PDA

View Full Version : Interviews for Forgeworld books? Why not?

Grimstonefire
25-10-2010, 20:26
Reading through the latest White Dwarf articles on Dark Elves, and seeing the Jes interviews in the 'What's new today', followed by a video discussion got me thinking... Why is it Forge World don't do this sort of thing?

Does anyone actually know if they would be allowed to? Or is it some strange licensing agreement thing that they can't actually produce any material outside of sales adverts, like the articles on the GW pages?

I for one would really love to read a short article from the FW guys on how they went about designing something, or a short intro to their latest book etc. This is always something I really like reading in White Dwarf.

I know they don't have a place at the moment they could do this, but if they restructured the website a bit they could do a monthly article at the very least I imagine, leave them there forever after in an archive.

Take the new Chaos Dwarf warmachines as a classic example. How on earth did Tim Adcock go about designing them? What were his inspirations, what brief did he have? Those sorts of things.

It would really help to give people more understanding and awareness of what they do.

Gazak Blacktoof
25-10-2010, 21:05
Forge World is a division of GW isn't it? I doubt there's a licensing conflict.

I agree that a few interviews, in house or otherwise, would be a good idea. There are a few from black library staff floating about the web, but I've not heard any involving FW staff.

yabbadabba
25-10-2010, 21:22
They tend to get distracted shaving their palms :eek:.

They might do it for the new Warhammer project - in fact it might be a must. However you have all seen the relatonship between GW and FW and how that is projected publically, so I wouldn't hold your breath outside of FW own site.

blongbling
26-10-2010, 10:22
It is most likely because WD is aimed at your mainstream gamer, not at the people that buy FW. Why advertise something that little Johnny can't get in the store?

Angelwing
27-10-2010, 01:28
Grill the designers at the open days. I bet they would be quite glad to talk about a current project rather than people desperately trying to extract secret future release information.

Grimstonefire
28-10-2010, 18:56
I have done that before and you do learn interesting things (both about current and future projects). The point though is that unless I try and type up word for word what was said nobody else would get to appreciate the info. Which is a shame I think.

Plus, if you have to save up all the things to ask them about between the open day and games day (UK), it will take quite a while to get through it all. :(

I will send them an email and ask about this.

Grimstonefire
12-11-2010, 23:56
I sent them the email, and from Forge World Newsletter #254

Forge World Designer Interviews Coming Soon
Forge World has been inundated with questions for our Studio team over the past few weeks following the recent release of Imperial Armour Volume 9, Lugft Huron and our range of related resin kits.
We have decided to compile these into an exclusive online interview with sculpting legend Simon Egan and Imperial Armour writer Alan Bligh, focusing on the Badab War and associated releases, and we’d like as many of our customers as possible to be involved. So if you want to know exactly how long it took to sculpt Lugft Huron, or which Chapters are featured in The Badab War Part II, then this is your chance to find out!

It seems I was not alone in thinking it is a good idea. :)

AndrewGPaul
13-11-2010, 12:55
So if you want to know exactly how long it took to sculpt Lugft Huron, or which Chapters are featured in The Badab War Part II,

I really hope the standard of discussion is better than that. If all we're going to get is inane nonsense that will be answered in the book anyway, I don't see the point.

Grimstonefire
13-11-2010, 16:33
As I posted in another thread, I spoke to Ead today and it was because of this thread that they are doing the interviews!

Cheers Ead, it was nice speaking to you and Mark. You were very helpful and patient with all my questions.

Gazak Blacktoof
16-11-2010, 21:54
I thought of this thread when I saw the email yesterday.

Hurrah for you, and hurrah for Forge World!