PDA

View Full Version : 2400 Daemons list, first shot! Tzeentch/Khorne

LegioX
29-10-2010, 04:49
Hey guys, after a lot of researching on the models I'd like to paint and and narrowing it to down Tzeentch/Khorne I thought I'd make a 'blueprint list' of what I'm going to buy/paint initially, so I know I won't paint something for a month and never get to use it.

I choose to neglect Nurgle because I'm not a huge fan of the models despite their quality, and I love Slaanesh models but the only thing I'd really take for them is the Seekers and for now I want to limit myself to two gods and not grab the best from each gods.

It looks something like this for 2400 points (the highest i'd be playing is 2500)

Lord of Change - Power Vortex

Herald of Tzeentch - Master of Sorcery, Spell Breaker,

Herald of Khorne - Armor or Khorne, BSB

29 Bloodletters - FC, Icon of Endless War

29 Pink Horrors - FC, Banner of Change

6 Flamers of Tzeentch - Pyrocaster

6 Flesh Hounds

3 Bloodcrushers - FC, Icon of Endless War

This is just a rough list using miniatures I want to collect and what i thought to be a good balance. I tried to make it fairly powerful in magic by including the pink horrors and giving them a clutch magic banner to thin down enemies that come in contact with, and a herald to give them the better ward save and boost my magic capabilites.

The bloodletters form my killer unit with a herald, and I basically have flesh hounds and crushers for the flanks, with flamers where needed. It seems like a very small army and gets for another bloodletter/daemonette unit, and I would even love to have another hound unit so I had at least one for each flank, but hopefully the Lord of Change can help boost a flank.

What do you guys think? Anything right off the bat that seems absurd, or is this a fairly decent list that I could work with the models to make it a bit better?

I had been considering x2 units of about 27 bloodetters with an extra herald, then a smaller unit of 10 pink horrors, but it was cheaper in points to boost the horrors up and drop the other bloodletters.

The main thing I was thinking of doing if I need points would be to drop the pink horrors by about 10, or even back down to 10 with no command and that could give me a 2nd hound unit if i take 5 of each.

Well any suggestions/comments would be much appreciated before I start going on a spending spree and painting up second rate units.

I'm always open on dropping the Greater Daemon, as he will take me FOREVER to paint anyway, and I can clearly see the opportunities for more models/units that arise when he is dropped.
...by the way, there isn't anything against taking multiple Daemonic gifts on different units is there?

LAV-Kitsune-
30-10-2010, 11:50
For a Tzeentch Khorne list this one is well balanced and you have chosen your gifts and unit sizes well. I would pinch some points to give LoC Dark magister though, as he is quite expensive model to lose to miscasts. Lore of Tzeentch works really well with him though, especially Glean magic, that is just wicked.

Pink horrors are bit squishy, so you might want to choose your heralds lore to make them tougher. Lore of shadow or metal might be good choises for some buffs/debuffs and good damage spells. You have picked banner of change, so I presume you are not going to just sit back and shoot bolts with your horrors.

RMacDeezy
31-10-2010, 03:56
right, as LAV said, get dark magister for the LoC, presumably by dropping the pyro on the flamers and one of the icons of endless war. presumably, the FAQ that classifies daemonic icons as magic standards means you can only have one of each anyway. if sc's are allowed in your group, i would say drop enough horrors to throw the changeling in that unit as banner-of-change+changeling will actually put a hurt on a good many units.

LegioX
31-10-2010, 09:09
Ah yes, Dark Magister! That is a great idea. don't know how I missed it.

The changeling is a cool idea. I love the model, but his price cost shied me away, but I guess just about any unit in the game has a model better than the pink horror regular champion, so it could always be a good way to get some extra kills for CR in, and definitely when its some beastly character!

I was thinking Life/Beasts for my Heralds, but metal/shadow allow some similar defensive things with probably better offensive capabilities.

Looking at the Bloodcrushers, I don't think a standard is the best idea, so I can save a bunch of paints there, and maybe upgrade a flesh hound to Karanak if I can really find some points!

thesheriff
31-10-2010, 09:22
You cant duplicate icon of endless war. Keep it on the letters

I would rather take a bloodthirster w. Infernal fury, armour of khorne than a lord of change.

Split the flamers down. Theres no reason not to. Gives you more target oppertunities and less overkill.

You can dismiss this if you want, but i would rather have 3 extra crushers than 6 flounds. especially since 3x2 juggers in monsterous cav. formation is really good.

Alternativly, have 5-strong unit instead of the hounds and bump the horrors up to lv.4.

thesheriff

LAV-Kitsune-
31-10-2010, 21:59
I would rather take a bloodthirster w. Infernal fury, armour of khorne than a lord of change.
I think Lord of Change is bit underrated at 8th edition. Sure he isnt as fighty as other lords, but he can really pack nasty stuff in magic phase. Boon of change gives more power and helps with low winds, glean magic casts all those nasty spells (13th spell from skaven, pandemonium from woc, dwellers from life etc etc.)on 7+ casting value. Gift of chaos behind enemy lines work well and bolt of change is still pretty much the toughest bolt in game, usually giving around 7 S10 hits.

Many players (especially opponents) seem to underestimate his fighting power. He still has 5S6 attacks and thunderstomp and with flying he can pick his fights and dodge all the nasties that might harm him. He can even charge some bigger T3 units and go pick characters like wizards from there since T6 and 5+ ward saves him from most of the attacks directer against him. Comparet to Bloodthirster thats usually just 2 attack less and no armorsave of 3+ but instead he has casting abilities. I usually play daemons in cycles, one game with thirster, second with LoC, third with GuO, 4th with KoS and 5th without greater to see and test them all equally. So far LoC has worked perfectly and really hasnt been any less usefull than his brothers =)

LegioX
05-11-2010, 04:14
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9061/img1779l.jpg (http://img72.imageshack.us/i/img1779l.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

So I've only got the skin done so far.

This is my first attempt at highlighting/layering as I have only really started out painting with drybrushing and moved on to dipping.

Comments on the scheme and where the highlight/shade is lacking/excessive would be welcome!

Bloodletter is next!

:evil:

[IMG]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5033/img1780v.jpg (http://img69.imageshack.us/i/img1780v.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

LAV-Kitsune-
05-11-2010, 10:38
Use more water and more thin layers to get smoother layering result. It is all about patience, but you should have like one portion of paint and 5to7 portions of water for a good result. Dont add too much paint on your brush but work with little paint and with many thin layers at time to make it work. It takes some time to master, but isnt really that difficult. This on the other hand might not be the best place to discuss about painting =P

thesheriff
05-11-2010, 21:44
A very typical rough and tumble style that evolves from drybrushers. You obviously have an eye for what colours go and how subtle you want your paint style to be. Just make sure you water down your paints.