PDA

View Full Version : 2k Ogres - new to WHFB

Lukasz_VT
29-10-2010, 12:15
I've been a 40k player for a while, but am getting disenchanted with how that system is progressing, so am getting very tempted to start WHFB. I once owned and understood the 7th ed rules, but have not got the 8th ed book. I've been reading around to try and pick up the differences!

I am very drawn to the Ogre models! Here is a list that I would like helpful C&C on, bearing in mind i don't yet have the 8th ed rules!

Once I am happy with a list, I'll decide for sure if I want to start forking out the money :D

Lords

Tyrant - 280
Sword of might, trickster's helm, mawseeker

Heroes

Bruiser - 205
BSB, runemaw, mawseeker, wyrdstone necklace*

Butcher - 155
Dispel scroll

Core

7 Ironguts - 346 (Tyrant and BSB here)
Bellower

7 Bulls - 255 (Butcher here)
Bellower

6 Bulls - 220
Bellower

3 Bulls - 115
Bellower

3 Bulls - 115
Bellower

35 Gnoblars - 70

35 Gnoblars - 70

Rare

Gorger - 75

Gorger - 75

Total = 1981

* The OK book says that the BSB cannot take any other magic items other than his banner, but I have seen lists that have these and the tactica suggests taking a ward save on him - where was this rule changed (if it was)?

The plan is to have lots of scary big things run toward the enemy with other scary big things turning up behind them (when they smell them, anyway!).

Is the list legal?
Are my units big enough?
Is it hard hitting enough?
Can I get some protection for my Butcher with the 20 odd points left?

Torpedo Vegas
29-10-2010, 17:38
BSB cannot take Magic Items if his Standard is magical. You can't take Mawseeker twice. I'd drop one of the units of bulls and add a scaplauncher. Your 3 man bull units will die very fast. I'd give the Butcher the Wyrdstone necklace. He is alot more fragile than he seems.

mr.silly
29-10-2010, 20:53
You can't take Mawseeker twice.

Wrong. OK Army book, p.58: "Different characters in the same army can have the same Big Name."

Otherwise, Torpedo Vegas makes a good point. Your butcher needs a ward save, and scraplauchers are great. I have found that bulls work wonderfully in units of 6 (3 wide 2 deep) and Ironguts in units of 8 (4 wide, 2 deep including characters). Any more becomes unwieldy, any less gets shot up and becomes useless rather quickly. Also, consider finding points for the Rune Maw standard on your Ironguts. On a 2+, you get the ability to transfer even the most painful spells from your most important unit to a group of gnoblars? Yes please.

Lukasz_VT
29-10-2010, 22:01
Wrong. OK Army book, p.58: "Different characters in the same army can have the same Big Name."

Otherwise, Torpedo Vegas makes a good point. Your butcher needs a ward save, and scraplauchers are great. I have found that bulls work wonderfully in units of 6 (3 wide 2 deep) and Ironguts in units of 8 (4 wide, 2 deep including characters). Any more becomes unwieldy, any less gets shot up and becomes useless rather quickly. Also, consider finding points for the Rune Maw standard on your Ironguts. On a 2+, you get the ability to transfer even the most painful spells from your most important unit to a group of gnoblars? Yes please.

Thanks for the suggestions! Runemaw was on my BSB, but I'll use the spare 20 points to buy the ironguts a standard bearer and switch runemaw to that ogre.

So the butcher needs the ward more than the BSB?

Is the scraplauncher really worth dropping 6 bulls? I could put the 2x3 bull units into one 6 ogre squad, saving 10 points on a bellower for another ward item for the hero without one.

Could you explain to my why the scraplauncher is worth dropping 6 bulls? Can it deal with something they cannot? I have mixed thoughts on the scraplauncher after reading the ogre tactica here. Some love them, some hate them.

Torpedo Vegas
29-10-2010, 22:02
HOLY CRAP I CAN HAVE MULTIPLE MAWSEEKERS?!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Oh this will be fun.

A fun tactic is to field like 5 gnoblars infront of the Scraplauncher. You basically cancel out "Bad Tempered" for 10 points.
Also, the Butcher had a very nasty habit of killing himself. Your entire magic phase rests on him, and he can't take armor, so he needs the Ward Save more than the BSB who can have armor.

Lukasz_VT
29-10-2010, 22:38
Good point about the butcher!

List update

Changes in red.

Lords

Tyrant - 292
Sword of might, brace of handguns (on the model!) trickster's helm, mawseeker

Heroes

Bruiser - 165
BSB, mawseeker

Butcher - 175
Dispel scroll, wyrdstone necklace

Core

6 Ironguts - 338 (Tyrant and BSB here)
Standard bearer with runemaw, bellower

5 Bulls - 185 (Butcher here)
Bellower

6 Bulls - 220
Bellower

6 Bulls - 220
Bellower

40 Gnoblars - 80

Scraplauncher - 165

Rare

Gorger - 75

Gorger - 75

Total = 1990

Can anyone suggest a decent magic item for 10 points for some protection for the BSB?

I dropped a few excess ogres, grouped the two small units together and dropped a load of gnobbers (!) to fit in a scraplauncher.

I feel happy that there is a good amount of ogres in this, as I they look awesome and gnobbers are, well its in the name ;)

But does it have enough umph? What can I do about chaos/blood knights knights or deathstars?

Torpedo Vegas
29-10-2010, 23:19
This is remarkably like my own list. About the Chaos Knights. Kill them with the Scraplauncher's pie plate large blast, or you'll die, but then again, C Knights kill EVERYTHING so its not that different. Those 40 Gnoblars are surprisingly useful with all that Sharp Stuff. Looks solid. Some would argue to use Trappers, but I cannot find a use for them. I guess I don't have the giant computer brain that the guys at Ogre Stronghold have.

mr.silly
30-10-2010, 02:41
Looks solid to me, very similar to a list I use. Deathstars tend to give Ogres a lot of trouble, and with barely any heavy shooting its tough to whittle them down. I haven't encountered many, but a Tyrant w/ Great weapon, Mawseeker, and a ward save can put a dent in them, especially with an Irongut bodyguard. Other than that, i'm just not sure, try an Ogre tactics site.

Torpedo Vegas
30-10-2010, 03:04
If you really want to troll some people, take leadbelchers, shoot and flee, then rally and charge. It will probably fail misarably most of the time, but when it works its hilarious.