PDA

View Full Version : Purple sun calarification

Lord_Elric
30-10-2010, 12:52
This came up in a game earlier this week and i was wondering how other members have been playing this hopefully this should provide some insight into how ill be dealing with this spell in the future providing ive been playing it correctly.

After the intial casting and the template moves when the template lands over a unit it is moved 1" beyond that unit in the direction it was moving.

1) my opponents arguement..The template hits models it moves over when making this compulsory move.

2) my arguement..The template is only moved beyond the unit so that it can be placed and doesnt hit any additional models whilst making this move..

to save argueming we just rolled off and i wond the roll but we just accepted it and forgot to come back to it after the game..

My piont is that if no*2 is correct this spell power scrolled or not need not be a problem in rounds after the first time it is cast.

I simply reformed a unit of 5 harpys into a line and moved then into the path of the template with only a single harpy touching the template the harpy passed its I test but the template was then frced to move along the direction it was last moving almost 12 inches so that it was 1 inch beyond the furthest model in the unit pushing it off the board.

no need to waste power dice on it

And if done correctly id imagine it being possible to pull this of with something as cheap as a 10 man gobbo unit with a single goblin hero and Intiative potion or even slingshot a purple sun deep into enemy deployment zone, or even return an enemys purple sun too them at very little risk

Mid'ean
30-10-2010, 13:28
It was FAQ'd that it hit models on it's initial roll. No other models are hit when moving it out of a unit/units

Lord_Elric
30-10-2010, 13:33
So if it cant be placed behind the unit it hits because of say another unit behind them it keeps getting moved further and further correct???

Archangelion
30-10-2010, 13:34
That is correct. It moves untill it is not over a unit, and thus it can be forced off the board.

Grimskarr
30-10-2010, 14:12
FAQ, p.6, first question.

(note: the FAQ starts its page numbers at 2)

Palatine Katinka
30-10-2010, 22:50
I simply reformed a unit of 5 harpys into a line and moved then into the path of the template with only a single harpy touching the template the harpy passed its I test but the template was then frced to move along the direction it was last moving almost 12 inches so that it was 1 inch beyond the furthest model in the unit pushing it off the board.

Do vortexes move when models move into them? All I see is the vortex keeps moving if it ends its move over a unit. Nothing about what happens when a unit ends its move on a vortex... Then again I must be missing something as I can't find anything saying they actually do damage when moving in subsequent turns. Although the FAQ does say you take damage for moving through it.

Grimskarr
31-10-2010, 00:54
I'm assuming your thinking of a compulsory move where a unit is forced into the vortex or maybe the unit is not very vulnerable to the vortex (ie. Elves and the Purple Sun of Xerxes) and choose to brave its effects.

In any event unless there is a ruling I'm not aware of, it only makes sense to resolve the effects of the vortex on the unit entering it.

The reason, as I see it, that you bounce a vortex out of a unit at the end of its movement without resolving more hits is 1) care taking (keeping the battlefield neat) and 2) preventing vortex's from destroying a good game (can you imagine bouncing the Purple Sun along a Dwarf battle-line? Hilarious the first time - maddening beyond belief though when happens over and over again; not fun at all).

Lord_Elric
31-10-2010, 01:30
I'm assuming your thinking of a compulsory move where a unit is forced into the vortex or maybe the unit is not very vulnerable to the vortex (ie. Elves and the Purple Sun of Xerxes) and choose to brave its effects.

In any event unless there is a ruling I'm not aware of, it only makes sense to resolve the effects of the vortex on the unit entering it.

The reason, as I see it, that you bounce a vortex out of a unit at the end of its movement without resolving more hits is 1) care taking (keeping the battlefield neat) and 2) preventing vortex's from destroying a good game (can you imagine bouncing the Purple Sun along a Dwarf battle-line? Hilarious the first time - maddening beyond belief though when happens over and over again; not fun at all).

im merely thinking of something to do to people that be generaly power gamers and power scroll said purple sun therefore abusing the placement of the template to move it out the way sorta rubbing salt into a tiny wound after they think they got yah it not a sporting thing to do but nor is the abuse of certain over power powered items

Archangelion
31-10-2010, 15:45
I see no problem in strategectly placing your units to cause the purple sun spell to be less effective. It is a tactic, not a dirty underhanded trick. And tactics in my book, Lord_Elric, are why Warhammer games are so much fun. Play on!

Lord_Elric
31-10-2010, 19:49
I see no problem in strategectly placing your units to cause the purple sun spell to be less effective. It is a tactic, not a dirty underhanded trick. And tactics in my book, Lord_Elric, are why Warhammer games are so much fun. Play on!

well im not really seeing it as a straight forwrd tactic moving a conga line of shades/harpys lined up to force the purple sun to move a whole 12 inches just because one model touched the template, so probably wouldnt do it who "just got lucky" and pulled it off despite my dispel attempt, or if hed cleverly tricked me into using up dispel dice first. Thats fine but i hate people who power scroll uber spells like that basing there whole game plan on that single spell doing enuf to win them the game, therefore im trying to find equaly underhanded ways of dealing with said spells.

if any of you come up with a DE way of dealing with techlis in general by the way lemme know :P

Archangelion
31-10-2010, 19:53
Turn him into a frog with the curse scroll?

Lord_Elric
31-10-2010, 19:56
Turn him into a frog with the curse scroll?

u cant if he IF tho can you??? plus he basicly has 3+sv against it in theory his lack of ward save make him suseptable to fate of bhuna tho im wondering im also wondering if shadowblade has the stuff to drop him in a round too could be worth it him being 125 pts cheaper

Archangelion
31-10-2010, 20:01
Shadowblade is pretty sick. It would be a quick way to dispatch him. I think combat is probably your best bet in the end.

Lord_Elric
31-10-2010, 20:35
only problem with shadow blade is if theres another character in teclis's unit can force him into a challenge, Teclis in a unit of pheonix guard led by caradryan is a pritty sickening thing

I do fins it funny how theyve given probably one of the best magic weapons in the game to teclis whos just crap in combat without it lol
wounding on 2+ without saves is pritty dam wicked tbh

Glasscannon
31-10-2010, 23:13
While this isnt usable for most armies Speed of light is a pretty decent defense against the Purple sun 1hit wonder. It wont be up every turn but it at the very least causes the opponent to think hard about his dispel priority and hes not likely to use his power scroll when the biggest targets for the spell are initiative 10.

Archangelion
01-11-2010, 00:39
Unfortunatly, the only feasable way for the Dark Elves to gain that spell, is to use the wizard hat on one of his/her Dreadlords.

BattleofLund
01-11-2010, 01:11
Unfortunatly, the only feasable way for the Dark Elves to gain that spell, is to use the wizard hat on one of his/her Dreadlords.

... I'm assuming you would want the spell lore for protecting a Hydra, then?

Palatine Katinka
01-11-2010, 02:23
if any of you come up with a DE way of dealing with techlis in general by the way lemme know :P

I've never tried it but Morathi in combat with her sword option might work... Killing him with a single hit because he has one attack.

Archangelion
01-11-2010, 09:49
If she wounds him that is.

Lord_Elric
01-11-2010, 09:56
If she wounds him that is.

true but morathi isnt terrible really and teclis has no save wot so ever to speak of either

Archangelion
01-11-2010, 10:07
True, she isn't terrible. But I wouldn't be risking her in combat either if I can avoid it. She is a mage first and foremost.

PeG
01-11-2010, 10:41
If you can reach him almost any unit will kill him in close combat. Problem is that it is relatively unlikely to happen. Since Teclis is likely to have a combat hero next to him (to take care of shadowblade, small flying or very fast units etc) anyone stepping up to fight him will have to deal with that threat as well but most RnF should be able to kill him as well provided that you have enough of them to survive the first round of combat.

madden
01-11-2010, 12:20
Just use wulfric from chaos nominate him and he can't be subed plus he only ifs if he reaches casting value as well for the spell he's not all that.

Lord_Elric
01-11-2010, 12:42
Just use wulfric from chaos nominate him and he can't be subed plus he only ifs if he reaches casting value as well for the spell he's not all that.

Unfortunatly i play DE not WoC and um hes not all that you try casting dwellers with 6 dice without rolling a double his average roll is 25 hed need 21 to cast it boosted i know WoC have quite a resiliance to DB, PoS, PS due to having both high intiative and high strenth but against WoC a smart HE player would just take Lo metal giving him final trans still same problem end of the day.

ok granted its not as powerful and only effects wulfrik on a 6 but given it can be cast at lower and has 36 inch range hes gonna get it off a couple times before you get to him. Also wulfrik would have to reach teclis unwounded atall else teclis will strike first and have a reasonable chance of killing him wulfric having no ward save to speak of and theres nothing stopping teclis leaving his unit on the turn hes expecting a charge and standing behind it if wulfrik is forced against someone like caradryan (which is a combo i see often)

Wintermute
01-11-2010, 19:39
May I remind everyone of the existence of the Posting Guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/warseers_posting_guidelines) which you all should have read and be familiar with specifically this one

2) The language of this forum is English. Whilst it may not be your first language, please try to make yourself understandable. Remember most of the members probably do not speak your native language either. Please do not use numbers instead of words, for example some1, and sms-talk, for example I'm going 2 b good.

Wintermute