PDA

View Full Version : Khorne Anvil Unit?

Akrilyk
30-10-2010, 18:46
When it comes to chaos anvils all I hear about is MoT warriors with the banner for ward save and shields.

I may be shooting myself in the foot playing khorne marks only, but I wanted some input; what do you guys think would be an effective anvil unit using a mark of khorne? (hopefully only including a maximum of one character)

Thanks for the help!

snottlebocket
30-10-2010, 19:57
Khorne's more of a hammer but if you want an anvil try marauders. Warriors are a bit expensive but you can still just make a huge block of relatively cheap marauders.

Under the new rules it's easy enough to keep them stubborn, thus nice and anvilly. With the new frenzy rules they're much easier to control. Heck between the horde rules, flails and the mark of khorne they'd be a pretty good hammer at the same time. You'd just need a really big unit to manage using both steadfast and horde at the same time.

sulla
30-10-2010, 20:03
Anvil is probably the wrong word, but blocks of frenzied halberdiers take quite a bit of beating, even from the flank. They just chew through most stuff sent at them. Meanwhile, your opponent has to deal with hordes of dirt cheap frenzied GW marauders or blocks of trolls or knights marching down the flanks. WoC very easily overwhelms the enemy's resources now since it's so costly to fight anything in combat, and with khorne, you're still effective right down to the last rank as long as you don't lose frenzy.

Akrilyk
30-10-2010, 21:47
thanks for the advice. How big do you think a marauder unit needs to be to fulfill this role? for comparison, how many halberdiers would you recommend Sulla?

a

Snake1311
30-10-2010, 21:48
Khorne's version of an anvil is a spiky hammer :)

But, if you find yourself in trouble, remember you can reform the now-seen-everywhere marauder GW horde into 5x8 from its usual 10x4. Chances are, it will stay steadfast, and if its anywhere near your general/BSB, it will stay in combat as well.

Also, hellcannons tend to be a decent anvil for flanking units, beacuse of unbreakable.

But you don't really need an anvil - in most cases, if the opponent CHOOSES to get into CC with you, you should be pretty happy :) Anyway, the benefit of both of the above suggestions is that they are things that are most likely already in your army anyway.

If you go with strictly MoK, what do you do for magic defense?

Akrilyk
30-10-2010, 21:53
I was thinking about scattering characters and banners with magic resist Snake, any suggestions?

When I started Khorne way back when, before I quit then subsequently re-succumbed to the hobby, a mark of Khorne also was a dispel die. I don't know if this is still the case, I haven't even managed to acquire the 8th edition rulebook yet :P so the magic phase is highly mysterious to me.

Snake1311
30-10-2010, 22:46
Magic Resistance is terrible in this edition - all it protects against is direct damage spells like magic missles, and then its only a ward save (resistance(1) = 6+ ward). It leaves you open to all the new uber-spells, which are usually a characteristic test, or alternatively the opponent will debuff you into obscurity (or buff himself, end result is pretty much the same)

My suggestion would be to modela chained up sorcerer and stick him in one of your Khorne units, as a prisoner fluffwise. If you're really against that there'sa whole thread around here on armies without magic - but its definitely an uphill battle!

sulla
31-10-2010, 01:12
Marauders should never go smaller than 30 strong if you are hording with GW anf the MoK. 50 is about the biggest you'd go.

For warriors, I thought 15 would be the biggest you would want in this edition but 20-30 are surprisingly hard for me to deal with; especially with a character or two in there. There just aren't enough mass damage spells out there that do much to them, they shrug off most stone throwers and are almost fully effective with even just the front rank left.

Magic resistance is ok, but you would be just as well off with the MoT and the frenzy banner a lot of the time since the 6+ works on everything, not just magic.

Snake1311
31-10-2010, 01:54
I can see why you'd say 15, but up 18 is also reasonable, since you can use them with frontage of 6 - all get in base to base combat against most things

MoT+banner is indeed better than magic resistance, but again it is not a good replacement for a lvl 4 dispeller at all.

snottlebocket
31-10-2010, 08:21
thanks for the advice. How big do you think a marauder unit needs to be to fulfill this role? for comparison, how many halberdiers would you recommend Sulla?

a

I'd say about 50 at least. You need to arrive in combat with more ranks than your foe. If you start out with only 30 I'd be surprised if you even still have your maximum rank bonus by the time you charge.

Akrilyk
31-10-2010, 09:42
wow thanks for all the replies gents. Can anyone point me to the "no magic" army thread?

Eta
31-10-2010, 10:17
wow thanks for all the replies gents. Can anyone point me to the "no magic" army thread?

Second page of the tactics board - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280083.

Greetings
Eta

Akrilyk
31-10-2010, 18:24
Thanks very much!