PDA

View Full Version : No frog in 2200pt lizmen possible?

rocdocta
25-10-2010, 07:51
Hi guys, i really want to run a CC liz army without a toad, but is it possible to do that and still have a competitive list? i get worried about the Psun, etc wiping out huge numbers of saurus.

Vsurma
25-10-2010, 08:56
Sure, but with heavens lore forced on the skink priests your magic won't be that great.

Magic defence you can do very well with lizardmen if you want.

We have scrool, diadam and cube, if you take 3 lv1 mages with those items you can basically shut down most of the none IF magic your opponents can cast.

They are not very expensive either, the 3 mages with the above items only cost, 275pts, the cost of a basic slann.

magicmonkey
25-10-2010, 09:08
but then you lose 2 pd and have 3 lvl ones for casting.
also why are you trying this? is it to field a carnosaur for the awesome model, a friendly game or special tournament, or just because you can?

SilasOfTheLambs
25-10-2010, 15:58
I'd go ahead and say based on what I've seen, you cannot build a competitive 8th edition list without bringing the doom toad. "What I've seen" includes a friend of mine (who doesn't suck, btw) trying very hard to squeeze in his beloved converted carnosaur, which has the taken head of queek headtaker dangling from a chain in the oldblood's hand, and is such a gorgeous model. My friend's army is themed for skaven hate. Every time he takes the carnosaur, it gets handled, and so does he.

Anyway, given the metagame with regard to war machines, steadfast, and the extremely powerful nature of 8th ed magic, and also the fact that a couple of armies (WoC and DoC, as well as arguably certain DE builds and even certain beastmen builds) are now better in combat than saurus or temple guard, the toad is now more or less indispensable.

Tech Hazard
25-10-2010, 19:17
Lizardmen have some very painful shortfalls which are made worse in 8th edition. With low init they are almost always fighting last and unlike the Dwarves they cannot take Great Weapons to make up for it. There are a few ways around this but they are nothing compared to the buffs that a Toad can provide.

But can it be competitive? Maybe. You'd maybe have to play somewhat 'cheesy' and monster-mash with 6 Stegadons and a Carnosaur. Something to think about at least.

Jormi_Boced
25-10-2010, 19:52
I don't think it is impossible, but it will probably not be the optimal build.

rocdocta
26-10-2010, 00:56
yeah thats what i was thinking. i just wanted to be able to break out and go to a tourney with a cc list.

Rajhald
26-10-2010, 20:16
It is absolutely viable. Take a super hitty OB (+3 attacks, potion of strength) and he can cut through just about anything, even swinging last. Big blocks of saurus with the old blood, take a scar-vet with the crown of command, and I'm partial to one with a great weapon and the armor of destiny. bout 3 big blocks, and on the bsb put the +d6 charge banner and you can get across the board quite quickly.

I'm also looking at running an all skink list just for fun.

Tae
26-10-2010, 22:06
I've seen a no-frog list manhandle a Tzeentch DoC list which included a 50+ horror bus, herald with dwellers below, herald with pit of shades and a giant flying bird.

And with the exception of a couple of small skink units, it was one sided as hell - and not even due to poor power dice rolls on the DoC players behalf.

Don't forget with 2 skinks you can still take a Cube and a Scroll, that should be sufficient protection - excepting IFs which only a becalming frog can help with - for your hitty units to get into hitting range.