PDA

View Full Version : Greatswords & Magic Banners ???

Fox Of 9
27-10-2010, 12:20
So i'm wondering is Greatswords can take magic banners & if So which one ?? David

Novrain
27-10-2010, 13:33
Yes they can, but only through the General of the Empire's Ancestral Heirloom rule as they are State Troops.

As to which banner, that is up to you! Any from the Empire AB or BRB so long as they are under 50pts.

Von Wibble
27-10-2010, 13:39
Banner of Discipline would be my choice - you then have a very reliable flank guard with stubborn 9 and can put your general elsewhere. Gleaming Pennant is a cheap alternative. Sadly the banners in the empire book itself aren't that great...

Fox Of 9
27-10-2010, 14:21
thanks for the help guys its most appreciated

freddieyu
27-10-2010, 23:06
flaming banner..so they can whack a hydra or HPA

DivineVisitor
27-10-2010, 23:57
Would have been nice if they could take a magic banner as standard. Currently it's only the Knights that are allowed a Magic Standard without help from elsewhere in the list, wheras my brother recently informed me (much to his amusement) that his bog standard Dark Elf warriors have access to magic banners :wtf:

Banner of Discipline sounds the best choice for them though, i usually prefer to keep the Banner of Eternal Flame saved for my Handgunners :)

decker_cky
28-10-2010, 00:10
flaming banner..so they can whack a hydra or HPA

I was running flaming banner on my bestigors to some success, but when I moved it to my minotaurs (on a BSB), I found striking at initiative to be much better for the things you want regen against Greatswords take all the attacks then stomp/thunderstomps from trolls and hydras where halberdiers might avoid it if they can get some kills. Against an abomination, it's just the thunderstomp you'd ignore if you could kill it.

Scythe
28-10-2010, 06:21
Would have been nice if they could take a magic banner as standard. Currently it's only the Knights that are allowed a Magic Standard without help from elsewhere in the list, wheras my brother recently informed me (much to his amusement) that his bog standard Dark Elf warriors have access to magic banners :wtf:

Banner of Discipline sounds the best choice for them though, i usually prefer to keep the Banner of Eternal Flame saved for my Handgunners :)

That is a little hard though, as a general only allows a single unit to take a magic banner.

Honestly, Greatswords should have the ability to take a banner without needing the general's special rule I agree.