PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Dark Eldar players!

Astraeos
29-10-2010, 17:05
After so long waiting, I think it's time to congratulate the Dark Eldar faithful who kept their armies and stuck it out.
I know new Codices are fairly regular these days, but let's keep in mind how long ago the last Dark Eldar book came out compared to how long (and how many) Space marine books there have been.
Yeah, a long time and I can imagine that there would be some who would've sold off their armies for one that had the attention, but as we all are aware that there was a number of people who were crying out for the next book. And getting a bit irked when a more popular army got it's book first, sorry guys but GW needs money to stay with us.

So after a long absence the Dark Eldar have a fantastic book, some awesome models and even a funny L'il Webway portal accessory!

And to you Dark Eldar players, I say congratulations. You held on and now your patience has been rewarded. Now go out and raid and claim souls and do the nasty stuff you do back in Commoragh!

Okay, this topic may be spam but I felt that after so long the relaunch of the Dark Eldar was more of an occasion rather than the next thing. So I thought what the hell? Let's celebrate it!

CoolKidRoc
29-10-2010, 17:17
:cheese: <-- can cheese dance to the celebration?

Desalbert
29-10-2010, 17:39
After so long waiting, I think it's time to congratulate the Dark Eldar faithful who kept their armies and stuck it out.
I know new Codices are fairly regular these days, but let's keep in mind how long ago the last Dark Eldar book came out compared to how long (and how many) Space marine books there have been.
Yeah, a long time and I can imagine that there would be some who would've sold off their armies for one that had the attention, but as we all are aware that there was a number of people who were crying out for the next book. And getting a bit irked when a more popular army got it's book first, sorry guys but GW needs money to stay with us.

So after a long absence the Dark Eldar have a fantastic book, some awesome models and even a funny L'il Webway portal accessory!

And to you Dark Eldar players, I say congratulations. You held on and now your patience has been rewarded. Now go out and raid and claim souls and do the nasty stuff you do back in Commoragh!

Okay, this topic may be spam but I felt that after so long the relaunch of the Dark Eldar was more of an occasion rather than the next thing. So I thought what the hell? Let's celebrate it!

I may not be a Dark Eldar player (yet) but I admire that you made this post-- it's quite true in every respect-- Now, we need to support the army and GWs trepid decision to re-release them

A great many props to those DE vets out there-- My father started 3rd edition DE so I kind of get where the relief must come form.

Enjoy the army, and if I do build one, I know I will

Hashmal
29-10-2010, 17:49
Yay for me! Ain't sold a single bit of my army all these years I've played it. Lost bits... well, let's not go there...

I look forward to seeing new Dark Eldar players ask me where I got my models. :D

Galatan
29-10-2010, 18:04
I must say, what a sportive refreshing post :) .

I too am really happy for all Dark Eldar fans. 2 good friends of mine have been waiting for years and years for new models and finally their patience is rewarded. I've sold my dark eldar years ago, but seeing the new models.....I feel the call of the True Kin once more :) (I would've started all over again anyhow, since the old doesn't mix well with the new models). Although it's also a pretty good time to start eldar now to counter balance all the DE army's ;) .

Anyhow.....Jeeeeeeeeej! *******' awesome new models!

Kelderaith
29-10-2010, 18:11
yup yup, congrats to all the vets of this army, they truly deserve it! I always wished to play this army but really wouldn't because their models were too much of a turn-off for me. Now seeing this reason gone, I think it'll be very hard indeed to resist the urge to start the army. I don't care much about the cry of "bandwagoner" or "cheese" I will potentially get, their models and rules seem just so ******* nice.

noT_Him
29-10-2010, 18:13
I still have the 4 battalion boxes i bought to build me the core of my former army :D it takes so much space i had to box it and garage it down :D no the models are so sweet i wont touch the old ones ( at least no untill i play a large apoc game on tenis court : D)

Dreachon
29-10-2010, 18:30
Well De finally got what they rightfully deserved, a brand new spanking codex and soem of the best min's that GW had made.

Souleater
29-10-2010, 18:39
Let's see how pleased you are with our new Kabals once we start reaving your souls....muahahahahahahahahaha! :D

Dragoon King
29-10-2010, 18:46
Take a pencil, get a notepad, and mark it down. As a diehard Chaos minion, I hate everything non-Chaos, but especially everything Eldar, but most of all Dark Eldar before the release. I used to tell people how GW should just get rid of them, they are terrible and not even really different that Eldar. Not to mention super-fruity. Now, they are my second favorite behind Chaos. I was hoping that if they did get a rework, they would at least be less offensive to the eye. I was shocked when I seen what they had transformed to. Kudos to Dark Eldar nuts, I wouldn't have stuck with them for that long. The ugly stupid stepsister is queen of the ball, and may very well be for a while to come. Plus Lilith is dead sexy. I may pick that mini up just to paint.

eldargal
29-10-2010, 18:53
Lelith does seem to be a big hit, everyone in my games club is buying one, not just the non-Dark Eldar players but the non-40k players as well. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being one of the most popular miniatures GW have produced. I've bought two.

DarkCube
29-10-2010, 20:36
I sold off all my old models for new ones :) The new plastics are fantastic.

Igradar
29-10-2010, 20:48
Your post is the reason I play this game.

I love you guys :)

The Orange
29-10-2010, 21:10
I don't want to sound mean but why should we congratulate them? Should those that didn't "stick it out" feel ashamed or not enjoy the new DE as much? Because I'm sure most everyone can and is enjoying the DE revamp, even if they weren't patient. I mean if it was that painful to cling on to their armies they they should have just picked up another one and just enjoyed the hobby while waiting for the revamp. Honestly I'd think it'd be a bit foolish to show such loyalty to an army if it didn't bring you at least some joy.

Mojaco
29-10-2010, 22:34
Take pick.

Congratulations for having to throw your army away and picking up a new one like the rest of us.

or

Congratulations for having an uglier army than the n00b DE players.

Just kidding, I'm happy for the DE players, but I doubt any exist that stuck to DE and DE alone for all those years. If they did... that'd be a bit sad really. I think we really should be congratulating the fans of DE, who finally get what they've waited for.

aylwong
29-10-2010, 22:50
Take pick.

Congratulations for having to throw your army away and picking up a new one like the rest of us.

or

Just kidding, I'm happy for the DE players, but I doubt any exist that stuck to DE and DE alone for all those years. If they did... that'd be a bit sad really. I think we really should be congratulating the fans of DE, who finally get what they've waited for.

Thanks for bringing pessimism to the table, I don't think we see enough of that on these boards :angel: .

But I think the guys that stuck it out, who played dark eldar because they thought they were, sorry, I mean ARE cool deserve praise. And they ARE at an advantage, as they can use their old army as a base, meaning that we get to see the new models fielded almost immediately, as they slowly replace the dark eldar player's old models! The rest of us have to start fresh, and it'll be MONTHS before our armies are ready for the field.

So I say cheers to those guys that stuck it out!

Lothlanathorian
29-10-2010, 23:13
I've always wanted a DEldar army, but didn't like the old models and don't buy metals unless I have to. As soon as I am done rebuilding my Marines (I haven't had an army since 3rd and started building a DIY with the new BA Codex), I will be making a small Wych Cult force. Dead sexy models in the hole range. Amazing special character models. I prefer to DIY everything in my army, but, like everyone else into 40K, I, too, want a Lelith.

So, for those who've been holding out for this codex and for those who liked the True Kin and always wanted some and are now finally starting, this is a glorious time.

chromedog
29-10-2010, 23:35
Those who stuck it out need to be congratulated.

There's a distinct lack of "stick-to-it-iveness" (tenacity) amongst many players.

Myself, I'm a fan of giving a carrot to those who did stick with it, and whacking the others - who can't stick with one thing long enough to learn it - with a big stick. The Carrot AND stick approach.

The Orange
30-10-2010, 00:13
Those who stuck it out need to be congratulated.
Congratulated for what though? For sticking with the army they like? I like my Tau and have stuck with them from years, do I deserve the same amount of congratulations? If I ever run into a guy who will only ever buy cars from Toyota should I congratulate him too? What about a lady that only chews Wriggles gum? I'm sorry but I don't see why we should encourage loyalty to one army.

There's a distinct lack of "stick-to-it-iveness" (tenacity) amongst many players... Myself, I'm a fan of giving a carrot to those who did stick with it, and whacking the others - who can't stick with one thing long enough to learn it
What explicitly are you talking about. That statement would make sense if you were talking about players that constantly change armies before finishing their last one, constantly jumping on the newest shiny thing. But I don't really think DE have really been in that boat. IMO their problem has always just been attracting players since they never had a stellar model range. Their rules weren't bad as I remember it, and I have yet to see anyone ever mention how underpowered the old DE codex was. Difficult to learn and use maybe, but never underpowered (like all the moaning about Dark Angels or Tyranids and such).

I have more then one army. I started 40k during 2nd edition with Eldar. Then came back to the game in late 3rd edition and started building a Tau army. Should I be smacked over the head by a stick just because I have 2 armies? Was I supposed to stick with Eldar for my entire life or something? What about people who used to collect Squat armies, should we boo them because they didn't "stick with it"?

Yes everyone should be happy that GW did some justice to the DE range finally. But what exactly is so fantastic about being loyal to one army? This is a game we play for enjoyment, why should I feel bad because I enjoy more then one army/game/hobby?

AngryAngel
30-10-2010, 00:49
I don't think anyone is saying you should reward people for having but one army. I have a bunch myself. Having more then one army is a good way we all support this hobby we love. I think the point simply is, this is a good day for DE players. Why not be a little happy the army you might love most in some cases is getting redone ? Why can't we be happy for our fellow man or women, in getting something good ?

I for one, will be gladly hopping on the bandwagon of this new releases. As the models look fantastic. For those whose only army has been for sometime DE, be happy too your finally getting some love.

I don't think anyone is saying feel bad about having more then one army. If that was the case I should feel really, really awfull.

I'll simply end by saying, I love me some warhammer, so lets all spread the love everyone. Can't we all be a family here ? I mean if the release of Dark Eldar, with all their ambient love and joy, can't bring us together, what could ?

TheLaughingGod
30-10-2010, 00:54
Gotta get your post count up somehow, eh?

Oh, and on topic: The models are gorgeous. Great release. Congrats all around.

unheilig
30-10-2010, 01:22
I have to confess... I played DE when they first came out, but have hopped around a lot since. but that's not gonna stop me from coming back home to Commoragh.

ago syb
30-10-2010, 01:22
I'm looking forward to the modelling opportunity getting all my old guys WYSIWYG with the new hotness. Also modelling haemis and some wracks. I went ahead and picked up a couple of the new kits but I'l be using them to fill in some special weapons gaps and festoon my dated raiders.

Oh and hurray for trouncing bandwagoners on a steep learning curve army >: D

TheLaughingGod
30-10-2010, 04:17
I'm looking forward to the modelling opportunity getting all my old guys WYSIWYG with the new hotness. Also modelling haemis and some wracks. I went ahead and picked up a couple of the new kits but I'l be using them to fill in some special weapons gaps and festoon my dated raiders.

Oh and hurray for trouncing bandwagoners on a steep learning curve army >: D

Not that I'm a bandwagoner, but given that I play a Dark Angels Battle Company and footslogging Guardian-based Eldar, I am not concerned about challenges.

starlight
30-10-2010, 04:48
Looking forward to seeing how my (former) DEWC plays under the new rules, and some of those new models are very likely to find places in the Wych Cult... :)

Kiras of the flame
30-10-2010, 05:27
for long we have been but a simple dream... a shadow of unrest that crept slowly, appearing as a bad dream and then dissipating just the same...

now the clouds grow darker... and as the skies turn black with every passing moment, the winds howl with fury, they cry for pain and agony... those men who belived that they have faced the horrors of the galaxy and they would see us coming a mile away...

what they will not see is the shadows that creep with knives in their hands, nor the poision that will soon burn their bodies. They will not see the danger until it comes to throttle their very lives until they grow weaker and weaker. They will pray for death, pleading for it's cold embrace... but we are not so forgiving.... no foe shall die until they scream out in pain until their throats run dry, their skin flayed, eyes bleeding and their bones broken.... then we will let them suffer... their tears our water, their cries our flesh...

there will be no sweet dreams tonight... now and forever... we are the Dark Eldar, we have returned, and the nightmare shall be eternal....

Shards of Basalt
30-10-2010, 05:59
I'm getting my old Warriors ready for beheading so that they may recieve the less ridiculous looking heads of the new Kabalite Warriors and Wyches.

They would've waited an eternity in the dark places of my home but in recent weeks they've been returning... shedding their former colour scheme in eager anticipation of emberking on a Realspace Raid with their new brethren.

Things seem less glorious for the Wyches, old Lelith fears her glorious new counterpart will dispatch her where she stands and her pewter forces are troubled by the fact that I saw no options for blasters... one way or another they will serve.

Meanwhile Lord Vect has dismounted from his Dais of Destruction for the first time this century having grown weary of just how often his little retinue breaks the bloody flying base.

Lastly the Incubi remain aloof, content to show the virtues of the Punisher to those who abandon it in favour of the Klave. A dark future awaits my enemies who remain... many of them have trancended the need for miniatures, content with their games of roleplay that don't usually cost an arm and a leg. Some remain though and I will hunt them to the ends of the Earth!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this :D

slingersam
30-10-2010, 12:10
Good luck to you all. I will be waiting with my BA's, and the future Grey knights, (tau may pop up but you guys are to fast for our targeting sensors). Get ready to eat my Chain swords and FNP.

eldargal
30-10-2010, 13:13
I think you are missing the point. A lot of people have been waiting a very long time for this release, they finally have it (almost), why not wish them well? No one is saying that Dark Eldar players are a special breed and deserve some kind of special reverence.
I hope you don't go to weddings and refuse to congratulate the bridal couple on the basis that they are marrying people they love anyway so why make a fuss.:p

Congratulated for what though? For sticking with the army they like? I like my Tau and have stuck with them from years, do I deserve the same amount of congratulations? If I ever run into a guy who will only ever buy cars from Toyota should I congratulate him too? What about a lady that only chews Wriggles gum? I'm sorry but I don't see why we should encourage loyalty to one army.

What explicitly are you talking about. That statement would make sense if you were talking about players that constantly change armies before finishing their last one, constantly jumping on the newest shiny thing. But I don't really think DE have really been in that boat. IMO their problem has always just been attracting players since they never had a stellar model range. Their rules weren't bad as I remember it, and I have yet to see anyone ever mention how underpowered the old DE codex was. Difficult to learn and use maybe, but never underpowered (like all the moaning about Dark Angels or Tyranids and such).

I have more then one army. I started 40k during 2nd edition with Eldar. Then came back to the game in late 3rd edition and started building a Tau army. Should I be smacked over the head by a stick just because I have 2 armies? Was I supposed to stick with Eldar for my entire life or something? What about people who used to collect Squat armies, should we boo them because they didn't "stick with it"?

Yes everyone should be happy that GW did some justice to the DE range finally. But what exactly is so fantastic about being loyal to one army? This is a game we play for enjoyment, why should I feel bad because I enjoy more then one army/game/hobby?

Kiras of the flame
30-10-2010, 15:38
Good luck to you all. I will be waiting with my BA's, and the future Grey knights, (tau may pop up but you guys are to fast for our targeting sensors). Get ready to eat my Chain swords and FNP.

the problem with that... is that we have that too... except we have posion to go with it =D

AngryAngel
30-10-2010, 17:34
Bah, feel no pain. Somethings hurt regardless. I look forward to my own small group of DE and as well, to engaging them with all the forces at my command. Let the raiders come, they will reap but a bitter harvest. Glory to the first man to die !!!!

Herman the Heathen
30-10-2010, 20:02
As an ork player since... well, 2:nd ed, I know what it's like waiting for a new codex. We did it for, was it 6,7 or 8, years? And I think the DE players waited even longer.

I hope your new Codex will be as brilliant as our is!

Have fun and happy hunting!

Void Reaper
30-10-2010, 21:20
Those models are awesome, the book looks cool, and my ork army is virtually done, so I'll be celebrating the arrival of the new codex in exactly the way GW wants me to: by buying a Dark Eldar army. :) It's a good time to be on a 40k kick.

DYoung
31-10-2010, 07:13
I'm in awe that Dark Eldar players were ever able to look at their own minis without vomiting.

slingersam
31-10-2010, 10:06
I'm in awe that Dark Eldar players were ever able to look at their own minis without vomiting.

Anyway if anyone tried to look at Dark Eldar with disgust they would be vomiting from all the poison

Lord of Divine Slaughter
31-10-2010, 12:20
Well I don't see what all the fuss is about. Sure those mandrakes and wyches look good, but the rest - come on hover boats??

Braden Campbell
31-10-2010, 12:40
...And to you Dark Eldar players, I say congratulations. You held on and now your patience has been rewarded. Now go out and raid and claim souls and do the nasty stuff you do back in Commoragh!

Thank you. Thank you very much.

For me, it's been ten years of being consistently outdone by other armies with newer modles and rules improvments, of being called "an asthetic army", and of increasing feelings of abandonment by Games Workshop. But our time is finally here!

Jind_Singh
31-10-2010, 19:22

Well aren't you just a wonderful walk in the park on a nice sunny day - what happened to you the day you posted the above! If you can't see the good in the posts and the thread let it be! I don't own Dark Eldar, never played with Dark Eldar, and doubt I'll ever play Dark Eldar, but I may just collect the models. Heck - I don't even play 40K, I am into WFB but I like collecting 40k models and reading the books (and from time to time I'll play an annual game or two)

But when you come into the hobby, find an army that calls to your immortal hobby soul, and become a collector - it's a wonderful thing. But then ELVEN YEARS go by without any model releases, any new book - what do you do? You have an army that you love but it's tough to play as each year better models come out for other ranges - but there was a reason the army you own IS THE ONE YOU OWN - you dig them.

Then 11 years later - nice new book, amazing new models - a chance to fall in love again - who can fall in love with the same partner TWICE, have a new honeymoon period - only this time it's even better - this time round not only does your partner have a stronger personality just full of surprises (New army book) but your partner has a killer sexy body (new models).

That's the whole point behind the posts and the thread - your post is like stepping on a fresh dog **** while taking a walk in that nice sunny day!

Thanks Mr Grouchy! Someone forgot to eat his happy pills before logging on to Warseer! I think you took the thread in a different way - NO ONE has even suggested that ANYONE feel bad for having more than one army - I own FIVE WFB armies, 2 40K, and just started a third 40K army - I don't feel bad, I just feel broke from all the $$$ that get sunk into my beloved hobby!

Sometimes you come across posters who can't see the woods for all the trees around them!!

Sheesh!

(Rant over)

DYoung
31-10-2010, 22:55
- a chance to fall in love again - who can fall in love with the same partner TWICE, have a new honeymoon period - only this time it's even better - this time round not only does your partner have a stronger personality just full of surprises (New army book) but your partner has a killer sexy body (new models).

^^^ This part is disturbing...

Jind_Singh
01-11-2010, 07:10
^^^ This part is disturbing...

Disturbing is my middle name - at least it would have been if my parents were cool enough to have thought of it all those years ago! As it is Singh is my middle name which isn't so meaningful as I have never been able to carry a tune!

Heck I can't even hum!

Wraithseer
01-11-2010, 10:16
Thanks guys. Yea we dark eldar players had to stick it out for a long time, most of use did play other armies at some point, we apologize. I don't think any of us totally forgot our beloved DE, the models were not great and over time the rest of the range made ours look ever worse. We got jerked around by rumors of a new codex till most of us had almost given up hope. Now we have a new codex and the most mouthwatering miniatures that GW has ever made. Good things come to those who wait....And in lots of ways it is like meeting that first girl and falling in love all over again.

Spell_of_Destruction
01-11-2010, 10:21
It looked grim for the Dark Eldar for a number of years (there were even rumours that they were going the way of the Squats at one point - credible or not) but now they have finally been given the attention they deserved. Hopefully this is a new dawn for the army and will see them become a mainstay in the lineup of 40k armies rather than some weird niche army played by only a handful of gamers.

I wonder if their inclusion in the 3rd ed box set had something to do with their ability to survive unsupported for so long? Everyone I know who has played since 3rd ed has some Dark Eldar warriors kicking around!

Shards of Basalt
01-11-2010, 15:21
Well I don't see what all the fuss is about. Sure those mandrakes and wyches look good, but the rest - come on hover boats??
The Warriors have this incredible Melniboneans in space aesthetic to them and superfluous horns aside the new Incubi look pretty lovable with their nasty looking two handed-swords.

The Raiders are an acquired taste, yes.

unheilig
01-11-2010, 16:28

If you don't get the "hover boat", I doubt it can be explained to you. Rest assured, its the best part.

TimLeeson
01-11-2010, 16:33
I'm certainly excited and happy that I am able to do the DE army I have wanted to for so long. I cant wait to get the new Codex and Urien Rakarth model in the post :D I will wait however until all the other haemonculi stuff is released before I spend more money (I want plastic Wracks dammit :P) but hey iv waited this long already :p

Kisanis
02-11-2010, 00:15
Take pick.

or

The way I see it is that old minis (I mean, every army has its ugly old ones) Are a badge of honour, like a battlescar. It doesn't look good, but its not supposed to, its a sign that you stuck it out and came out ontop. :D

My best friend and I started 40k in 3rd, While I quickly ditched the marines for the glorious imperial guard. He stuck through DE for years, only recently taking up GK and then BA. DE players are the true fanatics that keeps GW going, proving that no matter how ridiculous their decisions seem to us players, we stick by it and just keep chugging along.

Enjoy the party guys, its what DE does best :evilgrin:

Kiras of the flame
02-11-2010, 02:36
As an ork player since... well, 2:nd ed, I know what it's like waiting for a new codex. We did it for, was it 6,7 or 8, years? And I think the DE players waited even longer.

I hope your new Codex will be as brilliant as our is!

Have fun and happy hunting!

yeah... Ork Player here as well... we all feel the pain of WAITING

well it should be good since Phil Kelly is behind it...

I love the guy because he makes good codex's (unlike matt ward and his love for space marines...)

02-11-2010, 02:53
I agree with this message.