PDA

View Full Version : Musician models as BSB's

SamVimes
30-10-2010, 00:46
As the title suggests, I'm curious what peoples reaction would be to using an impressive musician mini in place of a standard bearer for their army's BSB.

Thought?

the_slosh
30-10-2010, 00:52
I think it is a very suitable idea especially for some armies like Woodies for example; hiding in the woods can't really see a banner instead hear the massive horn blowing that signals the attack. Very cool

As long as you make it impressive and cool I think you wont have any troubles what so ever (just tell your opponent)

The bearded one
30-10-2010, 00:58
Giving your opponent a heads-up at the start of the battle when deploying goes a long way. Usually it's handy to do that anyway so both players are clear on what unit is what. My longbeards are made from the plastic warrior/longbeard kit, so it pays to be clear before starting, same goes for an army battle musician.

SamVimes
30-10-2010, 01:02
Yeah, I'd definitely point the model out beforehand. That's just common courtesy :)

sssk
30-10-2010, 06:17
Sounds like a good plan as long as it's suitably noticeable that the model is a character etc. What army do you play?

As mentioned above, wood elves, or beastmen, particularly would be good for such an idea, but there are other armies where I could see it used (maybe the skaven or goblins are particularly "scared" of the big loud horn, and therefore "inspired" to do what the boss says).

It also allows for some interesting conversion and a unique model which other people won't have. Good talking point.

Musicians in my opinion are the most important command model in many many situations, so they deserve some recognition, and a BHB/BDB (Battle Horn Bearer/Battle Drum Bearer) would be a good way to give them that respect.

If you play goblins, give the guy the pipes of doom and you're sorted fluff-wise too.

mrtn
30-10-2010, 11:41
If you play goblins, give the guy the pipes of doom and you're sorted fluff-wise too.
Good idea. Or the Pipes of Piebald for skaven. There's a couple of impressive beastmen horns as well I think.

I think it sounds like a good idea, as long as it's an impressive model, and not just "random musician #5". :)

Braad
30-10-2010, 13:44
I've got a black orc that carries a drum to represent the horn of urgok. Not really a battle standard-stand in, though, but I still think it's funny. It allows me to make a sort of character command group...

If you make it a cool model, that really stands out to be more than a normal musician, then I think it is an awesome idea!

It might pay of, though, to carry some sort of spare BSB with you when go play against a new opponent, in case he might make a problem.

Lord_Elric
30-10-2010, 14:10
Cool idea

something along the lines of the LOTR goblin drum would be cool

I think it would probably only suit certain armys though

Dwarves, Skaven, OnG, Beastmen, Ogres, Mauraders and mayb empire

Armys such as Elves (DE,HE,WE), Vampire counts, Tomb kings, Warriors of chaos, I imagine more as silent elite forces(or dead ones for that matter)
and though dwarves can also an elite disiplined army Dwaven horn blower just seem to fit soo well

SamVimes
30-10-2010, 14:42
It's for my maidenguard army. The base model is the official gw maidenguard hornblower. The rest o the army is going to be war-games factory amazons when they get released, so the gw models should stick out pretty well. I was planning on mounting her on a cool base to make her stand out even more, but I think I might include a fallen enemy BSB on the base just so there's a visual cue that this is the army BSB. Thanks guys.

Dwalin
30-10-2010, 21:58
Yes yes and yes!!!

I love the idea of a musician as a BSB, especially for wood elves and beastmen.
I hope to convert one for myself in the not too distant future :)

Torpedo Vegas
30-10-2010, 22:51
That gives me an idea for my Ogres. I love the idea of an Ogre standing atop a pyramid of Gnoblars shouting at the top of his lungs. Great idea.

mrtn
02-11-2010, 02:23
I'm reading the Osprey book on the Mongols ATM, and a Battle Standard Drummer would make perfect sense if you're making a Mongol-inspired force. :)

Lordsaradain
02-11-2010, 14:42
Not a bad idea. ;)

SamVimes
02-11-2010, 20:05
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af205/SamVimes_album/IMG_4496.jpg

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af205/SamVimes_album/IMG_4497.jpg

Thought I would throw up pics of what it ended up as. I didn't do the banner on the base because a 20mm base just does not have much room, especially after you throw part of a ruin on it ;)

theorox
02-11-2010, 20:08
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af205/SamVimes_album/IMG_4496.jpg

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af205/SamVimes_album/IMG_4497.jpg

Thought I would throw up pics of what it ended up as. I didn't do the banner on the base because a 20mm base just does not have much room, especially after you throw part of a ruin on it ;)

Nice, but to be honest i'd move her back on the base a bit so that her feet are on it.

Looks good!

Theo

SamVimes
02-11-2010, 20:12
Yeah, I put the pin for her feet in the wrong place, but after all the trouble I've had with her over the last two days, she can stay where she is :)

theunwantedbeing
02-11-2010, 20:33
Provided you don't have them hanging off the edge of their base for no reason and you let me know that it's a BsB, I see no issues with it.

It could even look especially cool.