PDA

View Full Version : Light of Battle = Unbreakable?

PurpleSun
28-10-2010, 01:47
Looking at the Lore of Light, I took a closer look at the Light of Battle spell. I've never cast it and just glossed over it at first, pigeon holing it as a useless spell used to rally a fleeing unit. But then I read through it again, and it also gives the unit the ability to auto-pass all leadership tests until the caster's next magic phase. Then, I read page 54 under the heading "Taking a Break Test" and it says that "A Break test is a type of Leadership test."

So does that mean that a unit affected by Light of Battle is unbreakable until the caster's next magic phase? Taking it one step further, does it only work on units that were fleeing, or can it hit a normal unit that was not fleeing?

My reading is that you can hit any unit and it becomes unbreakable until the caster's next phase. This is huge because you can pump it up to affect every unit within 12". That means you can have a 24" long battle line of unbreakable units.

Edit: I suppose this spell would also allow you to automatically do a swift reform. Added bonus.

Ramius4
28-10-2010, 01:50
Did you have an actual question in there? Or just making a statement?

Everything you need to know is written very clearly in the spell description.

PurpleSun
28-10-2010, 01:54
Did you have an actual question in there? Or just making a statement?

Everything you need to know is written very clearly in the spell description.

The questions in paragraph two are genuine. I'm just baffled that this spell hasn't been used more or would possibly be considered OP. Plus, members of Warseer have an amazing ability to show ambiguities or counterarguments to things that otherwise seem clear.

RMacDeezy
28-10-2010, 02:15
The questions in paragraph two are genuine. I'm just baffled that this spell hasn't been used more or would possibly be considered OP. Plus, members of Warseer have an amazing ability to show ambiguities or counterarguments to things that otherwise seem clear.

QFT, but i do believe the confusion-mongering horde has indeed been bested by the wording of the spell. every LD test means EVERY LD test so yes, swift reform, enemy sighted, break tests you name it

The Grim
28-10-2010, 02:20
Now that we're talking about it that would be pretty awesome for daemons, since I don't think undead can have it anyway.

DaemonReign
28-10-2010, 02:24
Now that we're talking about it that would be pretty awesome for daemons, since I don't think undead can have it anyway.

Yeah sure it's great! Though I tend to think making mince meat out of the enemy (Birona's Timewarp, Speed of Light) tends to be better than not having to worry about Instability for two CC-rounds.

If anything, Light Battle is a down right awesome spell AGAINST Daemons.

Ramius4
28-10-2010, 02:25

No problem. I use the Lore of Light quite often with Lizardmen. It has a lot of great spells to counteract some of the weaker aspects of your army.

The Grim
28-10-2010, 02:30
No problem. I use the Lore of Light quite often with Lizardmen. It has a lot of great spells to counteract some of the weaker aspects of your army.

Well I doubt Ld test could be qualified as a "weaker aspect" of the Lizardmen army anyway :p

AMWOOD co
28-10-2010, 02:34
The spell will make you effectively unbreakable but it does not give you the Unbreakable special rule. Why am I being nit-picky? Because I like throwing around Treason of Tzeentch, and if you're Unbreakable then it can't be cast on you.

So, you won't break, won't fail fear, will always rally, but you aren't technically Unbreakable.

Ramius4
28-10-2010, 02:59
Well I doubt Ld test could be qualified as a "weaker aspect" of the Lizardmen army anyway :p

That really wasn't what I was getting at either:p It can do wonders for your Initiative, WS, etc. etc.

Light of Battle with Skink/Krox units is still decent if you know they're going to get out of the range of your Slaan, but that's situational.

Plus the hardest spell to cast in the entire Lore is off on a 12+. I've had a couple occassions where my Slaan had 12 dice magic phases and cast the whole lore in one phase!

PurpleSun
28-10-2010, 03:00

I feel your pain. I just started a Lizardmen army, and the first night that I played them, my buddy destroyed me with a Purple Sun. Ironic, to be sure, considering my screen name. I was using Shadow but decided Life or Light would be better for the Slann.

Ramius4
28-10-2010, 03:17
I feel your pain. I just started a Lizardmen army, and the first night that I played them, my buddy destroyed me with a Purple Sun. Ironic, to be sure, considering my screen name. I was using Shadow but decided Life or Light would be better for the Slann.

Oh it's not 'pain' there. Lizardmen don't have much to worry about really, it's a very strong army. Purple Sun is a one trick pony, and I really don't like to rely on those, or plan around having to defend against them. They don't happen often enough to worry overmuch.

It really is hard to pick a 'bad' lore nowadays. They're all good if you give them half a chance, and since you know what you're taking when building your list, it's easy to buy an army that compliments your choice.

T10
28-10-2010, 06:30
So does that mean that a unit affected by Light of Battle is unbreakable until the caster's next magic phase? Taking it one step further, does it only work on units that were fleeing, or can it hit a normal unit that was not fleeing?

Though they'll be passing break tests automatically, they are not Unbreakable. The Unbreakable special rules does other things as well, notably making the model Immune to Psychology (which has other effects as well!).

-T10

Eltharil
28-10-2010, 07:58

Undead can have it ( forbiden lore ability), but i don't think it can be very useful for them

Tomalock
28-10-2010, 08:04
Speak for yourself! Lore of Light + Blood Knight unit of death = dead any unit it faces. Now I would agree that Light of Battle is almost worthless for VC, although it can save a unit from crumbling in the event of the generals death.

Eltharil
28-10-2010, 08:29
Speak for yourself! Lore of Light + Blood Knight unit of death = dead any unit it faces. Now I would agree that Light of Battle is almost worthless for VC, although it can save a unit from crumbling in the event of the generals death.

Was only talking about Light of Battle, the lore itself can be cool and not only for Blood Knights. My zombies with CC7 and -1 to hit could'nt be killed by a big chosen unit...funny.
Tho, Light of battle isn't good at all even against crumbling as your general will probably be the light sorcerer. In the case of a lv1, possible to do it but too easy to dispell.

MrMiscast
28-10-2010, 11:24
Because I like throwing around Treason of Tzeentch, and if you're Unbreakable then it can't be cast on you.

Treason doesn´t work on Immune to psych.

AMWOOD co
28-10-2010, 12:37
Treason doesn´t work on Immune to psych.

Yes, and as T10 said, Unbreakable makes you Immune to Psychology. Thereofore all Unbreakable units can't be targetted by Treason of Tzeentch. Bit of a shame as I would love to cast it on a big unit of Flaggelants or Slayers.

durmacar
28-10-2010, 16:04
the undead, or at least VC, CAN take Lore of Light. Ironically the only lore they cannot take after having been given the Forbidden Lore vampiric ability is Lore of Life, even though Light specifically screws with vampires.

Ramius4
28-10-2010, 16:54
Yeah, I found that one funny too. They should be restricted from both of them, but oh well.

Anyways, even though the spell gives you pseudo-Unbreakability, it's also good for Quick Reforms, Enemy in the Way tests, Redirecting Charges, Restraining Pursuit, items that force you to take a Ld test, etc.

There's a lot more usefulness to it than simply not running from combat.

PurpleSun
28-10-2010, 19:59
Yeah, I found that one funny too. They should be restricted from both of them, but oh well.

Anyways, even though the spell gives you pseudo-Unbreakability, it's also good for Quick Reforms, Enemy in the Way tests, Redirecting Charges, Restraining Pursuit, items that force you to take a Ld test, etc.

There's a lot more usefulness to it than simply not running from combat.

Plus, you can actually choose to flee a charge with Light of Battle, whereas Immune to Psych/Unbreakable units are forced to stand. So basically you have the benefits of unbreakable without the disadvantage of not being able to tactically flee.