PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about playing again.

jp22102000
29-10-2010, 03:19
I got a collection of minis for the SBG when they first came out (I got a starter box set and a few boxes when each movie came out) but was rarely able to get anyone to play (it is often thought of as a kids game and can rarely convince any to try it) so I mostly forgot about the game. I remember a new edtion came out (which would be the big hard cover book) but never looked into it. I was told the game was supposed to be less "noobish" but never saw any rules. Has much changed in the new book?

Tarax
29-10-2010, 08:41
The hard-back book is 'War of the Ring' and stand apart from the boxed started sets, which are the 'Strategy Battle Game'. Though both use the same models, the system is quite different.

So, first you must decide which game you want to play, but you can play both. SGB is a skirmish game with a couple of dozen models each side, while WotR is a battle game with something like a hundred models or more on each side.

Hope this helps for a start. If you want to know more, feel free to ask.

ForgottenLore
29-10-2010, 18:10
Doesn't the Strategy Battle Game have a big hard cover rulebook too now, the One Rulebook?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat450005a&prodId=prod1140214

jp22102000
29-10-2010, 20:40
I was interested in the "Stratgey Battle Game", sorry I did not make that clear. I was wondering what, if any, differences are between the starter set rules books and the bid hardback for the Stratgey Battle Game. I was told that there were supposed to be a few rules changes between the books. The old rules were viewed as a "kids" game and many refused to even try it.

Recently I have been thinking of using the Mordhiem rules to do skirmish battles but I am curious to see what the new rulebook contains and what changes were made.

Jobu
29-10-2010, 21:51
Between the return of the king rulebook and the Big Blue Book ( aka the One Ring Rulebook for SBG ) there are only a handful of differences for the rules and profiles. You could probably get away with playing with the RoTK rulebook as long as your opponent knows that you are playing with that one.

Whitwort Stormbringer
29-10-2010, 23:56
As Jobu points out, you'll probably be fine with the RotK book in terms of game basics. The primary mechanics of the game didn't really change at all, there was no overhaul of the rules or anything like that and only a few point values were tweaked.

I think the single biggest change between the Return of the King rulebook and the One Rulebook was that in the hardback every model was assumed to be carrying a hand weapon unless specifically stated to be unarmed.

This led to some kind of silly distinctions. Uruk-Hai berserkers, for instance, initially only had the two-handed swords. Then RotK updated them to carry "berserker swords" (essentially elven blades), then the hardback reverted to just the two-handed swords but they also carry a dagger or something in their loincloth. Orc bows no longer have the "bladed bows" rules because now all archers have a hand weapon anyways.

A few other changes:

A cavalry model is able to use the strength and (I believe) attack stats of his mount on the turn he charges.

Will can be used to influence Courage rolls in the same way as Might.

I think it was in the hardback book that they started classifying characters by their race in brackets (i.e. a profile might read "Gandalf the Grey [Wizard]) - I'm not aware of any actual use for these distinctions, and they're applied somewhat inconsistently (or sometimes inexplicably not at all).

The big book also has a lot of profiles in it, and although I can't remember exactly who all is included in the RotK book, I think the hardback has a fair number more. In my opinion, it's almost worthwhile just for that. Characters are loosely categorized by faction, but there aren't any real force-building restrictions or anything like that.

Tarax
30-10-2010, 11:06
Doesn't the Strategy Battle Game have a big hard cover rulebook too now, the One Rulebook?

My bad. I don't really look at any of the SBG stuff, because I'm only interested in WotR. I just thought that most if not all releases for SBG were soft cover.

As the OP only wants to play SBG, I'll let you all take over.

Gondorian
08-11-2010, 11:54
I was interested in the "Stratgey Battle Game", sorry I did not make that clear. I was wondering what, if any, differences are between the starter set rules books and the bid hardback for the Stratgey Battle Game. I was told that there were supposed to be a few rules changes between the books. The old rules were viewed as a "kids" game and many refused to even try it.

Recently I have been thinking of using the Mordhiem rules to do skirmish battles but I am curious to see what the new rulebook contains and what changes were made.

When I played my first game of mordhiem I was initially struck by how similar some of the rules are.
If you're just starting LOTR (skirmish) then any of the rulebooks from fellowship to the big blue one will give you a good idea of how the system works and whether you enjoy it.
The big blue book is the current rules set used at tournament ect. and over all is mostly like the earlier editions. The main changes people have pointed out are points cost tweaks, the odd change to certain rules such as courage checks (fail and you leave the field, no more yo-yoing back and forth)

Its a shame you couldn't convince others to give it a try, have been on campaign since it started to kill this 'Kids game mentality'. I will happily say that the rules set is easier to learn than 40K, oddly enough its also easier to learn chess than 40K and both lotr and chess are far more tactical.