PDA

View Full Version : oop plastic eldar with extra shuriken catapult

Fugazi
26-10-2010, 23:54
Picked this up off ebay. (Honestly, I didn't think I'd win it. I put in a low bid, walked away, and hours later got an email that I won.)

I don't recall
1. what year this box was first released
2. if the extra metal weapon is a shuriken catapult, then what is the plastic weapon on the sprue? (I ask because now that I won it, I've become a little impatient waiting for the little buggers to arrive.)

Any ideas?

insectum7
26-10-2010, 23:57
If they aren't Shuriken Catapults they're probably Lasguns. That used to be standard guardian fare.

*double-check*

Yup. Lasguns.

Mid 90's is my best guess for year. 94-95

rabblerouser
27-10-2010, 00:01
those bring back memories

chromedog
27-10-2010, 00:10
Yep, they originally came with lasguns. Then this box was released which gave them the option of shuriken catapults (2nd ed you could have so many squads upgraded to have them).

Fugazi
27-10-2010, 01:23
Cool. Thanks for the info. I couldn't find it on Stuff of Legends.

I might take some of those metal shuriken catapults to arm a suitably Rogue Trader-ish cohort with some older models.

carlisimo
27-10-2010, 01:27
I bought a box of those in 1998; I think the shuriken catapult add-on blister was new around then. I don't know how long before that the original plastic kit was available.

Back then, shuriken catapults had a -2 armor save modifier, so they were great against Space Marines.

nightgant98c
27-10-2010, 04:16
I got a couple boxes of those at a convention a few years back. I still haven't put them together.

chromedog
27-10-2010, 04:49
I have a few of them in my Guardians for my eldar army (which has been around in one way or another since 1987). The 'lasgun' armed ones are just alternate pattern shuriken catapults (and the result of poor imperial weapon identification in any other case - can't blame them really, knowledge of Xenos anything will get them into trouble.)

Shards of Basalt
27-10-2010, 05:09
I got a couple boxes of those at a convention a few years back. I still haven't put them together.
You got them really cheap when they were first made OOP?
I recall that around about the same time (a year later, tops) a friend of mine got some old single-part Khorne Berserkers in a similar deal 10 for one hundred.
Good times...

guy_cheung
27-10-2010, 05:11
Hi there, I remember those quite well as they are actually the 1st box of GW I purchased about 15 years ago.

The metal bits are not actually lasguns but metal pieces of cloth that you can add to the guardians.

Tethylis
27-10-2010, 05:17
The metal bits are not actually lasguns but metal pieces of cloth that you can add to the guardians.

No, the metal bits are definitely shuriken catapults. The original box only came with the plastic lasguns, the metal shurikens were released in a seperate blister some time later.

Shards of Basalt
27-10-2010, 05:23
The metal bits of cloth that he's talking about were from the old (but not that old) metal/plastic hybrid Dire Avengers who were basically Guardians with some extra metal pieces.

Woodsman
27-10-2010, 06:26
Pretty sure that was the first 40K box I purchased, thanks, some fond remembrancing will ensue.

Shards of Basalt
27-10-2010, 06:39
Interestingly, they don't look half bad with the new Guardian heads.

I know someone who slowly updated their old Guardians using spares from the multi-part plastics- the heads looking in different directions and the occasional helmetless head goes some way to detract attention from the overly static poses.

I considered copying them but decided to keep mine "pure" so they looked better alongside my Jetbike heavy army. The only downside to using them over the newer models is that the metal shuriken catapult is the most vulnerable part of the model and sometimes comes away from the plastic during transport due to the glue having a relatively small surface area.

nightgant98c
27-10-2010, 17:05
You got them really cheap when they were first made OOP?

I think I paid $5 each. Pretty cheap.