PDA

View Full Version : Net of Amyntok and spells

Glasscannon
27-10-2010, 06:12
I regularly use lore of light and need to make sure I know the rules for the net spell, ive been playing it as when the wizard wants to cast a spell the unit makes a strength test, if it is failed no dice are lost but the wizard cannot cast that spell in the phase. I read through the FAQ and couldnt seem to find anything to clarify.

stainawarjar
27-10-2010, 06:36
Makes sense to me, he can't take the action of casting the spell at all if the strength test is failed, so no dice are ever used. I can't really clarify beyond that though, sorry.

Kampfpanzer
31-10-2010, 14:18
I see it the other way. You don't cast a spell by declaring what spell you wish to cast. You cast it by rolling the dice, so you take the test after the dice are rolled. If you fail, the spell is halted and you lose your dice. In addition, no other wizards in that unit can cast in that phase.

TheRolfgar
31-10-2010, 15:38
P 31 of the brb, you choose a spell, then a target, then roll dice. I agree with the op interpretation, no dice are lost.

edit: p 32 Broken concentration happens when you fail to meet the casting value or the dice total is under 3. Nothing is actually rolled so I think they could continue casting (but be forced to make another test first).

Kampfpanzer
31-10-2010, 19:01
Choosing a spell and target are not casting a spell. Rolling dice are casting spells. If you cast a spell and you are halted from it, you lose the dice, otherwise it would be treated as you didn't cast the spell, in turn not activating the net and not needing to take a test so now you can cast a spell and you are halted from it, you lose the dice, otherwise it would be treated as you didn't cast the spell, in turn not activating the net and not needing to take a test so now you can cast a spell and you are halted from it, you lose the dice, otherwise it would be treated as you didn't cast the spell, in turn not activating the net and not needing to take a test so now you can cast a spell and you are halted from it, you lose the dice, otherwise it would be treated as you didn't cast the spell, in turn not activating the net and not needing to take a test so now you can cast a spell... I think you get it, yeah?

Archangelion
31-10-2010, 19:12
Or is it simply triggered by the player's desire to take a specific action with the effected unit? "If the test is failed, the unit is unable to perform the desired action..."

So, you desire to cast spell A at target 1, you roll the Strenth test, a pass means you can cast the spell and you go on to roll the dice. A fail means you cannot cast the spell and roll no dice. Once the dice for casting a spell are rolled, the spell is cast unless met by a scroll or dispell.

TheRolfgar
31-10-2010, 19:40
Again, page 31: "To cast a spell, a wizard nominates one of his spells to cast, and declares the target of the spell."

You need to make the Str test for the Net every time you try to cast a spell, since you are casting a spell by nominating a spell and a target (done before rolling dice) you have to make the test then. If it says somewhere in the magic section that contradicts the sentence I quoted please reference it.

Archangelion
31-10-2010, 19:45
It may even occur before that, it may occur as soon as you say, this wizard is going to cast... crap! strenth test!

TheRolfgar
31-10-2010, 20:36
It may even occur before that, it may occur as soon as you say, this wizard is going to cast... crap! strenth test!

If you fail the test the wizard cannot cast that spell this turn. So the test has to be made after the spell is chosen.

Archangelion
31-10-2010, 20:39
I read it as cast spells. So no spells for that wizard that turn, period.

TheRolfgar
31-10-2010, 21:34
You are right, It does say spells. I must have read it wrong :cries: