44 and page 91 of the army book, and in the errata'd bestiary.

So two wounds in 8th, and I thought two wounds in 7th since they were just normal cavalry then.

He's probably talking about the WoC Juggernaut which not only has just one wound, but doesn't have Frenzy either (thanks to the new rules) and is virtually worthless as a mount nowadays. Which is really a waste considering how nice the model is..(I will admit that I own two converted Chaos Khorne Lords on Jug and am not happy with these particular rules).

logan054
25-10-2010, 19:40

I am not ignoring anything, you have just done 1+1 and got 11 ;) I dont believe I said anything about bloodcrushers having one wound, I said it was a shame that juggernauts have one wound rather than three.

He's probably talking about the WoC Juggernaut which not only has just one wound, but doesn't have Frenzy either (thanks to the new rules) and is virtually worthless as a mount nowadays. Which is really a waste considering how nice the model is..(I will admit that I own two converted Chaos Khorne Lords on Jug and am not happy with these particular rules).

Yeah, I know that pain mate, trust me :(

solkan
25-10-2010, 20:28
Ah, my mistake, then. My condolences to the mortal Chaos warriors. :(