PDA

View Full Version : Guardsman Life expextancy

Hashulaman
29-10-2010, 23:55
What the average life expectancy for a Guardsman? An active one, not these ones that have desk jobs or pull guard duty. My guess its brutaly short, then again I'm sure medical technolgy is pretty good.

UselessThing
29-10-2010, 23:57
15 Hours. Like in the book.

Iverald
30-10-2010, 00:03
0.14s

from the commencment of battle.

Chem-Dog
30-10-2010, 00:18
Too many variables.

Where, when, why, who are all things that'll effect the final outcome.

And while front line Guard duty CAN be extremely hazardous to your health, just because you're a front line trooper doesn't mean you'll be assigned to an active front line or indeed to front line duty, you could be sat in trenches for years or hurled into the battle seconds after achieving high orbit around the planet you're gonna be fighting on.

Hashulaman
30-10-2010, 00:27
In combat conditions, can the average guardsman live long? Or is it like so

Seargant: Welcome Private Speedy, stick close to me and you might make it out of this.

Pirvate: Yes si- *CHOMP*

Seargant: Not again, Damn Nids.

Vaktathi
30-10-2010, 00:33
What the average life expectancy for a Guardsman? An active one, not these ones that have desk jobs or pull guard duty. My guess its brutaly short, then again I'm sure medical technolgy is pretty good.

Depends on the conflict, regiment type (armored, infantry, siege, artillery, mechanized, airborne, etc) current opposing force, and about a billion other variables.

In some warzones for something like a siege regiment, a lifespan measured in hours or even minutes on the front might be normal. For an artilleryman in a rather low intensity conflict, it might be no different than a human norm.

Aun'aart'al
30-10-2010, 00:36

Seargant: Welcome Private Speedy, stick close to me and you might make it out of this.

if you give an example of a particular warzone it might help us determine how long your troopers might last. As mentioned above, a guardsman can live for years in trench duty after they've achieved orbit, or they can die seconds after the shuttle doors open

UselessThing
30-10-2010, 00:58
If you want IG superveterans like Ibrahim Gaunt or Richard Sharpe who can lead human wave attacks time after time and come away with only a manly gash to their forehead you are well within your rights.

On the First Day of the Somme, which is kinda every day in the Imperial Guard, about 100 to 120,000 (British) men were involved in the fighting, of whom 20000 were killed and 35000 wounded.

Cry of the Wind
30-10-2010, 01:35
15 hours or 15 years. All depends on which author is telling your story and if you have a name or not...

Brother Antonios
30-10-2010, 03:06
Read the book 15 hours, one of the best IG books simply for the gritty day to day (or um not quite that long) of guard in a front-line battle.

With a million worlds and who knows how many conflicts across the Imperium it's just not feasible to give an accurate number. Remember the Administrate of Tera does not even know (or care) the exact number of guard deployed across the galaxy at any given time.

Grunt guard are expendable both in fluff and in game :)

Also remember while med-tech and bio-mech is super advanced it's also very expensive so only reserved for the Astartes, Mechanicum, etc. Only the Commissar level and above get decent medical attention and augmentations most of the time.

Aiwass
30-10-2010, 03:14
It depends, when more time expend you to painting them, then less life expectancy they have.

Shadowlance
30-10-2010, 04:04
Not long.....and we'll leave it at that....

Shadowlance

starlight
30-10-2010, 04:51
Exactly as long as the author gives them. No more, no less...

Some will be killed before they even enter battle, others will die of old age after retiring on some remote planet...

Sinisterfence
30-10-2010, 20:21
As mentioned, 15 Hours (good book!) is the general life expectancy of grunts in most conflicts, those who survive that tend to be considered veterans ;)

Corvussanctus
30-10-2010, 22:09
There is this great Turnsignals on a Landspeeder Comic where the new recruit is shot dead out of the blue instantly...although the regiment isn't even involved in combat. :)

KingDeath
30-10-2010, 22:48
Depends on your regiment.
Death Corp of Krieg at the Tyranid front? Well, you are pretty much *********.
Some well trained Cadian who has the luck not to serve in the 13.Black Crusade but is "just" stationed on some rebel world? Well, you just might be able to celebrate your next birthday. If you are lucky...

spetswalshe
30-10-2010, 23:19
As mentioned, 15 Hours (good book!) is the general life expectancy of grunts in most conflicts, those who survive that tend to be considered veterans ;)

That's for just one specific meatgrinder trench war - and it's difficult enough to believe, when every character in the book apart from two have survived for eight years (IIRC). Really, unless they're putting the new guys on the front line and letting the 'veterans' take secondary roles, it doesn't make any sense; a long-server will obviously have a better handle on how to survive, but in a war like that it's mainly just luck (assuming the new guys know not to stick their head over the parapet). The Guard is known for having high casualty rates, but you can't put a figure on it.

Col. Tartleton
31-10-2010, 00:41
Two main factors:

A. Which part of the line did the superhuman enemies attack?

If its you're section you're pretty dead pretty quick.

B. Did you try to fight, flee, or hide?

If you tried to fight? Seconds.
If you tried to flee? Seconds.
If you tried to hide? Just over a minute...

RayvenQ
31-10-2010, 10:05
15 Hours. Like in the book.

15 Hours isn't the expected lifetime of a guardsman. The book particularly says that 15 hours is the expected life time of a replacement guardsman in the city of Broucheroc.

In other places it could be different.

MortalTurky
31-10-2010, 10:28
But it is stated in Ice Guard as well, that the expectancy is around fifteen hours, but for Valhallanīs itīs like seventeen I think. :D

El_Machinae
31-10-2010, 16:15
Well, you have better odds of surviving basic training that surviving stage 4 cancer. So, that's a bonus.

After that: ... it's a lottery.

Polaria
31-10-2010, 16:55

Considering that in fluff Imperial Guard seems to be actually pretty good in winning battles it is worth assuming that retarded stupidity or sacrificing men for no gain isn't something they consider a sound tactic. Thus I'd say the Imperial Guard expects the guardsman to live at least long enough to actually accomplish something... like, for example, killing enemy. Of course enemies try to avoid being killed by killing the guardsmen first, but since IG actually does win battles, it isn't quite so automatic.

abasio
31-10-2010, 17:16
Better than the 20 minuters :P

Feyaden
31-10-2010, 17:36
I don't remember where I read it, it might have been in the actual battle of Armageddon held in Lyon France year 2000, but they had a little printed supplement:
Armored regiment
3/10 die within the first 5 hours of deployment
5/10 are wounded withing the first 12 hours
2/10 are re-assimilated into other units as the command structure breaks down.

-Repeat.

Edit: Steel Legion Mechanized*, which are conscript troops.
From personal experience from that era, if you were inside vehicles you used to die way faster than you do now. I remember they were death traps so I rarely fought from inside of them using them as cover when I could and running away from behind the tank in case they exploded and scattered to me.

Yresk
31-10-2010, 18:32
all depends on a situation. but its not a loose ass winn all situation. the Guard have numbers on their side. sure a guardsman dies. but the war might be won anyway. and some soldiers know the way of war quickly to learn wbout when to dogde and when to run like hell.

you only see those that are dead and gone, in real life. soldiers always loose troops but they bring in the renforcements.

one life can be 50 secounds and die by a lycky blast. or he can be wounded and being able to return to service. in gaming standards, being reduced to zero wounds they are out of action, not dead.

FabricatorGeneralMike
31-10-2010, 19:29
But it is stated in Ice Guard as well, that the expectancy is around fifteen hours, but for Valhallanīs itīs like seventeen I think. :D

I would say maybe 12 hours if Chenkov is leading the assault. :shifty: