PDA

View Full Version : VC vs Chaos 2500

Maoriboy007
25-10-2010, 23:10
Pickup game VC vs. WoC 2500
Well, VC have been hit pretty hard in 8th but are still playable as an army, and I have a passion for taking an army and making it work.
So far I’ve had very little success with VC as my attempts at balanced lists don’t really work, my last few games against DE and Chaos running along the lines of “Purple Sun is cast – Game over” so I was trying a tougher list.

VC 2500
Morvhael the Great - VC Lord Level 2 Wizard +Dark Acolyte (3 Total)
Forbidden Lore (Death)
Crown of the Damned and Helm of Command (Welded together)

Kanus Bloodlord – VC Lord Level 2 Necromancer (Summon Horde and Curse of Years Rolled)
Dreadknight & Eternal Hatred
Dragonhelm & Dawnstone

King Vrade – Wight King BSB
Steed Lance HA Shield
Drakenhoff Banner

Verpal the Blade – VC Hero
Forbidden Lore – Necromancy, Summon Ghouls
Flayed Hauberk & Sword of Swiftness

The Lost Legion
39 Grave Guard with Great Weapons and Full Command
Banner of Barrows

The Gravediggaz
33 Ghouls and a Ghast

The Risen
30 Skeletons
Full command with the Hellfire Banner

The Bunkah
10 Ghouls and a Ghast

The Soul Seeker
Black Coach

WOC 2500
Gaulrach – Dragon Wizard Level 4
Knows all Tzeench Spells and Breath of BS

Exalted Champion BSB
Khorne
Sword of Swift Slaying Dragon Gem

Exalted Champion
Khorne
Breath weapon

Chaos Sorcerer – Level 2 (Dark Magic)
Purple Head of Bull-crap spell and some other spell which hardly matters
Infernal Puppet and scram attack.

Marauder Horde
45 Khorne Marauders
Great Weapons and Full Command

Chaos Warriors
20-30 with Halberds
Full Command Frenzy Banner

Most BS War machines in the Game
2 Hell cannons

THE SCENARIO & SETUP
MEETING ENGAGEMENT

The two sides of the battlefield are bisected by a diagonal line with a mere 12” between the deployment areas.
Of the terrain the only pieces that really stood out were a tower in the VC side of the non deployment area and a Blood Forest on its right hand side.
Neither side had to put any units in reserve and the Vampires deployed first.
VC (all deployed as close as possible to the deployment zone)
Black Coach to the far left
Grave Guard with Mounted Knight Lord and Mounted BSB Wight Lord to the left of the Tower
30 Ghouls and Vampire on foot behind tower
30 Skeletons Behind the Blood Forest backed by General and bunker unit

WOC (Deployed back from deployment area)
Hell cannons to the right
Marauder Horde and Exalted Champion in the centre
Chaos Warriors and Gaulrach to the Left

THE BATTLE:
VC Turn one

Vampires received the first turn and wasted no time in rushing forward.
Verpal the Blade and the Horde of Ghouls rushed to occupy the tower while the Skeletons moved through a Forest of Blood drenched trees to the right of the tower
Shielded by the Skeletons Morvhel and his protective Ghoul Bodyguard followed close behind
Atop his Steed, Kanus Blood lord gave a signal and the Battle Standard Bearer and mighty regiment of Grave Guard marched to take up position on the left side of the tower.
The Soul seeker rumbled along the far left edge of the battlefield, and then turned to face the Chaos battle line.

The Winds of Magic blew strong for the Vampires summoning 11 dice, but two were claimed by the Soul Seeker to feed its unnatural power, and baleful fires lit the eyes of the nightmarish steeds pulling the Coach as razor sharp scythes of bone grew from its wheels.
Morvhael attempted to slay one of the Chaos Hero’s with his dark magic (Spirit Leech), but one of Gaulrach heads turned to face him, and the Demonic Spirit inhabiting the mighty Chaos Dragon suppressed the deadly spell.
Verpal the Blade attempted to cast a spell which would strip the flesh form the very bones of the Marauders but the Dragons second head whispered sibilantly and his powers were also stifled by the counter spell.
However with both of the Dragons heads distracted, the Blood lord summoned his own necromantic power and unleashed an insidious enchantment upon the Horde of Marauders. In an instant 12 of the warriors had aged decades within mere seconds, withered husks falling to the ground to eventually crumble into dust. (Curse of Years)

WoC Turn 1

The Chaos Horde surged forward, having deployed to far back to reliably charge the undead army.
The Chaos warriors began the distant march towards the tower and the Marauders moved within closing distance of the tower.
Gaulrach chose to fly behind the marauders to the opposite side of the battlefield.

The Winds of Magic were still strong, gifting the Chaos Warriors with 11 dice one of which was absorbed by the Soul Seeker.
The trio of Vampires managed to summon an extra dice dispel dice and braced for the magical onslaught that was sure to come.
On the far left of the Vampire army the Chaos Sorcerer began to chant “Kame...ame...” (Purple Head of Bullcrap)
As a dark ball of energy began to gather in the Chaos Wizards hands, the Vampire Sorcerer realised the impending disaster about to strike the undead warriors, and with all the power at his command uttered a desperate counter spell, managing to disperse the deadly energies before they could fully coalesce.
Gaulrach uttered words of power with one of its heads the other exhaling a cloud of sparkling colours into the air which settled over the battlefield, turning it into a disorientating and surreal landscape (Pandemonium).
Still under the influence of the dreaded Curse of Years, 9 of the marauders crumble into dust.

The Chaos warrior opened his jaw to an unnatural length, belching forth an unnatural stream of energy, striking the Grave Guard and melting four of them.
Another bellowed his rage at the Soul Seeker, the sheer force or the cacophony rattling the construct, but otherwise leaving it unharmed.
The Hell cannons belched forth their demonic missiles, one shattering 16 skeleton warriors and the other severely wounding the black coach (2 Wounds).

VC Turn 2

Bellowing in rage Kanus Bloodlord led the Grave guard in an earthshaking charge that smashed into the rapidly aging marauders.
Verpal the Blade leads his ghoul unit out of the towers rear exit while Morvhel and his ghoul unit garrison the structure in their stead.

The winds of magic allow a small unit of Zombies to claw their way out of the earth in front of the Chaos warriors on the vampires left flank, in an attempt to draw them in front of Verpal and his ghouls and prevent them from charging the Soul Seeker.
While Morvhel managed to cast a spell intended to leech the spirit from the Chaos sorcerer, the Wizards will was too strong to overcome (VC roll a 1)
Gaulrach again suppresses the remaining power of the undead wizards, but exhausts himself doing so, and again the necromantic curse continues to take its toll. More of the marauders age horribly and perish leaving few to withstand the next assault.
(On a side note judicious use of power dice avoid pandemonium being a factor)

The Bloodlord cuts down the exalted champion in a challenge, while the marauders are decimated by the rampaging wights. Blasting through the marauders the wights charge on to slam into the side of the unsuspecting Chaos Dragon.

WoC Turn 2

With little choice the Chaos Warriors charge into the Zombies, blasting clean through them and charging all the way to the tower, just falling short of Verpal and his Ghouls

Even with the Soul Seeker draining the Winds of Magic, the chariot becoming a ghostly floating entity, they still blew strong enough to drag Movaels entire Entourage of Ghouls through a portal into the Chaos realm, with the Vampires just managing to disperse another attempt to bring Pandemonium down onto the Battlefield again.

The Hell cannon belched forth flaming death, but their unnatural payloads failed to hit their marks.

Kanus the Bloodlord charged forward with raised lance and bellowed a challenge at the mighty Chaos Dragon and with a mighty stroke dented a scale (3 ones to wound!).
Gaulrach fixed the Vampire Lord with a cold gaze, then the wights looked on horrified (well dead blankly actually) as the mighty warrior was enveloped by multicoloured flame (Breath of Change!!!)
When the flamed died away, a small gelatinous blob slithered out from beneath a melted and charred helm and crawled away squeaking “I’ll be back!” (Failed 2 of 7 toughness tests and died)
Pressed closely by packed ranks of cold eyed wights with long blades of fell steel, Gaulrach nerve failed and he fled towards the Demonic Hell cannon with the wights in pursuit.

VC Turn 3

The wights attempt to run down Gaulrach who fled to the edge of the battlefield leaving the Wights behind.
Verpal and his Ghouls charged the front of the armoured chaos warriors while the Soul seeker slams into their flank.

Morvael inflicted the chaos warriors with Soul blight, draining their strength and withering their flesh.

The Chaos standard bearer stepped forward to challenge Verpal but a huge Ghoul leapt at him fangs bared. Whirling the Chaos Hero caught the creature by the throat in mid air and ran it through.
With the Chaos warrior distracted Verpal took the opportunity to swiftly cut down the Chaos sorcerer.
The Soul seeker crushed a single Chaos Warrior beneath its wheels and the Wraith atop the mighty construct beheaded two more with its scythe,
With the Warriors weakened and Morvael directing the Ghouls with the Helm of Commandment only 5 of the ravening creatures fell in the ensuing melee and 6 Chaos warriors were dragged down by poisonous claws and fangs.
Devastated the Chaos warriors fled, the Standard Bearer refusing to budge and disappearing beneath the surging tide of ghouls.

WoC Turn 3

Gaulrach turned and opened another gateway into the chaos realm, singing a number of wights but only 4 dissapearing into the realm of Chaos (yay Regen!)
Both Hellcannon decide that the open field is a better target than the approching VC warriors and with a powerful unit of wights bearing down on him Gaulrach flees the field (opponent conceded)

The Grim
26-10-2010, 01:42
Nice rep, that was some awful army you were facing, I guess your opponent HAD to take all the power units in the army book ( Special char, marauder horde, 2 Hell cannons). Seeing that army I guess I would merely have refused to play that out of a tournament.

Maoriboy007
26-10-2010, 02:47
Ha! I've played worse beleive me :)
It was a pretty late game so my opponant fell asleep at the wheel a bit by letting me get an overrun on Galrauch and for some reason not concentrating his hell cannons on my mounted characters i.e no LOS!.
Lessons learned in this game
1. Skeletons suck hard - these days I swap out the 30 skeletons for 3 x 20 units of Zombies. They give me more deployments, run off small units and I don't have some vain hope that they might survive or beat anything
2.Never accept a challange with Galrauch - I should have just refused the challenge, taken the pain and then stuck him with my sharp and pointy great weapons.
3.Hellcannons are plain broken. Str 5 laser guided template weapons? And good luck actually doing anything about them, they definitly need some kind of fix.

Malorian
26-10-2010, 14:38
Cool, first time I saw Gaulrach in a battle report :)

Skeletons do suck, but they are one of your best sources of a banner for the blood and glory missions.

I'm starting to think that combat blocks should be ghouls and the bunker should be skeletons for the banner.

Golden Lion
26-10-2010, 15:46
Nice report, pretty heavy armies! Cool to read the background pieces too.

Eta
31-10-2010, 19:15
Well, VC have been hit pretty hard in 8th but are still playable as an army, and I have a passion for taking an army and making it work

2 Hell cannons

Hellcannons are plain broken. Str 5 laser guided template weapons? And good luck actually doing anything about them, they definitly need some kind of fix.

On the far left of the Vampire army the Chaos Sorcerer began to chant “Kame...ame...” (Purple Head of Bullcrap)

This guy is really bitter. And still convinced that VC were one of the weakest armies in 7th :D

Maoriboy007
31-10-2010, 19:45
Well, VC have been hit pretty hard in 8th but are still playable as an army, and I have a passion for taking an army and making it work

2 Hell cannons

Hellcannons are plain broken. Str 5 laser guided template weapons? And good luck actually doing anything about them, they definitly need some kind of fix.

This guy is really bitter. And still convinced that VC were one of the weakest armies in 7th :D

Bitter but still playing:)

8th could probably be seen as the anti-undead edition, several of the already outdated army books (short of dwarves) will also be suffering until they get new army books.

Still, its than the fact I was playing VC than Purple head is just a stupid concept (as are most of the autokill spells) that penalises you for not playing elves or chaos (regardless of playing VC)

Hellcannons: Unkillable Str 5 template warmachines with laser targetting , no they're just fine as they are:shifty:

I have a real problem with any spell, weapon or ability that says "die with no saves" not limited to but including Gaulrachs breath of change.

SilasOfTheLambs
01-11-2010, 04:04
I think all the no-saves mechanics were basically put in the book to nerf daemons, whose armywide 5+ ward was one of the less important reasons daemons were so broken in 7th. Various other rules seem to have been directed at them as well, which as far as I'm concerned is all to the good.

Kriegschmidt
03-11-2010, 11:35
I had a bit of trouble reading your report, as I didn't really understand what bits of it meant.... :) For example, which were the "wights"? And what's "scram attack"? And what does this mean:

singing a number of wights but only 4 dissapearing into the realm of Chaos (yay Regen!)

Wights...? And what has Regeneration..?

And what was the "some other spell that doesn't matter" that your opponent had?

I realise that you were facing a pretty mean list and were miffed that your opponent was fielding such a lot of heavy stuff and wanted to communicate this in your report, but the way you described things made it hard to follow sometimes or to work out what you were talking about :)

Photos are always good too!

Maoriboy007
04-11-2010, 00:34
I had a bit of trouble reading your report, as I didn't really understand what bits of it meant.... :)
Put it down to a misguided attempt to be creativly descriptive and being a lousy typist :p

For example, which were the "wights"?Wight Kings Grave Guard and Black Knights are all "Wights", basically a term common in 4-6th edition for skeletons on steroids, in this case referring to my grave guard.

And what's "scram attack"?A scram attack is dyslexic for scream attack (bellowing something power I'm not sure of from the chaos book. (see lousy typist reference)

And what does this mean:
Singing was meant to be singeing (as in slightly burned), lousy typist again

Wights...? And what has Regeneration..?!My wight King BSB was in the grave guard and gives the whole unit regeneration as he had the drakenhof Banner.

And what was the "some other spell that doesn't matter" that your opponent had?!The other spell that didn't matter wasn't important because the only spells he tried to cast were pandemonium and Gateway with galrauch and Purple Sun of Xerus with his other wizard,( for maximum effect!) ;)

I realise that you were facing a pretty mean list and were miffed that your opponent was fielding such a lot of heavy stuff and wanted to communicate this in your report,Not so much miffed as resigned, it is not uncommon for me to face lists of this calibre.

but the way you described things made it hard to follow sometimes or to work out what you were talking about :)!Just part of My cunning plan to make you read it several times! Muwahahahahahaha!
Probably my attempt at dramatic licence just got away from me at times (sheesh, everyones a critic!) ;)

Photos are always good too!
I am so technically inept I cant even get a photo to attach as my avatar, heaven forbid I try something complex!
We also play fairly late at night after work so taking photos might slow the game overly much.

Sexiest_hero
04-11-2010, 01:59
I don't think VC got nerfed as bad as you think. I still say facing purple sun beats facing 7th daemons or dark elves. I mean we have a spell that let's us super summon on a 12+ you can raise more with less die that they can kill. Just keep you caster out of purple sun range. The spell works for bringing mass ghouls and skeletons to a battle.

the eater of pie
18-11-2010, 20:31
personally this is one of the best battle reports i have read. it was interesting and fun, and kinda took it away from "i rolled X dice and killed X warriors". i especially liked the magic phases, and was that a dragon ball z reference in there? :P

all in all, great report and congrats on your win.

Cheers,
The Eater Of Pie