PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of Empire over Warriors of Chaos?

tbdehart
29-10-2010, 02:08
So here's the thing... My record below shows 4 loses at this point. 3 of those are to a Warriors of Chaos army (the other being to a DoC army). The 2 wins are kinda lame considering that they were the result of my opponent having to concede due to time constraints (although I clearly remember having the advantage in at least one of those). Anyways...

My last defeat came due to all 4 of my artillery pieces being destroyed by the end of turn 2 (A spell, a misfire, Wulfric arriving bottom of turn 1 and a vanguarded marauder unit). Past artillery I see Empire as being at a major disadvantage to WoC. I ended up only killing my opponents general because I got into a 1 on 1 fight with him. What units can make Empire armies more competitive against WoC in the combat phase?

Torpedo Vegas
29-10-2010, 03:45
Honestly? We have no units that can compare to WoC's at all. I've found that a 40 man unit of swordsmen in a 5 wide 8 deep formation (DON'T HATE ME I HAD TO DO IT), with a Warrior Priest will perfrom well against Warriors. Handgunners really help out with Str4 and Armor Piercing. Flaggelants buffed with Speed Of Light form the Pope-Mobile will slaughter everything the charge at. It;s about supporting gargantuan blocks of infantry (which they can't do) with ranged fire and Lore of Light form the Waltar, Warriors Priests in units for re-rolls, and Metal Wizards to negate their armor. But our biggest strength is artillery, and yes, there will be games where it fails you.

Hashulaman
29-10-2010, 08:16
I concur, as a WoC player my biggest gripe with you empire players is you shoot me to pieces before I get into combat, all I got is Warcannons which can be nasty though.
You might want to go horde/gunline.

DivineVisitor
29-10-2010, 10:22
One of my regular opponents is a Warriors of Chaos player and i've yet to lose against him, were currently playing 1.5k points and the things i've found to be most effective have been simply whittling down his units with my mortar, cannon and dwellers below then finishing him off in combat with my units of 42 Halberdiers and supporting detachments of 20 Halberdiers, i have Steadfast and eventually finish them off. Flesh to Stone works wonders as well.

LordoftheBrassThrone
29-10-2010, 10:47
Empire have no advantages over WoC....

:P On a more serious note, I would take 3 gold wizards.... WoC absolutely hate the Lore of Metal. As Wulfrik can only enter the board where he can physically fit, if you play a refused flank with so little space he cant bring in Wulfriks marauders in your lines, he will have to be outside your protective corner. And those weak marauders will get in the way of any warriors/knights to that want to flank you. Or if that isn't good enough for you ;), then a large unit of outriders (with 360 line of sight) might panic them off the board, or cripple them enough to not be much of a threat.

Fox Of 9
29-10-2010, 12:36
Empire as a whole not so good untill you combine different strengths of our army im going to have to leave it at that going out :D Bye

CaliforniaGamer
29-10-2010, 14:25
Empire can handle WoC.

Begin each list with 2 great cannons+2 mortars and 1 engineer. Scale up from there.

mortar the unarmored maurader blocks to pieces
cannon the warriors/chosen
defend the artillery battery from fast cav with a stank.

add rocket battery to taste

Add seal of destruction and/or casket of sorcery to remove pesky spells like Pit of Shades or Purple Sun from the game.

tbdehart
29-10-2010, 15:02
Anyone have any thoughts on the practicality of a horde of Greatswords? I know that 430 points is a lot, but it seems pretty beastly in theory (with 30 ws4, s5 attacks, re-rollable with a warrior priest).

RanaldLoec
29-10-2010, 17:35
I own a big empire army, for taking out WOC's think armour piercing.

Handgunners
Outriders these guys are absolute murder to warriors
HELBLASTER volly guns strength 5 -3 save. Keep them near your other artillery and when wulfrik turns up let rip with it and combine with grape shot from your great cannons.

Minimise your infantry unit frontage and have deep ranks for steadfast.

Use road block units like flagellants to slow down the units and cause some damage.

To improve your artillery master engineers 2 can make your artillery far more deadly.

Concentrate your fire power, no do not split it pick one unit and shoot everything at it, this is the key to really hammering a WOC army with a gunline.

Magic is very fickle don't bet on it providing power dice when you need it.

Trust in steel, gunpowder and faith in sigmar (take warrior priests).

Just a few little tips.

grumbaki
30-10-2010, 02:44
Von Horstman's Speculum. His heroes have to challenge. So put it on a wizard, line him up and have a go at it.

I've also found that the sword of fate is wonderful against WoC. A 114 pt captain can destroy nearly any character if he can get a swing in.

Also, pistoliers are your friend. With so little shooting to face, they can do wonders.

Torpedo Vegas
30-10-2010, 02:50
Von Horstman's Speculum. His heroes have to challenge. So put it on a wizard, line him up and have a go at it.

I've also found that the sword of fate is wonderful against WoC. A 114 pt captain can destroy nearly any character if he can get a swing in.

Also, pistoliers are your friend. With so little shooting to face, they can do wonders.

I play WoC alot, and as such, I always give me Arch Lector the Speculum. What's that? Your tricked out Khornate Demon Prince, well, you see my Sword of Judgment? I also have this nifty little thing called...
Seeing they're faces as thier 700 point model is killed is great.