PDA

View Full Version : Plague Squall and characters

Mooseman007
29-10-2010, 20:08
So I "shot" a plague squall at a unit and the template was over a character in the unit. The character failed his look out sir, now what happens?

The spell says that ever unit touched takes 3D6 hits, so does the character take 3d6 hits and then his unit or do I randomize those hits onto the character and the unit at the same time?

jaxom
29-10-2010, 20:14
The Look Out, Sir roll is a red herring. There was no point in doing it.

The Character is already part of a unit that was touched. The unit he is in will take a total of 3d6 hits and no more. The hits will be distributed as shooting which is covered in the BRB.

RanaldLoec
29-10-2010, 23:12
Plus I believe the look out sir is vs warmachines not magic.

sulla
30-10-2010, 04:17
As per the main rules FAQ, it now works on all templates.

Hashulaman
30-10-2010, 05:14
I would think he takes 1 hit and the rest are on the unit.

RanaldLoec
30-10-2010, 09:16
Thanks Sulla I missed that.

jaxom
01-11-2010, 15:33
The character is part of the unit. The unit takes 3d6 hits and the BRB covers how to distribut them. Arguing otherwise is the same as arguing that every model could be its own unit and therefore each model touched must be hit first (which is not what the BRB says).

Tregar
01-11-2010, 17:18
Yep, it's a red herring. You could wonder what would happen if a character by himself near a similar unit was hit by the Plague Squall, though...

jaxom
01-11-2010, 17:44
Again, no wondering. He's a unit unto himself at that point and in a world of hurt.

(Look at it this way. If he was near a unit of skirmishers would you then pay a -1 to hit for trying to shoot him since your eventual target might be the skirmishers? No. You hit and then before you try to wound you take your Lo,S. That means he'd take the 3d6 hits and then try to look out.)

H33D
01-11-2010, 18:23
since the template doesn't affect only the models underneath and instead just determines if a unit is hit or not, i would say that all hits would be allocated to the unit like normal shooting.

Harwammer
01-11-2010, 20:26
The template doesn't decide which individual models are hit, rather which whole units are hit. The 3d6 3and distribution rules) decide which models are hit.

Some one mentioned a lone character (counts as it'd own unit) earlier. If the lone character was covered by the template and close to another unit of a similar type would he get look out sir rolls against each of his individual 3d6 hits?

jaxom
01-11-2010, 20:49
I don't think he gets it in this case.

The logic is as follows. A single character forms a unit which is no different from a unit of two characters or a unit of one character and some rank and file. The unit takes hits based on a die roll.

Lo,S affects things after they are hits, not before (otherwise you'd roll before hits were determined and use the to-hit modifiers of the new target, right?). So you've got to go through the process up to the point that the lone character has taken 3d6 hits. At this point it is no different from a character who was hit by a Fireball and as I recall that does not fall under the current FAQ. It's not shooting and it is not a magical template.

(Essentially this is another example like The Dreaded 13th. If the opponent has this, don't run lone characters or you're just asking for it.)

Tregar
01-11-2010, 22:01
Again, no wondering. He's a unit unto himself at that point and in a world of hurt.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I was wondering if he would he get the look out sir roll that all lone characters are entitled to if he was by himself and by a unit of the same type, and if so would it be for the entire template hit, or the individual hits caused afterwards..?