PDA

View Full Version : Magic Strength and charging questions

DwD
30-10-2010, 15:30
Hi, I was wondering if the strength of a magic missile lowers the armour save similiar to what close combat strength does? Or are you only allowed to save vs magic missiles if you got a ward save?

Also if 2 units are positioned like this. If the unit which is made of Y's charges the X unit. Do you flank attack him, or do you end up face to face?
And also how do you measure the movement? If Y ends up in the rear, you measure from the farthest Y to the closest X? Or how do you wheel?

And another question that came up for us during play was if I indeed rear flank do I only get to hit the 2 on the side, or do I use all my attacks if I kill the 2 on the side does he move new targets to maximize contact?

XXXXXX
XXXXXX

---------YYYYYYY
---------YYYYYYY

Appreciate the help!

Lord_Elric
30-10-2010, 15:52
Hi, I was wondering if the strength of a magic missile lowers the armour save similiar to what close combat strength does? Or are you only allowed to save vs magic missiles if you got a ward save?

Also if 2 units are positioned like this. If the unit which is made of Y's charges the X unit. Do you flank attack him, or do you end up face to face?
And also how do you measure the movement? If Y ends up in the rear, you measure from the farthest Y to the closest X? Or how do you wheel?

And another question that came up for us during play was if I indeed rear flank do I only get to hit the 2 on the side, or do I use all my attacks if I kill the 2 on the side does he move new targets to maximize contact?

XXXXXX
XXXXXX

---------YYYYYYY
---------YYYYYYY

Appreciate the help!

Answer to first question is yes armour save would modify by the strenth of the attack unless it doesnt allow armour saves

answer to first question youll need to read the rule book more thoroly as such question arnt put acroos too well in such diagrams, but if more than 50% of the front rank is in the target units flank then its a flank charge.

Archangelion
30-10-2010, 19:27
I agree with Elric here, such positioning is very specific. You need to measure a 45 degree angle from the corner of your enemy's unit, whichever faceing is the greater percentage is the faceing you charge. So if your unit is mostly in the enemy's front arc then you charge the front, or the flank if that is where most of your unit is. If it is a tie, and you just can't tell or agree with your opponent. Then roll for it.

Remember that generally you would measure the charge distance from the furthest model in your unit as your unit wheels towards the target. Your unit then moves forward untill your unit hits the target, your unit then 'closes' the door (which is free movement).

I hope I didn't make any errors in this above statement. If I did, I would welcome any corrections. This is meant only as a basic primer for what happens in the charge.

I agree again with Elric that you should definatly re-read the charge and move sections of the rule book, as I think I will to, just because I like to read the rules alot... it's fun! lol

DwD
30-10-2010, 19:46
Ok thanks for the replies. This is going to sound really dumb but can you protect yourself vs magic with only armour save? I can't find it in the book at all and I've read over and over but can't actually find it. Basic logic tells me I need a ward save to stop magic, how is it?

Archangelion
30-10-2010, 19:56
When a model is wounded by an attack, that model may make saves. Unless the attack states that specific save may not be taken, or that the model is removed from play, you may make an armour save (modified by the strenth of the attack), if that fails, you may choose to make either a ward save or a regeneration save.

Just because the attack is magical, doesn't nessisarily meant that it ignores a specific type of save. Read the rules for the attack, read the rules for saves.