PDA

View Full Version : Skaven List for a tournament(Friendly testing out list)

Exo10
27-10-2010, 00:58
LORDS:
Screaming Bell
Grey Seer
440 points

HEROES:
Cheiftan:BSB
Talisman of Preservation
Iconcurse Icon
120 points

Warlock engineer Doomrocket=45

CORE

32 Clanrats pushing bell FC=168

40 Clanrats with Wind mortar FC Spears=265

30 stormvermin warpfire thrower FC Stormbanner (Chieftan here) Pushing bell=355

SPECIAL
40 plague monks FC=305

RARE:
2 doomwheels=300

1998 points

Exo10
27-10-2010, 10:42
Any help with the list?

RealMikeBob
27-10-2010, 10:52
You seem to have 2 units pushing the bell. I also think a bell is a bit much in 2000 points. You could have a few more units instead.

Exo10
27-10-2010, 19:46
Yeah i meant to only have one unit pushing the bell.

kaintxu
28-10-2010, 03:38
Why take doomrocket instead of brass orb which is way better to kill Steam tanks, Hydras, Lizards, PB......

Tarian
28-10-2010, 03:51
Well, the rocket is better against other things, like Swordmasters, Executioners, Black Guard, Chaos Warriors...

CaptainFaramir
28-10-2010, 09:57
Your characters set up is almost identical to mine.

I would suggest a magic item for the Seer - either Skalm for healing those IF/miscast wounds, or Power Scroll (to all but ensure IF on the Dreaded 13th spell).

Also, given the discussion above about Brass Orb/Doom Rocket I would suggest taking BOTH. 65 points is not a bad price.

And you have no slaves. With an 18" general and a BSB, at LEAST 30 slaves is a must for 62 points (with Msc.), and 50 is better if you have the models. That unit will be able to stand up to two full combat rounds of Swordmaster punishment (which is the highest number of skaven killing kills I can think of (usually in the region of 14-5 per turn), until a Doomwheels can sort them out.

kaintxu
28-10-2010, 21:13
but isn't the rocket too unpredictable?

I have never played skaven, i wanna start with them, but I'm just working on thinking a list

Tarian
29-10-2010, 00:00
My rocket has yet to miss, though I tend to skitterleap the Engi to the side of their battle line, 14" away from what I want to hit.

CaptainFaramir
29-10-2010, 10:15
Re: Doomrocket - it is all about the number of dice you roll, the angle at which you point it, and when you point it.

As Tarian says, the ideal use is a skitterleap to the end of their battle line.*

Assuming a "normal" set up of unit after unit after unit, in a long line, take the following steps:

1) Measure (you can measure anything at any time these days), the length of the line and choose and appropriate number of dice corresponding to the length of that line. Usually it's around 24-30" wide, possibly larger if there is a horde. Thus for a 24" line, you want 6 dice (bearing in mind you want your skitterleaper to be slightly away from the first unit).

2) Having worked out the number of dice you will use, skitterleap your Warlock to the average number of inches away from the juciest unit. 4 dice = 14", 5 dice = 17.5", 6 dice = 21". Rarely will you use more than 6 dice, even if firing without skitterleaping! Note that the larger the number of dice you roll the closer to the average you are more likely to be.

3) Roll the dice. Watch things die (including, possibly your warlock).

4) Bear in mind that your warlock will then be a march-blocker. And probably dead. But that he only needs to kill 45 points worth of models to get his points back. And if he doesn't die. He should charge warmachines (if he can). Or charge other units in the rear (no minimum US for rear bonus). This is considered (by some) to be a waste of 45 VPs. I disagree. For 45 points (bearing in mind he has already killed some stuff), the possibility of a warmachine crew being held up for one shooting round is priceless. (Warlock is I4, so goes first vs. most crews. And even 3A on 4+/4+ = 0.75W on Warlock. I like those odds. One round of fluffed crew attacks = 1 round of no dead slaves!

*It's almost worth putting a level on a Warlock to ensure the spell (auto-takes Warp-Lightning, Grey Seer then has 4 spells with only 5 possible remaining, making a double or skitter almost a certainty and you can swap out for skitter on the double, and another spell for 13th...). I say almost, as the points are usually only free OVER 2k pts.

kaintxu
30-10-2010, 17:39
Do doomwheel perform OK?

I mean over 2 HPA, would it be good a Doomwhell and 1 HPA

thesheriff
31-10-2010, 09:47
Or 2 doomwheels? There better than HPA in my opinion.

thesheriff

immortal git
31-10-2010, 10:05
agreed sheriff, ive seen doomwheels do horrible things, mostly to my ogres, but yeah i rate them above HPAs any day.

kaintxu
04-11-2010, 01:09
i allways though HPA where rated competitively above DW

Kevlar
04-11-2010, 01:21
The doomwheel and HPA are equally able to win the day or die to some absurdly bad dice rolling. I've had both munch multiple expensive units and I've seen both die miserably to trash.

The doomwheel is a bit tougher and a bit more resistant to lots of low str attacks with its armor save.

The HPA is a bit easier to wound, especially with fire, gets no armor save, but the regen save can really make up for it if the enemy has no counter.

Offensively the doomwheel is much better against big monsters. It struggles against rank and file though with its low amount of grinding attacks. The rats are next to worthless.

The HPA can really tear up rank and file, even multiple units at once with certain rolls, but against big tough monsters or stuff with good armor saves it generally does little damage and will lose combat. If it gets charged it loses impact hits and won't get thunderstomp. Its attack table is fairly weak against tough things as it has low ws. Say you roll 7 attacks, 3 or 4 hit, might do one or two wounds, and if there is a ward or armor save forget it. Being stubborn helps a bit, but is no sure thing. Keep that BSB nearby or your expensive monster will be an expensive blood stain.

KronusDaSneaky
04-11-2010, 15:10
I would think about giving your a Seer Skalm and few other trinkets (shadow magnet trinket or 2 warpstone tokens)

On your cheiftan I recommend worlds edge armour if you plan to sit him at the back with the bell and keep him out of combat, if not amulet of preservation is fine. The reason for this is simple worlds edge is a free automatically passing ward save vs any attacks even characteristic testing ones you would normally not get a save for failing. Its great vs dweller or purple sun.

I would also drop the plague monks, they just are not up to much in 8th and their only real purpose is to the push the plague furnace. Seeing as you do not have one I can think of better ways to spend the points such as more slaves or clan rats. I would suggest two big slave units on your flanks just on the inside of your doomwheels. Doomwheel's fire at whatever the closest unit is, yours or your foes and thus best herded by valueless slaves.

Exo10
04-11-2010, 23:52
Im using all the pieces i have so i cant make plague monks clanrats. I have in total 150 clanrats/slaves, 40 plague monks