PDA

View Full Version : Skaven vs Ogre kingdom, what to bring?

karse88
28-10-2010, 14:39
Hi guys... i'm alitle lost here.. i'm playing an old friend this friday and need help to assemble an army!?.. he is playing Ogre Kingdom and eventhough i don't fear them, i still haven't got a clue what to bring? :/...
my list so far:
1 WLC
1 DW
1 HPA
38 clanrats + shields + WFT (lord + bsb goes in here)
35 clanrats + shiled + ratling
25 -||-
and greyseer on foot with talisman of persevation + power stone
... i don't think it works out but don't know what to replace :S

Torpedo Vegas
28-10-2010, 16:24
As an ogre player, here is what I would do:
Ranged units. Ogres don;t have much range other than Scraplaunchers and Leadbelchers.
Magic that makes them take initiative tests will make them drop like flies.
Deep units to gain a rank bonus, and get Stubborn, as Ogres all cause fear.
Kill the Characters. Basic Ogres have poor leadership.
Stay mobile, Ogres have M6
Use lots of units to flank, and don;t bother with armor, as ogres can smash through 5+ saves like they are paper.

SevenSins
28-10-2010, 18:34
many of the skaven weapons deal multiple wounds wich help a lot against ogres, so wheels, warpfire throwers and cannons work a charm (when they work that is...).
Huge blocks of slaves to steadfastly lock his units for a while would also be a good idea.

Ogres can have the numbers on their side with loads of gnoblars so beware :)

Chain
28-10-2010, 18:57
I don't have much experience with 8'th ed but what about Queek and his special Stormvermin?

though your likely better off with as little CC as possible

Ws 5, S 5

but they do get costy

meneroth
29-10-2010, 04:08
doomwheel, doomwheel, doomwheel. it is the most powerful thing you got against ogres. high strength on attacks means your wounding on 2+, its the most manuverable thing you have, and its lighting attacks are rediculous. (with a spot of decent rolling) ive seen one hold an entire flank on its own against just about anything. dont forget it can shoot while in close combat, another huge plus, and exceptionally deadly. It can zip right past ogre units and just shoot em, doesnt even need to be in cc with them.

a more fun option would be ratling guns. they pump out enough shots and with a negative to the armor save they can take out bulls and ironguts alike pretty decently. you only really have to kill two in order to get your points back, which isnt all that hard.

another one would be plague censor bearers. you dont really have to worry about much enemy shooting and they are quick enough that they will get where you want them to go. most importantly thier damage output is enough to kill off a 3 bull unit in one round of combat pretty easily. another great flanking unit.

russellmoo
29-10-2010, 05:49
Plague monks are always a good choice, plus they can help out your PCB's. Warplightning could be fun-

But really why not just bring your own ogres- they are comparatively better then most regular ogres due to frenzy-

Night runners for some reason also do well against ogres- this is just from personal experience and I still don't know why they performed so well- but my unit of 14 took down a full unit of 6 bulls by themselves-

eyescrossed
29-10-2010, 06:15
Anything that does multiple Wounds owns Ogres.

Cracks Call is great, too; as is the Brass Orb.

karse88
29-10-2010, 10:43
russelmo, you must be freaking lucky! :O :D haha thanks for the surgestion with pcb! i think i'll try it out tonight!
and eyescrossed, i will definently use Cracks Call!
thanks guys!

eyescrossed
29-10-2010, 10:46
Target the Ironguts, as they'll most likely have the Runemaw (basically nullifies most magic) but it won't stop Cracks Call!

karse88
29-10-2010, 10:57
Clan rats Shield + Full Command, warpfire trower, 38stk 266 point
Clan rats Shield + FC, ratling gun, 31 stk 214,5 point
Clan rats Shield + musician, ratling gun, 25 stk, 171,5 point
Plague m. FC+Plague Banner , 25 stk, 230 point
PCB leader, 10 stk, 173 point
Doomwheel 1stk 150
Doomwheel 1stk 150
WLC Rare 1stk 90
Grey seer Lord Talisman of Persevation +Power Stone, lvl 4, 305point
Warlock ing Hero Dispel scroll, lvl 2, 125point
Chieftain Hero Bsb + Amour of Destiny + shield, 122 point

1999 points :) i think it will do allright ! :), have never played with plague monks og Plague Censer bearers though :/ - they seem like a good choice against low initiative

karse88
02-03-2012, 09:05
why are my ogres better than his? :/ they are more expensive? has more initiative and 1 more attack, but thats about it?... i guess the good thing about them is that just 3 of mine is what ? 15 attack, str 5?.. that will be about 4-6 wounds with my luck.. even if he is more than me, i will remove his models before they strike back..
he ever hits my ogres and never handlers when i have full rank of ogres right?.. and do i need handlers if i put a lord on bonebraker in the unit??

BlackPawl
02-03-2012, 11:01
why are my ogres better than his? :/ they are more expensive? has more initiative and 1 more attack, but thats about it?... i guess the good thing about them is that just 3 of mine is what ? 15 attack, str 5?.. that will be about 4-6 wounds with my luck.. even if he is more than me, i will remove his models before they strike back..
he ever hits my ogres and never handlers when i have full rank of ogres right?.. and do i need handlers if i put a lord on bonebraker in the unit??

Yes, he has to hit the models in base to base contact, so no chance to hit the handlers behind the ratogres. But you have to have some handlers because if you loose all of them (magic / shooting) the ratogres will be stupid).

I would consider some slaves to hold one flank, then get the wft into position! :evilgrin:

Maybe take a plague priest, if you got wither this can win you the game.
And beware of the hellheart, stay away at least 21" or more from his mages with your wizards at the start of your magic phase, so the chances that he will use it will be small.

I would drop one unit of clanrats, try to get some slaves for them and maybe 5 PWG and a PWM.

karse88
02-03-2012, 14:57
we play 1000 points
i think of bringing a greyseer
some clan rats with warpfire throwers
a doomwheel and 1-2 wlc
is censor bearers any good? toughness test sure thing, but a single wound? :/ they have a lot of attack but i think its a lot of point for this?

karse88
02-03-2012, 15:06
the same goes for plague monks :S.. i can bring 20 plague monks and about 7 cencers :S - this cant do the job!?.. or am i mistaken?

lovedinplaster
02-03-2012, 21:22
I would find it hardpressed for skaven to lose to ogres. Almost everything in our book is anti ogre haha. Cheap steadfast units, ranged poison attacks, multiple wound attacks, almost all of the magic, character killers in form of assassins, long range. Death globe, doomrocket, brass orb, Pwm.

I think a nobler build would be better off to beat skaven:)

Jack of Blades
02-03-2012, 21:29
You say you're taking a Bonebreaker Warlord? give him the Fellblade, put him in a unit of 3 or 4 (or perhaps more for cannon protection?) Rat Ogres and charge that unit at the most expensive, toughest unit he has... or put them on a flank, advance as fast as you can, get the chaff out of the way and roll up his line :)

BlackPawl
03-03-2012, 10:27
You say you're taking a Bonebreaker Warlord? give him the Fellblade, put him in a unit of 3 or 4 (or perhaps more for cannon protection?) Rat Ogres and charge that unit at the most expensive, toughest unit he has... or put them on a flank, advance as fast as you can, get the chaff out of the way and roll up his line :)

Better to put a warlord with the fellblade on a war litter - the ogres can shoot a warlord on bonebreaker down with their cannons. But beware of the monster with the ASL rule, your warlord will be dead if he has to strike last with the fellblade.

In a 1000 point battle take a WLC and a Doomwheel, both can deal much damage against ogres. A Greyseer is expensive but good on this level, and ogres can not bring a level 4 to the battle (just a level 3).
A chieftain with the potion of strength and the weeping blade could be of good help, but it could be expensive because with a doomwheel, a WLC and a Grey Seer you will not have many points left.

karse88
03-03-2012, 23:29
yes, but the warlitter should be put in what unit? the rat ogre unit is a hard hitter!.. i know he has a scrablauncher, not the cannon, so im not very concerned about that.. but in this fight, there are no points for a hardhitting lord with some ratogres.. i keep to big/bigger blocks, a lot of magic and fun stuff :)

w3rm
04-03-2012, 15:47
This is some crazy threadomancy.

lovedinplaster
05-03-2012, 00:55
Instead of the expensive grey seer. Take a plaguepriest or two. The warlord on bonebreaker could even be ran alone as a support and flank unit. Poison slings with gutter runners would be amazing in this matchup. So what do they do? Shoot your warlord, your gutter runners, or your steadfast units?

karse88
06-03-2012, 08:50
lore of plague is not as good as lore of ruin? :/.. i need the greyseer - or warlock engineer.. but i really like hard magic! and i think that 200 points of warlock engineers is good but not as good as 240 point of greyseer?...

hmm i could run him alone... he probably runs 6 bull/iron guts units.. and a 3 man unit of ledbelchers... im a bit concerned for my lord then ?..

karse88
06-03-2012, 08:57
This is some crazy threadomancy.

I know that some of the same questions are asked.. but there is a new book and new rules.. OK has changed a lot and i really need to hear from people with experience.. Threadomancy is when people make a reply that doesn't bring anything new to the table after a long time - in this case, they do..