PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt High Elf Army Tourney

Jazzaar
28-10-2010, 15:03
So my local store has a 1500pt tourney coming up. Here is my list please take a second and help me make it stronger

lvl 4 Archmage
Folariath's Robe
Staff of Solidity
BSB Great Weapon
AoC and Guardian Phoenix 168

Core:
27 Spearmen FC 268
10 Archers 110

Special:
20 Phoenix Guard FC 330
12 White Lions Stand/Mus 198

Rare:
2x Greater Eagle 100

1499pts

Archmage in with spearmen BSB in with Phoenix Guard (Keeping White Lions close for the reroll stubborn).

D'Haran
28-10-2010, 16:57
I like the list, though I'd suggest looking into different equipment for your mage. Other than that it looks pretty solid, You could switch WL's with SM's, what with such a strong magic phase if you're taking life you may be able to get away with it handily.

Jazzaar
29-10-2010, 03:06
What would you switch up with the mage?

complexfire
29-10-2010, 18:31
I can see where your army is going.

At 1500pts I think taking a level 4 mage is a mistake. 2x lvl 2 mages are more affordable and allow you some margin for error. Also making your mage ethereal is not going to help you. (Ethereal chars can only join Ethereal units. Thus your mage is in the open to get slaughtered by others magic.)

Also why spear + archers? You can have both in one unit!!! :) Sea Guard!!

Also love Pheonix Guard! They rock!!! Always take them with the banner of arcane warding! MR now ADDS to your ward save. So the banner will give them a 2+ ward save vs. magic!! Very sticky.

I would change you list to the one below.

lvl 2 Mage w/ Ring of Corin = 155pts
19X Sea Guard w/ FC & Shields = 272pts

lvl 2 Mage w/ Feedback Scroll = 185pts *Kill and silly Vamp Lord who uses 6 dice!*
19X Sea Guard w/ FC & Shields = 272pts

Prince w/ AOC, Vambraces of Defence & The Amulet of Light = 251pts
19X Pheonix Guard w/ FC, Banner of Arcane Protection & Champ w/ Potion of STR = 360pts

Nice set of sneaky combos there!! I like the potion on the champ as no one expects it and he can kill a hero pretty quick w/ STR7 ASF and WS5. You could always switch the Amulet of light and the Potion of STR if you want and make your lord hit harder for a turn. Could be fun! :)

Give it a go.

You get three nice blocks of troops. Also you have a combined set of mages. Also don't forget w/ the 20 guys (5x4) you get 15x bow shots per unit. (fire in two ranks plus 1/2 shots from the remaining ranks)

Cheers
-Complexfire

mastrchief33
30-10-2010, 00:23
I can see where your army is going.

At 1500pts I think taking a level 4 mage is a mistake. 2x lvl 2 mages are more affordable and allow you some margin for error. Also making your mage ethereal is not going to help you. (Ethereal chars can only join Ethereal units. Thus your mage is in the open to get slaughtered by others magic.)

I agree that a level 4 with folariath's robes and an arcane item at 1500 is a bit expensive and unnecessary at this point level, but how does folariath's robes make the character ethereal? (the qualities it bestows on the character are similar to how the ethereal rule reads, but it doesn't say it grants ethereal) Also, I don't think that even if a character is ethereal makes it so he can't join a non-ethereal unit. It only specifies that a non-ethereal character cannot join an ethereal unit.

Anyway, the lore of life works perfectly for HE at lower point levels. Reason being is because there are no other elite armies in the game that can put that many buffs on their army. If you combine that with a solid shooting base and add in a hammer and anvil unit, you've got a well-rounded army. Great eagles are good, but I don't see a need for two at this points level. The BSB is also nice to have, but becomes more essential at higher point levels where you'll undoubtedly be taking more panic tests. For what is largely a four unit army, you should be able to benefit enough from inspiring presence when you need it. Combined with the naturally good Ld throughout the list, and the BSB becomes more optional for us than it is for most other armies.

I'd run something like this:
archmage - level 3, silver wand, lore of life 235
spearmen - x20, full command 205
lothern sea guard - x20, full command, shields 285
phoenix guard - x15, full command 255
white lions - x15, full command, ironcurse amulet, banner of eternal flame 270
repeater bolt thrower -100
repeater bolt thrower -100
great eagle - 50

Of course, if you know you're not going to see any regeneration than you can drop the banner of eternal flame on the white lions to give the gem of courage to the phoenix guard. As they are the most important unit in the list, it might be handy to have the GoC in your back pocket for a critical leadership test.

D'Haran
30-10-2010, 01:09
I'd stick silver wand on the mage and leave it, just like you did in the last post. If anything else at this point total I'd throw in a ward save. However with you taking a lvl 3 mage I'd be more tempted to grab the seerstaff or switch to the 2 mages.